Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?- Mtbr.com
    Not a role model

Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?

I've got a long list of products/concepts I've wanted to at least demo (tried to sort from front of bike to back):

Polymer spoked wheel (Berd, Pi-Rope, Newmen) - this one's pretty high on my wishlist
    Energy return wheel
    Suspension wheels (Loopwheel)
    29+, 32", 36" wheels
    Linkage fork (Motion or Trust)
    Dual-crown fork (MRP Bartlett, Lefty)
    Hand guards (AVS or Mr. Wolf)
    RevGrips
    FASST Bars - no room to clamp accessories in the middle
    Dropper stem - worried about it smacking into the top tube on a crash
    Stiffmaster headset
    Angleset (Works, Cane Creek, FSA?)
    OneUp EDC steerer tool setup
    Noseless saddle (All-Wings Falcon)
    Gearbox (Pinion, Effigear, Rohloff, Kindernay, Nuvinci, Alfine)
    Off-road FS bike capable cargo options (SWAT, framebags)
    Heavy duty tire inserts (Mr. Wolf SmartMousse or Banger)
    Reinforced grippy tires (beyond Assegai DH level, maybe Schwalbe Eddy Current?)
    Novel linkage designs (high pivot w/idler, Tantrum Missing Link, I-track Suspension)

And the stuff that only exists in my head: the concept of a bike that is nigh impervious to breakdown, but still rides well, or a complete holistically designed bike that is super well integrated, with parts designed for it, rather than it being designed around existing parts.

Pretty sure I missed some stuff. Haven't really considered trying a Fat Bike or Tall Bike, recumbent, trike, velomobile, etc, since I like "cross-stuntry" style riding (basically XC riding on a bike capable of occasional freeriding).

I've already tried sub-61d HA, 81+d STA, 490+mm reach (as a 5' 7" rider), sub-165mm cranks (152mm), tall BB (350+mm), tall stack (645+mm), 29Fr and 27.5/27.5+Rr mixed wheel size, CushCore, steel FS, coil fork, silent clutch rear hub, Di2, emtbs, Ai offset rear ends, most mainstream susp linkages, and pretty much everything found on '19 enduro bike like the SB150.

Can't really say I had a truly regretful or negative experience with any, that makes me advise others to stay away, since I value the learning experience. Wondering what others have tried and are willing to talk about. Also willing to answer technical questions, as long as I can speak about it from experience with minimal speculation and prejudice.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I want to try the Trek Full Stache.

mtbr member
    I try not to think about these things too much. I'd rather focus on the experience rather than the equipment. That does not stop me from fussing over my bike, but gear lust would be such much worse if I were to allow myself to fret over all that exotic stuff I can't afford, financially or in the time of would take away from normal riding.

since 4/10/2009
    I'd try whatever if it was easily available for a demo ride that didn't cost anything. I've tried a few things that way.

But a bunch of the really off the wall stuff you mentioned, I'm never going to get an opportunity to try unless I drop some coin. And that's not worth it to me. If I'm going to spend money on something, I want it to be a reasonably known quantity.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I want to ride at Retallack. It seems like it would be a different and awesome experience.

https://www.retallack.com/mountain-biking/

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I want to ride at Retallack. It seems like it would be a different and awesome experience.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

since 4/10/2009

Now I'd drop some coin to do something like that before I'd spend the same to try out some weird bike part I might not like.

monster member
    Recording power at each pedal is a curious thing, but I'd never pay the $ for it until it comes down to $80 or so, which isn't going to happen.

And I'd like to try the new various camelpacks / hip packs / lower-back packs, etc.

I think I'd be fine with a 12-50 11-speed cassette instead of my current 11-50 12-speed, but I haven't seen someone make that.

Otherwise, not a lot that I'm curious about. More curious to try new trails, new events, new locations vs new stuff.
    Have fun!

