New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread - Page 49- Mtbr.com
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
Results 9,601 to 9,751 of 9751
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Hello, long time user of mtbr, but I don't think I ever introduced myself formally...

1.) Where you are from?... Born in the Caribbean... Live in Austin, TX
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?... Old school XC.
    3.) How many bikes you own?... One.
    4.) How long have you been riding?... 25 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most?... Many different ones; depends on what I'm looking for at the time.

Always thought of mtbr as a solid resource for the mtb community.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

Hello

Hello, Been following for some time finally joined. Looking forward to chatting with new people and maybe riding some new places

Thank You
    Rick

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to get back into biking. I used to love it as a teenager, and into my twenties. But then other things took precedence. It's been about 15 years since I've been out on a trail.
    1.) Where you are from? I'm from the Northeast (USA), and have spent time out on the west coast, but I'm back in the northease.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Probably back to being a beginner, but hopefully the old muscle memory kicks back in.
    3.) How many bikes you own? I currently have 0 bikes.
    4.) How long have you been riding? Just trying to get back into it now.

Obviously, I'll be bugging you guys for advice soon.

mtbr member
    Sorry for this post i hit the wrong button but don't know how to delete it

mtbr member
    Hi all

Martin from new Zealand
    Trail rider. I like the challenge of the trails and peacefulness
    1 1/2 bikes mine a Trek remedy 7 27.5 and a Jamis 29r cyclocross which is the boys now but i use it as well and do the maintenance on it
    Used to race road and track when I was younger and always had a bike around home but got the jamis about 5 years ago then the trek 2 years ago and haven't looked back.
    Forums mainly here on mtbr

A good site here people are than helpful

mtbr member
    Welcome aboard the good ship MTBR, Rick. I'm sure you'll find things both informative and entertaining here.

I'm showing that you have not paid up your initiation dues so when you've got a chance please send over your $100 here: gofundme/scottonewbikefund.com

Thanks.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post

gofundme/scottonewbikefund.com

Rick, do not follow this link! Asian spamers are a real and dangerous threat on MTBr. His message is potentially full of ebike propaganda.

I translated the message here

ď좋은 선박 MTBR, Rick에 오신 것을 환영합니다. 유익한 정보와 재미있는 정보를 모두 찾을 수있을 것입니다.Ē -Scott O

Other than that, welcome aboard the train wreck
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Yeah, what Train Wreck said. Trails are ruined because e-bikes are there.

Out spokin'
    Thatís the guy I warned you about, Rick. Now letís see some photos of your bike and girlfriend.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Got back into riding after about 18 years off... both my kids are getting into it as well. I enjoy riding a mix of features and flowy berms.

I'm riding a Trek Roscoe 8. I'm a way better rider than I used to be thanks to a modern bike. Hardtail is still a ton of fun.

I'm riding in BC.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi all!

I'm from the SouthEast part of Victoria in Australia, consider myself a returning newbie to mountain biking, preferring scenic riding with a mix of ups and downs. I own 2 bikes - A 2014 Giant Trance 3, which I've been updating bit by bit and enjoying thoroughly, and a 1997 GT Panterra AL. I've been riding since 1998 but stepped away from it for about a decade in 2010 or thereabouts. I frequent this and PinkBike a lot but decided I should set up an account and actually start posting.

My riding started in college, in Missouri. I bought the Panterra that I still have, second hand from the local bike shop. Trails were mostly level single track that meandered through the chat piles left over from abandoned rock mines. I never really progressed beyond fitness riding and scenic exploring on the bike.

I moved to Australia in 2003, rode some of the local trails a few times but then life got busy and the purple GT sat in the garage for a lot of years. Just the end of last year, I picked up a few second hand deals for me, the Missus and my two kids and because of the maintenance required to bring everything up to scratch, rediscovered how much I love to ride and also tinker with my bikes. I've been loving it and spending way too much time and money on it, ever since.

mtbr member
    May 2020

Hi from DownUnder

Hi folks,
    New to the forum and located in country New South Wales, Australia. I've owned a Cannondale Super V 900 SL for the past 20 years and interested to learn from the wealth of knowledge here.

My riding is pretty tame cross country stuff but our Miss 13 is getting into some serious downhill so time to get educated.

Thanks for having me,
    Mick

mtbr member

Good job!

