Oh $H!T Grizzly bear charges mtn biker- Mtbr.com
    I ride bikes

Oh $H!T Grizzly bear charges mtn biker

Oh Shit! Grizzly Bear Charges Mountain Bikers - Pinkbike

Little known fact, grizzly bears hate 29ers.

mtbr member
    Wow.
    All good things in all good time

Redcoat
    do we know thats real? why they would hang around there eludes me.

mtbr member

can't be too careful...

nothing worse than hungry critters...skeeters or grizzlys
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    nothing worse than hungry wildlife...skeeters or grizzlys
    awesome

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Oh Shit! Grizzly Bear Charges Mountain Bikers - Pinkbike

Little known fact, grizzly bears hate 29ers.
    you are definately right...gotta stay vigilant
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

I ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brockwan View Post
    do we know thats real? why they would hang around there eludes me.
    Generally bears dont try to eat humans. They do however want to keep you away from their cubs, and will literally rip your face off to make sure that you dont touch them. When the bear saw he ran, I am sure it knew that he was not a threat.

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Generally bears dont try to eat humans. They do however want to keep you away from their cubs, and will literally rip your face off to make sure that you dont touch them. When the bear saw he ran, I am sure it knew that he was not a threat.
    Sorry I meant why did the bikers hang around? Surely the good idea was to gtfo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    If you watch the video carefully, after the first rider crashes he looks back up hill and you can see the bear, on the trail, charge off to the right where the second rider was stopped. The first rider takes his time getting back up the hill because the bear charged the second rider at least twice.

Speculating here but the second rider probably saw the bear charging his buddy, pulled off the trail, reached for the bear spray, only to see the bear charge him. Bears have explosive speed. I don't think he could get back on the bike, get it turned around and bail on his friend without getting overrun.

I would guess they are familiar with bear tactics so they knew what to do. I would have crapped my pants. Deer, rattle snakes, bobcats, and coyotes, no problem. A 350 lb grizzly, hello Mr. Messy Pants.
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

Redcoat
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    If you watch the video carefully, after the first rider crashes he looks back up hill and you can see the bear, on the trail, charge off to the right where the second rider was stopped. The first rider takes his time getting back up the hill because the bear charged the second rider at least twice.

Speculating here but the second rider probably saw the bear charging his buddy, pulled off the trail, reached for the bear spray, only to see the bear charge him. Bears have explosive speed. I don't think he could get back on the bike, get it turned around and bail on his friend without getting overrun.

I would guess they are familiar with bear tactics so they knew what to do. I would have crapped my pants. Deer, rattle snakes, bobcats, and coyotes, no problem. A 350 lb grizzly, hello Mr. Messy Pants.

that sure is a whole lot a hear say though. would be cool to find out what actually happened. I didnt see either of them use the bear spray or holding it at the end.
    not being funny but as you say, Mr. Messy pants = get the hell away from there as quick as possible you dont hang around, human nature would make you want to get the hell out of dodge quick sharp.

Rogue Exterminator
    You don't have to outrun the bear, just the person you are with.

Lesson always ride with somebody slower.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Trail Connoisseur
    I had a similar experience two years ago. At first I just thought it was weird to see a big black dog on that trail at 5:30 in the morning. As it got closer I realized it was a black bear. Black bears don't usually maul humans (but it has happened) so my first reaction was that I might stop and pull my camera out of my pocket. I didn't have much time after that thought before it was right up on me, closing a large distance in "faster than mountain bike" speed. It stood right up in front of me and my reaction was stand on my pedals, get as big as I could. I was lucky that the bear didn't waist much time and headed off but in the overall direction that I was headed. I finished the rest of the right a little freaked out and keeping my eyes pealed for that bear. I don't know if I did the right thing but it seemed to work. That experience inspired me to buy a Gopro and haven't had anything nearly that interesting happen on the trail since. ...Glad to see some one else got the shot and lived to upload the footage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Living and riding in Grizzly country is always stimulating, that's for sure. Been in Montana for 12 years and still haven't seen one, but I carry bear spray every time. I have a good friend who was mauled badly while bowhunting. Griz are no joke!

mtbr member
    I think what we can all take away from this is that you need to be able to ride faster than a Grizzly bear can run. So, work on that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I like the first comment on Pink bike that the bear was tire of hearing about enduro.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The lifties at the ski resort in Alaska tell us what trails the bears are on....
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Size: Grizzly bears weigh upwards of 700 pounds. The males are heavier than the females and can weigh up to 1,700 pounds. A large female will weigh up to 800 pounds.