Cycologist
    I'm happy with what I have and don't have a lot of time or desire to mess with trying stuff out. I did buy a bike off of eBay a few years back that came with a rapid rise derailleur. It worked really great, shifted really well under load. But, I'd end up forgetting it was backwards and shift it in the wrong direction. Then I'd get on my other bike and shift it in the wrong direction. So it got replaced.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

jcd's best friend
    This: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv1T1YNl...=18nplhv6ykt3u

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    Trek …monda | Transition Scout | Transition PBJ | Framed Attack Pro

Not a role model

Dang. That reminds me. I ran into some XC rider on Monday (Apr 1) that said he did something similar. Started at midway, climbed to the top, descended 6000' then climbed back to the start. Maybe it was this; when he said up North, I was thinking the Sierras, until I saw this. Considering how he was ambitious enough to try and explore the trail system we were at in a single outing, which I told him it took me multiple days, I now understand how extreme people's experiences are. And here I was cautioning him that he was about to follow us on a jump line with a gnarly rock garden at the end, all on an Open O-1 hardtail. I fist bumped him cause that rock garden scared me, in celebration. xD

Man I'm so casual, compared to some people's ambitions, nerding out on mechanical stuff. Reminds me when I showed someone the most challenging climb I know of on a trail, saying I worked pretty hard to improve to a 50% success rate, and he did it first try. He was saying that he did that stuff out in Sedona. I felt ashamed of the hype I gave it...

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    ...I felt ashamed of the hype I gave it...
    Been there. Done that.

I was into frame materials for awhile. I bought a Univega aluminum metal matrix composite frame way back when. The Specialized M2 was coming out around the same time (M2 = Metal Matrix).
    Of course, it broke. But the amazing part was that when it did break - the downtube, of all things, broke in half about 5" below the headtube - the top tube alone still held my weight! I hopped off to see what was wrong and the frame actually snapped back together tight enough that I at first could not tell it was broken. I had to lean on the frame to cause the broken tube to separate again. It was both impressive and really disappointing. I'm mostly a steel guy now.

I'm finally going to try 12-speed. That's about as non-traditional as I go.
    (my biking style has been compared to some of the local Amish No offense to the Amish.)

I am pretty happy to let others play with the latest greatest stuff. My ride is enhanced by confidence in my gear - not by wondering how it will perform.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    This: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv1T1YNl...=18nplhv6ykt3u

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.
    too flexy
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd like to try a gearbox bike, tire inserts and some of the Spank Vibrocore stuff. Really about it as far as novel stuff.

I am kind of interested in the RevGrips but $80 seems like an insane amount to spend on grips.

Not really novel stuff I want to try is a fat bike and dirt jumper.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

the discerning hooligan
    It's not mountain bike related, but I really want an old Velocino. I've seen guys who have built their own. Maybe as a summer project?
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    We've been abusively testing the carbon Structure SCW 1 in preparation for approval of full production, and the results exceed our expectations. Dead quiet and laterally stiff, stable and supple front and rear, agile and supportive while climbing, and with a 40% reduction in front brake dive, it's the most confidence-inspiring enduro our team has ridden on techy single-track. Don't take our word for it; we'd love to have you come ride with us.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Nothing seems to kill me
    I want to try the Trek Full Stache.
    I was on a mission about this time last year to test ride one. But no one in town had one in stock. Time to start looking again. From all the reviews I read, the thing is a beast.
    And after calming me down with some orange slices and fetal spooning, ET revealed to me my singular purpose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'd like to try a gearbox someday. A linkage fork too, just because I'm interested. I rarely outride my current fork.

I'm about to install an angleset on my first gen Bronson to drop the HTA from 67 to 66 as I've been riding more park and everyone who's done it seems to really like it, but I barely consider anglesets non-traditional at this point.

slow
    I am about as far from the cutting edge as is possible. I typically find something that works and stick with it. If something gains popularity and is found to be reliable and durable, I'll wait for the next cool thing to come along and then buy the most recent and proven cool thing from the early adopters.

Back in my early shop days, I had co-workers who had to try every new toy and each new CNC anodized bit, but who often spent tons of time tweaking their bikes to make thinigs work or replacing things that failed because those things were sent to market too early. Meanwhile, I had found reliable, light, durable, and inexpensive items and my bikes just kept working.

My biggest stretch to something non-traditional was running an AMP F-2 linkage fork back in the early 90's when everyone else was using telescoping forks.

mtbr member
    Back in the day, one of these Syntace adjustable stems, downhill rated, came on a full suspension Jamis I bought. This stem was totally awesome, and if they came out with a shorter one with the bar sweep I like and wide enough bars, I'd be all over it again. The clamping mechanism was bomber. I still have it, but its 90mm long, and can't use it on anything in the last 15 years. It would take mere seconds to make changes to your cockpit. Set it long for climbs, move it back for the downhills. The dual clamp design, spaced out, made for the stiffest bar you could find, back in the day.
    Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-kat-vro.jpg
    I would advise not taking my advice.

