New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread - Page 50- Mtbr.com
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
Results 9,801 to 9,987 of 9987
    mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm New Here

Been browsing a long time and decided it's time to join. I'm into Vintage and getting more serious. I will head to the Vintage forums soon as time allows (I have to do laundry in between adjusting my front derailleur ) but I just want to mention that I have a 1996 Kona Sex One, sans rear shock. Herein lies the problem. If anyone cares to discuss that would be great. Either way glad to be here and I'm hoping I can be an asset to the community.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Hi!

Hello, i'm a new guy here

1.) Where you are from? (Coaticook Qc Canada)

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (29er rider, and i would say i am mostly riding on local regional bicycle path)

3.) How many bikes you own?
    - 2 Bikes, i still got my old Mongoose Hilltopper Sx from 1993 a 26 " (My wife now ride it) , and bought in last October a Trek Marlin 6 29" i LOVE it.

4.) How long have you been riding? well since a long long time!

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (Here, no other one yet)

A little more about me... I'm 47 Yo, i try to ride at least 30-60 miles a week, But I am planning to convert my Trek Marlin 6 to a mid drive motor assist to help me go those extra miles to discover new place i wouldn't be able to get to. I will have some questions , i will need help.... tips, etc...

We have awesome MTB trails available less then 50 miles around (East-Hereford, Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook, Bromont, and many more)
    I would love to go there, but alone is boring ...

Talk to you soon!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by XxTripodxX View Post
    Hello, i'm a new guy here

1.) Where you are from? (Coaticook Qc Canada)

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (29er rider, and i would say i am mostly riding on local regional bicycle path)

- 2 Bikes, i still got my old Mongoose Hilltopper Sx from 1993 a 26 " (My wife now ride it) , and bought in last October a Trek Marlin 6 29" i LOVE it.

4.) How long have you been riding? well since a long long time!

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (Here, no other one yet)

A little more about me... I'm 47 Yo, i try to ride at least 30-60 miles a week, But I am planning to convert my Trek Marlin 6 to a mid drive motor assist to help me go those extra miles to discover new place i wouldn't be able to get to. I will have some questions , i will need help.... tips, etc...

We have awesome MTB trails available less then 50 miles around (East-Hereford, Parc de la Gorge de Coaticook, Bromont, and many more)
    I would love to go there, but alone is boring ...

Talk to you soon!
    Welcome to it!! Fellow 29 rider...29+ in fact!!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    Welcome to it!! Fellow 29 rider...29+ in fact!!
    Thank you!!

Yeah, i wasn't sure 29 or 29+ :P

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hey whatís up guys! Just found the site and Iím blown away with all the information, thanks for all the work. I live in Schaumburg IL and have a 2006/2005 giant Yukon trail ďHence the horrible name ď I purchased new and have Beat on ever since I ride the local forest preserves and venture off on any trails I can when I can. I recently started looking to fix some things up on my ole beater and thankfully came across this site and all itís knowledge. Iím not afraid to get my hands dirty and built/played with cars and motorcycles since I was a kid .... looking forward to good times thanks for having me

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Hey everyone. New to the group. Iíve been on MTBR a lot but finally joined.

kevin

Fart smeller
    Hi.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 08-02-2020 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Sump Trucks
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Hello

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hello from Oceanside,Ca. Riding a new 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by GLoGreen View Post
    Hello from Oceanside,Ca. Riding a new 27.5+
    Welcome! What ya riding?

mtbr member

Let myself introduce...myself

Hi MTBR community,

Greetings from Midland, Michigan! (about 2 hrs North of Detroit). I've been a roadie since 2012 and am now just getting into MTB. My buddy has been trying to convince me for years to get into it and has even offered to help me build up a Proflex 957 that he got in the 90's.

I've finally taken him up on that offer, so will be embarking on that fun project in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I figured I'd say "hi" and I look forward to learning the lingo, tech and skills that it takes to enjoy MTB in its various forms.

While I consider myself quite knowledgeable about road bikes, tech and some racing, I'm a noob at all things MTB, so apologies in advance if I am not fluent or need some explanation.

Have a great week and enjoy the ride!

Bryan
    bjblackmamba

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I'm from the area also and only MTB. FYI the local mountain bike association is CMMBA and they have a group ride every Tuesday in the summer starting behind Ray's City Forest and hitting the trail at 5:30pm. Otherwise glad you have finally come around from the dark side and taken up trail riding

Quote Originally Posted by bjblackmamba View Post
    Hi MTBR community,

Greetings from Midland, Michigan! (about 2 hrs North of Detroit). I've been a roadie since 2012 and am now just getting into MTB. My buddy has been trying to convince me for years to get into it and has even offered to help me build up a Proflex 957 that he got in the 90's.

I've finally taken him up on that offer, so will be embarking on that fun project in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I figured I'd say "hi" and I look forward to learning the lingo, tech and skills that it takes to enjoy MTB in its various forms.

While I consider myself quite knowledgeable about road bikes, tech and some racing, I'm a noob at all things MTB, so apologies in advance if I am not fluent or need some explanation.

Have a great week and enjoy the ride!

Bryan
    bjblackmamba

mtbr member
    Thanks for the welcome and the info! What entrance do you se at City Forest? I live really close to it (off Commerce Dr). I'll definitely check it out once I have my rig set up, but it may be a couple of weeks. I will admit, it does feel a bit like going to the dark side, as you said. Almost feel like I'm betraying my road bike! The name is "Bryan" by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtechy View Post
    I'm from the area also and only MTB. FYI the local mountain bike association is CMMBA and they have a group ride every Tuesday in the summer starting behind Ray's City Forest and hitting the trail at 5:30pm. Otherwise glad you have finally come around from the dark side and taken up trail riding

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    We ride across the street and start at the Eastman lot/entrance. My name is Steve, hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Hi, I'm new around here

What happens ??? Another one around here from Spain. very nice city for hiking.

My pasion

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hello everybody here! Finally I can talk to you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Ohio Check In

Hey all. SW Ohio checking in. Been lurking for a while. Riding mtb since 2016. Mostly around Momba and Troy MBA. Excursions into Michigan and NC. Good to be here. On a 27.5 hardtail but looking at big kid bikes currently. Cheers.

Brandon

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by BKnisley View Post
    Hey all. SW Ohio checking in. Been lurking for a while. Riding mtb since 2016. Mostly around Momba and Troy MBA. Excursions into Michigan and NC. Good to be here. On a 27.5 hardtail but looking at big kid bikes currently. Cheers.

Brandon
    Central Ohio shout out!!

and go RedLegs!!!

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

New member from Colorado

Took the plunge to join. Been lurking for awhile. Live on the Front Range in Colorado. Started mountain biking in 2013 when I bought a Trek Marlin. Still riding the same bike. Fully upgraded ( I know waste of money) forks,brakes,bars, stem, headset, saddle, post, drive set. Must have an emotional attachment to it. Have had and still have a lot of fun riding the easy trails near me.

Rails & Trails

Good job! Prince of Procrastination

Hello, Been receiving so much good advice and information on this site for so many years that I finally had to join, if only so I could DM certain people to thank them.
    Back in '96, my golf clubs were stolen. I replaced them with a mountain bike on the theory that if you are going to spend that much time in the woods, you should have a legit excuse. LBS talked me into a Bontrager Privateer and I guess I drank the Kool-Aid because I still have it, and still want it. Mine has a few ridiculous upgrades -- S&S couplings, anyone? -- but it still looks and rides like the original.
    I split my time between Boston, MA and Vancouver, BC. My other passion is railroads, so I gravitate toward riding rail-trails because they are a two-fer for me. And I'm a hockey goalie (yes, nuts). Also, um, beer.
    Thanks!

Rails & Trails

Rollins Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Rwainwright View Post
    Took the plunge to join. Been lurking for awhile. Live on the Front Range in Colorado. Started mountain biking in 2013 when I bought a Trek Marlin. Still riding the same bike. Fully upgraded ( I know waste of money) forks,brakes,bars, stem, headset, saddle, post, drive set. Must have an emotional attachment to it. Have had and still have a lot of fun riding the easy trails near me.
    Hello - highly (pun) recommend the ride up and over Rollins Pass in your back yard. Start from Winter Park and finish at East Portal, but watch out for afternoon thunderstorms!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-colo-05-rollins-pass.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hello awesome bunch .
    I don't recall introducing myself and if I did , then this is a reintroduction since I upgraded my ride couple years ago.

