OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...

My 12yr old son and I are just getting into this, it's only our second ride, we got attacked by a pit bull on Sunday. He came tearing at us from a yard on route to the trailhead, we were riding by in the bike lane on a major road. My son was in front of me about 30-40 ft, the dog was late to him so he then turned on me, it got ahold of my foot and pedal so I kept cranking and eventually shook him loose. We went another few blocks and regrouped, my foot was OK, just a little bruised. I should have called it in but decided I'd rather ride with the boy then waste my day dealing with animal control or the police, after the adrenaline wore off I regretted that decision when my wife reminded me she was attacked as a child in the same neighborhood, pitts are common in Albuquerque, especially in the valley.

So, is mace or any other detergent a common piece in your riding arsenal, is it quickly accessible when mounted? Hoppin arround on the bikes just too dangerous for The Judge.

Not looking for an "it's the owner" speech, heard it, got it, seen enough over the years to disagree, so let's move on.

Your Best Friend
    You can still report it. Animal control is better than Mace.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

AZ
    banned
    I squirt them with water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You can still report it. Animal control is better than Mace.
    +1

In my county they will quarantine the dog for a week if you report that it bit you. That should get the owner's attention. Squirting them with water usually works for me too, but with a pitt bull, I dunno. Might just piss him off. Same with mace. I mean, if you mace him and he keeps coming, then what?

mtbr member

that is why God created S&W...

I am sorry for appearing flippant, and although I do not carry, if I had, all that would have been left would be a bloody dead rodent...a pit is a totally useless excuse for Purina sorry, but way too many bad interactions with that breed...you need to protect yourself and your kids...our English Setters do not even know how to growl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-dsc01510.jpg  

OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-dsc01506.jpg  

Last edited by time229er; 02-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKINGNM View Post
    My 12yr old son and I are just getting into this, it's only our second ride, we got attacked by a pit bull on Sunday. He came tearing at us from a yard on route to the trailhead, we were riding by in the bike lane on a major road. My son was in front of me about 30-40 ft, the dog was late to him so he then turned on me, it got ahold of my foot and pedal so I kept cranking and eventually shook him loose. We went another few blocks and regrouped, my foot was OK, just a little bruised. I should have called it in but decided I'd rather ride with the boy then waste my day dealing with animal control or the police, after the adrenaline wore off I regretted that decision when my wife reminded me she was attacked as a child in the same neighborhood, pitts are common in Albuquerque, especially in the valley.

So, is mace or any other detergent a common piece in your riding arsenal, is it quickly accessible when mounted? Hoppin arround on the bikes just too dangerous for The Judge.

Not looking for an "it's the owner" speech, heard it, got it, seen enough over the years to disagree, so let's move on.
    As a Pit Bull Breeder I'm appalled that you would even consider macing a sweet Pit Bull. Not really, don't care for any aggressive breed. Mace might be a good last measure (before a big knife or pistol) but I'm a fan of a shot of water as well. Mace can spray back at you and cause some issues with maintaining control of the bike (when you can't see). Carry a water bottle and try a cold shower with the next dog but do report every incident because there are some really bad things that happen when dogs bite bikers.

mtbr member
    At the very least the animal needs to be reported. Some young kid walking by that house may not be so lucky. My dad would carry a can of ether (starting fluid) back in the day. Some of that wasp spray that shoots 20 feet will do the trick as well.

Personally I think the best thing for an aggressive pit is lead poisoning, but that tends to get folks in trouble these days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I dont agree with hurting animals in any way. But at the same time you have every right to protect yourself. Just because someone couldn't take responsibility for there dog.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Hi Mr. ROCKINGNM,

I've seen guys with pepper spray canisters attached to their hydration pack shoulder strap. The trick is deploying the device while riding the bike one handed and still hitting your target. Obviously, any wind is a major issue. Here is an example of what I've seen but I'm sure there are many brands:

Amazon.com: SABRE RED Police Strength Pepper Gel - Professional Size with Flip Top, Belt Holster & 18 Foot Range: Sports & Outdoors

While I've purchased a similar product for my wife to use while running I don't carry one while riding. However, that is primarily due to lack of need.

All that said it's always the owner's fault for allowing a dog like that to be in a position from which they can attack you.

Take care and good luck in your search!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Do yourself and everyone else a favor and report the incident. Yours will probably not be the first report. OC spray would probably have an effect, but you would have to be careful about blowback. My grandfather used to ride with a child's squirt gun full of ammonia and water to fend off the neighborhood dogs. He said it worked. Seems like it would leak though.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the feedback, the one handed windy self-macing scenario with an unfettered dog having his way with me while I lay in a quasi-fetal post crash position was kinda what I was envisioning too, so the easy one is ruled out by attrition. Something pokey or bangy isn't an option either. Deterrent is the key I'm looking to twist.

After reading a few posts I called animal control, I just honestly didn't think they would do anything if I wasn't standing there bleeding. Waiting for a call from the night officer now. Update, he just called and is patrolling the area.

I'm gonna see if there's a noise maker I can screw onto one of these inflator cartages ala' screeching bullhorn...

mtbr member
    I haven't had to do it in a long time but I've found that a squirt of water in the face will stop most dogs dead in their tracks, they just don't expect it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had something similar happen with a Pitbull. I was out for a ride in a remote park here in Pa, and a young girl had hers off leash. It all happened in slow motion, the dog running at me with no where to go. After it got a hold of my hand, I jumped off the bike and used it as a barrier as the plump girl casually came up and retrieved her dog. No apology whatsoever. It was young or I am sure it would have gone right through my gloves. Regardless, I went out and bought pepper spray.
    I ride with a hydration pack, no bottle but that may be changing. I never thought of that, so thank you.

Thanks for all the feedback, the one handed windy self-macing scenario with an unfettered dog having his way with me while I lay in a quasi-fetal post crash position was kinda what I was envisioning too, so the easy one is ruled out by attrition. Something pokey or bangy isn't an option either. Deterrent is the key I'm looking to twist.

After reading a few posts I called animal control, I just honestly didn't think they would do anything if I wasn't standing there bleeding. Waiting for a call from the night officer now. Update, he just called and is patrolling the area.

I'm gonna see if there's a noise maker I can screw onto one of these inflator cartages ala' screeching bullhorn...
    Any store that carries boating supplies should have a Freon air-horn that might work. I've never seen that used on a dog.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Definitely report it.

The owners always think it's the cyclist's fault for "taunting" the dog into attacking. The cops know that the cyclist is JRA and can be on any public road. The cops will remind the owner about leash laws and how the owner has to be in control of the dog at all times and that they will get a ticket the next time it happens. Really irritates the dog owners to hear the truth. I had to do it a couple weekends ago.

However, I get some sort of satisfaction when my foot makes high speed contact with a dog's jaw. Usually only takes one kick to train a dog, but some are dumber than others. I figure if it's over the white line and chasing me in an agressive manner, it's game on. If the dog is just wanting to play/run with me, no problem.
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team

mtbr member
    If a dog bites me I will kill it with my hands, my bike, my knife... that rock... on the spot! If it even tries to harm one of my kids I will hunt it down, end of story!
    I do not tolerate violent dogs, period!

Sorry if this is too real for some of you...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This is another reason I CCW.

AZ
    banned
    Wow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    If a dog bites me I will kill it with my hands, my bike, my knife... that rock... on the spot! If it even tries to harm one of my kids I will hunt it down, end of story!

And the award for the most over-the-top macho response goes to... Burt4x4! Thanks for the dose of "reality".
    Veni vidi velo!

I'd rather be on my bike
    I was attacked, similar situation. Pit got a hold of my foot and clamped down. Hurt like hell. Lady managed to get it off finally. I don't know if I was to blame because I startled the dog, but we were on a paved bike path, where there are walkers, and the lady has a pit. She should be aware of her surroundings, and very aware of the dog. It was aggressive. Luckily I had mtb shoes on that protected my foot. Had I been wearing regular shoes, I might have been in some trouble.

I am a dog lover, I have one dog currently. I do not like pit bulls however. I don't think that they are good pets, nor do I think that they can be sweet dogs that are fine around family because they were "trained". They are vicious animals that are unpredictable, strong and aggressive.

That being said, I have considered carrying pepper spray to prevent further incidents however I do not due to the potential blow back from wind/improper use. I usually ride with glasses, so that may help if I decide to carry it. When I commute, I have a pedal wrench in my bag....not that I would use it....unless I had to.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

mtbr member
    This thread is crazy!

I'd rather be on my bike
    Getting attacked by a Pit is crazy.

I ride bikes

Dude, you are such a badass.

meh... whatever
    Animal control is better than Mace.
    a pit bull is attacking. which is more effective in preventing immediate injury?

a.) pull out pepperspray and spray the dog
    b.) pull out cell phone and call animal control
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

Big Mac

Awesome cool man! The problem being, of course, is that many dogs do not tolerate violent humans, which is where you come to play.

mtbr member
    LOL I have two dogs...not pits...my uncle had them...and thou they were never an issue they do have that scary dog vibe...
    When I was 8 a SaintBernard bit a chunk outa my arm. My first "fight" with a dog I was protectiong my little sister and I beat him pretty good with a pipe...dogs don't scare me cuz they too have there week spots.
    1. Squerting water is one
    2. Swift kick under the jaw will stun them long enough to pick up the rock for more smashing or slashing with good ole Mr. Buck
    3. No Fear ~ if you start running straight at the dog that is attcking he will be all "WTF" acting all crazy like a hillbilly helps too hahahaha like yer drunk on whiskey

Now let's RIDE!!!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    First. It's pit bull. Not Pitt, like Brad, or pitbull, like the awful rapper.

Second. Breed has absolutely nothing to do with it (addressing some of the idiots above that had comments about how pits are terrible dogs)

It's much more statistically likely to get attacked by some of the breeds that people are most familiar with as "friendly"

That said. If I got attacked by ANY dog, I would have no problem using pepper spray or a tazer or even something drastic if I had to. The owner of that dog the OP encountered should be punished for being irresponsible.

/rant

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post

Second. Breed has absolutely nothing to do with it (addressing some of the idiots above that had comments about how pits are terrible dogs)

It's much more statistically likely to get attacked by some of the breeds that people are most familiar with as "friendly"

That said. If I got attacked by ANY dog, I would have no problem using pepper spray or a tazer or even something drastic if I had to. The owner of that dog the OP encountered should be punished for being irresponsible.

/rant

Keep playing with pits and you will get bits. Idiot
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the only time I got bit by a dog while riding I managed to get it to reconsider via kick to its face. dont know how well that would work with a larger more determined dog

mtbr member

Re: OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Keep playing with pits and you will get bits. Idiot
    So ignorant. It's a dog, dude. They are known for having good temperament. People are irresponsible in handling and training them.

mtbr member
    There are entire forums dedicated to this very debate, so I'm going to take the high road here and just say you should educate yourself before calling someone an idiot, because when your wrong and you insult someone on the premise that you're not, you look like a tool.

mtbr member
    If you were to breed fighting dogs the breed of choice would be pit bull. Why is that? Pit bulls are inherently aggressive. Most breeds came about to serve some purpose such as hunting, retrieving, protection, fighting, etc. So yes, breed has everything to do with it.

mtbr member
    The logic is opposite actually. Fighting dogs are bread to be able to be handled by people even in "fight mode" so if you really want to go there, technically, pits should be (and usually are) extremely docile toward people.

Now typical guard breeds that are bred to be loyal to only one person and through certain commands may stand up to your argument, like the doberman, German Shepherd, etc. And they're still not regarded as inherently dangerous.

I ride bikes
    There are entire forums dedicated to this very debate, so I'm going to take the high road here and just say you should educate yourself before calling someone an idiot, because when your wrong and you insult someone on the premise that you're not, you look like a tool.

Maybe read what the ASPCA says about them.
    The Truth About Pit Bulls | ASPCA

I love pitbulls and they can make amazing pets, but to ignore what they were bred for is foolish. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. A bad owner with a pitbull is far more dangerous than a bad owner with a lab or a chiwawa.

meh... whatever
    pit bulls seem to be at the top of every study regarding dog attacks, injury, and death. resultant to years of study the CDC considers them a dangerous breed, as does the army; who disallows pit bulls on base.

there are lots of studies which attempt to show the docile nature of pit bulls by comparing the ratio of the number of pits to the number of attacks. however, they are flawed studies. that's like saying, "prove it doesn't exist".

the accurate studies are based on FATALITIES AND INJURIES, and most of them show time and again that pit bulls are repeatedly at the top of the list.

just a few:

50% of dog attacks in a 5 year study were pit bulls. the other half were all breeds COMBINED. LINKY

pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. LINKY

pit bulls at the top of the list of a 20 year study of dog attack related deaths. LINKY

5 year study shows dog fatal dog attacks most common with pit bulls. LINKY

No Stranger to danger....

