NOOB: Motobecane vs entry level Giant- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Which bike is the better buy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • MotoBecane 527HT

4 40.00%
  • Giant Talon 27.5 5

2 20.00%
  • Neither, my advice is below.

4 40.00%
    mtbr member
    May 2014

NOOB: Motobecane vs entry level Giant

Hey guys, I've been reading the forum for a while but have never posted. I started biking as much as I could this past semester on the local rail trail and then got into the offroad trails that were built a few miles out of town on the main trail. I'm looking to finally upgrade from my old crappy 2002 Mongoose XR100. I've gone to my LBS and looked at several options for bikes. I am between 6'1" and 6'2", so I need something large frame. Those don't come cheap around where I'm from, since most of the used bikes on craigslist and the LBS are small/medium frame. The guys at the shop had almost talked me into buying a Giant Talon 27.5 5 at the price of 580 plus tax. I opted to wait since I didn't want to leave a good giant locked up outside school. But after reading the forums, I came across many people who really liked the bikes they got from BikesDirect.

Any input on whether the MotoBecane 527HT is a great deal at 549 in comparison to the Giant Talon 5?

The specs for the Moto are:
    Frame Custom 6061T6 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY frame, gussetted downtube, sculpted rear dropouts with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses (13 and 15" have one set, other sizes have two sets), Standard rear V mounts
    Fork SUNTOUR 27.5" SUSPENSION FORK, SF13-XCT-MLO-DS ALLOY BLACK CROWN with Lockout
    Crankset SUNTOUR CW13-XCT-T312PB 22T BKx32T BKx42T BKx175MM
    Bottom Bracket SUNTOUR BB10-XCT-SQS-113-CBT CARTRIDGE
    Pedals ATB Beartrap
    Front Derailleur SRAM FD-3.0-A1 TOP PULL
    Rear Derailleur SRAM RD-X4-A1 SILVER CAGE
    Shifters SRAM X4 24-Speed
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 11-32T-8 (24 speeds total)
    Chain KMC Z-72 STEEL GY/BR.
    Hubs Formula DiscSpecific Aluminum (black) Contact Sealed Ball Bearing mechanism
    Spokes 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE.
    Rims WTB SPEED DISC W120-1896, 650Bx32H ALLOY BLACK
    Tires WTB WOLVERINE W110-0474, 650Bx2.2 BLACK A/V.
    Brakes TEKTRO DRACO Hydraulic DISC BRAKE.
    Brake Levers TEKTRO DRACO Hydraulic DISC BRAKE.
    Headset Cane Creek Internal Sealed caged ball bearing VP A42E 1.125 inch
    Handlebar Skye Comp W:620MMxR:20MMx6 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Stem Skye Comp Threadless Aluminum
    EXT:90MM(13"~17")/110MM(19"~21")x10 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual Compound
    Saddle WTB Speed V Sport SE with comfort groove
    Seat Post Skye Aluminum Micro-Adjust 400MM, ALLOY BLACK
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR
    Sizes as listed
    Colors Black

Thanks in advanve guys! I really appreciate the input.

Hell Track
    My Advice is to wait and find a good used deal or buy something at a shop that you can test. Bikes Direct is probably good if you know exactly what you are looking for in a bike and have a good Idea of what to expect when you get it. Otherwise you're stuck with a bike you may not like. Craigslist has been very kind to me over the years but I'm in SoCal so the market is huge. A shop will be more expensive of course but if they're good they'll get you on the right bike. Buy the best bike you can possibly afford (hardtail if new). My advice take it or leave it, good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Here in central Mississippi the selection is not quite as plentiful, especially if searching for large frame MTB. The LBS sells expensive, as in 6 year old used bikes at 65+% of original retail. Any input on shimano vs sram components? The gravity G27five G2 is the same price with shimano parts, so I am also considering it.

Flappity flappity flap
    I'd try my hand at negotiating to 30-40% of retail on one of those six year old bikes, if you think they'll treat you well for the loyalty... but I personally prefer old good stuff to new mediocre stuff.

65% of retail is too much for a new bike from three model years ago, much less a used one.