Welcome all and Micky_G welcome from across the ditch

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Hey Mick,
    Rotorburn.com is another good Aussie forum site to look at, bit more localised
    I'm from Sydney
    David

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi David,
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm just outside Wagga.
    Mick

Unpredictable
    Hi mate. There's always interesting stuff on MTBR. Plenty of smack too. Have fun down there. It's all about fun. Tame is different to everyone.
    Where's Miss13 accessing DH? Albury, ACT or Thredbo (post-COVID)? Lots of driving for you wherever, I guess.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I've just upgraded from an Anthem to a Trance, my tame has just gone up a level 😃

mtbr member
    I just watched the news and Aus. is being touted for it's excellent response to the virus.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I just watched the news and Aus. is being touted for it's excellent response to the virus.
    Ah yes, New Zealand is always being mistaken for Australia... NZ did a brilliant job, we did OK, about to lift restrictions, but probably a bit early, everyone will go nuts instead of easing into less restrictions.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Gidday mate

Unpredictable
    What Australia did do right was take it seriously early. Physical distancing and business closure preceded large numbers of cases. We had 2 months longer than the US to get used to it and realise the potential seriousness of the disease. The government has been realistic and while some are falling through the cracks, financially generous in the face of business closures and skyrocketing unemployment.

The biggest saviours for Oz and NZ though were being isolated from the rest of the world, both by closing our borders and being distant islands, being in the summer season and comparatively low population density. What we should have done immediately and didn't was suspend travel from mainland China. We had direct flights from Wuhan to the Gold Coast. That brought the virus here, but fortunately not in large numbers.

It is hard watching from here not to think the mighty $ seems more important to the US administration than the wellbeing of people and health care workers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Ah yes, New Zealand is always being mistaken for Australia... NZ did a brilliant job, we did OK, about to lift restrictions, but probably a bit early, everyone will go nuts instead of easing into less restrictions.
    No, this was about Australia's response (morning national news). PM was being praised (after being railed about the response to the fires).
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Oi for drongos and galahs

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hey folks,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and great to hear some fellow Aussies about. We have indeed done alright with the virus and hopefully we are on cusp of a return to some sort of normal, whatever that now looks like.

Ridnparadise, Miss 13 has hit some private trails around Tumut and Tumba and has had a run at both Thredbo and Stromlo. I'm sure there will be more to come once we move past the virus restrictions.

Mick

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by guild View Post
    Hey folks,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and great to hear some fellow Aussies about. We have indeed done alright with the virus and hopefully we are on cusp of a return to some sort of normal, whatever that now looks like.

Ridnparadise, Miss 13 has hit some private trails around Tumut and Tumba and has had a run at both Thredbo and Stromlo. I'm sure there will be more to come once we move past the virus restrictions.

Mick
    Tumut and Tumba. Excellent. I have very fond memories of both places, although more for fishing and motorcycle riding. Tumut has tasty terrain for DH MTB almost right in town and all the way past Talbingo. I guess you could smash the old ski hill at Tumby and shuttle back up. Things must have changed since I was there though. Enjoy it G.

mtbr member
    Great to hear from you, down under. One thing I am realizing about the new world post cv19 is that my concept of friends has changed from people that I see in person, to online posts and forums. We are all friends drawn together by a common interest. We enjoy hearing the language and expressions; press on. Hope to visit your country one day.
    It's all about the machine. The design, and what makes it go fast.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello there!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    post covid, we are still well within it mate.

Anyway I got me some Vegemite to chow down on.

Gidday Mate.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi All, noob lurking for info before I buy a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hello from upover.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Bloody ripper

mtbr member
    You've come to the right place mate! I have an old bike like that too, a 20 year old Cannondale SuperV700SX. But I also have a newer one, a 2015 Scalpel 29.

New and Explorer

Hello

hello all, thanks for the help this forum has already and i look forward to getting and giving help in the future.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You are more then welcome.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Just finished washing the Ute matey, now gotme a Slab to down mate.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hey everybody.

I stumbled into this on accident. Today, I met up with a friend at a local bike shop that I've never been to (haven't set foot in a bike shop in well over 20 years and didn't buy anything that time either). He was checking out some BMX bikes. I strolled over to the mountain bikes, lazily interested.

The employee pulled down a Giant Talon 2 for me to plop myself on. I liked that it was light... and that was about all I knew about the thing. Then my friend said "if you buy that, I'll buy this" referring to the BMX he was on. So, money spent, that was that.

I just got home from a 5mi ride and I'm gonna feel this in the morning. That was fun and some great exercise.