Mwahaha, try killing a male pit with your bare hands while its ripping one arm off, ive spent a lifetime with pitts and staffordshire terriers, you can try to gouge their eyes if they have a hold of another dog or you and they wont let go, when their brain clicks to attack mode and they get fired up one of the only things you can do is put your fingers in its ass and try and make them let go, this often works.
    And the people suggesting squirting water must not have been attacked by any pit worth its salt lol, they wouldnt even register water.
    Best thing you can do is stay away from the area and call the authorities, the owners need to have better fences, its not the dogs fault, its only doing what it thinks is right, its the owners fault, theres no point punishing the dog, that will only make them worse in the future, it will see everybody as a worse threat if you mace it, at present its defending its territory and sees you as a threat, the owners need a kick up the ass.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

meh... whatever

PSA from Tone's

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Mwahaha, try killing a male pit with your bare hands while its ripping one arm off, ive spent a lifetime with pitts and staffordshire terriers, you can gouge their eyes if they have a hold of another dog or you and they wont let go, when their brain clicks to attack mode and they get fired up one of the only things you can do is put your fingers in its ass and try and make them let go, this often works.
    And the people suggesting squirting water must not have been attacked by any pit worth its salt lol, they wouldnt even register water.
    Best thing you can do is stay away from the area and call the authorities, the owners need to have better fences, its not the dogs fault, its only doing what it thinks is right, its the owners fault, theres no point punishing the dog, that will only make them worse in the future, it will see everybody as a worse threat if you mace it, at present its defending its territory and sees you as a threat, the owners need a kick up the ass.
    so the dog gets a finger and the owner a foot.... got it!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Maybe read what the ASPCA says about them.
    The Truth About Pit Bulls | ASPCA

I love pitbulls and they can make amazing pets, but to ignore what they were bred for is foolish. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. A bad owner with a pitbull is far more dangerous than a bad owner with a lab or a chiwawa.
    Did you read it though? It kind of makes my point in this paragraph,
    -----
    Are Pit Bulls Dangerous to People?

Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people. Handlers bathed their opponent’s dog before a match, stood in the pits with the battling dogs and often pulled them apart to end a fight. Any dog who behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Pit bulls typically lived in their owner’s homes, where they earned the nickname “nursemaid’s dog” because they were so reliable with young children. In fact, “Pete the Pup,” the children’s friend from the old TV series “Our Gang,” was a pit bull.
    -----
    but I will agree with what you said. It's like saying "a criminal worth a knife is more dangerous than a cop with a gun"

/rant

First off im on your side i love pitts, but if you have a knowledge of their history and understand the dogs, you will realise it has everything to do with the breed, and to be responsible with them you need to take that into account.
    Pitts and Staffies are bred to fight other dogs, thats a fact, their brain works different to many other species of dogs, its built into their genes.
    As an owner you can have perfectly behaved examples for a lifetime, great around a family, etc, then that passive dog can be by itself, see another dog and want to kill it, ive seen it 100 times, not every pitt is like this, but some are regardless of how they are raised, its very naive to think it has nothing to do with breed, they are bred to fight, its as simple as that.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    pit bulls seem to be at the top of every study regarding dog attacks, injury, and death. resultant to years of study the CDC considers them a dangerous breed, as does the army; who disallows pit bulls on base.

there are lots of studies which attempt to show the docile nature of pit bulls by comparing the ratio of the number of pits to the number of attacks. however, they are flawed studies. that's like saying, "prove it doesn't exist".

the accurate studies are based on FATALITIES AND INJURIES, and most of them show time and again that pit bulls are repeatedly at the top of the list.

just a few:

50% of dog attacks in a 5 year study were pit bulls. the other half were all breeds COMBINED. LINKY

pit bulls are associated with higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than are attacks by other breeds of dogs. LINKY

pit bulls at the top of the list of a 20 year study of dog attack related deaths. LINKY

5 year study shows dog fatal dog attacks most common with pit bulls. LINKY
    This humbles my previous post a bit. Thank you for the links. Looks like I may have spoken too soon. I still think it's incredibly over hyped and people's hatred toward pits is the product of a lot of fear mongering.

-----

Despite the fact that pit bulls were bred to fight with each other, early breeders took pride in producing dogs that were trustworthy and friendly to people. Handlers bathed their opponent’s dog before a match, stood in the pits with the battling dogs and often pulled them apart to end a fight. Any dog who behaved aggressively toward a person was culled, or killed, to avoid passing on such an undesirable trait. Pit bulls typically lived in their owner’s homes, where they earned the nickname “nursemaid’s dog” because they were so reliable with young children. In fact, “Pete the Pup,” the children’s friend from the old TV series “Our Gang,” was a pit bull.
    -----
    but I will agree with what you said. It's like saying "a criminal worth a knife is more dangerous than a cop with a gun"

I agree with you here, and you obviously know plenty about the breed, not many know they were called nursemaids or grandparent dogs, i agree pitts are fine with most people, but they can be real dangerous around other dogs unless they have been trained very well.

meh... whatever
    -----

-----

"early breeders" is the qualifier for the information contained within that paragraph.

mtbr member

First off im on your side i love pitts, but if you have a knowledge of their history and understand the dogs, you will realise it has everything to do with the breed, and to be responsible with them you need to take that into account.
    Pitts and Staffies are bred to fight other dogs, thats a fact, their brain works different to many other species of dogs, its built into their genes.
    As an owner you can have perfectly behaved examples for a lifetime, great around a family, etc, then that passive dog can be by itself, see another dog and want to kill it, ive seen it 100 times, not every pitt is like this, but some are regardless of how they are raised, its very naive to think it has nothing to do with breed, they are bred to fight, its as simple as that.
    I didn't necessarily address this, which I agree with an concede, because the OP was talking about dogs attacking people, not other dogs. I fostered pits and never liked the idea of letting them around other "random" dogs without the correct formal introduction

mtbr member

"early breeders" is the qualifier for the information contained within that paragraph.
    But isn't that where people contend the her their "mean streak"? Early on in their history?

meh... whatever
    This humbles my previous post a bit. Thank you for the links. Looks like I may have spoken too soon. I still think it's incredibly over hyped and people's hatred toward pits is the product of a lot of fear mongering.
    my intent was not to prove they're an inherently vicious breed, but rather to just look at the evidence of injury related to breed from a health care providers point of view.

i'll not dispute that lots of pits are great pets, and the information you provided about pits was spot on. however, from a straight standpoint of percent of breed responsible for injury and death the pit bull leads far and away.

there were a couple of reports recently about pit bull related deaths by animals that were "nursemaid" dogs. one was a 12 year old boy who was killed by a pit bull the family had owned for years and considered to be docile, safe, and trustworthy. they went out and left the boy and the dog alone and came back to the bloody, mauled carcass of their son.

while other dogs do bite and even attack, as others have pointed out, once the pit goes into fight mode he will generally not back down (unless you can get your fingers up his butt) and the attack is generally much worse than for other breeds.

mtbr member
    I'm also curious if the numbers are skewed because of how many people actually report bites from other breeds and also the demographics that tend to own pits, not to mention the fact that their likely one of the most popular breeds, and last, how many "mixed breed" dogs are labeled as pits because they have a terrier look to them

mtbr member
    First off, there are no such things as bad dogs, only bad owners who are irresponsible and probably shouldn't even of had a dog in the first place. Certain breeds require a certain type of owner. I have a Lab and have come across many pit bulls at the parks and the ones that are always problematic are the ones you see attached to some homeless or ghetto person. The majority of ones are the sweetest dogs in the world and as obedient as they come. Dogs always get the bad rap, but its the dog owners that need to be held responsible. If your dog, regardless of breed, tends to run after cyclists, then keep them on a leash or securely fenced in. Nothing inhumane about either and its what normal dog owners do anyways. If a person doesn't care enough about their dog to where they don't them to get run over by a car, then chances are, they probably don't care to train them the way they should or do spend the time with them like they should.

I'm an absolute dog lover and have been bit by a chihuahua. Any time you get bit by any sort of animal, domestic or wild, its always good to report it. If someone doesn't care about their dog that much, then they probably don't care to get it vaccinated.

Being a dog lover, would I ever "mace" one? If its between my life or one of my kids', then I would mace the dog twice to insure the safety of my family. It could also save the dogs life as well because if a dog attacks you and you report it, chances are that the dog could get put down so macing one doesn't sound that bad afterall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    I squirt them with water.

Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I usually stop and confront the dog. Most of the time they are chasing the bike not you. If not I use the bike as a shield and weapon if they do not back down. Usually only takes 20 feet of walking and the dog turns around.

these are my steps 2 and 3.
    step 1 is a good firm NO, or STAY! as I ride at them, like I'm the aggressor.

Usually, I can tell by the body language, if they're chasing just to chase. Sometimes I even play along, letting them get in really close before I blast them with water. Thankfully, I've only had 2 real encounters, out of countless, countless, chases. The trick is knowing when to get off the bike, before it's too late.

meh... whatever
    But isn't that where people contend the her their "mean streak"? Early on in their history?
    it seems to be credited there, but i would suggest that's inaccurate. as the article mentioned the early breeders culled out dogs aggressive to humans and fighting pits was not the blood sport it is today.

had the methodologies of he early breeders been followed over the last 150 years i doubt the pit would rank at the top of the list of the studies i mentioned.

sadly, i believe it is man who had bred the aggression and instability into the breed.

my mom had a pit she got as a puppy and she was the sweetest, most docile dog you could imagine. then one day her little terrier (a jack russell) was harassing one of my mom's goats as was his daily routine when the animals would all run and play together. daisy (the pit) joined into the chase and it was all fun and games no different from any other day until she snapped and attacked the goat without ANY provocation or warning. she ripped one of it's ears off, left the other mangled and hanging by a thread, inflicted countless puncture wounds to the head and neck, and ripped her throat open. repeated application of a shovel was needed to free the goat. daisy was culled.

personally, i would never own one.

I'm also curious if the numbers are skewed because of how many people actually report bites from other breeds and also the demographics that tend to own pits, not to mention the fact that their likely one of the most popular breeds, and last, how many "mixed breed" dogs are labeled as pits because they have a terrier look to them

you make some really good points here, theres no doubt pitts are reported more than any other dogs because of their capabilities and the fear they put in people, the numbers would be skewed for sure, no body is going to report maltese terriers or other little dogs that love to nip people.

mtbr member

it seems to be credited there, but i would suggest that's inaccurate. as the article mentioned the early breeders culled out dogs aggressive to humans and fighting pits was not the blood sport it is today.

had the methodologies of he early breeders been followed over the last 150 years i doubt the pit would rank at the top of the list of the studies i mentioned.

sadly, i believe it is man who had bred the aggression and instability into the breed.

my mom had a pit she got as a puppy and she was the sweetest, most docile dog you could imagine. then one day her little terrier (a jack russell) was harassing one of my mom's goats as was his daily routine when the animals would all run and play together. daisy (the pit) joined into the chase and it was all fun and games no different from any other day until she snapped and attacked the goat without ANY provocation or warning. she ripped one of it's ears off, left the other mangled and hanging by a thread, inflicted countless puncture wounds to the head and neck, and ripped her throat open. repeated application of a shovel was needed to free the goat. daisy was culled.

personally, i would never own one.
    Where I'm from its too much trouble to own them anyway. I'm just miles north of Miami Dade County where they're illegal to own. Not a single apartment complex I've ever revved from our looked into allows them on the premises. If I had land though, I definitely would have one (preferably mixed with something smaller).

mtbr member

you make some really good points here, theres no doubt pitts are reported more than any other dogs because of their capabilities and the fear they put in people, the numbers would be skewed for sure, no body is going to report maltese terriers or other little dogs that love to nip people.
    A good friend was hospitalized by a bite to the face... Maltese

meh... whatever
    these aren't merely reported bites, such as the OP experienced. the studies to which i refer reference serious injuries and death.

what these studies seem to routinely reflect is that the pit is responsible for disproportionately more serious attacks, maulings, and deaths than other breeds - generally in the 35-50% range.

mtbr member
    That's fair. But that's like classifying martial artists as having more serious punches than regular people lol

meh... whatever
    i'm still sitting here laughing imaging tone's "neutralizing" a pit attack. it sparked this mental image of you swearing at the dog in loud oz accent, putting two fingers together, and then the dog yelping and running for cover!

classic stuff there, mate.

meh... whatever
    That's fair. But that's like classifying martial artists as having more serious punches than regular people lol

so by that token, if we looked at the hospital statistics of injuries caused by punches and found that martial artists received the majority of them - would it not stand to reason that if one wanted to minimize his risk of being seriously punched he would avoid becoming a martial artist?

mtbr member

so by that token, if we looked at the hospital statistics of injuries caused by punches and found that martial artists received the majority of them - would it not stand to reason that if one wanted to minimize his risk of being seriously punched he would avoid becoming a martial artist?
    Touche!