I'm from Oklahoma City and consider myself to be a beginner/weekend warrior on a 29er because I had to take some time off and now got back to riding more.
    I own another bike which is a roadie and used as my commuter and have been riding for 7 years.
    I also spent time on the RAM , Toyota, Triumph Motorcycles, Android and Yamaha drums forums .

Glad to be back

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Marchaud View Post
    Hello, Been receiving so much good advice and information on this site for so many years that I finally had to join, if only so I could DM certain people to thank them.
    Back in '96, my golf clubs were stolen. I replaced them with a mountain bike on the theory that if you are going to spend that much time in the woods, you should have a legit excuse. LBS talked me into a Bontrager Privateer and I guess I drank the Kool-Aid because I still have it, and still want it. Mine has a few ridiculous upgrades -- S&S couplings, anyone? -- but it still looks and rides like the original.
    I split my time between Boston, MA and Vancouver, BC. My other passion is railroads, so I gravitate toward riding rail-trails because they are a two-fer for me. And I'm a hockey goalie (yes, nuts). Also, um, beer.
    Thanks!
    Welcome to it from another hockey/railroad fan as well!! Played goal growing up, but switched to wing in college when there were waayyy more guy who were better in net.

And have done model RR since a kid in the 70's. Just recently inherited all of my grandfathers Lionel and HO train stuff from the 20-50's.

Would love to see pics of the old bike!! Don't forget to post in this thread as well:

https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passi...988566-50.html

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by jdrums View Post
    Hello awesome bunch .
    I don't recall introducing myself and if I did , then this is a reintroduction since I upgraded my ride couple years ago.

I'm from Oklahoma City and consider myself to be a beginner/weekend warrior on a 29er because I had to take some time off and now got back to riding more.
    I own another bike which is a roadie and used as my commuter and have been riding for 7 years.
    I also spent time on the RAM , Toyota, Triumph Motorcycles, Android and Yamaha drums forums .

Glad to be back

Welcome to it from another drummer!!

Have been playing since 76, and am a Percussion Instructor/band director for a living. Also play in 4 bands ranging from crossover thrash metal to rockabilly in styles. I am a Pearl/Zildjian guy, but definitely appreciate Yamaha stuff, and especially their involvement in education!!

Don't forget to post pics in this thread:

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Welcome to it from another drummer!!

Have been playing since 76, and am a Percussion Instructor/band director for a living. Also play in 4 bands ranging from crossover thrash metal to rockabilly in styles. I am a Pearl/Zildjian guy, but definitely appreciate Yamaha stuff, and especially their involvement in education!!

Don't forget to post pics in this thread:
    That's awesome man. Totally great. Will do

Rails & Trails

Prince of Procrastination - pics

Hello,
    As suggested, pics of my ride, '96 Bontrager Privateer S -- in box and out of box. (Wheels go in 2nd box) Have bike, will travel!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-tb03-day-1-001.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-2020.08.16-wm-bike-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey All, my name is Todd. I live in the San Diego area. Been riding regularly for about 8 years since I purchased my first FS bike, a Banshee Spitfire. I usually ride easy-ish XC/trail here in SD. Entered two local races for fun a few years ago. I'm not really a racer but I thought with a new bike (at the time) to dive right in. I'm 55, in good shape, and love to bike for exercise and challenge of learning how to ride better. Just came back from biking with a friend in Telluride and realized its time for a new bike. I've used this forum many times for info. Great resource. Now I have questions about new bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi, from tuscany, Italy

My first post, not my first visit, so thanks for the previous insights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hello from Atlanta!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

hello from WA state

1.) Where you are from? Western WA state

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? beginner, coming back after 30 years away from MTB (but in between, some road biking & around town--hate riding near cars). I am loving riding trails at the bike park, stuck on green right now though, which is plenty.

3.) How many bikes you own? 2: ~1990 Bridgestone RB-2; ~1990's BRC Switchback.

4.) How long have you been riding? This time around, MTB? Since July 2020.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? Beginners here, mostly, hoping to learn how bikes have changed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

long time lurker, first time poster

1.) Where you are from? Central WA state

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Intermediate. Used to race XC in high school in NorCal. Rode/commuted in SF Bay area streets. Took a haitus for a bit, and am getting back into XC.
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3+ Trek XC race rig, Gravity Singlespeed fat bike, Volume 26in BMX, Bianchi Volpe frameset

4.) How long have you been riding? A while (with a break)

5.) What forums do you frequent most? Trying to catch up to industry move to 27.5in

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

New to forum

1.) Where you are from? western Pa (40 min east of pittsburgh)

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Novice mountain biker, used to race box as a kid. Dabbled in mountain biking on rigid frame 26 inch but never got too into it. Now getting into it at age 45. I have a Marin Rift Zone one, upgraded with dropper post. I have ordered and am waiting for a Commencal Meta AM HT 29.

3.) How many bikes you own? 2 soon to be 3.

4.) How long have you been riding? Serious mountain biking for the last 3 months since I got my Marin. Rode BMX from age 12-16 (flatland and racing). Mountain biking on rigid 26 inch (trek 930) maybe 2-3 Trail rides per year in the late 90s early 2000s until it got stolen. lots of commuting. Have a Gary Fisher hybrid for Road/gravel that I bought in 2009 but donít use it much.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is my first MTB forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

New to the crew

Hey all, happy to be here, I hope I can positively contribute to the forum.

Out spokin'
    Welcome! Do you have a beard?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seacoaster View Post
    I hope I can positively contribute to the forum.
    You might be missing the entire point of this place.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    And why canít I pos rep in this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Noob here

Hey everyone, new rider here. Decided to get back on a bike because my kids wanted to start riding around the neighborhood. My mother in law was kind enough to give me her Gary Fisher Marlin, which has been fun to ride around on. But now Iím looking into upgrades to make it more of my bike and less of Gary Fisherís and for restoration purposes because it was in the in-laws garage for a long time.

Iím a Jeep driver, owner, and tinkerer naturally so having another thing that I can tinker with makes me feel good.

PS - Iíve read a lot about how the forks on this bike (Manitou Six) suck - looking for recommendations!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

intro

just a little hello to everyone here.

have been trying to do more MTB-ing after getting back to cycling (via road cycling) a few years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

New/old account

Hey, my account was unused for a couple of years, I couldn't log in or forgot the password, and resending the old password I got a link that does nothing. Using Chrome Android. I ended up making a new account.

Old account is fieldlab4 (somewhere around) gmail. Help.

Anyway, old timer currently building up some wheels for or an old aluminum Schwinn DBX which was basically a tough road bike with disc brakes, and you know the frame is just better in my opinion than all the CF stuff, and feels more appropriate, but I'm having a hell of a time finding excellent 130 mm QR disk hubs. And being old, I've seen enough crappy parts and way overpriced bad boutique designs to know the differences and be picky about it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

New User

Hi everyone, I am new here posting but have been consulting this forum for several years, it has been a trusted source of knowledge, thank you for that. Just wanted to say hi

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Fieldlab View Post
    Hey, my account was unused for a couple of years, I couldn't log in or forgot the password, and resending the old password I got a link that does nothing. Using Chrome Android. I ended up making a new account.

Old account is fieldlab4 (somewhere around) gmail. Help.

Anyway, old timer currently building up some wheels for or an old aluminum Schwinn DBX which was basically a tough road bike with disc brakes, and you know the frame is just better in my opinion than all the CF stuff, and feels more appropriate, but I'm having a hell of a time finding excellent 130 mm QR disk hubs. And being old, I've seen enough crappy parts and way overpriced bad boutique designs to know the differences and be picky about it.
    A place to look for hubs, wheelbuilderdotcom. Recommend Hope hubs since they are likely still minting 130mm. Onyx does have many options but that is freakin expensive although, silent, zero lash engagement is irreplaceable.

Welcome back! Reach out to the mods, they might be able to get you back into your original account.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Thanks! Yeah, I've been been scouring through all the hubs out there. Lot of options. I have an old Hayes Hugi star ratchet hub that is beautifully made, so I like the idea of DT, and it's likely that using the right endcaps I can get one at least down to 135mm QR, but damned if it doesn't appear they have managed to critically screw up their new EXP hubs. Also, bike companies are so overwhelmed due to Covid I'm getting no response to questions. Well that's good for them. In the end the old heavy LX hub with steel freehub and outboard bearing is looking better all the time, but I also really want to try straight pull.

I like that hope offers a Ti freehub to prevent gouging. Odd few others do. Only Sram or the few bite guard versions offer a solution.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Hello! Here for my kids, mostly.