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by StructureBikes View Post
    We've been abusively testing the carbon Structure SCW 1 in preparation for approval of full production, and the results exceed our expectations. Dead quiet and laterally stiff, stable and supple front and rear, agile and supportive while climbing, and with a 40% reduction in front brake dive, it's the most confidence-inspiring enduro our team has ridden on techy single-track. Don't take our word for it; we'd love to have you come ride with us.

Whoa, that thing looks wicked!

Yes, I've always wanted to try a Stache also but never seemed to find a demo bike.
    Have fun!

Not a role model
    That Structure SCW looks pretty good without the paint. Is that the 3rd SCW-1 version? Cool that you guys got the funds to take it that far. RMR introduced me to it, saying he was a former engineer on it, but we had disagreements about geo with him wanting some long CS proportions without much solid evidence. I thought weight balance looked okay in the middle size (G2), figuring my sweet spot is between G2 and G3. Considering the cost of a Motion and Trust linkage fork and modern enduro frame, the asking price seemed in the ball park, with an interesting guarantee to help make the new brand seem more trustworthy.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I try not to think about these things too much. I'd rather focus on the experience rather than the equipment. That does not stop me from fussing over my bike, but gear lust would be such much worse if I were to allow myself to fret over all that exotic stuff I can't afford, financially or in the time of would take away from normal riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'd try whatever if it was easily available for a demo ride that didn't cost anything. I've tried a few things that way.

But a bunch of the really off the wall stuff you mentioned, I'm never going to get an opportunity to try unless I drop some coin. And that's not worth it to me. If I'm going to spend money on something, I want it to be a reasonably known quantity.

Mack and Harold,

We'd be friends in real life.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    That Structure SCW looks pretty good without the paint. Is that the 3rd SCW-1 version? Cool that you guys got the funds to take it that far. RMR introduced me to it, saying he was a former engineer on it, but we had disagreements about geo with him wanting some long CS proportions without much solid evidence. I thought weight balance looked okay in the middle size (G2), figuring my sweet spot is between G2 and G3. Considering the cost of a Motion and Trust linkage fork and modern enduro frame, the asking price seemed in the ball park, with an interesting guarantee to help make the new brand seem more trustworthy.
    Hi ninjichor, we would love for you to see and ride the bike.

It's everything we hoped it to be, and we're kind of digging the raw carbon look too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am currently trying out Tubolito tubes. They are expensive but around the midwest I don't encounter thorns and such hardly. If you haven't heard of them, see https://www.tubolito.com/en/

I don't run tubeless. These things are the next best thing to tubeless (My opinion).

I have been using these for the last 4 months. They are working great. I have them in my 27.5 x 2.8 Plus bike. So far so good. They also make a spare tube that I carry, and it is so incredibly LIGHT that I can't even tell my spare is with me!

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by StructureBikes View Post
    Hi ninjichor, we would love for you to see and ride the bike.

It's everything we hoped it to be, and we're kind of digging the raw carbon look too.

Regarding that eccentric that changes the anti-dive levels, you said it's located in the aft-end of the upper front control arm. As in, just under the stem faceplate bolts or by the frame shock mount? Not sure of the nomenclature, but "front" confused me; the latter is part of the linkage, while the former just seems there to transfer steering force.

I'm not likely gonna be at Sea Otter, but someone I know is going. I'll suggest to them to check things out. Not sure if you got anything rideable yet, but he rides with me regularly and is similar enough that I can get a fair bit of context/understanding from what he's saying.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Definitely have him stop by. We have two very rideable bikes with us.

Formerly of Kent

Tire inserts. They let you ride lower profile, faster tires at lower pressures. Faster than knobbier tires with the same traction. No roll, dramatically reduced rim impacts.

So much so that Iím contemplating making some for my road bike. Iíll have to go tubeless and lose the skin walls but it will be worth it, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Not a role model

Geeking out over this Sea Otter Classic coverage stuff, but didn't see anything that caught my eye.

Guess I'd add the single wall carbon rim, such as the Zipp 3ZeroMoto and Bouwmeister, to the list of things to consider trying.