AZ
    banned
    Christ here we go again. I'm surprised that anyone rides since it's obviously so dangerous to leave the house, what with all the people getting bit by dogs and the Ninjas that fight them off hand to hand.

these aren't merely reported bites, such as the OP experienced. the studies to which i refer reference serious injuries and death.

what these studies seem to routinely reflect is that the pit is responsible for disproportionately more serious attacks, maulings, and deaths than other breeds - generally in the 35-50% range.
    But this is because they are the most capable breed that can do it, not many other breeds can lock jaw and switch on like a pit, they can kill dogs twice their size, if one attacked you and meant business, youd know about it.
    Theres some very interesting vids on the net of pitts killing humans, mostly their owners, caught on camera by people that didnt know what to do, some of these attacks last 30+ minutes, never has there been a dog breed more capable of hurting a human being than a pitt, so by their very nature if one attacks a person its going to be worse damage than any other breed.
    But i think some of the smaller terrier breeds bite and attack people more than pitts, it just doesnt get reported as a serious attack, they dont have the capability, im more worried about patting a maltese terrier than a pit, im even more wary of a chiwawa than a pitt, id class these dogs as more unpredictable than a pitt.
    I take my dog to a dog park every day with about 20 other dogs there, its only the little buggers that try to bite you when you pat them.

mtbr member

Christ here we go again. I'm surprised that anyone rides since it's obviously so dangerous to leave the house, what with all the people getting bit by dogs and the Ninjas that fight them off hand to hand.
    Danger's my middle name...

meh... whatever
    if you own a pit it might be SAFER to get out of your house and ride.

since 4/10/2009
    buncha fackin idiots in this thread.

Report the dog that attacked in this case. Do not pass go. If a dog hurts a person, report it. Depending on state law, the owner may be liable for any damages, or even be criminally liable. At minimum, the dog will likely be quarantined for a rabies watch, which is good policy no matter what.

In the future, yes, you can use a pepper spray. There is even one marketed for use against dogs. Halt! Make sure you get one that sprays a strong stream, not a wide fog, so you are less likely to spray yourself, and you have some space to work in case the dog does not react as strongly as you'd like.

State laws vary, though, so make sure you know the extent of response your state permits. Most allow you to protect yourself, your family, and your livestock from even threatening dogs, and some permit a lethal response.

While commuting, I've actually found my AirZound air horn to be at least somewhat effective. I have successfully scared off chasing dogs with it. Not sure how effective it would be under all circumstances. It may depend on the motivation of the individual dog (same with a simple water spray).

To those who decry this method, are you suggesting allowing your child or yourself to be maimed or killed by a dog just because you are opposed to a painful deterrent spray? Sorry, but the safety of my family/myself trumps the safety of someone else's poorly-behaved and poorly-controlled dog...or even a feral dog (which is usually a good bit more dangerous).

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

Report the dog that attacked in this case. Do not pass go. If a dog hurts a person, report it. Depending on state law, the owner may be liable for any damages, or even be criminally liable. At minimum, the dog will likely be quarantined for a rabies watch, which is good policy no matter what.

In the future, yes, you can use a pepper spray. There is even one marketed for use against dogs. Halt! Make sure you get one that sprays a strong stream, not a wide fog, so you are less likely to spray yourself, and you have some space to work in case the dog does not react as strongly as you'd like.

State laws vary, though, so make sure you know the extent of response your state permits. Most allow you to protect yourself, your family, and your livestock from even threatening dogs, and some permit a lethal response.

While commuting, I've actually found my AirZound air horn to be at least somewhat effective. I have successfully scared off chasing dogs with it. Not sure how effective it would be under all circumstances. It may depend on the motivation of the individual dog (same with a simple water spray).

To those who decry this method, are you suggesting allowing your child or yourself to be maimed or killed by a dog just because you are opposed to a painful deterrent spray? Sorry, but the safety of my family/myself trumps the safety of someone else's poorly-behaved and poorly-controlled dog...or even a feral dog (which is usually a good bit more dangerous).
    Idiots? I don't see many people saying not to report it. Sooo....

since 4/10/2009
    Idiots? I don't see many people saying not to report it. Sooo....

that's not the idiocy I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Well then you're just plain rude lol.

mtbr member
    LOL two fingers LOL OMG hahahaa..F'n GREAT!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    To those that have not been seriously attacked by a larger dog, it is very hard to defend yourself from an all out attack. I am not saying it cannot be done, but it is difficult and you will get hurt. I understand some will blow this off but all dogs are animals and even well trained dogs can snap and attack. Good luck recovering any cost related to your injuries it will take you alot of money and a bunch of time, only to find out that the owner (if there is one) will only have to pay a small amount. The injuries that may receive from a serious dog attacks can and often do last a lifetime. I have been around thousands of strange dogs as I was in a seviced based industry that required me to be inside homes with dogs. That said 99% of dogs are fine, but I took the 1% very seriously. I would say if there was a large dog attacking you or anyone for that matter, KILL it legally if you can. Again dogs are animals first and pets second. I say this because a freinds dog that was a really great dog for 9 yrs and I can not recall it even growling once. After attacking a gentlemen the dog was never the same, it would nip and growl untill it bit it's owner badly and he had the dog put down. I know most people will not be able to do this and will be upset at what I have said but it is my opinion and nothing else, because untill the laws change and hold dog owners truly responsible you are on you own to defend yourself before injuries are received from an attacking dog.

On a side note I have been told pepper spay is not the best choice. I was instructed to use "Halt" dog spray, Bear spray, or a stun gun as less lethal choices.

since 4/10/2009
    Well then you're just plain rude lol.

Thank you for your expert assessment.

Rogue Exterminator

I am sure pretty much everything has been said but I will say it anyways.

1) I would still report it. It could prevent somebody from getting terribly hurt. Even if it is too late to do anything, it will be on record.

2) Yes pepper spray is a perfectly acceptable way to deter an aggressive animal or person of any type. Your safety and your sons safety should be your only concern.

3) That being said, IMHO if you are a legal gun carrier I am not opposed to shooting an unrestrained animal that is attempting to cause you harm. (I know this will be controversial but I don't care) Next time your son or some other kid might be riding by and the dog seriously injures or even kills somebody. Then I am sure we will hear the owner claim how the dog has never shown any signs of aggression.

I am not opposed to dogs of any breeds. I have several friends who own the nicest sweetest pits you would ever meet. I am however opposed to aggressive animals particularly those who could cause serious injury to innocent people.

Please, at the very least report it. At least this way the owner can't claim they didn't know.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twonin9r View Post
    so ignorant. It's a dog, dude. They are known for having good temperament. People are irresponsible in handling and training them.

Sent from my samsung-sgh-i537 using tapatalk
    OMG
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member

I would use some mace or a gun. I had a pit bull attack my family when coming home from my mother in laws funeral. I was in no mood and beat the dog with a tire iron. Protect your family.

What would you have done if the dog bite your son? If the dog had brought him down, what do you think it would have done?
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member

I understand where you are coming from. You may need a gun but I agree with you.

mtbr member
    Wow, I'm humbled by the response, thank you all for taking my concerns so seriously.

Just to catch up, I did report the incident, and I received a response from the county animal compliance officer today. He found the dog and considers it "aggressive", however his power to address the situation are limited since the dog was behind a fence when he found it. The good thing is that the owner is not simply scott free, the animal was not chipped or registered so he has 5 working days to comply or the animal will be detained, the owner is only 17, no job, and lives with relatives, so he also considers the dog a flight risk. The officer also told me the animal was livid to his presence and is going to place it on the watch list of "potentially aggressive animals", once it is registered. It's not the official "dangerous animal" database but a datapoint in case anything ever happens. Best he could do, and I appreciate his effort.

I ordered HALT! today, it seems like a good option, just not the "best". The Zounds thing looks like an option I may explore as well. Through the rubble of the thread, I gathered some sound advise; a little more awareness, some prevention, and preparation will go a long way.

Thanks to all, I see you rollin.

mtbr member

The only logical post in this thread...

Rogue Exterminator
    Wow, I'm humbled by the response, thank you all for taking my concerns so seriously.

Just to catch up, I did report the incident, and I received a response from the county animal compliance officer today. He found the dog and considers it "aggressive", however his power to address the situation are limited since the dog was behind a fence when he found it. The good thing is that the owner is not simply scott free, the animal was not chipped or registered so he has 5 working days to comply or the animal will be detained, the owner is only 17, no job, and lives with relatives, so he also considers the dog a flight risk. The officer also told me the animal was livid to his presence and is going to place it on the watch list of "potentially aggressive animals", once it is registered. It's not the official "dangerous animal" database but a datapoint in case anything ever happens. Best he could do, and I appreciate his effort.

I ordered HALT! today, it seems like a good option, just not the "best". The Zounds thing looks like an option I may explore as well. Through the rubble of the thread, I gathered some sound advise; a little more awareness, some prevention, and preparation will go a long way.

Thanks to all, I see you rollin.
    Glad to hear it.
    Unfortunately it is true the officer can not do anything unless there is proof the dog was improperly detained and proposed danger to you. If you would have actual bite marks it would have been a different story. Unfortunately it is not illegal to own a mean dog. However, now the owner can't pretend he didn't know and the dog is on a list.

The sad thing is this could of all been avoided but it sounds like the owner is a POS kid that wanted a Pit for the "cool factor". Instead he gives a bad name to responsible Pit owners and eventually the dog will probably get destroyed.

I'd rather be on my bike
    I am all for total extermination of the breed. They are not allowed at the complex where I live, and for that, I am grateful. When I lived with my wife, our neighbor was one of those POS that "breeds" them, yeah, for money. Not because he loved the dogs, nope. He treated those dogs like crap, and they were aggressive as hell. The male and female would be fighting in the backyard. Made me nervous to mow the lawn in our back yard, with just a 6 foot chain link fence separating us. I would often hook a hammer in my cargo shorts just in case. They were right up on the fence, growling and barking at me, pushing the fence with their face...could feel the hot breath of them as I tried to just hurry up and get that part done. I would often just wait to do that side when the dogs weren't outside. Yeah, such a wonderful breed, so family friendly and calm tempered.

I came home one day, and the female was sitting in the driveway. She got out. I was honestly scared to get out of the car. She sat there and just stared at us. I felt like I was in a modern day Cujo. Called animal control, and they came finally, but not before the girlfriend came home to find the dog had gotten out.

Just for the record. Here is my dog. He is about as aggressive as a marshmallow. Full blown lazy as hell Chihuahua that might have been dropped on his head as a new born puppy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Protect yourself, sure. But exterminating the dog is like blaming and killing a 3 year old for the abuse and neglect they suffer under their ******* parents. When a 5 year old shoots his 3 year old playmate, who do you blame?
    Exterminating the entire breed results in a lot of needless death, because another breed takes its place. This does not solve the problem.

Don't exterminate the breed,...unless your talking about the "breed" of insecure, dumb as bricks, *******s who neglect and abuse animals, and purchase certain animals and then neglect and abuse them to make up for thier personal inadaquacies. This happens with all types of animals. I'm all for total extermination that "breed" of people.

There are many small and miniature dog breeds that are super agressive for similar reasons. The owners coddle and praise agressive and dominant behavior and treat their animal like a stuffed toy. The agressive dominance is overlooked or even enciuraged because it's "so cute". **** them. Horrible owners are just as much at fault for small dog syndrome. That "breed" of people should also face total extermination.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Back in the 80's I carried Halt with me on my commute. I only had to use it twice. Two uses emptied the small canister I had. It is effective at short range. Due to the fact that it shoots a narrow stream, you just keep spraying and zeroing in until you're hitting the dog full in the face. Keep hosing the offending mutt in the face until it stops its attempts to grab your ankles.
    Each time I did that, the dog stopped and started sneezing.