I'm on a 2018 Giant Trance 2 and my 8yo son is on a Spawn Yama Jama 20", ready to size up to a 24" We have stepped up our MTB riding heavily this summer. Lots of single track here in Ontario and even entered our first DH race. Ready to start getting more PPE!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Greetings from a new rider

1.) Where you are from? Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Trail and All mountain.

3.) How many bikes you own? 1 only. GT Avalanche Sport 2019 model.
    I updated brakes(front and rear) Shimano BR-M6000 with RT56 rotors.
    Also updated Cranksets with Sram dub bottom bracket and NX eagle 1x crank arms with Race Face Ride pedals.

4.) How long have you been riding? Started from July this year due to my health issue.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? 29r

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_8146.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_8114.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

SoaringBear Checking In

1.) I am from St. Louis area, Missouri
    2.) I am a trail rider
    3.) I have three bikes. A gravel bike, a MTB and a vintage steel road bike
    4.) I have not ridden mountain in a long time. Yes, new bike!
    5.) I like gravelcyclist.com, trainerroad.com and this site. I will figure out which forums I like.

I used to run ultramarathons on the trail. gravel grinding has the endurance and adventure. And, I am stoked to be riding a MTB again!

Looking to find a group for gravel riding in St. Louis and hope to meet up with some MTB-ers as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hello, I started a new thread to say hello before I saw this new user intro thread (sorry) So, Copy Paste from my other post.

Hello riders,

My name is Tim and I ride a Surly..... awkward silence.

I started riding in the early 2000's but took a break for several years. about 2 years ago I dusted off the old rocker hopper and started riding again. I quickly discovered my bike was a bit dated and not performing well on the trails I have since custom built a Surly Krampus running on 27.5x2.6 with a 120mm Rockshox upfront. I am absolutely Loving riding this bike on the trails.

Thanks,
    Tim.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_rides View Post
    Hello, I started a new thread to say hello before I saw this new user intro thread (sorry) So, Copy Paste from my other post.

Hello riders,

I started riding in the early 2000's but took a break for several years. about 2 years ago I dusted off the old rocker hopper and started riding again. I quickly discovered my bike was a bit dated and not performing well on the trails I have since custom built a Surly Krampus running on 27.5x2.6 with a 120mm Rockshox upfront. I am absolutely Loving riding this bike on the trails.

Thanks,
    Tim.
    Krampi as a rule are very playful, fun rides. My buddy has the original gen 1 still going and he freerides the freakin thing regularly... Moonlit Swamp was one of the best colors Surly ever offered, by the way.

Welcome back to riding and the forum!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member

Hello riders,

Thanks,
    Tim.
    I'm not sure whether the awkward silence should be from your Surly confession or that your name is Tim, but I'm going to guess Surly. I suspect that your older bike is simply pouting about having been neglected, but there's nothing better than a new girlfriend, er, I mean bike. Since you chose Surly for your new ride, I think you know what you want. Btw, there ought not to be awkward silences when bicyclists talk about their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Tim - welcome, great bike, and we need pics!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Well, I'm new here

Hello Everyone,

New here of course... I've been riding for years, currently getting around on a Nukeproof Mega 275 and a Jamis Dakar. About to start building a Nukeproof Scout custom build.

2 things got me here; 1. COVID - my bike shop that I used to have my bike tuned and worked on is booked out 2 months for service so I began doing everything myself. 2. My 9 year old daughter has gotten really into biking and started to race. Fixing and tuning her bike is a must with my shop so booked out. I actually really enjoy working on the bikes and it allows my daughter and I to spend a little extra time together when we're not riding.

I've been lurking for over a year, finally decided to register and make my first post.

mtbr member

Hey there This Olds man found you Doing research on my KONA

HEY THERE

Thanks for the site!

I have been thinking about doing something with my Fire Mountain
    It has been sitting around getting dusty for many years. It has always lived in the house... Since early 1990's I purchased NEW 1 owner. Critter still has original tires LOL

Kind of in a use it or lose it frame of mind

Have a safe and happy Labor Day Week END
    CHEERS
    brian

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hello

Off grid man
    Sep 2020

Hi from the Mediterranean

Hello all
    Brand-newbie here, but have been stealing ideas and information for a few months, so thought it was about time to add some input....

Off-grid family returning to cycling as kids grow up, my interest in bikes is growing once more after a decade of hiatus.

I am currently collecting a few older CroMo mtb;
    Peugeot Origin 30, GT Outpost, Diamond Back Ascent EX, and just picked up a Ritchey Nitanium framed bike with LX/STX/SRAM components.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Greetings - off road in Chicagoland

A few years ago I sold my mountain bike that I bought in college and purchased a Cannondale Quick Cx to use as my everyday bike. I ride it around town and on the local bike trail. I missed going off road though, so this week I picked up a used FatBoy. It's my first bike with giant tires and hydraulic brakes, so I have some learning to do. Ditto for developing my dirt skills. I'll be nosing around this forum and on YouTube to pick up some knowledge. Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-fatboy.jpg  

Last edited by balt; 09-07-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Snow Dog

Hello riders,

Thanks,
    Tim.
    that is actually stunned silence as people revel in your bike choice!!!

I get the same thing on my OG Krampus...

LET IT SNOW!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by balt View Post
    A few years ago I sold my mountain bike that I bought in college and purchased a Cannondale Quick Cx to use as my everyday bike. I ride it around town and on the local bike trail. I missed going off road though, so this week I picked up a used FatBoy. It's my first bike with giant tires and hydraulic brakes, so I have some learning to do. Ditto for developing my dirt skills. I'll be nosing around this forum and on YouTube to pick up some knowledge. Cheers!
    that might be the only bike you will ever need!!! Definitely ready for winter as well

LET IT SNOW!

Rippin da fAt
    that might be the only bike you will ever need!!! Definitely ready for winter as well
    We do keep trying to sneak the OGK out for a quick spin when you're not looking... But you're always looking, DOH!
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    We do keep trying to sneak the OGK out for a quick spin when you're not looking... But you're always looking, DOH!
    I can smell 'em from miles away!!!

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

just getting back in to MTB first post

Hello everyone, I found this little guy sitting by a dumpster. I'm having trouble determining the age of the frame. I can tell that it is a bit of a Frankenstein any help would be appreciated i plan on restoring it to riding condition so i can use it. it barely weighs anything.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20200907_221632.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20200907_221809.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20200908_114941.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd guess early 90's , you should post in either the vintage or GT forum's.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    I'd guess early 90's , you should post in either the vintage or GT forum's.

Sent from my LM-X220 using Tapatalk

Thank you Will do

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hi Everyone,

1.) 50 Year Old Science Teacher in Fairfield CT. I have lived in Fairfield County my whole life.

2.) I'm a trail rider who has been riding since college but not consistently.
    3.) One Specialized Rockhopper 26" mostly stock circa 2000.
    4.) I've been Riding for 30 years or so.
    5.) This is the only forum I've joined, and I'm interested in learning about riding skills and strategy, bike selection, and maintenance/repair/upgrades.

I made a post in the general forum asking some questions about upgrades and repair.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

The most amazing first post ever

Just kidding. This is probably really boring.

Hi, I'm Justin. I've been jogging on a hike and bike trail network for quite a while and always saw guys on mtbs having a blast. So I got an old 1996 GT avalanche off craigslist for $250 and started beating myself up on the super rocky, rooty trails in my part of Austin (South Austin Trail Network.) Been at it for about 3 months and I've never had more fun in my life. Straight up addicted. I'm even going at night as much as possible to avoid others on the trail and sometimes it's the only time I can go because of work, young kids, etc.

My buddy lent me a Devinci Troy full suspension to try, saying I was nuts to ride there on a hardtail, but the rear shock was completely blown so I just dropped it off at the local shop near me. They say it will be $180 service and will take 2-3 weeks. Does that sound right? I think its a monarch rt3.

Anyway, last night I scored a 2012 Kona Honzo steel frame 29er with some seemingly decent upgrades. Got it for a good price and just rode it for the first time. Most fun I've ever had on a bike. It's been pouring rain here for 3 days but I'll at least ride around town and hit some gravel while I wait of the trails to dry up.

Anyway, first post in the books! Do people actually read these? If you made it this far, you're a champ.

Cheers,
    Justin

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Almost 60 and grouchy

I joined this forum for exactly one purpose, and that is to point out that there are some big-time A-H0LE$ here!