Maxxis cult follower
    How about a new, modern-geometry 24-27 lb 26" bike w/ air fork for under $1200:

https://www.amazon.com/BEIOU-Mountai...AS6?th=1&psc=1

Model: BO-CB024
    Finish: 3K Matte
    Material: Toray T800 Carbon Fiber
    Frame Size: 17"/19"/21"
    Wheel Size: 26"
    Frame: Beiou Carbon Fiber Unibody Frame
    Flat Handlebar: BEIOU Carbon Fiber integrated body /600mm/31.8mm
    Seat Post: BEIOU Carbon Fiber integrated body/350mm/31.6mm
    Speed Control System: SHIMANO DEORE 6000(10S)
    Braking System: SHIMANO M355 hydraulic disc braking
    Fork: UDING DH32 /26" Air Suspension Fork
    Cable Routing: Internal Cable Routing
    Brake Type: Hidden Disc Brake
    Crankset: Prowheel integrated crankset
    Cassette Sprockets: SUNRACE MTB cassette 10S
    Cycle Chain: YBN 10S
    Wheelset: RT 26 professional MTB wheelset
    Saddle: BEIOU Black-Red
    Pedal: WELLGO M248
    Tire: MAXXIS 26*1.95 60TPI
    Accessories: multi tools pedal
    Weight: 10.65kg

I say 24-27 lbs because the manufacturer claims 24 lbs w/o pedals, but the buyers usually claim 26-27 lbs on these Chinese carbon mountain bikes. No idea how good or bad the air fork is. 3x10 easy to go 2x or 1x.

BTW Savadeck has a 27.5" 3x10 (it lists a true 27 lbs), but only Suntour XCT coil fork for $900 (!!!); upgrade program to Raidon air would only be an extra $250 which is about the same price total as the BEIOU 26" above. That fork upgrade would also take about 1.5 lbs off the bike to 25.5 lbs total, very good deal for the money:

https://www.amazon.com/SAVADECK-DECK...ull&th=1&psc=1

I have this same 27.5" 17 inch carbon frame sitting in my garage, waiting for more cash. Plan is to put on a tapered air fork (leaning towards the 3.8 lb Manitou Machete Pro), 1x11 Shimano with e-thirteen 9-46 cassette, and a Chinese ICAN 3.60 lb carbon wheelset x/XD driver ($500-600). If the above bike really is 27 lbs, then I think I can get this build to around 24-25 lbs but it would cost around $2500 to do ($1600 more than the starting bike above). Maybe it would have been better just to get the $900 complete bike above and then build it up, who knows.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

Cycologist
    [QUOTE=richj8990;14052878]How about a new, modern-geometry 24-27 lb 26" bike w/ air fork for under $1200:

https://www.amazon.com/BEIOU-Mountai...AS6?th=1&psc=1

The fact that it comes with 1.95 tires should be a big hint to you on what you'd be getting.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm certainly not scared of trying out new stuff.

Had a gearbox DH bike a few years ago (a GT iT-1) and currently have a deviate guide with a pinion, just backed a kickstarter for the cinq trigger shifters, so that will be interesting.
    Got one of the first Specialized turbo levos
    Backed what would become shockwiz in the original dusty dynamics kickstarter
    Having some carbon cranks custom made for the above pinion
    Backed Trickstuffs Maxima kickstarter.
    Was interested in Sicks Sleipnir project, until the owner told me to **** off. looks like i dodged a bullet.
    Got road Di2 pretty early on, and just got XX1 AXS, waiting on an AXS reverb (and trying to convince pinion to integrate with it but they aren't giving anything away...)
    Have ordered plenty of bikes on release date, without demo/first ride reports.

I haven't really any need to try super weird geo numbers, as I'm of distinctly average proportions.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mixed wheelsize 97.5 bike (29" front, 27.5" rear). Still testing and tuning but I feel quite good about this bike so far.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    An awesome thread with really interesting ideas. Then some really boring people saying stuff like "I try not to think about new tech".

What the actual F#$_. Allow yourself to dream.

Right now my mind is perculating components I can design and get 3d printed in titanium.

Stem, stem cap, seat collars, through axles,

Right

Not a role model
    Gotta think more out of the box there plummet. You gotta 3D print the entire cockpit out of Ti (stem camp, stem, and part of the handlebar), make it aligned with the wheel perfectly every time, and get around the minimum stem length limit by plugging in the "bar ends to the side. Can sell drop, bull horn, and other style of bar ends for it.

mtbr member
    I did see a carbon integrated stem/handlebar in one piece on a vid the other day.

$650 euro is a pit steep for me. but dang that looks cool.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gemini...barcelona.html

I do like your bar end plug ti printed stem/cap idea.

I do also like the crazy front linkage structure bike. Its weird and praying mantice like.

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I did see a carbon integrated stem/handlebar in one piece on a vid the other day.

$650 euro is a pit steep for me. but dang that looks cool.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/gemini...barcelona.html

I do like your bar end plug ti printed stem/cap idea.

I do also like the crazy front linkage structure bike. Its weird and praying mantice like.
    Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-img_8952.jpg

Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-dsc_5413.jpg

Combination of these two were what I had in mind.

- Designing the stem to integrate the middle part of the handlebar and the top cap (reportedly results in a stiffer stem and lighter setup anyways)

- Designing the handlebar as extensions/add-ons (above done like the Atherton's bike)

Or just plain attach two separate handlebar extensions to the top of the crown, on a dual crown set-up. Not exactly new ideas...

Name:  150Y120_3a8e5ea0-9edc-40ef-93cd-a085953fd7b9_1024x1024.png
Views: 303
Size:  182.2 KB

From an structural PoV, single crown suspension fork design looks kind of odd to me, considering all the loads are being cantilevered at the crown-steerer unit; that small connection point between the stanchion and crown... I do wonder if the confidence from a dual-crown will allow average riders to expand their comfort zone, dragging brakes less and less afraid to go bigger.

mtbr member
    I'm reconing if your going to that effort you might as well do the one piece stem/handlebar. I would buy one now if i had the cash!
    It makes perfect sense to me. Remove failure points, make bike lighter and add strength/ reduce stress risers.

High Plains Luddite
    Drop bars on a rigid 26er!

Not a role model
    I honestly think there is a lack of neckwear and think gloves could extend a little longer up the wrist.

I currently have a battery strapped to my helmet, since I dislike having it in my pack. I imagine that if there were some cargo-carrying neckwear, it would carry the weight better (on my shoulders, rather than on my neck like the helmet).

Can serve as protection from the sun and like a Leatt brace. It could also help with any other gadgets I want to run on my head, such as a camera, mic, music player, or even a headset/display for the future of augmented reality.

Name:  cEvNTHi.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  29.9 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You lost me on 29er +. Been around for quite sometime.

Bent, not broken.
    I'm reconing if your going to that effort you might as well do the one piece stem/handlebar. I would buy one now if i had the cash!
    It makes perfect sense to me. Remove failure points, make bike lighter and add strength/ reduce stress risers.
    Everything old is new again.

Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-klein-mc2.jpg
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

mtbr member
    I don't know if I could handle a integrated handlebar/stem as I am fairly picky about the angle of my grips.

Formerly of Kent

After watching people ride by from inside the local dog park today, particularly people on long travel bikes, I understand why they are wanting steeper STAs. And why I donít.

Some of these people are sitting so far back on the saddle while climbing or just riding on flat ground that you canít see any of the saddle. Men and women. Per an Ergon saddle measuring machine (you sit on it, and it tells you how far apart your sit bones are), I know I have a relatively narrow posterior. 10.0cm from bone to bone, which puts me on the far left end of the scale.

If I were to be caught on film, youíd see 2Ē of saddle behind me. Where some people look like their ass is going PacMan on the saddle. They have to sit very far rearward to be comfortable, whereas it would be extremely uncomfortable for me to pedal a bike that way.

Learn something new every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
    I'm afraid of welds being a serious failure point on stems. I stopped worrying about stem failures ever since 3D forged ones became mainstream.

----

Gonna seriously look into snake-bite gaiters for mtb. Trails are way overgrown and I'm tired of picking spiky plant stuff out of my shoes, socks, etc.

Oh and steep STA are seriously comfy when cruising uphill. They seem to put a bit too much weight on the hands on flat ground though. Tried raising the handlebar a bit higher to counter that, but it felt funny with the grips so far from the tire.