I have broken Zefal pumps over canine heads twice!

I once had to clobber a nasty German Shepherd with a baseball sized rock, hurled straight down on its noggin just before it was going to grab my ankle. Ha, the dog bit the dust, but survived. It never chased me again!

I have had to dismount several times and use my bike as a shield, yelling as loudly as I could until the owner came out and called their mutt off. Then I gave the owner(s) a piece of my mind, promising to call animal control and the cops if it ever happens again. It can cost the owner big bucks to keep a dog once it officially has been determined to be dangerous.

Only once was I forced to take really drastic action. I was on a workout ride on my road bike going top speed in high gear when a large mixed breed resembling a wolf charged me from across the highway. It burst out of the shrubbery about 80 or 90 feet in front of me and was coming at a 45 degree angle with its head down and growling. It looked like it meant to take me down!
    I had toe clips, and I yanked my left foot out and was going to try to dismount, but I was going too fast. Everything was happening too fast. The beast was almost upon me, when I angled right at it. The dog suddenly noticed that the tables might be turning, and stuck out both of its front legs to try to stop. Too late! My front wheel rolled right over its legs. Simultaneously, I kicked my left foot (still unclipped) forward so as to counteract the sudden de-acceleration of hitting the dog. My foot caught the dog in its underbelly just as my left pedal clocked it in the side of its head. I head some cracking as my wheels rolled over the dogs legs, too.
    To my surprise, I remained upright and kept going.
    I heard loud yelping, and lookd back to see the dog flopping on the shoulder of the road, with both of its legs broken. Of course I did not stop to go back and render aid. i wanted that beast to die.

A couple of months later, i saw the dog with its owners out for a walk. The dog was limping along on three legs (one had to be amputated). I asked them what happened. They said their dog got hit out in front of their house, and the A-hole who did it didn't even stop. I didn't say anything except to commment, "Bummer!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm going to try a marine air horn. The small canister is really loud. I've got a couple of 'em.
    I no longer carry a cane knife on my rear rack, but I just picked up a 5" fixed blade commando knife with a nice lightweight nylon sheath. I'll be wearing that. No need to try to flick the blade open when sh*t is happening...just yank it out!

A fun method that might work on a bike (my Uncle did this with his Studebaker) is to fasten a loose burlap bag to the front wheel (on the passenger side), using one of the lug nuts. This is a good method by which to flummox the serial tire biters. Beats some sense into their noggins when their teeth get caught in the burlap, and their heads go round and round. I have yet to figured out how to set this kind of thing up on my bike, though.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    I am all for total extermination of the breed. They are not allowed at the complex where I live, and for that, I am grateful. When I lived with my wife, our neighbor was one of those POS that "breeds" them, yeah, for money. Not because he loved the dogs, nope. He treated those dogs like crap, and they were aggressive as hell. The male and female would be fighting in the backyard. Made me nervous to mow the lawn in our back yard, with just a 6 foot chain link fence separating us. I would often hook a hammer in my cargo shorts just in case. They were right up on the fence, growling and barking at me, pushing the fence with their face...could feel the hot breath of them as I tried to just hurry up and get that part done. I would often just wait to do that side when the dogs weren't outside. Yeah, such a wonderful breed, so family friendly and calm tempered.

I came home one day, and the female was sitting in the driveway. She got out. I was honestly scared to get out of the car. She sat there and just stared at us. I felt like I was in a modern day Cujo. Called animal control, and they came finally, but not before the girlfriend came home to find the dog had gotten out.

Just for the record. Here is my dog. He is about as aggressive as a marshmallow. Full blown lazy as hell Chihuahua that might have been dropped on his head as a new born puppy.

Honestly if I had neighbors like that their dog(s) might get a nice treat of ground beef laced with rat poison.

mtbr member
    i say go ahead and mace them, bear spray them, shoot them if they are attacking you.

i call for total extermination of the Chihuahua breed.

I'd rather be on my bike
    LOL. My Chihuahua attacks his naps and the pillow on the couch because he can't get it arranged how he wants it. He has never even growled at anyone, let alone snapped or bit anyone. He stands there just looking, tail wagging 100mph, kind of a grin on his face. I can walk up, right when he is eating, and take his food bowl. He just stands there like OK, that's cool.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Honestly if I had neighbors like that their dog(s) might get a nice treat of ground beef laced with rat poison.
    I'd probably just 'accidentally' drain some of the radiator in the driveway.

"Well I'm sorry she licked up all that antifreeze, but why weren't you watching your dog?"

Naw, actually I wouldn't. But I would entertain the thought as I called the proper authorities...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have been chased by dogs a few times myself. A lot of times the dogs want to run with the bike and means no harm.

If you have never been attacked by a medium/large seize dog you have no idea how scary it is. Unless you have some way of defending yourself you will end up very hurt/dead if no one is there to help you.

I always carry a kubotan. This very small(fits in palm of hand with tip sticking out) and lightweight aluminum stick is attached to my camelback. It is mounted in such a way that I can always grab it and rip it off.

The tip is bone crushing if you have a dog hanging on one arm, you can grab this stick and land it on its skull. I guarantee you that if the dog survives you will have its attention.

I don't mess around with aggressive dogs and will not become a victim of one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    honda seatcovers
    winter warm and summer cool
    little lambs no more

Merendon Junkie
    One day, I was minding my own business kneeling on the sidewalk about a block away from my house pumping up my bike tires when all of a sudden I felt that something very messed up was happening to my shoulder. I turned around and there was my neighbors chow chow clamping down on my shoulder. I shook him loose and when he charged again I managed to grab him from the fur on his neck with both of my hands. I found myself holding an extremelly pissed of dog in the air and didnt know what to do with it. I ended up throwing him as far as I could and climbing on a pickup truck that was parked nearby. I had 5 bleeding gouges on my shoulder, had to get a tetanus and a rabies shot just in case.

The neighbor that owns that dog also happens to be my best friend. I talked to him and tried to convince him to get rid of the dog as it was totally unpredictable. He argued and said the usual stuff, "its never done that, maybe the bike set him off, blah blah blah" So I told him that next time I would be carrying a knife and if the dog jumped on me again, I was gonna stab it to death. Luckily that next time never happend, one week later the chow jumped on his owner (my friend) and bit him on his stomach when he was trying leash it to take it for a walk. The dog got a .40 to the head after that. Not from my friend (who is a pu$$y) but by his father. He said that there was no way that he was gonna wait for an unpredictable dog like that to bite one of his grandkids. His dad is a total animal lover btw, rescues all types of hurt birds that have crashed to windows and owns like 5 dogs himself, but he is not stupid. Never put a dog before a human being and please dont compare it to a 3 year old human infant that accidentally shoots someone with a gun like a previous poster did.

Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    One day, I was minding my own business kneeling on the sidewalk about a block away from my house pumping up my bike tires when all of a sudden I felt that something very messed up was happening to my shoulder. I turned around and there was my neighbors chow chow clamping down on my shoulder. I shook him loose and when he charged again I managed to grab him from the fur on his neck with both of my hands. I found myself holding an extremelly pissed of dog in the air and didnt know what to do with it. I ended up throwing him as far as I could and climbing on a pickup truck that was parked nearby. I had 5 bleeding gouges on my shoulder, had to get a tetanus and a rabies shot just in case.

The neighbor that owns that dog also happens to be my best friend. I talked to him and tried to convince him to get rid of the dog as it was totally unpredictable. He argued and said the usual stuff, "its never done that, maybe the bike set him off, blah blah blah" So I told him that next time I would be carrying a knife and if the dog jumped on me again, I was gonna stab it to death. Luckily that next time never happend, one week later the chow jumped on his owner (my friend) and bit him on his stomach when he was trying leash it to take it for a walk. The dog got a .40 to the head after that. Not from my friend (who is a pu$$y) but by his father. He said that there was no way that he was gonna wait for an unpredictable dog like that to bite one of his grandkids. His dad is a total animal lover btw, rescues all types of hurt birds that have crashed to windows and owns like 5 dogs himself, but he is not stupid. Never put a dog before a human being and please dont compare it to a 3 year old human infant that accidentally shoots someone with a gun like a previous poster did.
    Chows are a notoriously unpredictable breed, a fairly uncommon dog compared to most breeds but they have a bad name for attacking people, when i was about 10 an old man up the street used to breed them, i was chased by them a few times and was really scared of them after a while, they attacked two people really bad in the street, one ripped an old womans calf muscle out of her leg, it was destroyed and he ended up moving out to the country, im way more wary of chow chows than pitts.

Quote Originally Posted by Learux View Post
    I have been chased by dogs a few times myself. A lot of times the dogs want to run with the bike and means no harm.

If you have never been attacked by a medium/large seize dog you have no idea how scary it is. Unless you have some way of defending yourself you will end up very hurt/dead if no one is there to help you.

I always carry a kubotan. This very small(fits in palm of hand with tip sticking out) and lightweight aluminum stick is attached to my camelback. It is mounted in such a way that I can always grab it and rip it off.

The tip is bone crushing if you have a dog hanging on one arm, you can grab this stick and land it on its skull. I guarantee you that if the dog survives you will have its attention.

I don't mess around with aggressive dogs and will not become a victim of one.
    Hi mate, i can guarentee you a fired up pit wouldnt even feel this even if you got him in the skull 10 times, nor would you do any bone damage in a pitt, the adrenaline they produce means they feel zero pain in attack mode, if youve ever seen real pitt fights youd realise they dont feel a thing, similar to two humans fighting, you dont feel a thing in a fight, especially to the head area, but what they dont like is anything going in their ass, your 100 times better putting your fingers in a pitts ass if your getting attacked by one.
    I have been in the middle of two pits fighting trying to break them up numerous times, ive even resorted to punching them in the head that had its jaw locked on to the others throat exposing its muscles underneath, full blown king hits, to which they dont even register or blink an eye lid.
    I can see most here with ideas to stop a serious pitt attack have no experience with the dogs and really underestimate them.

Your Best Friend
    a pit bull is attacking. which is more effective in preventing immediate injury?

a.) pull out pepperspray and spray the dog
    b.) pull out cell phone and call animal control
    You misunderstand me. I totally agree with you but we are talking after the fact here. It is not too late to call animal control for this dog. Mace is not going to help you or the next helpless person to pass the dog.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    maybe, just maybe, this thread has gotten a little bit too radical...but then again, maybe not...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-dsc01722.jpg  

2014 Nail Trail 29...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post

Are you one of those dipshits that thinks it's funny when his chihuahua wants to eat someone, because it's magically okay because the dog is small, but when a big dog behaves that way, it's time to exterminate the breed?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I am an avid runner that has moved around the U.S. a bit and found that some areas of the country have more responsible dog owners than others (just an observation). For some reason I have never been charged by a dog while biking, but running it has happened quite a bit. One example, there were three dogs off the leash that came out at me. Two at the front and one looped around behind me. I waved my arms up and moved to face all three and shouted. We played this game for about 3-5 stressful minutes before they lost interest and I could walk away. Multiple times I have been charged by dogs, and standing my ground has worked every time.

On a side note this thread needs Cesar Milan!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Are you one of those dipshits that thinks it's funny when his chihuahua wants to eat someone, because it's magically okay because the dog is small, but when a big dog behaves that way, it's time to exterminate the breed?
    Ecactly.

Not mace, but generally effective at reducing the aggressiveness of anything it's stuck in. Wear this on my camelback because work is not good with a concealed firearm.

mtbr member
    Yes, mace, pepper spray, bike pump across the muzzle, gun, knife to the throat, choke to death are all acceptable when you're being attacked by a dog.

I've been chased a couple times, once while going uphill so I couldn't outrun the mutt so I took my water bottle out and sprayed him right in the face. I had grapefruit juice/water mix in that bottle.

mtbr member
    I always carry a light weight 9mm or a S&W airweight 38 special with +p's. I would not hesitate to kill any aggressive dog especially around children. I've raised American Pitbull terriers and American Bulldog's for over 25 years. They are great dogs, got 3 sleeping in front of my wood stove as I type. But if they are aggressive they need to be put down.You are going to take some serious damage if you have to fight a pitbull without a firearm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

This is not uncommon, I was trying to start a gas lawnmower, pulling the starter cord when I was completely knocked ass over tea kettle when a friend's 80lb husky blue healer cross lunged at me from behind. I think the animals have some primal thought that you are punching something (the pumping and pulling of a starter cord are similar actions) and launch into action. I could not believe the force of the dog. It bit me in the ass, and I too felt the dog should be shot. She said that the dog had been abused while younger, I don't care. I have also been attacked on my motorcycle by two dogs in tandem coming at me in a "V" formation from either side of the road. The only saving grace is that I somehow managed to jump up and stand on my seat and they still almost knocked me off. I won't kill a spider, I have a dog, but I now always carry a knife (for other reasons as well, it's a locking Victorniox) and will stab a dog if they come that close to me, (that is IF I can get the knife out.) You know what I mean if you've been bitten by a larger dog, I never want that to happen again. Shitty irresponsible owners.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Eat someone? The dog is small, hell, he is tiny. Weighs less than 5 lbs. He is totally docile.