I search the net for clarification about running tubes in tubeless tires and I end up reading comment after comment ripping a guy because he's having continuing trouble with his setup and worse, his spell-check lets him down.

https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/wi...g-1140115.html

Don't get me wrong, I'm a stickler for "mean what you say, and say what you mean", I grew up in a house that included my grandmother, an english teacher, my mother a librarian, and my father a PhD professor. I know the english language. But you people don't have to jump on a guy that misspells a word here and there as if you haven't had a hug in a year. Look in a mirror one time.

It seems to me a good forum consists of people who are ready to help and be helped non-judgmentally. They maintain a first-person voice, purposefully avoiding personal comments.

Why?

Because they have no clue whatsoever, of who or what is behind the keyboard of another forum participant; their shortcomings or gifts, their blessings or circumstances. It has people who treat others as they would like to be treated, and not bully and condescend because it's easier to strike at others' faults than consider their own.

I'm happy lurking- God forbid I post anything here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Salutations

Hi, Ben here and I just wanted to check-in as I get more into MTB with my kids...

1.) Where you are from? Peterborough NH, slowly exploring the riding around in the state, Drummer, Bear Brook, Highlands, North Conway...

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I'd say I'm an advanced beginner. I can get myself down the Cats Paw and Lower Happy Hour at Highlands, getting a small bit of air here and there.

3.) How many bikes you own? 2, a Cannondale Quick 4 for the road/gravel and an old Cannondale F5 hardtail.

4.) How long have you been riding? Only the last couple of years with any consistency.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? I don't really. I comment on backpacking.com, recently signed up for TrailForks/PinkBike etc...

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) Puerto Rico
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) - Beginner all mtn.Trails
    3.) How many bikes you own? - 2
    4.) How long have you been riding? - Since Jan
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) - Bike related, this one. None bike related, a hole lot

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

New member intro

Hi all, new member from Ann Arbor Michigan, USA

My exercise during Covid has been singletrack riding with my sons. My last three bikes have been Giant hardtails. Prior I had a 1998ish Schwinn Moab with the Homegrown frame. Long time reader First time poster.

Snow Dog
    hello from an Ohioan who is NOT a Buckeye!! (I an actually a Notre Dame fan...). My wife is from Downriver - Trenton!

What are some good trails in that area for when we visit her mom? I always have my bike on the back of the car

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hello. I am not aware of any in the downriver area other than paved paths in the metroparks. It is very flat there. If you go west or north an hour you can find some nice flow trails.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Welcome!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hi Everyone,

1) I'm from Fairfield CT.
    2) I'm a 50 year old reasonably fit trail rider who has been riding for many years but not consistently, so I don't have a really high experience level.
    3) I only own one bike, a 20 year old Rockhopper. Of course in my family of 4 there are a total of 5 bikes.
    4) I've been riding on and off for 30 years.
    5) This is the only bike forum I'm on, but I consult forums for whatever I'm up to at the time.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by firecat View Post
    Hello. I am not aware of any in the downriver area other than paved paths in the metroparks. It is very flat there. If you go west or north an hour you can find some nice flow trails.
    crap..."that area" meant Ann Arbor or the outlying areas.

We always ride the paved trails around Trenton. My wife won't ride dirt....yet, but she doesn't mind if I go by self when we are on trips

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    SE mi ftw!

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Hello everybody,
    I am David ,50 years old. i am in Jakarta, Indonesia.
    I consider myself as a trail rider (i love being in the woods)
    I have 4 mtb, an Intense Uzzi SL 26er, a Salsa spearfish 29er, and 2 Foes , a hard tail 26er and a shaver 29er.
    i have been riding since my collage years..
    These is the only forum i join
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-intense-uzzi-sl.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hi there Thanks for hosting me

Hello members, I'd like to introduce myself. I live in San Francisco Bay Area and over the last 10 years I didn't ride at all. I am now back because I just bought a new bike to my 12 years old boy as he outgrown his baby bike. By the way in these crazy times, I think it would have been easier to buy a luxury sport car than a decent bike. We could not find the bike he likes so we then went on a Giant Escape 3 in a small size. He likes riding and today we rode for more than 15 miles. I see some potentiality in him

That's all for now, best

mtbr member
    Aug 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hey, guys!

I'm from Perth Western Australia.

I'm new to mtb and just got my first propper bike. I've been commuting on a DIY ebike for a while but wanted to get into trail riding as a way to spend time with my kids on the weekends. I have a few mates who have bikes too so would be good to hang out with them and go for rides too.

Here's my beast, super stoked with it. It's a custom Marino steel frame.

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_20200921_164926_compress31.jpg

mtbr member
    Enjoy and stay safe out there...
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by pushie View Post
    Hey, guys!

I'm from Perth Western Australia.

I'm new to mtb and just got my first propper bike. I've been commuting on a DIY ebike for a while but wanted to get into trail riding as a way to spend time with my kids on the weekends. I have a few mates who have bikes too so would be good to hang out with them and go for rides too.

Here's my beast, super stoked with it. It's a custom Marino steel frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200921_164926_compress31.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	404.6 KB 
ID:	1365421
    That bike is awesome! Welcome to the forum.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard, dippieffe! Now by hosting, I assume you mean that you'll be staying at my house and I'm expected to put you up and feed you? Sounds wonderful but the house is currently a mess. And we've got barely anything for dinner so I hope that filet mignon with asparagus with potatoes au gratin would be ok for you. Oh, and my wife is on a thing lately where she just walks around the house naked all day doing yoga tricks, so I hope you don't mind that.

mtbr member
    Hello Mr Scott. Does she wear those little cutoff socks that expose her toes? If so, I will have to respectfully decline.

-Dipper out!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Hello Mr Scott. Does she wear those little cutoff socks that expose her toes? If so, I will have to respectfully decline.

-Dipper out!
    Dipper, absolutely not! I wear the cutoff socks. Just text me when you're on the way.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Welcome aboard, dippieffe! Now by hosting, I assume you mean that you'll be staying at my house and I'm expected to put you up and feed you? Sounds wonderful but the house is currently a mess. And we've got barely anything for dinner so I hope that filet mignon with asparagus with potatoes au gratin would be ok for you. Oh, and my wife is on a thing lately where she just walks around the house naked all day doing yoga tricks, so I hope you don't mind that.
    Don't worry Scott, I understand it. I am a simple guy and I am not picky at all, I can adapt to the situation you have described. Just give me your address and I'll be there. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dippieffe View Post
    Don't worry Scott, I understand it. I am a simple guy and I am not picky at all, I can adapt to the situation you have described. Just give me your address and I'll be there. Thanks.
    Niiiiicce! Keep it on the dl. Here you go: 1060 W Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613

mtbr member
    Niiiiicce! Keep it on the dl. Here you go: 1060 W Addison St, Chicago, IL 60613

Mezcal, cocaine, and assortment of flavored lubricants are packed and on my way!

:facelick:

-Dipper Out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hope I guys, Luis from the Azores Islands here...

I mates, iīm Luis from the Azores islands, portugal.
    41 years old and a big Downhill/Freeride/Enduro fan.
    Had a LBS from 2000 to 2007 where i was also mechanic, and also been mechanic in our local Mondraker dealer until 2012.
    From then on i just help them with some suspension stuff sometimes.
    Had a lot of bikes and big mix of them, from Downhill to XC ones.
    Always been a big GT Bicycles fan!
    My current bikes are a 05 GT dhi with some newer components (2012/2013 stuff on her, newer lol) and a 2013 Merida One-Sixty.
    Hope to learn and have som fun here with you guys!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-ssddfg.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-xxxc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Smile Hi there. New old rider picking up mtb.

Hi everyone,

I live in Michigan Detroit area. New to this forum. I was a mtb and trial bike newbie when I was back in high school, 15 years ago. Haven't been riding for about 10 years. Now finally got chance to pick it up again. Don't have nice bike yet. Bought a used Mongoose Montana hardtail for cheap and trying to flip it now. Will go from there.

Darryl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_1842.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hello

I'm a newbie here in this forum , and hope to support and help to build this forum in my own way...Fletcher williams is my name,

Dirt fan
    Sep 2020
    Hello

New guy checking in, from Denmark.

I love retro MTB, but only found my true passion; retro dirt riding, a few years back.
    And now own 7 bikes and misc parts.

I love mixínímatching and drive the heck out of my old stuff.

35, married and two kids, girl age 9 and boy age 5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    welcome on board.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hi guys,

I just registered now, but Iím reader of this forum for a while...

I live in France , and for the moment biking is still possible here-without
    mask 😂 , fortunately- but the naughty COVID is prowling around, threat to be confined again grows from day to day, unfortunately.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Back into MTB after 15 years

Hey all, I climbed back on the bike this summer after hanging it up 15 years ago. I didn't plan it to be that long but I got married, bought a fixer-upper, had kids, a career.... I guess life got in the way.