Diet: Grizzly bears are omnivores. The most commonly eaten plants are the fleshy roots of some plants, fruits, berries, grasses, and forbs. If grizzly bears are on the hunt, their prey can include fish (especially salmon), rodents like ground squirrels, carrion and hoofed animals like moose, elk, caribou, and deer. They are especially good at catching enduro riders and those on the old 26" wheel set.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    You better get really fast, they can hit 40 mph. You are not outrunning one. If you go up a tree it is worse, especially black bear, they are phenomenal climbers.

Adult grizzlies are very poor climbers, head for the nearest tree if one is available.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Better make sure it's a big tree, grizzly's have been know to knock down trees plus they will shake the shit out of it. There is no escape, what they did was correct, we'll sorta you're not suppose to run as prey runs. Stand your ground and pray he's not hungry.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Well I'm no David Attenborough but that sure looks like most black bears I've seen. Y'all can shout and throw rocks all you want but I'll take my chances and look for the fattest tree in sight, the experiences of several generations of trappers and mountain men can't be wrong.

Redcoat

Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Better make sure it's a big tree, grizzly's have been know to knock down trees plus they will shake the shit out of it. There is no escape, what they did was correct, we'll sorta you're not suppose to run as prey runs. Stand your ground and pray he's not hungry.

Cycling Into the bush where there's no through way and falling ready for the bear to maul the **** out of you is the correct thing to do? Looked more like a panic reaction if you ask me. There's not much more else they could have done if the beast was that close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Black bears can climb, browns nor so much. Browns do not get anywhere near 1700lbs, except for kodiak/coastal ones.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am just going on what servivers have said they did and what the "experts" say to do. If it was me I might have done the same shit but I might have stayed on the trail and hammered it. Who knows until I was in that situation, fear and self preservation makes you do weird shit.

Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

AZ
    banned
    The thing about most bear attack experts is that they got eaten.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    This does not help me in my entry into mountain biking

I think this summer I am going to stick to the smaller, more in city state parks that are much less likely to have bear activity.. I probably won't hit the larger national forest areas around me unless I am with a larger group of riders....

mtbr member
    I would kill it with my BEAR hands :-P

I'm with the pedal faster GTFO group and NOT be the slowest one lol
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

banned
    Sep 2010
    Bear bells attached under the saddle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: Oh $H!T Grizzly bear charges mtn biker

Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    Bear bells attached under the saddle.
    You mean dumb bells attached to your hands to beat the bear into submission.

Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the reaction that the rider had seems to me to be a totally natural reaction. i once had a massive western diamond back "appear" under my front tire as I was climbing. I lept off my bike in much the same way and ended up down the hillside...

(I should add that I have a thing with snakes, so to speak)

Have seen a few bears here and there, but thankfully never been charged! scary $hit

Terrain Sculptor
    These threads are fun. subscribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    The comment that the bear heard the squealing Avid brakes and thought it was a wounded animal is my favorite.
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    We all know or should know as mountain bikers that while riding in bear country you should have a bear bell attached to your bike. That is a bell that rings constantly with every bump you hit. This is a forwarning to let a,bear know you're coming. And hopefully it will scare him away before the encounter. These bells are especially important in Grizzley Bear country, as they are far more aggressive towards humans than Black Bears. Which makes carrying pepper spray a must for aggressive bear encounters.

It is also important as a mountain biker to learn to read bear scat [bear droppings] to know which species of bear is in the area.you are riding. It's as simple as digging through the skat to determine what they are eating. This will tell you what species of bear is around.

Black Bear droppings will have different berries and vegetation along with some small animal bones.

Grizzly Bear dropping's will contain large bones some berries and tiny little bells that smell like pepper spray.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Oh thank god, it's been at least 6hrs since that was posted.

mtbr member
    All I can say is that someone upstairs is watching over those two mountain bikers. I just goes to show you how quick things happen and how little time you have to take out bear spray, knife, gun or whatever you think may stop a wild animal. Easy to say "I would do this if this happens", but it is a total different situation when it actually happens. Great filming!

mtbr member
    hipster bears only attack 29ers.

mtbr member
    If MTB riders had guns.... Grizzly bears would fuc with um.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I still don't get why the dude would turn off the trail to travel in the same direction the bear was charging him. It would seem that if the bear was already up to running speed and a bike can't go fast enough to outrun the bear, then he would be MORE likely to get caught if the bear was serious. It would seem to me that keeping your current speed up while traveling on the trail (perpendicular to the current bear trajectory) would give you much better odds of getting away...?I mean the bear would have to change direction and then get back up to speed. This would at least give you a chance to open a gap and likely the bear would just let you go, no?
    Then again, maybe the choice of direction was totally a panic reaction and it is what it is...

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    We all know or should know as mountain bikers that while riding in bear country you should have a bear bell attached to your bike. That is a bell that rings constantly with every bump you hit. This is a forwarning to let a,bear know you're coming. And hopefully it will scare him away before the encounter. These bells are especially important in Grizzley Bear country, as they are far more aggressive towards humans than Black Bears. Which makes carrying pepper spray a must for aggressive bear encounters.

It is also important as a mountain biker to learn to read bear scat [bear droppings] to know which species of bear is in the area.you are riding. It's as simple as digging through the skat to determine what they are eating. This will tell you what species of bear is around.

Black Bear droppings will have different berries and vegetation along with some small animal bones.

Grizzly Bear dropping's will contain large bones some berries and tiny little bells that smell like pepper spray.
    You wrote that all out? Could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and quoted post #4.
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiller15 View Post
    This does not help me in my entry into mountain biking

I think this summer I am going to stick to the smaller, more in city state parks that are much less likely to have bear activity.. I probably won't hit the larger national forest areas around me unless I am with a larger group of riders....
    I live near Asheville which is close to Pisgah National Forrest. Cycle there quite a bit and see zero bear. I know they are out there but they really do try and avoid you. I don't use a bear bell and neither do my friends because they are annoying as hell but if you can always get one if you're worried. Not to mention there are only black bear in these parts and with the exception of getting between mom and cub, there is little to fear.

That being said, I don't ride Pisgah and stick the busier places when I ride alone for other reasons than wildlife. Break a leg out there on some trails and you could be spending the night before you are found.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    You wrote that all out? Could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and quoted post #4.
    Ha oh that's nice it looks like my joke is being played world wide now. I made that up back around 2000' and posted it on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I came around a corner at a race 4-5 years ago and there was a good sized black bear.
    15 - 20 ft away,behind a big bush , all i could do was keep goin,i guess it wanted to see what was up,
    and eat some berries.
    kinda funny cuz it was at an abandoned place called Jungle Habitat,where you drove thru to see wild animals.In New Jersey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ha oh that's nice it looks like my joke is being played world wide now. I made that up back around 2000' and posted it on this site.
    really?
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Black bears don't count. They won't eat you for dinner.

Trail Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    Less likely but still happens:

3 bear attacks near Aspen, campers cautioned | 9news.com

Edit: Mountain Biker Attacked by Black Bear on Kitsap Peninsula: Seattlest

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post

Oh yeah they will.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ View Post
    Oh yeah they will.
    This. And the frequency of attacks is actually much higher, with black bears, due to their closer proximity to populations and more widespread habitat...
    Framebones 29r belt drive, Surly 1x1mid-fat, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, TommiSea Fatbike, FGFS/Loopwheel, Mini-velo/MTB :ihih:

mtbr member
    When I watched that video I realized that I have been on that trail maybe 10 times over the last few years. I'm sure it's The Valley Of The Five Lakes Trail in Jasper, Alberta. That is a great trail. Very scenic, sweet singletrack in a national park. Very popular with hikers and bikers. My wife and I have seen quite a few bears in Jasper and Banff. We saw a young Grizzly at a popular trail head parking lot in Banff. He was busy eating berries and we were busy getting back to the car! I have been to Riding Mountain Natl Park in Manitoba quite a few times and have never not seen Black Bears.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDESLOW View Post
    I came around a corner at a race 4-5 years ago and there was a good sized black bear.
    15 - 20 ft away,behind a big bush , all i could do was keep goin,i guess it wanted to see what was up,
    and eat some berries.
    kinda funny cuz it was at an abandoned place called Jungle Habitat,where you drove thru to see wild animals.In New Jersey.
    Almost the same scenario happened to me except the bear was close enough to hook a couple of claws into me as I zipped past. I ended up with just a scratch but another inch closer and I would have been eviscerated.

And yes, black bears eat people.

Bear attack in Port Alberni - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So I guess settles it...downhill has the right-of-way. I got a good laugh watching that rider un-ass the bike and head downhill…looked like something out of the cartoons. It reminds me of the saying that "you don't have to be able to out run a bear…you just have to be able to outrun your partner."