I am one of those "dipshits" that thinks that no matter how much of a baby you think your Pit Bull is, it is a completely unpredictable machine capable of killing people. The breed should be exterminated. You think my dog could kill someone?

mtbr member

Choose your target

Only mace the dog if he's an ass. Protecting your kid and yourself is most important. Just don't be trigger happy and be sure to give my dog the benefit of the doubt. He's adorable and friendly, he'll run up to you just to get a bit of love.

OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-max.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Never put a dog before a human being and please dont compare it to a 3 year old human infant that accidentally shoots someone with a gun like a previous poster did.
    You obviously completely missed my point. Blame the shitty owner, not the dog.

Wow. Didn't think I'd actually have to spell that out for anyone...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

And he answered yes to your question. He is definitely one of those dipshits.

gobsmacked Moderator
    I've always just kicked at dogs. worked just fine and my manliness is intact.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    You obviously completely missed my point. Blame the shitty owner, not the dog.

Wow. Didn't think I'd actually have to spell that out for anyone...
    Yes I understand your point, and its wrong. A dog owner is not always to blame for a dog that snaps. Some dogs just go crazy one day, some breeds are more prone than others.

cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes I understand your point, and its wrong. A dog owner is not always to blame for a dog that snaps. Some dogs just go crazy one day, some breeds are more prone than others.

cheers
    Maybe not, but they are responsible for it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You're right, my parents got a cocker spaniel puppy a few years ago. Something was wrong with it, it just wasn't wired quite right. It started out with weird stuff like if he saw you were going to sit on a chair, he'd run over to it, jump up and piss on it. After a few months he started to get violent. It bit my dad in the face for no reason while he was sleeping. They had to have it put down. It was sad, he was cute little guy even though he was demented. It wasn't his fault or my parents fault, there was something legitimately wrong with his brain, almost like he had doggie bipolar disorder.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I always carry pepper spray. I carry Mace PepperGard maximum formula. They actually make a formula that is specifically for dogs that is weaker because supposedly dogs are more sensitive to it. Screw that. I carry it for dogs and also coyotes, both the four legged AND two legged varieties. I have it velcro'd to the shoulder strap of my camelbak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Seriously? Clearly a chihuahua or a yorkie-poo that bites is annoying and isn't ok but that dog is never going to kill anyone. Pitbulls can be good dogs in the right hands. Unfortunately there is no way to know who's responsible and who's not. Those dogs can inflict horrendous injuries in seconds. It's horrible to think that people are maimed and killed by unprovoked pet dogs every year. It should never happen. You can't compare a chihuahua attack to a pit bull attack. It's like comparing a leopard to a siamese cat. They're almost different species.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think the comment is related more to dog vs owner. Any breed can be mishandled and become dangerous. Sure with a chihuahua the end result is less deadly, but its not really an exuse to not train your damn dog because its too small to do any harm, or to call for extermination of another breed because it has bigger teeth. Train your dogs dammit

Sent from my HTC-X710a using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pizon View Post
    I think the comment is related more to dog vs owner. Any breed can be mishandled and become dangerous. Sure with a chihuahua the end result is less deadly, but its not really an exuse to not train your damn dog because its too small to do any harm, or to call for extermination of another breed because it has bigger teeth. Train your dogs dammit

I agree it's not ok for any dog to be biting people but the implications of aggression in some breeds are very different. Most dog bites are just that, a single bite usually due to fear. People don't often get mauled by golden retrievers. When pit bulls get aggressive the results are usually terrible.

Imagine you're riding alone down a trail. You suddenly see a dog standing in the trail facing you.

It's a poodle. You think, oh crap I hope I don't have to kick this dog. What the heck is he doing out here in the woods? He's going to be coyote lunch.

It's a golden retriever. You think, hi buddy! What are you doing all alone out here? Are you lost? What a nice boy! pat pat pat…

It's a pit bull. You think, Whoa… Holy shit. Please don't kill me. Where's my f#[email protected]@%$$ pepper spray????!!

Not the same.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Precisely. Bad training by an owner is no reason to exterminate an entire breed. perhaps we should exterminate owners who can't train their dogs, regardless of whether the dog is a pit bull or a chihuahua.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Animals are unpredictable in general though. I had been bitten by a shitty 1ft height mutt before, and not touched by ultra agro pitbulls(they were used as guard dogs) that got loose from thier property. I wouldnt pat a strange retriever I found in the woods anymore than I would pat a pitbull

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I wouldnt pat a strange retriever I found in the woods anymore than I would pat a pitbull
    Except that labs/retrievers are responsilbe for more attack/injuries than any other breeds. I'll let you look up the stats. They are common, and many people see them as "family" dogs, and neglect to train them, socialize them, or ever let them leave the backyard. Then when they do interact with other people/dogs, they are ill equiped and "just snap without warning unpredictably".

Anyone who thinks animals are unpredictable should not be allowed to have one, as it is clear that they don't understand how to train, treat, or read animals. That is what makes them unpredictable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Labs and retrievers are responsible for a lot of bites just because there are so many of them. Most of those are just bites. Maulings are almost non existent by that breed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I dont think they are unpredictable if they are trained properly. I may have misworded it, but I dont think making assumptions on friendliness of dogs you find in the woods based on breed is a good way of handling a situation.
    In relation to pitbulls, I often see "thuggish" persons for lack of better descriptor owning them. I think that is due to their history as fighting dogs and to the fact that there are tons of rap (I love rap, and dont mean to bag on it) videos featuring snarling pitbulls. These people get pitbulls due to the image, and probably have no intention on properly training the dogs, hence the negative rep pitbulls get.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    Labs and retrievers are responsible for a lot of bites just because there are so many of them. Most of those are just bites. Maulings are almost non existent by that breed.
    Which is what I said. They are common. That doesn't negate that they attack, or the reasons for it.

Bites can scar for life mentally and physically. No such thing as "just a bite."

Why are the morans here not calling for the total extermination of these breeds that cause the majority of attack/injuries?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Halt is still sold at the local bike shops. I don't know if it would work on a Pitt Bull. Anyone have more experience with Halt?

since 4/10/2009
    I agree it's not ok for any dog to be biting people but the implications of aggression in some breeds are very different. Most dog bites are just that, a single bite usually due to fear. People don't often get mauled by golden retrievers. When pit bulls get aggressive the results are usually terrible.

Imagine you're riding alone down a trail. You suddenly see a dog standing in the trail facing you.

It's a poodle. You think, oh crap I hope I don't have to kick this dog. What the heck is he doing out here in the woods? He's going to be coyote lunch.

It's a golden retriever. You think, hi buddy! What are you doing all alone out here? Are you lost? What a nice boy! pat pat pat…

It's a pit bull. You think, Whoa… Holy shit. Please don't kill me. Where's my f#[email protected]@%$$ pepper spray????!!

Not the same.
    You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Any breed that's popular is notorious for bad behavior because idiots buy them, fail to train them, and then breed them again, creating a vicious cycle.

Goldens may not be as popular now as they once were, but they are still fairly popular. Just because they have a happy-go-lucky reputation doesn't mean that they're not responsible for biting a lot of people. That people THINK all goldens are happy-go-lucky is probably a big reason they bite so many. Just wait...before too long, we're going to start seeing a rise of bites from goldendoodles and maltipoos and puggles. A bite is a bite. They are all unacceptable. It really doesn't matter if a bite from a big dog results in immediate severe trauma and a bite from a little dog results in a scratch. They are both dog bites. The only distinction I make is my behavioral response to an aggressive big dog vs an aggressive little one.

This is the kind of idiot I'm talking about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aggr...&bih=778&dpr=1

Lots of youtube vids of morons who think their aggressive chihuahuas are cute.

Furthermore, if you assess the danger of a dog by its breed and not by its behavior, you are the idiot. If you're not good at reading dogs, it's best to err on the side of caution and keep your distance no matter what kind it is. But someone who OWNS a dog should be able to read dogs well enough to know when one is friendly or not. When it's afraid, when it is territorial, when it's aggressive, and so on. You should know how to approach an unfamiliar dog so it trusts you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-dog-bite-dog-chart.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I dont think they are unpredictable if they are trained properly. I may have misworded it, but I dont think making assumptions on friendliness of dogs you find in the woods based on breed is a good way of handling a situation.
    In relation to pitbulls, I often see "thuggish" persons for lack of better descriptor owning them. I think that is due to their history as fighting dogs and to the fact that there are tons of rap (I love rap, and dont mean to bag on it) videos featuring snarling pitbulls. These people get pitbulls due to the image, and probably have no intention on properly training the dogs, hence the negative rep pitbulls get.
    Exactly. Its the owners. Not the dogs. If you "totally exterminate the breed", as some have called for, these "thugish" types will simply find the next closest "bad ass" breed to sooth their fragile egos.

Extermination of the breed does not solve the problem, as I stated earlier.

It is not the breed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Any breed that's popular is notorious for bad behavior because idiots buy them, fail to train them, and then breed them again, creating a vicious cycle.

Goldens may not be as popular now as they once were, but they are still fairly popular. Just because they have a happy-go-lucky reputation doesn't mean that they're not responsible for biting a lot of people. That people THINK all goldens are happy-go-lucky is probably a big reason they bite so many. Just wait...before too long, we're going to start seeing a rise of bites from goldendoodles and maltipoos and puggles. A bite is a bite. They are all unacceptable. It really doesn't matter if a bite from a big dog results in immediate severe trauma and a bite from a little dog results in a scratch. They are both dog bites. The only distinction I make is my behavioral response to an aggressive big dog vs an aggressive little one.

This is the kind of idiot I'm talking about.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aggr...=778&dpr=1

Lots of youtube vids of morons who think their aggressive chihuahuas are cute.

Furthermore, if you assess the danger of a dog by its breed and not by its behavior, you are the idiot. If you're not good at reading dogs, it's best to err on the side of caution and keep your distance no matter what kind it is. But someone who OWNS a dog should be able to read dogs well enough to know when one is friendly or not. When it's afraid, when it is territorial, when it's aggressive, and so on. You should know how to approach an unfamiliar dog so it trusts you.
    Exactly. 100 % Awesome. We need to go for a beer.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by John Serkaian View Post
    Halt is still sold at the local bike shops. I don't know if it would work on a Pitt Bull. Anyone have more experience with Halt?
    There's really nothing that makes a pit bull any different from other dogs. It is still a dog. What you should be more concerned about is the dog's motivation. Most dogs just want to chase and nip and it doesn't take too much to make them stop. But most things won't force them to rethink chasing someone else later. Pepper spray is a more forceful way of making your point that encourages them to rethink chasing cyclists again.

A truly dangerous dog that wants to maul you may be different, whether that's a pit bull or a german shepherd or something else. Those dogs are not as common as the media would like you to believe. The available data points on using pepper spray on these kinds of dogs is going to be very small. Small enough that you're not going to be able to get much out of them. If you are concerned, you could try bear spray, but it is strong enough that it is typically covered under stronger restrictions for its purchase and use.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

So what's your point? We should all feel good when a pit bull kills someone because it was the owners fault? I'm sure all the victims will be reassured by that.

It doesn't make any difference why the dogs attack! They do attack and kill. 32 deaths from dog attacks in 2013 and over 80% of those were pit bulls and rottwielers. Those are the stats.

Obviously any dog could kill someone, they're predatory animals at their origin. There has to be a point where the damage is unacceptable. Over 20 people by a single breed in one year should mean enough is enough.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    So I talk about labs/retrievers in terms of more BITE and ATTACKs than any other breed (precisely because they are more common), and you post a 9 year FATALITY chart from a website (WITHOUT LINKING TO THE SOURCE of the chart, of course) from a "website about dangerous dogs -- primarily pit bull type dogs." That advocates a Pit bull ban: "Pit bull ban: A breed ban is the most proactive policy that can be undertaken regarding the pit bull problem. A ban saves the most human lives by preventing attacks before they occur. By criminalizing pit bull breeding, a ban saves countless pit bulls from systematic euthanization and dramatically reduces the number of pit bulls used for dogfighting."