I'm very surprised at what the MTB world is like now compared to back in the early 2000s. Seems the trails and the bikes have evolved since what I once knew. I felt a little silly riding my old Schwinn hardtail that had 560mm handlebars complete with climbing bars and a 5" stem...

Anyway, hello and I look forward to re-learning how to ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

I am new here

Hi, guys. How are you? I am Albert from the USA. I am very happy to join these forums.

mtbr member

jcd's best friend
    Welcome. Have fun out there!
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Picard is your go-to guy for all things MTBR.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    yeah, he gives the guided tours...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yep. I can't remember the last time he graciously helped me out with my bike questions.

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard the good ship MTBR, Albert! What are the trails like in the USA?

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertJohnsmith View Post
    Hi, guys. How are you? I am Albert from the USA. I am very happy to join these forums.
    Any chance youíre an uncle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hello from the UK...

Hello all! Recently decided to get back into MTB'ing after a 10 year gap. Got my first MTB back in 1993, when I was just 15 years old, which was a Raleigh Apex with a Girvin FlexStem! Hopefully there's a few people old enough to remember those other than just me! Worth a google if you've never heard of them, they were fairly useless! I actually still have that bike, although it lives with my Mum at the family home.

As the title suggests, I'm from the UK. Despite my many years of being into MTB'ing, I'd still consider myself an amateur, because I tend to go through phases with my hobbies and have never persevered long enough to get good! Sadly, I only have space for one bike at my current home, which is an XC 26er made by a local brand (to the UK, I think) Boardman Bikes, the HT Pro, bought in 2009. Now looking to upgrade, which is why i've joined the forum, to get up to speed with latest tech and seeking buying advice.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

Hello from Belgium!

Hello everybody,

Google has brought me here a lot of times when looking for answers, so I already need to thank you guys a lot even though I'm new here!

I'm a 39 year old guy who dumped his bike as soon as I got my driver's license when I turned 18.
    Recently I got interested on the idea of an e-bike, and bought a used Haibike Sduro hardseven 1.0 to ride to work in February this year.
    My friends who often go mountain biking invited me to join them for a ride and I loved my time riding in the woods!
    I didn't know what I've been missing out.
    Since the Corona outbreak I started riding so much that I quickly started upgrading all the entry level parts on the bike. I also loved how it gave me something to do during the lockdown to keep me sane!
    I can honestly say, this was my best purchase this year and I think I may have a new addiction... :-D

Looking forward to talking with you guys and learning from you!

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20200929_223118.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Any chance youíre an uncle?
    Greetings Albert. Unless you're of a certain age, you might not get the Uncle Albert reference, which comes from a Beatles song. As you may have surmised by now, there's lots of wise a$$es here, and most threads get derailed at some point or other. All part of the fun. You will get lots of answers to mechanical and technical questions, much of it good. Opinions on right/wrong/good/bad are another matter. You know what they say about opinions... But if you ever need someone to trust for the straight skinny... yes, Picard.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    ban!

wait, what was the question?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hello everyone, I hope you are doing great

1.) I am from USA but I live in Colombia, I'm 35 year old

2.) I am beginner XC,

3.) My first bike was at age 16, it cost me like 40 bucks in colombia. It was an unbranded mountain bike, it was made of steel, very very heavy.

Back then, I did not even knew how to ride a bike. Every time i rode my bike and I saw a car, I always threw my self to a side of the street because was scared.

My second bike was like 7 years ago, it was a giant talon 2.

Right now, I am building, you can check my last post, I need your knowledge.

5.) This is the site I frequent the most. Great to meet you all.

These are the parts that I currently have, I am just undecided in the bb and crankset.

Parts that i have purchased:

Frame - Cliff rock elite 135 rear dropout with threaded bottom bracket and tapered head tube

shimano cs-m7100 10-51 cassette

shimano rd-M7100 Rear Derailleur

shimano XTR CN-M9100 12 Speed Chain 126 links

Shimano XT M8100 i spec ev shifter

2 x continental race king 29 x 2.2

29er double walled rims

m6100 brake set

FH-MT401-B hub or mt500 rear hub 135mm

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard the good ship MTBR, Albert! What are the trails like in the USA?
    Full of stocky e-bikers....

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    You will get lots of answers to mechanical and technical questions, much of it good.
    ...and much of it not!

Proceed with caution, my friend! Learning who you can trust for good info and who you can trust for bad takes time, patience and the cultivation of a Zen-like sixth sense. Welcome and again, proceed with caution. The waters here at MTBR can be treacherous.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

new member in New Zealand

Hi,

Just joined the forum .
    I have been cycling for longer than I can remember and have just purchased my first e-bike - An Avanti Hammer-e. Avanti is a New Zealand brand now owned by Scott.

Keen to read and post on the forum information particularly on e-MTBs

Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Hi All

New member from Perth, Western Australia here - adopted Aussie from the UK originally.
    I've been riding road bikes (slowly) for a while now, but bought a 2018 Trek X-Caliber 8 a couple of years ago with the intention of supplementing my riding, but my fitness level vs. everyone else I was riding with along with a poor fit left me out of love very quickly. Having the seat jacked up due to my poor knees made descending no fun, which was half of it.
    I recently dusted it off, had it serviced and stuck a 150mm dropper on and it's much better. Need to tweak the fit, but much happier. My roadie is an endurance-focused 2019 BMC Roadmachine RM02 Three I try to get out on at least once a week.
    Haven't been riding offroad too long overall, but hoping to get out now the weather in WA is getting better. Interested more in singletrack riding more than anything else, but will see how I get on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Smile Introduction

Hi all,

i am Mike from Germany, DŁsseldorf, 39 years old
    and just got myself a Hardtail Trek X-Caliber 9 to get into MTB
    and especially XC.

Looking forward to learn from experienced members of this forum and get tips to improve my rides as well as have a chat with other beginner and what challenges the run into.

Wish you all the best and stay healthy

Greats Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    1.) I live in Sebastopol CA
    2.) I am mostly a weekend warrior as I love to Surf as well so this also takes my time as well as my family.
    3.) I have new Ripmo V2
    4.) I have been riding a bike since I was 4 but riding mountain bikes since I was 14.
    5.) I cruise many forums from Tacoma World, 3gt, and this forum for advise and see what others are building.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Hi everybody!

Hi guys! I'm new here, and I hope to learn and share what I know in the best English I can!

Snow Dog
    welcome to it!!! There are some of us here from America who also don't have the best English, so no worries!!

Spelling doesn't count on MTBR

LET IT SNOW!

the half breed devil
    this is the first thing i thought of:

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

which once again, proves that there is a Simpsons quote for just about every situation, and that they all are relevant and funny

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    my accent would sound more like Don Vito Corleone's But the Simpsons are always a myth!

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

My accent would sound more like Don Vito Corleone's

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Hi everyone! Long time/first time. I actually can't believe I didn't have an account yet. I've relied on MTBR for info & entertainment for 20+ years.

1. I'm in the South Bay area of Los Angeles
    2. I'm an intermediate rider, I guess. I'm happy on greens trails to black trails
    3. I own three bikes but only one gets ridden (2018 Trek Stache, ~2000 Schwinn Moab, mid-90s Specialized FSR)
    4. Started riding in Northern California in the late 80s. Took about fifteen years off until about three years ago
    5. I read every post in any thread that covers whatever my current obsession is

Glad to be here and hope to start actively participating!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Italian Machinist View Post
    My accent would sound more like Don Vito Corleone's
    like this?

nah!

prove it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😜

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by JL_Mac View Post
    Hi everyone! Long time/first time. I actually can't believe I didn't have an account yet. I've relied on MTBR for info & entertainment for 20+ years.

1. I'm in the South Bay area of Los Angeles
    2. I'm an intermediate rider, I guess. I'm happy on greens trails to black trails
    3. I own three bikes but only one gets ridden (2018 Trek Stache, ~2000 Schwinn Moab, mid-90s Specialized FSR)
    4. Started riding in Northern California in the late 80s. Took about fifteen years off until about three years ago
    5. I read every post in any thread that covers whatever my current obsession is

Glad to be here and hope to start actively participating!
    Welcome on board! In theory you should have opened your own thread, but hey! Those who ride in company go further and further! 😉👍🏻

Little turtle
    1.) Where you are from?
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?
    4.) How long have you been riding?
    5.) What forums do you frequent most?

