Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

old egg beaters + new clips = difficulty clipping out?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  customfab 
#1 ·
I have an older pair (4 years+) of egg beaters crank brothers pedals.

I had to get a new set of clips because the old ones had problems staying on the shoe, were totally worn out and were coming loose always.

now the new clips are very difficult to get out of the pedal, and since the pedals don't have a tension adjustment on-the-fly, I'm finding times where I'm locked in, I fall over and panic.

I've been riding clipless forever and I'm sure the answer is to ride flat pedals, but I'd rather stay clipless.

LBS said that they should all fit together no probs but to bring it in (I will) but trying to figure out if the new clip design would not fit as well with an older egg beater pedal?

help!

#3 · (Edited)
Are you aware that Crank Bros cleats have either a 15 or 20 degree release angle depending on which shoe each cleat goes on? You can also adjust some by just turning the cleat, then tightening it down to the shoe. Check it out here ++ kronolog, eggbeaters, pumps, cranks, bottom brackets, multi tools : CrankBrothers ++
Think there's some new pre-worn cleats for sale somewhere, maybe someone can post a link.
The thick grease idea may help but will slow down the cleats wear in process and will attract dirt. Maybe just some light lube on the pedals springs so you know it's operating smoothly.

#5 ·
Hmm, interesting. Did not consider the break-in period. Good point(s).

I was scared about putting lube on them because I'd fall off or slip off when trying to get in.

Apply the dry wax lube to the pedal or the cleat?

Thanks to the responders, I do appreciate your insights :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.