About Us - DogsBite.org.

Wow. The fail and stupid are strong with you.

Now we know (1) you have no reasonable case and are not interested in honest discussion (2) are a troll who is at the very least disingenuous about the "data" you cherry pick.

You are irrelevant to this conversation.

since 4/10/2009
    So what's your point? We should all feel good when a pit bull kills someone because it was the owners fault? I'm sure all the victims will be reassured by that.

It doesn't make any difference why the dogs attack! They do attack and kill. 32 deaths from dog attacks in 2013 and over 80% of those were pit bulls and rottwielers. Those are the stats.

Obviously any dog could kill someone, they're predatory animals at their origin. There has to be a point where the damage is unacceptable. Over 20 people by a single breed in one year should mean enough is enough.
    Dangerous dogs should be removed from the population. I'm not saying they're lovely and all dogs should be kept alive and all that hippy shit. I'm saying judge the individual dog on its behavior, and not on its breed. You could replace "pit bull" with "black man" or "Mexican" in everything you say, and maybe you'd see how unacceptable it is, eh? Maybe not. Maybe to drive the point home, we should say it this way:

It doesn't make any difference why people attack! They do attack and kill. 32 deaths from people attacks in 2013 and over 80% of those were white people and black people. Those are the stats.
    So would you also say that an entire race of people should be exterminated because they are responsible for too many murders?

Your chart is fascinating, but you don't reference the source or include a title or anything that explains precisely what the chart is illustrating. I could make something like that, too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Males over 6ft tall and 200 pounds clearly can cause more damage to a person than smaller dudes of shrimpy stature. Exterminate all males over 6ft and 200 pounds!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dangerous dogs should be removed from the population. I'm not saying they're lovely and all dogs should be kept alive and all that hippy shit. I'm saying judge the individual dog on its behavior, and not on its breed. You could replace "pit bull" with "black man" or "Mexican" in everything you say, and maybe you'd see how unacceptable it is, eh? Maybe not. Maybe to drive the point home, we should say it this way:

So would you also say that an entire race of people should be exterminated because they are responsible for too many murders?

Your chart is fascinating, but you don't reference the source or include a title or anything that explains precisely what the chart is illustrating. I could make something like that, too.
    Killing it.

See my previous post re: source of his "data"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    males over 6ft tall and 200 pounds clearly can cause more damage to a person than smaller dudes of shrimpy stature. Exterminate all males over 6ft and 200 pounds!

Sent from my htc-x710a using tapatalk

HA! too funny.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    U.S. Dog Bite Statistics - DogsBite.org

You call me stupid. You make ridiculous analogies. The statistics speak for themselves. Two breeds are responsible for more fatal dog attacks than all other breeds, including mixed breeds combined. 176 people have been killed by just one breed alone. I understand you like these dogs and I have met several of them and they seemed like nice dogs. It doesn't change the facts.

From the Center for Disease Control.

http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

since 4/10/2009
    An unbiased source, indeed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's biased because the organization was formed because of all the people being mauled. The organization only exists because of those statistics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It's biased because the organization was formed because of all the people being mauled. The organization only exists because of those statistics.
    No. You fail and lie again.

About Us - DogsBite.org

"About the founder

Colleen Lynn resides in Austin, Texas and operates Lynn Media Group. On June 17th, 2007, she was attacked for approximately 5-seconds by a leashed pit bull while jogging in her former Seattle neighborhood. She was hospitalized for two days at Harborview Medical Center after undergoing surgery to repair a severe bone fracture. Four months later, she launched DogsBite.org. Learn more about Colleen in her four year anniversary blog post about her attack."

You keep proving to the rest of us how irrelevant you are to this discussion. You can stop making yourself look like a lying ******* troll fool anytime you chose. I, for one, am going to stop validating your uninformed and disingenuous existence. I suggest others do the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The woman was attacked by a pit bull for 5 seconds and ended up in the hospital for 2 days and having surgery and that's what you're using for your argument that these dogs are perfectly safe? hahahhahaaaaa!!!! That's funny right there.

You guys defending these dogs as safe are just as radical as those who want them exterminated. I never said that. To pretend though, that pit bulls are not responsible for attacks is naive at best.

since 4/10/2009
    Let's try this one, as a relatively unbiased source with over 50 citations for the raw data.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Ba...revention.aspx

mtbr member
    Don't hate- I got no dog in this fight and have known some really sweet Pits. I don't think it's fair to compare different human races to dog breeds that have been intensively selected and bred based on specific characteristics for thousands of years- natural vs, unnatural selection.

I was thumbing through this and it's interesting to see how the situation has progressed through the years and how rampant it seems to have become (relatively). Maybe this is somehow inaccurate but it sure doesn't bode well for the poor pits reputation. Pretty grisly- Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by J.B. Weld; 02-13-2014 at 05:27 PM.

since 4/10/2009
    The woman was attacked by a pit bull for 5 seconds and ended up in the hospital for 2 days and having surgery and that's what you're using for your argument that these dogs are perfectly safe? hahahhahaaaaa!!!! That's funny right there.

You guys defending these dogs as safe are just as radical as those who want them exterminated. I never said that. To pretend though, that pit bulls are not responsible for attacks is naive at best.
    Your misunderstanding of our position reflects the depth of your stupidity.

Judge the individual dogs, remove the dangerous ones from the population. Punish the owners of dangerous dogs severely. Doing this will change several things. It will remove tendencies towards aggression from a breed's stock. Responsible breeders already do this. Puppy mills and backyard breeders do not. It will reduce incidences of aggressive behavior in a breed due to genetic predispositions. It will never eliminate aggressive behavior because there will always be bad owners. But punishing bad owners who allow dogs to bite and hurt people will make it a serious issue and reduce problems, also.

Banning or exterminating a whole breed will only serve to push bad owners to another breed, and then that breed will get blamed for more attacks, and subsequently banned, and so on and so forth, without ever addressing the fact that PEOPLE are the root of this problem in the first place.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Don't hate- I got no dog in this fight and have known some really sweet Pits. I don't think it's fair to compare different human races to dog breeds that have been intensively selected and bred based on specific characteristics for thousands of years- natural vs, unnatural selection.

I was thumbing through this and it's interesting to see how the situation has progressed through the years and how rampant it seems to have become (relatively). Maybe this is somehow inaccurate but it sure doesn't bode well for the poor pits reputation. Pretty grizzly- Fatal dog attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wikipedia is a bad source, too. Too easy for someone with a grudge to manipulate it. Sure, pit bulls are very strong dogs that cause a lot of damage when they attack. That's obvious and repeatedly pointing that out gets us nowhere. The references section in that page is very heavily biased towards newspaper and TV news sources. Of course, the more grisly an attack, the more newsworthy. Read the article I posted. Nothing but scholarly articles, and the conclusions drawn differ substantially from what the idiots are putting in here, in that dogsbite.org website, and on wikipedia. Namely, that breed popularity strongly influences bite statistics. Looking into specific places where different breeds are more popular shows that those dogs are most commonly involved in attacks and fatalities.

Pit bulls are hugely under-represented in breed registrations, too, meaning they're probably many times more popular than breed registrations suggest. Look at how many are in shelters. Many shelters have nothing but pit bulls in them. Any references showing the absolute number of bites or attacks attributed to a specific is making no effort to control for breed popularity, or any other contributing factor. And really, when it comes down to it, simple counts of anything are NOT statistics. Reporting those numbers under the guise of a "percentage" is really no different.

mtbr member
    Wikipedia is a bad source, too.

Probably, but there doesn't seem to be any dispute about the number of fatalities per year, and they do at least provide sources. Personally I assess the situation dog by dog and am a lot more concerned about the big mean looking ones than I am the little mean looking ones. Cocker spaniels have been the worst IME, but I'm not too worried about one of them taking me down.

bumbles bounce
    Just don't come around our house because you might get licked on the nose or slobbered in the ears by our "killer" rescue pit bull Denver!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-image.jpg  

AZ
    banned
    The Ninjas are here.

The Ninjas are here.
    You don't know that, how could you know that? They're Ninjas! Your first clue that they're here is your quick/painful demise. As far as the rest of the comments go: Yes, I favor wiping out the Breed known as "POS Dog Owner", no I don't agree that a bigger man is more dangerous than a smaller one and neither do my good buddies Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris, Mace anything that ever attacks you or a member of your family, Mace any owner of anything that attacks you, when it comes to your children and danger take whatever steps are necessary and worry about the "Law" later (Seriously).

Now, I'm not a Pitbull expert but my son (3 at the time) was bitten on the face by our Weimeiener who never acted agressively until that day. We never beat that dog and I'd bet that she'd never been abused or neglected. Sometimes stuff happens. When it does you stop it and figure out how to keep it from happening again. In our case, the Weim went to a friends home (only adults and adult children) where it lived another 12 years without incident as was cherished as a perfectly mannered member of the family.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazerd Hownd View Post
    Just don't come around our house because you might get licked on the nose or slobbered in the ears by our "killer" rescue pit bull Denver!
    OH MY GOD!!!!!

THAT POOR CHILD!!!!!!

Good on ya. Rescues rule.

My vicious 100# ShepardXHusky rescue. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

banned
    Jan 2014
    This turned out lovely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I usually stop and confront the dog. Most of the time they are chasing the bike not you. If not I use the bike as a shield and weapon if they do not back down. Usually only takes 20 feet of walking and the dog turns around.
    this is exactly what I do. if chasing right behind I abruptly stop and sometimes they run into my rear tire and run away. if not, I get off and charge them using my bike as a shield and weapon. so far none have continued after charging them, ready do whatever it takes to defend myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    he gets the reward for having the best response. as a human I don't have to tolerate some wild animal trying to kill or maim me . f that. I'm doing whatever it takes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    this is exactly what I do. if chasing right behind I abruptly stop and sometimes they run into my rear tire and run away. if not, I get off and charge them using my bike as a shield and weapon. so far none have continued after charging them, ready do whatever it takes to defend myself.
    Yes. The technique dang and Flucod describe also works on a herd of pissed off elk, bears, and deer...but not on moose.

Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    Yes. The technique dang and Flucod describe also works on a herd of pissed off elk, bears, and deer...but not on moose.
    +1 for a .338 Win for the Moose.

Rogue Exterminator
    If you exterminate the breed the thug dog owners will go on to the next "aggressive" breed. Years ago It was Rottweilers and Dobermans or even German Shepherds. If not them, what's next. Sure any dog can be aggressive no matter how big or small but how many people are killed or seriously injured in Pomeranian attacks every year?

That being said, I am for states requiring a license to own these breeds that have the potential to be dangerous. The requirements would be similar to that of a hand gun license. If you have a felony conviction, no Pit for you. Also if you act irresponsible the license can be revoked. I am also for more accountability to the owners in the case of an attack no matter what the breed. You want a pit, fine. Your pit kills somebody then you go to jail for at least manslaughter. None of this "he never did it before BS. If they can prove you have knowledge of your dog being aggressive then you are charged with murder. This would be the same if your Pomeranian kills somebody too. No matter what the breed, it is your responsibility to maintain control of your animals at all times.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4Prez View Post
    This turned out lovely.
    dog threads always do. I lived in rural Appalachia for most of my life. Back when, the mutts out in the country were generally trained to be vicious. I have never met a dog that wouldn't respond to a strong command from a rider. I'm sure they exist, it's just that I've never met one. There is a dog near here that has a reputation for chasing cyclists and looks and acts really scary. I was always pretty afraid of this dog, because he would get a full head of steam up and he lives on a 20% grade hill, so the only way to escape is to turn around and ride back the way you came -- not what you want to do. One day, I didn't see him until he comes charging down the hill at me. I yelled, "NO" in my command voice and he sat down. This has happened to me many times. So I'm generally not in the camp that thinks permanently injuring a dog is something I'm prepared to do short of actual contact. OTOH, I have punched and kicked dogs that got too close before I realized they were there.

As far as permanently injuring dogs, I don't think it's a good idea. We were out riding and apparently a dog saw us after we passed by and started chasing. I never saw the dog at all, but I heard it get run over by a car. Apparently it died fairly quickly. 10 minutes later, the owner chased us down -- livid, apparently at us. If we had actually done something to the dog, I think it would have gotten ugly. Not good for our ride, us, the (former) dog owner, or society in general.

mtbr member
    Deleted.
    Last edited by kubikeman; 02-15-2014 at 03:23 AM.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Deleted.
    Last edited by kubikeman; 02-15-2014 at 03:20 AM.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Below are two images of 50 dogs. Only 2 are pitty's. Can you spot them?
    2 Pittys. That's impossible.