Other things I've tried and can vouch for:
    - enduro full face: i'm totally satisfied wearing it full time for trail riding. I like how the mouth opening allows me to breathe and drink
    - Outbound lighting "automobile tech" light heads: has a very usable beam pattern that lays a nice carpet of light, is very efficient (long run time, runs cool), and is light and tough
    - Smith ChromaPop lens: it's like having a vivid filter for your eyes. Colors are so much richer. Very nice in goggle form
    - RaceFace Flank D30 Knee/Shin guard: also fine with wearing this full time for trail riding. Hasn't loosened on me over the year I've been using it, like my old super comfy 661 Kyle Strait pads did. Having that 1 over-the-calf strap is key to it staying up, and the soft D30 material makes it comfy. Seems durable too--used it for doing garden work too.

Nat
    mtbr member
    make it aligned with the wheel perfectly every time
    Speaking of that, why arenít steerer tube and stem interfaces fluted just like bottom bracket spindles and cranks?

Who here hasnít eyeballed in the garage the stem looking aligned with the front wheel then headed out on a ride only to discover that the alignment is off by just a hair?

With cranks you line up the flutes so the arms are 180 degrees and tighten the bolts. Perfect every time.

Bent, not broken.
    Speaking of that, why arenít steerer tube and stem interfaces fluted just like bottom bracket spindles and cranks?

Who here hasnít eyeballed in the garage the stem looking aligned with the front wheel then headed out on a ride only to discover that the alignment is off by just a hair?

With cranks you line up the flutes so the arms are 180 degrees and tighten the bolts. Perfect every time.
    You'd want some type of fuse in the system so it can swivel in a hard enough hit, but is also easily replaced when that happens. - its much cheaper and faster to realign a stem and fork than to replace either.

Maybe instead of a splined connection, the stem, steerer, and frame could have visible marks that make alignment as easy as lining up three dots and tightening the clamp.
    I got no new tricks, yeah I'm up on bricks but me
    I'm a machine and I was built to last - Frank Turner.

Barely in control
    No one says I-beam style saddles? Me neither lol.

the discerning hooligan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Klein MC2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	1248641
    I'll be using these for the upcoming ratrodbikes.com summer build-off...literally "picked" from a friends garden.

I don't really seek...I mostly just find.

Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-img_1593.jpg
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    You'd want some type of fuse in the system so it can swivel in a hard enough hit, but is also easily replaced when that happens. - its much cheaper and faster to realign a stem and fork than to replace either.

Maybe instead of a splined connection, the stem, steerer, and frame could have visible marks that make alignment as easy as lining up three dots and tightening the clamp.
    I sent my stem/steerer bolts so the stem moves on a hard hit. They way you dont break stuff, you just need to reposition the handle bar after a crash.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I sent my stem/steerer bolts so the stem moves on a hard hit. They way you dont break stuff, you just need to reposition the handle bar after a crash.
    Old dirt bike [MX] trick. We used to set the brake and clutch levers just snug enough to where they donít move while riding but will move upon a hard crash. That way they donít snap off on impact. And Iíve snapped off plenty prior to doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Barely in control
    Yeah I do that on my shifters, brake levers too. Still trying to find a good solution for when the bars spin and hit the top tube. There's just no cushion that doesnt loook mad max inspired.

Not a role model
    I'm also interested in anti-snake bite gaiters, that repels trail debris and doesn't cook my foot.

Tired of getting covered in these itchy barb foxtail things.

Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-5.10freerider.jpg

I bet hikers would find it unpleasant to follow their usual custom of allowing bikers to pass, by stepping into overgrowth potentially hiding rattlesnakes, and getting covered in these things.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Non-Traditional Things I Own:

Lauf Fork

Tubolito Tubes

Rohloff Speedhub

Jones Loop H Bars

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Non-Traditional Things I Own:

Lauf Fork

Tubolito Tubes

Rohloff Speedhub

Jones Loop H Bars
    I hope these are all on the same bike.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ďNon-traditionalĒ at the time, now mainstream, Camelbak, SPD, height adjustable seatpost (HiteRite), 1x (although this was on a bike used for stock trials)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    I hope these are all on the same bike.
    Three of them.

I carry the Tubolito is in a seat pack. I run tubeless.

Non-traditional products/concepts you've considered trying?-80fd3f56-16fe-464d-bf23-445ba143a068.jpg