29ers Forever
    Look at some 29ers: Trek has some good inexpensive options that will fit you better than a 27" wheeled bike.
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    29 is the bike you should be going for.
    Good tapered air fork and decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components make this trail ready.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay

mtbr member
    May 2014

Re: NOOB: Motobecane vs entry level Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    I'd try my hand at negotiating to 30-40% of retail on one of those six year old bikes, if you think they'll treat you well for the loyalty... but I personally prefer old good stuff to new mediocre stuff.

65% of retail is too much for a new bike from three model years ago, much less a used one.
    Yes, I totally agree that is too much. Prices are set, I've tried negotiating several times. They'll only negotiate on trades. No other shops nearby with entry level stuff (other than chain stores like Walmart, academy, etc), so they sort of have the market cornered. But they're service is great, so most customers don't mind paying a little more for the friendly service.

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Look at some 29ers: Trek has some good inexpensive options that will fit you better than a 27" wheeled bike.

Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    29 is the bike you should be going for.
    Good tapered air fork and decent Shimano Alivio/Deore drive components make this trail ready.
    2013 Marin Bobcat Trail 29er 19" MTB Hardtail Bike Shimano 9S Hydraulic Disc New | eBay
    I've heard mixed reviews on the 29ers. A lot of people online seem to like them and a few guys my size that I know like them. I'm ~6'2" and 220 lbs. The guys that don't like the 29ers are smaller (probable 5'10" and 160 lbs) and said they didn't like the sluggishness cornering and the balance; they said they felt like they'd fall off the bike on switchbacks due to the extra height.

Granted, one of the guys that didn't like it worked at the LBS and was trying to sell me a 27.5, so that probably contributed.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Hell Track
    I wouldn't worry about wheel size so much. If 29 feels slow or weird, I'm sure after a few rides and you adjust to it, it will feel normal. That Marin bobcat is probably not a bad idea. Check these guys . They are blowing old marins out
    Random Bike Parts - Good Parts, Great Price

Flappity flappity flap
    Don't let the LBS guys push you around, you have the money.

@ that height and weight, IMHO you are a decent candidate for a 29er, especially if you're just starting out. I love mine for longer rides, it forgives minor lapses in technique, although the 26er still gets a lot of play on 'fun' rides.

I'd say if they have great service, ride what they have that fits you, and if the price sounds right for how good the bike feels and how well they'll treat you, go for it. A good LBS is worth a bit of money...

mtbr member
    May 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post

@ that height and weight, IMHO you are a decent candidate for a 29er, especially if you're just starting out. I love mine for longer rides, it forgives minor lapses in technique, although the 26er still gets a lot of play on 'fun' rides.
    That's the only reason I hadn't really considered the 29er, I like the way my 26er turns on switchbacks. I may try to test ride one soon.

The LBS usually only has one or two used bikes my frame size, and between price, warranty, and free tuneups, I'd probably buy new there if I buy there.

Thanks for the input guys! Just got a new job today, so hopefully I can save up enough for a decent one soon, whatever I get.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you depend on the LBS for mechanic services then buy there. If you're capable of doing all of your own maintenance and upgrades then seriously consider a catalog/house brand bike. More bang for your buck. Better have thick skin though because the brand snobs will do their dead level best to assert the superiority of their bike/brand.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Quote Originally Posted by trboxman View Post
    If you depend on the LBS for mechanic services then buy there. If you're capable of doing all of your own maintenance and upgrades then seriously consider a catalog/house brand bike. More bang for your buck. Better have thick skin though because the brand snobs will do their dead level best to assert the superiority of their bike/brand.
    I have done my own in the past. Only think I had to rely on the LBS for was replacing the spoke guard because I didn't have the cassette tool back when I had a pretty bad derailleur mishap. I am decent with maintenance and mechanical things. And I'm not worried about brand snobs. Most people here don't ride anything but low end Trek, Giant, or wally world specials. I'm more concerned with parts and performance than a brand stamp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I say get a cheaper bd bike with decent components, and get an epicon of Amazon for 200 bucks. Also gonna need good tires and pedals. It will still be cheaper than an lbs bike and have the same components with a better fork.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2