The photographers never would have survived taking the picture.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    without reading this thread let me try to guess what the gist of it is.

- pits are baby killing landsharks
    - pits are the most loyalest affectionate softies

- it's the owner
    - it's the breed

- kill them with knife
    - hand strangle them
    - poke eyes
    - LOL, you cannot kill a giant uberstrong schwarzeneggar pittie!!

- chihuahua's bite too
    - but it's cute

- you're an idiot
    - no, i'm brilliant

- that source is biased
    - it's from wiki....and a 30 second google search

- OMG THIS IS WHY I CARRY A GRENADE
    - dummy, you have better chance of being struck by lightning

- useless chart
    - useless stats

- U!!!!!!!
    - NO, U!

am i close?
    Click Here for Forum Rules

banned
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post

- it's the owner
    - it's the breed

- kill them with knife
    - hand strangle them
    - poke eyes

- chihuahua's bite too
    - but it's cute

- you're an idiot
    - no, i'm brilliant

- that source is biased

- useless chart
    - useless stats

- U!!!!!!!
    - NO, U!

am i close?
    You left out sticking fingers in the dogs butt. Other than take. Your fairly accurate. It's about time for a dog as riding buddy thread. It's been Atleast a month.

Rogue Exterminator
    Okay Mr. Statistician. According to this chart there were 176 fatalities over a nine year period. That's on average 19 - 20 deaths per year.

Each year, 36,000 people die from the flu.

Spend $20 on the flu shot instead of mace. Your coworkers will thank you.

Name:  redherring-2.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  12.8 KB

AZ
    banned

- it's the owner
    - it's the breed

- kill them with knife
    - hand strangle them
    - poke eyes

- chihuahua's bite too
    - but it's cute

- you're an idiot
    - no, i'm brilliant

- that source is biased

- useless chart
    - useless stats

- U!!!!!!!
    - NO, U!

am i close?

Add Ninja's and you nailed it.

Rogue Exterminator

- it's the owner
    - it's the breed

- kill them with knife
    - hand strangle them
    - poke eyes

- chihuahua's bite too
    - but it's cute

- you're an idiot
    - no, i'm brilliant

- that source is biased

- useless chart
    - useless stats

- U!!!!!!!
    - NO, U!

am i close?
    For the most part, yes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Chum, your summary suggests it's pointless for us to share our useless thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

- it's the owner
    - it's the breed

- kill them with knife
    - hand strangle them
    - poke eyes

- chihuahua's bite too
    - but it's cute

- you're an idiot
    - no, i'm brilliant

- that source is biased

- useless chart
    - useless stats

- U!!!!!!!
    - NO, U!

am i close?
    Maybe they should just shut down MTBR, every other forum in existence, and the internet, because there's no use in talking about anything, as everything is a predictable foregone conclusion...

At least then the world wouldn't need your super-moderation and you could get on with your life.

Big Mac

You know it's funny, if I walked up to someone on the street and asked them if they could help me solve a second-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation describing the motion of a pendulum of length L, they would look at me like I'm crazy and shake their head no.

Bring up dog breeds and behavior and suddenly everyone's an expert. Let's see how many people can actually identify the breed that's causing all this hubbub. Please, if you've seen this test, don't spoil it. Below are two images of 50 dogs. Only 2 are pitty's. Can you spot them?

Attachment 869640

Attachment 869641
    Clearly, they're all crazy pit bull dogs. Just look at 'em.

mtbr member
    A few years ago a very good friend of mine adopted a pit bull from the local shelter. One of the things I noticed was that selection is extremely limited. Pits, Rotts, and Dobermans to a lesser degree. Dogs that I guess give people bad ass and gangster status.

As we browsed the cages looking for her new dog the vast majority of the dogs looked confused, scared, and lonely. And then there were those other ones that you just knew something was wrong, they gave off a bad vibe. They weren't aggressive but not friendly, just indifferent would be the best word. It really bummed me out that the people that put so much stock in these breeds for sport/protection/whatever were also the same asses that were so quick to drop them off in the street. I had a conversation with the woman in charge, she said it was rare that anyone actually brought a dog to the shelter, most of them were picked up running loose.

Anyway, my friend ended up adopting a pit bull, a scrawny, timid thing around 4 years old or so. She was taken from an owner that pretty much staked her out in the yard and forgot about her. I guess she was too small to make money at the fights. Everytime you would raise your hand to pet her she would flinch.

2 years later she's now a very happy and fat pit bull. One of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. I can't imagine her ever attacking anything or anyone. Hell, she adopted a kitten.

Pits get a bad rap, and I've seen why first hand. Back in the '90s my grandparents had a collie mix named Sheba. She was an absolutely gorgeous dog. Smart, friendly, fun, good with kids, everything you would want in a pet. One summer some people moved in 2 houses down that I guess were avid pit bull enthusiast wanna bes. They would take their dogs out in the back yard and teach them to attack things on command. One of the idiots would even put on a padded suit and helmet, kind of like you see police dogs on TV. Why exactly who the hell knows. Nothing against beer cans and tats and 81 Chevettes with Cragars but definitely Jerry Springer white trash.

Anyway, during one of their 'training' sessions their pit named King easily hurdled the 2 fences in between him and Sheba. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen in my life. King removed Sheba's face. It was like something out of a horror movie. My uncle got King permanently calmed down with a baseball bat, while his owner yelled and threatened and promised legal action. Some people are just too stupid and ignorant to live.

My uncle ended up putting poor Sheba out of her misery with his .22 pistol. He and I then picked up Kings body and carried him back down the alley and dumped him over the fence of his owners yard. No one said anything at that point. We then buried Sheba. It was a sad day.

What's the point of this drawn out story? Hell I don't know. I've seen pits raised wrong by a-holes that turned out to be sweethearts when adopted by someone decent, and I've seen pits that were raised by a-holes to be mean and fight go off the deep end. When a dog like a pit bull decides he's going to kill something you ain't gonna stop it unless you kill it. It's a damn shame.

I know this isn't really on topic or really served any purpose to the thread but I had a good time doing shots of Jim Beam and writing it so thanks! Have a great weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for calling it in. The dog is a general menace. I don't think such an obviously aggressive dog would be deterred by water in the face or even mace. I would avoid that yard until the dog is dealt with.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Observations from a lurker:
    CHUM is an ace at prediction.
    All threads containing guns, dogs, guns, and wheel size WILL turn into pissing matches.
    Despite opinions, or being PC - profiling does work, and insurance co's rely on it to be profitable.

While we may all disagree, I turn to the actuaries who filter data by breed to determine their risk exposure.
    The avg. cost of a dog bite claim now is $30,000, and the following breeds are most likely excluded from your homeowner's policy. (Based on CDC stats, please check your policy before calling bullshiite.)
    Like it or not, their denying coverage directly impacts breed choice, and I've learned the hard way not to own one listed.

Top 7 Dangerous Dog Breeds | PropertyCasualty360

"If ever in doubt, cram two fingers up it's ass."
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 02-15-2014 at 12:29 PM. Reason: grammah

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A friend of mine is an expert dog kicker and knocked one out with a swift kick to the head once. He may have killed it, they didn't hang around to see. One of my proudest achievements as a cyclist was the time I kicked two dogs with direct hits to the head in a quarter mile or so, one with left foot, the next with the right. Both dogs turned around after they encountered my sz 48 carbon soled feet...

mtbr member
    If you don't like the dog, blame the people end of the leash.

If sixteen year olds could all own Porsches, they would be the biggest killing machines in America. You don't need much money, a license, or common sense to get a Pittbull. I know some people that have adopted stray Pitts and they are the sweetest dogs. The problem is wannabe bad asses that either ignore or tech the dog to be tough.

I had two Rottweilers, another breed people fear. Mine were the biggest clowns around. Their personally is more like a Labrador. They love to follow owners, play fetch and swim. Since my Rotties. We're more likely to bite a lawyer than a burglar, I spent time socializing them. Lots of time, they went to work at the office, I spent about 18 hours a day with them. No need for them to protect the house, they bark, I can call the police or grab a shotgun if needed.

Dogs on chains as watch dogs is just a bad combo if they Get loose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Speaking of "real", how many dogs have you dispatched?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    CHUM is an ace at prediction.
    He did forget to include the part where some douchebag super-moderator chimes in to recount his douchy version of the thread in which he lambastes the very posters on the forum he chooses to moderate.

He is welcome to leave if he is so over it.

mtbr member
    What to do if attacked. We were cornered by a large lab. A 100lb dog snarling, no matter what breed is dangerous.

My friend grabbed his mtn bike midway down the downtube. He grabbed the handlebar stem. The bike naturally balanced horizontally. Now he had a wide shield with tires on both ends and a chain ring in the middle. He fended off the dog attack. The dog was startled by the swinging bike and tires swinging by its head. No need to poke it with the chain ring, but he could have.

mtbr member
    Take a tip from the Postal service.
    Bring dog treats.
    Bring spray if the treats don't work, but only as a last resort.

My carrier loved my Rotties.

Some breeds will chase bikes due to,their herding instinct. You have the choice of sprinting or stopping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KevXR View Post
    Take a tip from the Postal service.
    Bring dog treats.
    Bring spray if the treats don't work, but only as a last resort.

My carrier loved my Rotties.

Some breeds will chase bikes due to,their herding instinct. You have the choice of sprinting or stopping.
    Instinct has A LOT to do with it. Just about any dog can be trained to do this or that, be more pleasant socially or be an attack dog. But no matter what, it always take diligence and a watchful eye. Just because a dog "would never" because they are the "sweetest thing" doesn't mean that instinct can't suddenly kick in when you least expect it. Various breeds were bread for certain things and you can't just pull out all that genetics just because you think they look pretty and you give them a nice loving home.
    When I was a kid, my best friend's family had a retriever. That thing was awesome and we loved it. I always felt perfectly safe. They had him for years and he never showed anything but the most pleasant and loving disposition. Then one day while we were playing with him in the front yard a little toddler was out walking with his parents and at that second, for some reason, the dogs retrieval instinct kicked in and he went for the little kid. The end of the bad scene was that the dog was put down. It happens.
    I have a little Shug (Pug-Shitz mix) that is a harmless fraidy cat. She has been perfect around our little kids and we love her to death, but that doesn't stop me from watching her closely. And keeping her on a leash when out for a walk and keeping her next to me at all times is just part of the gig. I know that she's a dog.
    I have been chased down on my bike by a Boxer breed and gave it a swift kick to the head. You do what it takes.

mtbr member
    I just skimmed the thread (because its essentially identical to every other pit bull thread on the internet) after seeing MTBR link it on Facebook, so forgive me if this has been mentioned.....but.....

The thing is for us (cyclists) is that dogs are inherently unpredictable. The only cycling related dog bite I've had in hundreds of interactions was an overweight couch potato collie mix who's owner swore he'd never so much as growled at a human before. The bike is big (I'm 6'3", on my bike that's like 10 plus feet tall, a dog is like knee high to a human for most breeds) with a ton of rapidly moving parts and traveling at a high rate of speed. Dogs don't know WTF is going on and they react in defense.

The pit bull conversation has its place, but in terms of cycling its best to realize that dogs don't understand what they see when they encounter a bike. Give them room, and give them more room when the owner has a slack leash going on. No excuses for OP and a loose dog with a back yard near trails. Report that bastard IMO.

I like pizza
    Don't mace!!!!! This is a hard thing when it happens but you don't want to mace a doggie or anything else. When I see a dog loose if I'm solo, I re-route, not worth getting chomped on. If in a group, make noise to scare the dog off, pedal your caboose off, if the dog approaches you, sometimes a squirt from the water bottle is enough to make it retreat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclekitty View Post
    Don't mace!!!!! This is a hard thing when it happens but you don't want to mace a doggie or anything else.

Why?!?! Fawk that. If a dog (or anything else) is on the attack, I am going to protect myself with whatever is necessary. Foot, mace, CCW, I don't care. if its me or Fido, well, thats too fawking bad for Fido.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    When I was a teenager there was a nasty pitt bull that used to terrorize us on a regular basis. One day I took along the crossbar from my parents roof rack (removed from the car at the time). When the dog ran at me I gave it a nice large swing and whacked the ****er in the head HARD. Full momentum from my cycling and the circular swing action. That dog survived but never attacked another cyclist. I love dogs but some really need to be taught a lesson.

