Thread: Newb first bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Newb first bike

Hi all. Newb here. First post. I'm 35 and havnt ridden much since I turned 16. I have kids, and overweight, and have been wanting a bike for a while now to be more active in life, and family. I was pretty well set on a new motobecane 529ht for $399. But with spring around the corner in Mn, more bikes are starting to pop up on craigslist. I found one I like. Pretty much based on looks. It's a 2016 cannondale trail 4 27.5. I'm not sure how to post a link, but here are some specs.
    27spd
    Rockshox xc30
    Shimano m391 proline
    Shimono olivio shifter, and derailer
    Tektro auriga hyd disk brakes
    Alex dc4 rims
    Wtb nine line tires
    6060 aluminum frame
    30 lbs bike
    All of them specs meen jack to me in this point of my mtb life. I just think the bike looks way cooler than the motobecane. They are "asking" $500 for it. With your guys experience, which would be better. I'm 6', 250lbs. Looking to trail ride, and pull my kids around. I've been hard on things my whole life. Mechanically inclined. Thanks a bunch

Bikesexual
    I rode a Motobecane 520HT and Cannondale Trail 3 both 26".

I would take the Cdale over the Moto for sure. Much better fork, better frame. I'm super light, so you can eventually upgrade the fork, if its not working for you.

I only changed pedals and tires in the Cdale, and it was night and day.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks man. Everyone brags up the 529ht as a great bang for the buck bike. And i don't doubt it is. I just really like the looks of the cannondale. Where is this guy at on the $500 asking price? Google hasn't helped me much. Looks like it was close to a grand new at rei. I'm sure that was msrp. I'm liking the $400 price range. Thanks again

Bikesexual
    You can try bicycle blue book. You are close though. Mine was 1200 msrp got it for 700 new as a prior year model. It had better brakes, and a couple of bits from the 4.

I think $400 is a reasonable offer.

Btw sold mine for $600 a year later, when I took this a bit more serious, so resold well.

Give it a really good check though, if decide to check it out.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    It looks nice in add. It says it has new rear tire, gearing, and chain. Are gearing and chain wear items on a two year old bike? Does this tell you experienced guys anything.

Bikesexual
    I'm not that super experienced dude, but that's based on use and care of the drive train.

A link will help.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Cycologist
    It means it was ridden a lot. But since he replaced the drivetrain, hopefully that means he took care of it. He should have replaced the chain, cassette and chainrings as they wear together, though chains often are changed more often. If you check it out, just be sure it shifts properly. The main thing I would be concerned about is the condition of the fork. Looks like it has a straight steerer rather than a tapered fork so replacement would be more challenging. But if it is in good shape, might be a good starter bike.

Bicycle Blue Book isn't considered to be very accurate by a lot of people. It's better to check sold listings on ebay. I did; didn't find many but there were a few that look to be new floor models, asking around $800 but being sold for "Best offer accepted" so hard to know what they went for. Unless there are multiple interested parties, CL listers usually will accept less than their asking price. You can actually ask "what's the lowest you'll take for it?" and see what he says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Make America Bike Again
    That seems way too overpriced for a used bike on Craigslist. $500 used on a crappy site like Craigslist should buy something that was $1500-2000 new. This bike supposedly was $900 new.

From bicycle blue book:

Excellent 
    $352 - $363

Very Good 
    $336 - $346

Good 
    $306 - $315

Fair 
    $220 - $227

MSRP New
    $900

Right now the Giant Talon 3 can be found for just under $500 and it has more or less the same components. And it's brand new, and not off Craigslist, yuck...
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I came to the conclusion from reading different forums, is that if someone has a budget, someone is going to be like,"well if you could spend a little more you could get this, this this, and that." I don't know what this, and that is, or why.it's even better. So I went even cheaper, and ordered a motobecane 429ht. $300.shipped to my door. 29er. Disk brakes. All parts are replaceable, if and when my personal preference tells me to replace them. It's about the cheapest bike I can get, that is better than a big box store bike, with decent components. Now I just need to.get it, and ride it. Thanks

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by swovay696 View Post
    I came to the conclusion from reading different forums, is that if someone has a budget, someone is going to be like,"well if you could spend a little more you could get this, this this, and that." I don't know what this, and that is, or why.it's even better. So I went even cheaper, and ordered a motobecane 429ht. $300.shipped to my door. 29er. Disk brakes. All parts are replaceable, if and when my personal preference tells me to replace them. It's about the cheapest bike I can get, that is better than a big box store bike, with decent components. Now I just need to.get it, and ride it. Thanks
    Hey man, is your budget and you will be fine with that bike, that's exactly how I started, since you put two options, I thought the C'dale would be better, but again new its always better IMO.

I think when people want you to up your budget, is because at the end; IF you stick to the sport, you spend more money upgrading to the next bike, which is what I did as well.

Enjoy it! ride the crap out of it which color did you go with?

This was my first love:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newb first bike-dirtybike.jpg  

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    They had black or silver. I went with black. I figured why spend more money now, just because it may be better in general for a lot of people. But maybe not for me. Kinda like dating. Skinny ones, fat ones. Tall ones short ones. Mean ones nice ones. There all gona be fun to ride. In the end it's personal preference. Thanks