1.) I'm Aria from London, the UK
    2.) I'm not an advanced rider, but I try my best
    3.) Currently 2, but I'm thinking about buying a third one. It would be great to try something new and to buy a BMX, for example.
    4.) I started riding when I was 10, but then I had a very long break. Bought my new bike almost 2 years ago.
    5.) Mainly the General and Passion, Local sometimes
    Not all those who wander are lost.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    1.) Where you are from?

sorry I didn't see the checklist ... ok:
    I was born in Rome and live in the countryside south of Rome in the Lazio region. I consider myself an experienced rider in the XC discipline. It's seven years that I train continuously.
    At the moment this is the forum that I follow the most, it seems that the Anglo-Saxons are more generous in sharing information ... We Italians tend more to create and jeep for us our own "secrets" ....

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

I'm newbie on this foroum

Hi everyone!! I introduce myself.

I'm Pablo from Spain and I've used my old bike again. In fact, I was competing with her in cross country almost 20 years ago.

I've come to this forum because my fork leaks oil and I've seen a thread with the same problem in forks almost the same as mine.

Thanks to all for read me and Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Welcome! Head over to the 'Suspension' sub-forum for some support and advice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Hallo

I just joined these forums, mostly ended up here randomly as a result of Googling various MTB related things.

I hail from Sweden and I've been mountainbiking for about 5 years now, mostly random XC with a bit of downhill. Currently riding a Norco Range A1 which is quite a beast when I take it to the bike park but for home usage it's a bit too much so I'm looking at doing something about that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

New to MTB

Hi All,

1.) Where you are from? From California Bay Area.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner
    3.) How many bikes you own? One bike.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Riding bikes since childhood, but interest in mountain biking recently.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Don't tend to do much foruming.

I'm new here and new to mountain biking. A little out of shape, and struggle with confidence to ride alone, not knowing what to do really. Not wanting to get stranded on the trail and get stuck with a broken bike. Wanting to fix and upgrade my own bike.

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Intro

Hi all! Ryan from Cape Coral Florida.

I started biking to trail for motorcycle road course racing about 15 years ago. I have 4 bikes but spend most of my time on my 2011 Vassago Chupacabra SS rigid 29'. I do a bit of traveling to XC and some downhill in Georgia, Montana, and Colorado. I'm getting ready to start a new build and I guess that's why I'm here. A few things have changed since I did a build and I need to catch up and research a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Hello everyone,

1.) Where you are from? Sacramento, California
    3.) How many bikes you own? One
    4.) How long have you been riding? Riding bikes since childhood and started mountain biking recently.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Just this one

I'm new here and new to mountain biking with a Transition Throttle bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

New Here, First Post

1.) Where you are from? Doylestown Pa
    3.) How many bikes you own? Two
    4.) How long have you been riding? Riding bikes since childhood and started mountain biking this year with my kids.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? first biking forum I have visited.

Hey there all in mountain biking forum land. Pretty excited to be here and looking forward to learning and sharing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    1.) I'm from New York
    2.) Mountain Bike Beginner.
    3.) I own 2 bikes: 1.- Gary Fisher Sugar 2, 2.- BH
    4.) I'm 58 yo and just want to start to Mountain Bike.
    5.) This is the first forum I am In.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

New Member, Old Rider!

Hello People!
    Just rejoined mtbr after many years away. I'm retired now and have escaped California so I have lots of time to post mainly in the Idaho and Fat Bike threads. I'm highly technologically challenged so I may need some advice on posting pics but I'll give it a shot next week. Here's to great riding and looking forward to meeting more fellow riders!

mtbr member
    New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-d7496730-f15a-42c9-9ed3-a3933a839895.jpgNew Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-bfac9dc3-e9c2-4baf-9c17-1013cfd94e84.jpgNew Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-d29ac105-a4a1-4c8a-a441-9ae938b51ba0.jpgWelcome to the show. Congrats on retirement and choice of state to retire in. I think we are all due a lot of snow this year so ride your bike a lot.
    I am also retired but live in high tax WA. Good single track riding here in Roslyn. Give it a shot if you are slumming over in E. WA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    I am also retired but live in high tax WA.
    High tax? WA's lack of income tax was one of the reasons I was thinking of moving there. If there are all sorts of other hidden taxes I may have to rethink that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Thanks Crankyone! Snow is why I got a fat bike our first winter here in 2019. Even when it melts the sticky mud lingers for weeks here in the Boise foothills but the fatty is great on the sand dunes out at Bruneau too so lots of fat bike opportunities here. Haven't ridden in WA yet but I'll get there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Also, check out the Over 50 forum.

New kid
    Oct 2020

New to the forum

Hello everyone,
    Iím from Zutphen, The Netherlands Europe.
    Have been cycling since I was a kid, and currently Iím using a Cube Traveller as a commuter. I used to own a Sensa Romagna roadbike but back-trouble made me get rid of it. Instead I now got my hands on a hardly used 2012 Giant Revel 26er that I converted into a 27.5 XC bike.
    Hope to talk bikes a lot here, probably the best place for it!

Cheers!

HJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-22865246-1fc6-4be2-8c56-66d6df67edc0.jpeg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dc7d72a2-ab9b-4dd7-a039-dc052e2f595c.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Right place for thoughts?

I've had my GT Avalanche since I purchased it back in roughly 1999. It's been everywhere with me and I've been everywhere on it. I just recently put lots of money into it to try to make it like it was when I purchased it.
    I think I succeeded, and it actually rides better than it ever has.
    Can anyone give me some specs on exactly what I have, Year, make and Model you might say! LOL!
    The bike shop tried to get me to just buy another bike, and it would be cheaper than what I would pay to upgrade it, I said, "This is my Baby and It is part of the family, just make her new again"! LOL!
    Still a few things to replace but love the way she's riding now.
    Any info on what the frame is would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-gt-avalanche-cropped.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    New Here, First Post

1.) Where you are from? Penn Yan, NY
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner sort of. Back on the bike after 15 years.
    3.) How many bikes you own? One. Diamondback Sorrento
    4.) How long have you been riding? Since I was 6. Now 55.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Here

I have been riding the Sorrento on and off since I bought it 15-16 years ago. Cleaned it off this spring and took it on vacation to Old Forge and went on the green trails at Mc Cauley mountain and loved it. Waiting for a Fuji Nevada 29 1.5 to land at the LBS. He's been invoiced for it so it should be here soon. Looking forward to checking all the trails in and around Rochester NY.

mtbr member
    Greetings!
    Newbie here.
    Iím from Traverse City, Michigan
    I consider myself a beginner MTBír
    I own one bike, a 2019 Specialized Chisel Comp
    I grew up riding bikes, specifically BMX in the late 70ís and early 80ís. After decades of no riding I am back at it with a vengeance.
    Looking forward to learning from more experienced riders and just being part of the MTB community.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Weapon View Post
    Greetings!
    Newbie here.
    Iím from Traverse City, Michigan
    I consider myself a beginner MTBír
    I own one bike, a 2019 Specialized Chisel Comp
    I grew up riding bikes, specifically BMX in the late 70ís and early 80ís. After decades of no riding I am back at it with a vengeance.
    Looking forward to learning from more experienced riders and just being part of the MTB community.
    pretty much my story as well!! Got back into it 7 years ago b/c my step son got into BMX...got to pull out the old Mongoose (from when they were good) and hit the skateparks, then got him into MTB as well

best mid life crisis ever!!

you live in a beautiful part of the country! We vacation up that way every year, and eventually want to get a place up there...

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Oct 2020

Hi everyobody

Hi there,
    I'm Danilo from Italy, proud owner of a Stumpjumper 2016 Expert Carbon and a Hightower C S 2017.

I'm an intermediate rider, 42 years old and bike lover since I was a kid, and I'm here because I've noticed you're the community that has dealt more with the conversion of Hightower to Hightower LT (conversion that I'm going to try soon, hopefully).

I'm active on an italian forum, but not so much lately.

Thanks

Danilo

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_1459.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Welcome, Danilo!
    I would love to have the opportunity to ride Italy's trails. That would be a great adventure!
    You mention conversion, in what regard are you thinking?

Nice pic, by the way!!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Oct 2020
    Welcome, Danilo!
    I would love to have the opportunity to ride Italy's trails. That would be a great adventure!
    Would be the same for me in Colorado...

You mention conversion, in what regard are you thinking?

Nice pic, by the way!!
    Increase rear travel mounting the upper link of Hightower LT and a 57mm shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

New guy here

Hello from Vegas. This is my 2021 Gravity FSX Boost. Got it from bikes direct. Looking for another small color to add. Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-d5f6dc0e-47c4-44c2-8e1d-a5eea9581c00.jpg  

2021 Gravity FSX Boost Monster

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    cool bike. how about a dude on it in an elvis costume! this was for yesterday. being halloween and all!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by LVGravityFSX View Post
    Hello from Vegas. This is my 2021 Gravity FSX Boost. Got it from bikes direct. Looking for another small color to add. Any suggestions?
    I think getting some dirt on it would be the best color addition!! So brown...possibly orange or red out there in Nevada?

LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Oh I have lol. This was just after a wash and a street ride. Itís very dusty here. Havenít seen mud or any sticky dirt yet
    2021 Gravity FSX Boost Monster

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Iím thinking orange. Just donít know where. Pedals, grips, maybe. I dunno

White
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    White
    but where?!

Quote Originally Posted by LVGravityFSX View Post
    but where?!
    A fine pinstripe surrounding the name decals. And maybe in some other areas as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Checking in:
    1.) Indiana
    2.) Ex XC sport class racer, pedaling for fun and fitness now.
    3.) Own 2 bikes. 2020 Scott Spark RC Pro & 2003? Giant NRS1
    4.) Been riding off and on for 25 years.
    5.) General, Wheels & tires, 29er, Scott Sports forums.

mtbr member
    Picard suggested painting one's rims hot pink, but you'd need to contact him for details.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Picard suggested painting one's rims hot pink, but you'd need to contact him for details.
    I see Picard often mentioned. Can someone please point me to the Cliffs Notes on Picard? We need to know what to expect here

Rippin da fAt
    Dammit, Crankout, can you behave?? Just once???
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Hello all! Checking in :-)

I live in Randstad, Netherlands. However I have lived for more than 10 years in five other countries and I am originally Spanish.

I am probably an all terrain rider other than downhiller. Even 180km TT rides are ok for me! I spend a lot of time on two wheels but recently I enjoy forest trails (not many mountains in The Netherlands :-D).

I have five bikes, including a Dutch two-wheel bakfiets that I use even for heavy grocery shopping. My newest acquisition is a carbon
    double suspension XC 29er.

Itīs been almost 30 years since I bought my first MTB although I had a big 10 years leap during which I was a nomad almost with no bikes to ride.

I participate in some other very various forums including some local Spanish MTB forums.

I am here to learn and share!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Hi folks. New poster here.

1. I'm from Glasgow, Scotland.

2. I'm a beginner, and a generalist "all mountain/trail" rider.

3. I'm looking to buy my first bike very soon. (And indeed have come on to the forum for advice/opinions about that.)

4. I used to ride a mountain bike when I was a teenager, but have had no activity on a bike since then. I am physically active however.

5. I'm a member on the main mountainbiking forums, which in my opinion are (1) this forum, (2) the Pinkbike forum, (3) the Bikeradar forum, and (4) the SingleTracks forum. I also frequent a number of technology forums.

I'm looking forwards to riding trails all over Scotland, especially further North.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Hello

I am a new member. Regular low-level MTB riding in the hills around Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.

Rippin da fAt
    Saudi? Hmmm, sand comes to mind and a fat bikes! Welcome to the forum.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Hello and welcome.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

New user :)

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
    I am from Colorado, a 4th generation native.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    I would consider myself an all mtn/trail rider. I like it all except enduro and DH.

Right now it is 5, with hopefully one on the way in the spring.

I have been a city rider for decades. But I have been mtn biking only for about nine years.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)
    I am new to the whole forum thing, so I guess this one

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Salutations

Hullo!

1.) Where you are from?
    CA and NY

intermediate enthusiast, ride daily, and just starting to research customizing

2 - mountain bike and BMX

40-ish years if you count riding around the neighborhood with kids, but off and on for 20+

5.) What forums do you frequent most? n/a

As I said above, with COVID restricting the bike shops around town, I'm really motivated to start doing more with my bike beside basic cleaning and maintenance. My daily bike is starting to show its age and am looking to upgrade the components to match my riding preferences.
    Last edited by nel e nel; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:08 PM. Reason: adding title

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by miah1138 View Post
    I am from Colorado, a 4th generation native.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    I would consider myself an all mtn/trail rider. I like it all except enduro and DH.

Right now it is 5, with hopefully one on the way in the spring.

I have been a city rider for decades. But I have been mtn biking only for about nine years.

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)
    I am new to the whole forum thing, so I guess this one
    Yay! more Coloradans!! Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good list if riding for ya. Keep it happenin!! Hope to hear some more from ya in the future.

I am in Glenwierd Springs, gave up the DH thang due to spine issues that don't tolerate it well any longer but still love a good singletrack with excellent flow and mild features.

Quote Originally Posted by nel e nel View Post
    Hullo!

1.) Where you are from?
    CA and NY

intermediate enthusiast, ride daily, and just starting to research customizing

2 - mountain bike and BMX

40-ish years if you count riding around the neighborhood with kids, but off and on for 20+

5.) What forums do you frequent most? n/a

As I said above, with COVID restricting the bike shops around town, I'm really motivated to start doing more with my bike beside basic cleaning and maintenance. My daily bike is starting to show its age and am looking to upgrade the components to match my riding preferences.
    Welcome to the forums... Hope to hear some more from ya in the future.

Did someone say BMX???

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_1402.jpg
    Here's a pithy dirt racer with a penchant for BMX at the local BMX track.

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_1388.jpg
    And of course a dirt couch...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Welcome to the forums... Hope to hear some more from ya in the future.

Did someone say BMX???

Here's a pithy dirt racer with a penchant for BMX at the local BMX track.

And of course a dirt couch...
    Those are fancy! Mine is more of classic 80s suburban white kid style. It was a junker I found on the sidewalk and had my LBS bring back to life. Interesting thing is it a 6 speed with a grip shifter and only a front wheel brake.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by nel e nel View Post
    Those are fancy! Mine is more of classic 80s suburban white kid style. It was a junker I found on the sidewalk and had my LBS bring back to life. Interesting thing is it a 6 speed with a grip shifter and only a front wheel brake.
    I have a bike that was in need of a second chance at life. A very old Specialized that turned out to be an enjoyable ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    1.) Where you are from? Madrid, Spain
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? weekend warrior
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3
    4.) How long have you been riding? 28 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? foromtb.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Both and raised in the Bay Area, CA.

Back in the days a bmx rider. Haven't biked in a very long time, but goal is to pick up a new SC 5010, and hit the local trails with some co-workers and friends.

2 bmx bikes, and hopefully a full squish very soon.

On and off 20 years.

I've broused here before, but just became a member, and I go on hdforums.com for Harley stuff.

Let's ride!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Cheers everyone

Hi fellow riders,

I'm from the Ruhrvalley in Germany Ė which is located in the very West of our country near the Netherlands. I own one bike, a 2015, 29er Trek X-Caliber in Volt Green. Riding this bike means a great deal to me: It's my daily driver & commuter, I go off-road on it, I haul my kids trailer with it and I started bike-packing (Amsterdam last summer, more to come). I've been riding since I can remember and I ride my bicycle whenever I can. I'm looking forward to learning & sharing with like-minded folks in this forum.

Take it easy & hugs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_20200723_152914.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamCheesecake View Post
    Hi fellow riders,

I'm from the Ruhrvalley in Germany Ė which is located in the very West of our country near the Netherlands. I own one bike, a 2015, 29er Trek X-Caliber in Volt Green. Riding this bike means a great deal to me: It's my daily driver & commuter, I go off-road on it, I haul my kids trailer with it and I started bike-packing (Amsterdam last summer, more to come). I've been riding since I can remember and I ride my bicycle whenever I can. I'm looking forward to learning & sharing with like-minded folks in this forum.

Take it easy & hugs
    Welcome and keep up the riding! Keeps us somewhat sane anyway...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Smile Hi from Scottsdale

I have been around MBs for a very long time. Some of you may remember my cooking at the Cascade Cream Puff in the early 2000s. I now live in Scottsdale next to the best riding park I know, the Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve. Husband Matt and I ride all the time. Fun! I am on a 2015 Juliana Furtado and he is on a 2018 Hightower. It's a good life!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by carla View Post
    I have been around MBs for a very long time. Some of you may remember my cooking at the Cascade Cream Puff in the early 2000s. I now live in Scottsdale next to the best riding park I know, the Scottsdale Sonoran Preserve. Husband Matt and I ride all the time. Fun! I am on a 2015 Juliana Furtado and he is on a 2018 Hightower. It's a good life!

Don't say that too loud in here, carla! We might lock you in the kitchen before our ride... Welcome to the foray, um forum to you and you hubby.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

My first post! Hi everyone.

Hi,

I haven't posted here - but I've been a lurker for a veeeerrry long time. Anyway, I've been rebuilding old bikes over the past few months and have found a lot of useful information in the forums here, and I anticipate that I may have a few questions of my own in the coming months and years, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

A few of the bikes I've done the past few months:
    1998 Ventana Marble Peak FS (1x9 drivetrain vintage XT/XTR, RockShox SID SL)

2014 Wilier Cross Carbon (1x10 Advent X drivetrain, Ritchey WCS Carbon cross fork, Mavic Ksyrium, gravel tires...~18lbs)

2000 Surly Cross Check (Sub 20lb 1x9 build - carbon bullhorn handlebar, carbon cranks, Mavic Ksyrium, Ritchey carbon fork blah blah)

2014 Trek Session 9.9 26er. (Fox 36 27.5 in front, SRAM XO crank - kind of an enduro conversion in progress)

And my latest projects:

1998 Stumpjumper M2
    1996ish Bontrager Race Lite

A couple photos of the Ventana and the Wilier:

I have more photos - including a Bontrager race lite I just picked up, but the upload function is having some issues.

Anyway - hi everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_20201116_141947.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_20201015_174121.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_20201030_162217.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

SE Pennsylvania rider new to site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Long time mountain biker ( steel frames, wheels, rim brakes, no suspension) good ol days. Ive progressed significantly bike wise until lately. Bought a GBEM fat bike recently. need some advice on a surly moonlander fork /caliper mount. I know there's a forum for this but this is my first post

mtbr member
    Can't help you with the fork/mount question, but welcome from 'the Skook.'

You have some great riding spots in the area.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2020
    Hey all.. It's been around an year since i started reading from this forum as i wanted a mtb. Since im a tinkerer tho i decided to build my own. This forum made this possible. The info avaliable here and others' experience helped me out like no one could. So i thought i'd join and "return the favor", basically share my experience with others and finally join the conversation!

Mud Rock XC
    Nov 2020
    It's been around a couple of months since i started reading from this forum as i wanted my own mtb. Since im a retro lover, i decided to search for it and restore/recon /build on my own. This forum made this possible. The info available here and others' experience helped me out like no one could. So i thought i'd join and try to gather information from others, thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2020

suburban trails

I've been an enthusiastic runner for years, and occasional biker with the fam. This year gave me the chance to start exploring local trails (I live outside Boston), and I finally took the plunge and got a full suspension bike!

Really enjoying working on the fundamentals, and I built an 8-inch kicker ramp that I've been practicing on in front of our house. Also working to bunny hop over a tiny obstacle now.

Thanks for the friendly forum here; it makes me feel like I'm not the weirdo dad doing jumps in front of his house.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Hi, newbie here, can't seem to post a new thread

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Been here since like Sept./Oct., never thought to introduce myself.

I've been riding in LA (Louisiana, not Los Angeles), since I was 7, recently got a new 2021 Trek Marlin 6 as a beginner MTB, and I want to start hitting the trails.

The only bad thing?
    We're below sea-level and we don't have many mtb trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

New(ish) to the site

Hey everyone, just thought I'd drop in and say hello!

I started working on bikes in 1984 with my Mongoose California BMX, and then worked in a couple shops as a mechanic for the next 10 or so years. Sheesh, it sounds like I'm old! :-) Anyway:

Hello!

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonbassist View Post

I started working on bikes in 1984 with my Mongoose California BMX, and then worked in a couple shops as a mechanic for the next 10 or so years. Sheesh, it sounds like I'm old! :-) Anyway:

Hello!
    Sweet!!! I still have, and ride, my 1988 Californian Pro when I am not on my MTB...my step son got me back into BMX years ago when he got interested...awesome mid life crisis to have!!!

LET IT SNOW!

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by herndonbassist View Post

Hello!
    The gray hair is a dead giveaway...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Hello!

I'm one of those that has really gotten into cycling due to Covid. I had an old GT i-drive full suspension bike that I enjoyed for years, but never really rode it as much as I should have. I started joining group rides and it was a lot of bike to move around, and was brutally bad at climbing. My fitness level had also gone way downhill over the last 20 years. In June I purchased a 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe and it really transformed my love of cycling. I've ridden at least 75 miles per week every week since the end of June. My Kona has over 1,500 miles on it and it's a blast to rider.

In my exploration of the surrounding area, I kept seeing just how many mountain bike trails there are. A couple of my neighbors who I ride on the road with are big mountain bikers. They have loaned me some bikes and suffered through a few rides with me being woefully unfamiliar with modern mountain biking. Most importantly, I had a lot of fun. Being new to modern mountain biking I figured I would go back to what I am most familiar with back when I did most of my mountain biking: hardtail. Lighter, less expensive (which allows for better components) and will hopefully help teach me what kind of rider I am as I get into the sport more.

I just picked up a 2019 Commencal Meta HT Race that was basically unridden. I've taken it out on one very basic ride just to get a feel for it, and it's so much different than the old 26" hardtails I'm used to. The 29" wheels don't feel as nimble, and the wide handlebars feel a little awkward. In time I will get used to it. On the positive side, the 29" wheels rolls really nice, the tires seemingly provide unlimited traction, it climbs like a mountain goat, the big tires and front fork make it ride cushier than the old-school full suspension bikes I'm used to, dropper posts are amazing, and the bike really feels unbelievably natural descending at speed.

Looking forward to learning more from all of you about mountain biking!

1.) Where you are from? Bay Area
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2
    4.) How long have you been riding? 5 months after a 20 year hiatus
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? Reddit , if that counts

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-commencalht.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-dewdeluxe.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-commencalht2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2020

Hello from Texas

Hi - I just joined this forum community today. I look forward to learning from y'all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2020
    Hi all, checking in as a brand new mountain biker from Denver, Colorado. I was suffering from extreme FOMO and an opportunity arose to purchase a used Yeti SB95 at a heavy discount. Iíve done a bit of road cycling and some cyclocross, but Iíve only mountain biked once with some buddies; needless to say it only took that one time to hook me. Looking forward to learning a lot!

lurker
    Nov 2020

New here, just picked up a new MTB after a long hiatus

Hey everyone,

I always loved bikes- including a bunch of sport bikes (motorcycles) I tracked (although I've moved on and back to sports cars). I had three bikes stolen from me in college and shortly after (one from inside my house in college, one from inside my apt storage unit in college and one my roommate's idiot kid brother came over and left the garage door open a few years after college). It was a 3-4 year old, at the time, Fuel 80, which I absolutely loved.

Fast forward a decade to covid era, my knees became too old to run, my metabolism slowed down, I left my company and started own practice working twice the hours and opened a restaurant (I know) 2 months ago on top of that, so my waistline and general energy levels were depressing me.

I bought a Marlin 5 about a year ago and hated it. Rode it 15 miles or so and never road it again. Yesterday, I picked this up- about as close as I could get to my old Fuel 80.

I love 26ers. Nothing against 29ers, but I like riding around downtown, and having a playful bike I can just have fun with while getting some exercise in.

Not sure if it was a good deal or not at $800, but it's exactly what I wanted. It also looks like it's been ridden a total of 10 miles in its lifetime. I'll probably start tricking it out with some carbon and titanium bling after I ride it some more- mostly because it's fun to tinker and make it yours.

Only real question I have for now is: I never had hydraulic brakes. From my sport bike days, I just have too much muscle memory in the right side being front brake. I switched the brakes from left to right no problem, but they're upside down now. I seriously doubt it makes any difference as it should be a fluid that doesn't care, but JUST INCASE, I assume it's fine for now, right? I just need to buy the tools so I can pull the lines out (although, it feels pretty much exactly the same).

It looked like there is no way to swap the lines without opening the lines to atmosphere, but that was just looking at it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-trek2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Hey all, new(ish) member here:

I'm a strong intermediate/low advanced rider in Reno, NV who enjoys riding all the great singletrack and tech here in the Reno/Truckee/Tahoe area.

I'm riding a 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson Aluminum S Build; my other bikes are road - Specialized Roubaix Pro, Specialized Diverge Sport, Wabi fixed gear.

Favorite place to ride nearby has to be South Lake Tahoe, CA; favorite of all-time is definitely Hurricane, UT - especially Guac and Gooseberry.

Pretty new here and not too active on this or other online forums.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950