Newbie needs help fast- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Newbie needs help fast

I'm new to mountain biking & i'm about to buy a new bike this week. The problem I have is I like to buy once, I know most folks upgrade constantly but I would like to buy the best I can now. The type of riding I will do will be paved road to rough trails. I have the opportunity to buy a new 2011 trek fuel ex7 full sus for $1860.00 out the door. This may be a little over kill for the type of riding I will do most of the time. The other bike I'm looking at is the cannondale trail sl2. It looks good & seems to have some nice components. I'm just not sure what to do so any help would be appreciated. Oh by the way, if this is in the wrong area please be gentle & nudge me in the right direction. Thanks.

REALLY?
    Go on ebay with that amount of money and buy yourself a sick VRC (vintage/retro/classic) bike, perhaps a Ritchey, Mountain Goat, Salsa, Bontrager ...this list could go on, generally, you get nicer parts on a used bike.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    If you only have enough to buy one bike, take your time. Buyer's remorse sucks as I've been there. There are lots of great bikes out there at various price points. Check out different shops and different bikes. Just because it's on sale doesn't mean it's the bike for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I was in a similar boat, wanted something that would last and I could grow with. I went with the fuel ex 8 and it's an amazing bike and I am more than happy with it. I'm sure the ex 7 is similar and you'd love it. Don't know much about the cannondale so can't comment on that.

Good luck with your decision

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstAscent View Post
    I was in a similar boat, wanted something that would last and I could grow with. I went with the fuel ex 8 and it's an amazing bike and I am more than happy with it. I'm sure the ex 7 is similar and you'd love it. Don't know much about the cannondale so can't comment on that.

Good luck with your decision
    Thas. Anyone else have any advice ? I have read that a full sus bike will require more maintanence which is pretty much common sense with the more moving parts. I'm kinda gun shy on that end of the deal. Does anyone on here have any experience with the cannondale trail series bikes ? I found a cannondale rush6 sl with components upgraded to xt & xtr for $1300. If this bike is in good condition, would that be a good price ?

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 ex7. It rides perfectly fine for XC.

Although, if I was buying again and sticking with Trek, I would get a remedy instead.

Sent from my I897 using Tapatalk
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    which one felt better when you test rode them?
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26
    '11 Kona Kula Watt

REALLY?
    Newbie needs help fast

04-01-2012 11:26 AM

dumb ass advice

Why, because you dont agree with it? Or because I gave advice for a bike that isnt blingy and new enough, is because I hate Treks and think they are absolute junk (I kept that opinion to myself in my opening post you'll notice)...in any case, so what.

I took advice like this before on buying a bike (from myself actually) - buy a yourself a new bike I said, I picked one out (a 2009 G.T.) - and in the end I wasnt happy with it and bought a VRC bike, I was and still am quite happy with my VRC bike.

Just because you dont like it, or agree isnt any reason to neg rep me. But hey, thanks anyway - I'll see you after you make 100 reps to others and you can come back and neg rep me again - of course it wont matter, my rep will go up as it has continued to do so over the past several weeks, you'll still be hiding behind your keyboard trolling the boards handing out "un-signed" neg reps - have a nice day.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just got a 2002 Klein Adept frame, so I guess I'm going the VRC route as well.

Chubby Chaser
    This is just my 0.02 cent but I think people rarely "buy the best they can afford and be happy with it". You might think that you'll just mostly be riding paved roads now, but there's a possibility a few months down the road you'll find an awesome trail with technical descents, drops, and jumps that you'd love to bomb down.

Also you might start riding with other people and you'll start seeing this brand of bike or that brand of bike and start getting major bike envy. Since you're new to riding you don't know what you want yet. It's like a 13 yr old kid who just got his first girlfriend and then claiming that's the girl he's going to end up marrying.

So my advice is to buy an entry level bike $500-700 and ride it for a while, then upgrade to a better bike once you know more about what's out there and the type of riding you really like to do.

mtbr member
    Do you have any bike wreching (technical term) experience? I like having nice stuff, but due to other hobbies that cost too much, I'm a fan of buying something off CL old enough to be affordable, but new enough to still be compatible with most of the new parts/pieces/components out there. That being said...if you got the $ to spend, support your local LBS and go for it IMHO.

DFMBA.org
    Sette Razzo from Pricepoint. These are spec'd out really well for the $$.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP - make it fair, and look at a $1860 hardtail. The Flash 3 or Flash 29er 3 for example. I think a hardtail sucks less on the road, but really, neither is ideal.

When I was in college, I had some money fall into my lap. I figured it wouldn't really make a dent in my tuition bill, so I bought my road bike with it. I rode that bike stock for a few years. Over time, I changed to a saddle I liked better. When some things wore out, I put on some different shifters and a handlebar I liked better. It also has new rims and some new chain rings, but quite a lot of it is still stock.

While it's not realistic to expect that you'll never spend money maintaining a bike, an SLX build, Recon Gold on the front of the bike and some discipline will keep you from needing to upgrade. I think people tend to do that when they underbuy, or just because people develop a need to buy things to bolt to their bikes that's not really related to improving the function of the bike. Maybe sometimes it's magical thinking - we're all that one perfect tire or lighter wheel away from being Danny MacAskill.

FWIW, while the bikes I've had a little while have developed pretty non-stock builds, my "most senior" is the road bike I bought in 2000, which is still my main road training/racing/fun bike and my next older bikes are '07 and '09 (bought in '08) mountain and 'cross bikes. Barring a major failure, I tend to keep them for a long time. So, I don't think you're being unrealistic about wanting to hold onto your bike for a long time. Sometimes I wonder if the people who turn over their bikes really fast ever even get them really dialed in.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    +1...well said.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I agree, you'll get nicer components for your money if you go used. But try looking at the Foundry Router, a 29" MTB Carbon Frame for a good price.

Gus

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgothro View Post
    Newbie needs help fast

04-01-2012 11:26 AM

dumb ass advice

Why, because you dont agree with it? Or because I gave advice for a bike that isnt blingy and new enough, is because I hate Treks and think they are absolute junk (I kept that opinion to myself in my opening post you'll notice)...in any case, so what.

I took advice like this before on buying a bike (from myself actually) - buy a yourself a new bike I said, I picked one out (a 2009 G.T.) - and in the end I wasnt happy with it and bought a VRC bike, I was and still am quite happy with my VRC bike.

Just because you dont like it, or agree isnt any reason to neg rep me. But hey, thanks anyway - I'll see you after you make 100 reps to others and you can come back and neg rep me again - of course it wont matter, my rep will go up as it has continued to do so over the past several weeks, you'll still be hiding behind your keyboard trolling the boards handing out "un-signed" neg reps - have a nice day.
    He might have hit the neg rep by accident. I surf a lot over my iPhone & every time I've tried to pos rep someone I hit the neg rep. I've stopped rep'n people while on my iPhone.

REALLY?
    Fair enough, ultimatly I dont care...its all good anyway.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the Cannondale SL2 w/a lefty added to it! And I love it. I rode the trek and Felt and a few others before I pulled the trigger on it. I ride road and light trail and wanted something for both places.
    I also rode a Specialized its also a good bike..

Members who have read this thread: 0