Rogue Exterminator
    Deleted.
    Coming back and deleting posts is pointless especially when those posts have already been quoted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Last time a dog (3rd time with the same dog) chased me I slowed rapidly, faster than the dog could (disc brakes) and rolled right over both from paws. Never saw that dog again.
    agmtb

I'd rather be on my bike
    Thanks for the negative rep. Insert double eye roll.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Finish your ride like you did and enjoy the day. Then go back and beat it to death with a baseball bat. I work in an ER and can't even count how many pitbull bites come in, don't care what anyone says, I see physical evidence. I have also been riding since childhood and have been attacked multiple times by numerous types of dogs. I have no tolerance for this, and no real love for other peoples dogs. I don't know what the laws for carrying a pistol are in abx, I always wanted to bolt a small holster to my seatpost. Around here I have "Brian," one of my riding buddies who dogs seem to flock to instead of me.

mtbr member
    yea Shane a gun works but a samurai sword screams Ninja, doubt the dog would even mess with you.
    Round and round we go

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    And the award for the most over-the-top macho response goes to... Burt4x4! Thanks for the dose of "reality".
    I don't think this is over the top at ALL. Control your god damn dogs or they are going to get an equal reaction from people such as myself. Your dog harms my child, consider your dog dead. That's how I roll... not a tough guy attitude at all - but bicycles and the people riding them ARE NOT PREY for your dog! If you do not control them I will.

This is an especially touchy subject right now because my local club has been working on a new trail system and have over 300 hours in, and now we are facing opposition from the other park users - dog owners - that we are somehow taking over their park and bla bla bla... even though the only area in the entire recreation area that is for dog use is a fenced in area. Well they all think they can walk their dogs off leash and do whatever they want anywhere in the park - and now of course we had a rider get bitten. The person then made the comment "too bad they let bikes in here"... like its the bikers fault!!!
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    "Dad why did that idiot Mace me. All I did was sniff and lick him".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OK to mace a dog? Looking for good deterrent advice...-image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Because little one there are idiots in the world. Out there, in here, seem to find some every where.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Sorry, but I agree with him. If a dog attacks me, it dies. I'm an animal lover but I will not hesitate to put down a violent animal. They are not people. We can't lock them up. They are "animals" yea we create bonds with them but they're still animals. I've had to put down my own. It's just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Because little one there are idiots in the world. Out there, in here, seem to find some every where.
    "I know but I was wagging my tail a sure sign of play and friendliness"
    "Why are some humans so soon to respond in such a harsh manner"
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

"I know but I was wagging my tail a sure sign of play and friendliness"
    "Why are some humans so soon to respond in such a harsh manner"
    Guy... cute dog. But we are talking if a dog runs up and bites you. Most parents also have that animal instinct to protect their offspring... hence the your dog will be dead if it bites my child comments. Most of us know the difference between a happy friendly dog and one that wants to attack and harm you.
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

Rogue Exterminator
    The idiot would be the guy that failed to control his/her dog.

If you have a dog that strikes fear in to people and you fail to control that dog you can't
    be upset if somebody pepper sprays the dog no matter how nice the dog may be. You can't expect people to lose their fears as long as their are still stories of attacks and bad owners.

I am sure your dog is friendly but you can't expect people to know the signs. Not everyone is dog lovers.

I personally have no issues with the breed and have friends that have the sweetest pits. However they control them and their dogs don't go up to random strangers.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012

I have to say that looks like a public bike path? What is missing in the picture, a leash. See that is the problem, I do not recall a single story where people are complaining about getting bit by any dogs when they were riding trough a dog park, or riding through a dog owners back yard, why is that? Because bicyclest would not be so rude to do such a thing. But it seems like SOME dog owners feel they are intitled to take thier PET any where they damn well please. That is the problem, strangers do not know if your dogs are mean or not and some people are just afraid of them. So do yourselfs and the public a huge favor and just be responsible for your and your pets actions.

Rogue Exterminator
    If it is a national forest they don't require the dogs to be on leashes (at least in my area).
    However they do require your dog to be in control at all times. This means the dog should not be out of eye and ear shot and obedient to commands. It also means they should not be running up to random strangers where they could scare them to the point where they feel threatened or getting in front of bikes where they cause a crash. I love dogs but it pisses me off when they jump in front of my bike. I want hit the owner instead.

State forests here in NC do require leashes. Not that it is usually obeyed.

Maybe the answer is pepper spray owners who don't obey the laws with their pets.

mtbr member

I live with this fear and it's justifiable for me. My cousin's mother was attacked by a pitbull she was disemboweled and her throat severed from her neck by a pitbull while running on the trail.

The dog had gotten free and was roaming in the Forest preserve. Another woman stopped to help her and was attacked viciously by the dog also. Luckily she lived but I don't know the extent of her injuries.

I considered riding with a knife strapped to my calf and wouldn't have a problem killing an animal.

So for me it's kill or be killed !
    MJ
    14 Farley,Bluto,i9-27.5FatBNimbles
    16 Farley5,CarbonFork,27.5x4.5Barbegazi
    16 Farley9.6,Bluto,Onyx-26JumboJims

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    As much as it's the owner that shapes a dog into who the dog is, I don't care who disagrees, I'm kicking/stabbing/spraying/etc whatever it takes to protect myself if a dog attacks me. I would feel bad afterwards, but I'm not going to sustain injury at the fault of someone else if I can help it.

I'm 6'6" 240lbs so hopefully a dog wouldn't attack to begin with, but if it did...

mtbr member
    Holy crap dude, that's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    I live with this fear and it's justifiable for me. My cousin's mother was attacked by a pitbull she was disemboweled and her throat severed from her neck by a pitbull while running on the trail.

The dog had gotten free and was roaming in the Forest preserve. Another woman stopped to help her and was attacked viciously by the dog also. Luckily she lived but I don't know the extent of her injuries.

I considered riding with a knife strapped to my calf and wouldn't have a problem killing an animal.

So for me it's kill or be killed !

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane5001 View Post
    Finish your ride like you did and enjoy the day. Then go back and beat it to death with a baseball bat. I work in an ER and can't even count how many pitbull bites come in, don't care what anyone says, I see physical evidence. I have also been riding since childhood and have been attacked multiple times by numerous types of dogs. I have no tolerance for this, and no real love for other peoples dogs. I don't know what the laws for carrying a pistol are in abx, I always wanted to bolt a small holster to my seatpost. Around here I have "Brian," one of my riding buddies who dogs seem to flock to instead of me.
    Exactly right. I'm an Emergency Physician. Most dog bites I see are minor care kind of stuff. Clean the wound, antibiotics, and home. Pitbull attacks are usually significant traumas involving orthopedic consultation and admission.

I have never seen a lab, a German Shepherd, or a yorkie seriously injure anybody. It's always one bite and done.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    (As a dog owner) I live in the country closest neighbor 1/2 mile away.
    Let me first say I am a dog owner (4 dogs, 1 of which is a lab that does not like strangers) And I love my dogs a lot. I did have one of my dogs(couple years ago) that got out of the fenced in area, and bit a runner on our road. I put the dog down that evening, I have zero tolerance for that. The runner did not do anything to provoke my dog. Our area has laws concerning detaining your animals, and having them in control. I am totally responsible for my animals actions. A loose dog is a liability and a possible danger.

(As a Cyclist)
    If a dog comes from a persons property on to public prperty and attacks me. Biting and pulling off my bike. I am fully with in my right to defend myself to the point needed to get out of harms way. I am not saying a barking dog or chasing dog. I am talking about an animal that has drawn blood or has a hold of me. I will have no problem shooting the dog with my .38 or .45 As a ""final"" measure. If a dog attacks my 13 year old girl. The dog will be dead, and authorities will be called. And my lawyer will be called soon after.

As for barking&chasing dogs, water, water and vinegar, little air horn.

Sorry but I have been on both ends of this issue. People who own dogs do not realize they are a liability. You are responsible for your dogs actions, when they step off your property.

Matt L.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I was attacked on the trail today by this monster man eater...so i shoved two fingers up his butt and he proceeded to follow me home and now he won't leave me alone.

Seriously though something to think about with all the "pitbulls are evil and have the rate of attacks that cause severe damage/death". Pound for pound pitbulls and pitbulls breeds are some of the strongest dogs around so yes if they decided to bite the are going to leave a bigger mark then your 5 lbs chihuahua. At one point there was a pitbull (staffordshire terrier but everyone "thinks" they are pits and the same thing) that weighed something of like 40lbs that held a record weight pull for not only its weight class but dogs that also weighed 2-3 times more. Just as a example.
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    I have to say that looks like a public bike path? What is missing in the picture, a leash. See that is the problem, I do not recall a single story where people are complaining about getting bit by any dogs when they were riding trough a dog park, or riding through a dog owners back yard, why is that? Because bicyclest would not be so rude to do such a thing. But it seems like SOME dog owners feel they are intitled to take thier PET any where they damn well please. That is the problem, strangers do not know if your dogs are mean or not and some people are just afraid of them. So do yourselfs and the public a huge favor and just be responsible for your and your pets actions.
    That's actually a mountain bike single track trail with a bridge crossing over a creek. And as far as a leash, does it look like he's out of control. And it doesn't matter to me anyway I didn't post those photos he did. And as far as a leash law on that trail there is one. But he can't get me to wear it.

banned
    Jun 2007

Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    I was attacked on the trail today by this monster man eater...so i shoved two fingers up his butt and he proceeded to follow me home and now he won't leave me alone.
    Next time don't use lube. :-D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyin_w View Post
    next time don't use lube. :-d
    lol.

mtbr member
    I have a large Am Staffordshire Terrier and let me tell you that he is such a gentle heart. So I don't get it when we talk about dangerous breeds as he is supposed to be. He is following a training though, forced by regulation if I want to walk with him loose, since 2 months, so he didn't learn much yet anyway. I admit his balls were cut out, so this might help. But no one should be judged based on appearance alone anyway, just like humans.

He has just a bad habit to run towards and say "Hey hi, who are you?". That's what I call "being social" So it looks quite impressive but he never does anything, apart turning around. He always shakes tail or is simply scared if another dog or person is offensive. So again, I don't get it.

I do agree that people have to be carefull and defend themselves if they are attacked by some wako animal (humans included). Let me tell you that if I'm sure my dog didn't do anything and someone does severe harm to him as a first scared reflex, I'll do far worse to that person, I swear!

Of course if a dog is aggressive, most of the time it's human's fault! Humans have this bad habit to put the fault on something else. We are so intelligent. You know, it's just like kids who become punks, it's never the parent's fault... Or pollution, or violence for centuries (someone talked about video games?)... it's always something else's fault. Pff!

mtbr member
    The part that I don't understand is why anyone chooses a pit as pet in the first place. I hear they can be sweet, gentle, etc. But, how and why did you find out? What's the point? There are sooooo many awesome breeds (the other 50% of the attacks/injuries/deaths) that need rescuing. Why deal with the social stigma (thug, white trash, idiot, etc.) and risk of lawsuits ('cause you know the judge/jury is going to treat your sweet pit very differently than that mean old Labradoodle if there ever is an incident). I just don't get it. Is it to prove a point? Is it because you wanted a puma or wolf and your county won't allow it? I just don't think there's a place in "this" society for that animal.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    So... it seems like mace and or halt are good nonlethal ways to deter an attacking dog while biking. I'm not much of a dog person (and my daughter most certainly is not), but I know I won't carry a gun or want to permanently harm or kill a dog.

Can anyone post a picture how they attach a canister of spray deterrent to their backpack, or alternative places of attaching the spray can?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Given the proven history of the Pitbull on how dangerous
    and unpredictable they are, even well trained bitbulls
    are prone to just snap its the nature of the beast,
    they should be outlawed and rounded up and killed.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextall View Post
    So... it seems like mace and or halt are good nonlethal ways to deter an attacking dog while biking. I'm not much of a dog person (and my daughter most certainly is not), but I know I won't carry a gun or want to permanently harm or kill a dog.

Can anyone post a picture how they attach a canister of spray deterrent to their backpack, or alternative places of attaching the spray can?
    For bear season I use a camelback that is intended for backcountry skiing, it has a pocket that opens up from the bottom (instead of the top like most pockets) where you stick your avalanche probe, but it also works great for a canister of bear-spray, so at any time I'm moments away from unzipping this and it almost just "falls out".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast