Nutrition etc- Mtbr.com

Thread: Nutrition etc

Newb

Nutrition etc

Hello everyone.. I'm trey and am new to trail riding... i didnt see a thread on Nutrition so i'll ask... Im not overweight by any means, but am curious as to what sort of suppliments should i bring in my water bottle..just trying to get lean and build... like i said, not overweight but im not 'in shape',, Thanks !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like bringing special K bars and granola bars in general, though that's mostly because they taste good, the sugar content might bother you somewhat :/
    gatorade mio is also great if you want to flavor your water, or better yet, real gatorade.

mtbr member
    Water for hydration, sports drink to replace electrolytes, maybe a post workout protein shake waiting for you in the car for after the ride. I'd also take some food, bars or a pb sammich for energy so you don't bonk during the ride.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey_ View Post
    Hello everyone.. I'm trey and am new to trail riding... i didnt see a thread on Nutrition so i'll ask... Im not overweight by any means, but am curious as to what sort of suppliments should i bring in my water bottle..just trying to get lean and build... like i said, not overweight but im not 'in shape',, Thanks !!

Did you happen to notice the Nutrition forum?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Whey isolate shake for recovery. Protein helps you get lean, built, and recover faster from biking and other exercise. They whey gets absorbed into your body very quickly and it promotes anabolism meaning that your body won't start atrophying it's own muscles for energy.

Newb
    Hey thanks guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I usually just drink a bottle of water and pound a Red Bull before the ride. Once a while I'll eat some peanuts or something.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1 View Post
    Whey isolate shake for recovery. Protein helps you get lean, built, and recover faster from biking and other exercise. They whey gets absorbed into your body very quickly and it promotes anabolism meaning that your body won't start atrophying it's own muscles for energy.
    More carbs than protein immediately post recovery (within 15 minutes). About a 4:1 ratio carbs to protein. Some sources say 3:1, others 5:1. The trick is more carbs than protein. High glycemic carbs. This is about the only time high glycemic carbs are recommended. The carbs trigger an insulin response, and the insulin facilitates the amino acid uptake and glycogen replenishment into the muscle cells. Protein without carbs is worthless.

The whey thing is way overdone. True, whey is a simpler protein, so is denatured in the stomach faster and passes into the intestine faster, and thus is absorbed into the bloodstream faster, but the difference is not that great (think minutes, not hours). Whey is basically a waste product from the commercial cheesemaking industry. They used to throw it out or sell it as livestock feed supplement until some marketer figured out they could make more money by hyping it as a muscle building wonder. It works, but you get the same effect, or an even better effect, with lowfat chocolate milk, and the chocolate milk is already close to the ideal carb/protein ratio.

About an hour or so post ride consume a high protein meal. With the earlier 4:1 carb drink, the muscles are now primed to fully maximize the amino acids in your bloodstream and you can extend the anabolic phase much longer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    A few studies suggest the best "recovery drink" is low-fat chocolate milk. I'm a certified athletic trainer (sports med, not personal trainer) and have had my NCAA Div I athletes drink it after practices during pre-season. My unscientific, unquantified observations tell me it's a great recovery drink. I've drank it after workouts myself, and it's become a ritual for me.

I know what you're thinking - chocolate milk is heavy. True, but you only need 8 ounces of it. I like Organic Valley's 2% chocolate milk. Comes in an 8 oz. juice box type container.

It's got a great ratio of protein, carbs and fat. Vitamin D, calcium, natural sugar, yadda, yadda, yadda.

A google search of Men's Health and chocolate milk should bring up an interesting article or two.

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Water for hydration, sports drink to replace electrolytes, maybe a post workout protein shake waiting for you in the car for after the ride. I'd also take some food, bars or a pb sammich for energy so you don't bonk during the ride.
    Take this to the bank. It doesn't get any clearer.
    I don't rattle.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Did you happen to notice the Nutrition forum?
    I don't think he did.

It's here

Biking supplements really won't help you get "lean". They just help you along, by providing electrolytes, carbs, and protein.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The amount of high glycemic carbs you need to consume in order for there to be a practical difference in the rate of protein uptake is high enough that the insulin spike is harmful. Insulin is not good for you in excess. The body absorbs all the protein and fat it needs.

The ONLY macronutrient your body doesn't need is carbs. There are essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, but there is no such thing as an essential carb. If there is a deficiency in carbs, the body metabolizes more through processes such as ketosis and gluconeogenis.

However, a carb inclusive diet will allow you to have greater spikes of energy output, but endurance is the same. I eat carbs during my ride in the form of Pro, Kind, and Think Thin bars.

As for the whey thing being overdone, even if the benefits are over-stated, it is still a good source of high quality proteins. There are many different amino acids that constitute protein and Whey has an excellent balance of all of them. It is also highly bio-available. In fact, if you look at some of the numbers about whey, it almost seems that for every gram of whey protein you consume, your body absorbs more than a gram of whey protein.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have two bottle cages on all the bikes I ride for distance. I do use Gatorade sometimes, when I'm doing a longer ride. I think having some calories coming in all the time helps me keep a more even energy level.

I use half-strength, and only in one bottle. For a shorter ride, if you're trying to get leaner, taking in extra calories is maybe not the way to do it...
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0