So, what ultimately convince me to join your fine forum? The beer thread
    Last edited by FortunaMajor; 05-13-2020 at 07:07 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    May 2020
    From Lancaster, North West England here. 58 years old, fatter than a fat thing and I'm a victim of Severe Traumatic Brain Injuries. It' a great excuse for doing silly things, like buying LOTS of bikes and trikes, or joining forums based out in Her Majesties collonys:-) I have folders,recumbents, trikes, tourers and I love them all. Just got a New Surly ECR with the intention of (Post Covid Lock down) exploring some of the great off road areas near me. I live between the Lake (hilly!) district and the Trough (hilly) of Bowland and, other than in a car, I've explored locally too little.
    I like the look of this forum and look forward to being a Pest on here for the future!
    Steve.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Just saw this thread among all the various subforums here. Anyway, here goes:
    1. From Atlanta, but have pretty well set up in Knoxville, via Dearborn/Ann Arbor (Auto industry)
    2. Beginner
    3. 2 - a 20 year old Raleigh I bought fresh out of grad school when I moved to MI. Wife ended up not enjoying it, so we never really did anything with it. Just bought a Giant Stance a few weeks ago from a long time friend who owns the local Giant dealership. Of course, it only took 2 rides for me to start changing things.......(first change is adding a dropper post).
    4. Since late March. I started riding because of the shutdown. I'm an avid swimmer, and aside from my dislike of both weights and running, I felt mountain biking was probably going to give me the best mix of intensities most similar to my swim workouts (many are HIIT like).
    5. DOn't visit too many very often, but currently visit USMS.org (US Masters Swimming), Tesla Motors Club, EverythingSG (guitar forum devoted to Gibson SG's), Rennlist (Porsche forum).

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Hey From New Zealand
    From Bay of Plenty NZ ,Redwoods Rotorua home trails ,Santa cruz Hightower v2 my horse Cheers Guys

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi all!

So I am wanting back in. I got my first mountain bike while going to college in Tallahassee, FL. Back then, I worked slinging pizza long enough to save up for a GT Avalanche and Manitou front suspension. I used to love heading out on my own and sometimes with friends to hit the trails. I pretty much was self taught and focused on what trail types were available. There were a fair amount of good technical trails in the area.

Fast forward. I moved to one of the meccas of mountain biking, (the PNW / Seattle) , back in 2001 and promptly stopped riding. I got distracted, joined the National Guard, got sent to Kuwait from 04-05, and when I came back, I got into playing drums in a band again. I am also into exploring with my 4Runner, camping, and enjoying being outside.

Getting back into it. I still have my old GT Avalanche with 26" tires, Ritchey clipless pedals. I will probably start off by throwing some new rubber on my old rig, ( I have to, the ~25 year old tires are split with dry rot.. lol). I need to get back into shape to make hitting a trail enjoyable.

Eyeing new gear. Oh BOY have things changed. Hahaha. 27.5+" / 3" fatties!, 29" tires, flat pedals, droppers, different gear sets, shocks, slack geometry, full suspension, industry trends... helmets.

I just picked up a POC Tectal Race Spin Helmet after doing a fair amount of research. I am eyeing a new bike. I haven't had a chance to hit the trails out her in the PNW just yet besides hikes, and 4x4ing.

I guess I am looking at the All Mountain style of riding. I haven't settled on HT or FS just yet. I want access to plus sized tires if I go HT. Although, it looks like the industry is moving away from the fatty 3" tires, and HT in general. I mean, I don't think HTs will ever go away, but by looking at the numbers, it seems that the focus is on FS these days. I come from HTs just because FS was an expensive exotic overpriced option back in 1995 that was way beyond my budget.

I have been looking at a lot of HTs by watching Hardtail Party videos. I will also start looking at a few FS reviews. I am not married to any one thing yet. Probably not carbon or Ti at this point.

I don't see myself focusing on speed and big jumps. I am 45 now and I am not trying to shoot a RedBull commercial anytime soon. LOL. I am sure that I could probably get more for my money if I go the HT route, but I recognize that there are still some good FS options out there that you can upgrade as you go.

I look forward to talking to you guys and getting back into it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-thumbnail_20200518_103855.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020

Greetings!

Hi everyone, new member here

as with other newbies looking for advice, I'm here because I want to tap into the experience of others. That said, I'm wondering if the world needs more "help me choose a bike" threads but in fact thats what I'm hoping for.... lol

posting here first to get some approach guidance -- I'm not your ordinary bike shopper mostly because I have a few years on most of you (I suspect) and also not the strongest out there. but I'm also as analytical as anyone, with lots of reading, number crunching and youtubing time.

One local shop has made a suggestion for me that I would never have thought of -- so before I get into that detail I thought I would post here for some general guidance before I jump into the "all mountain" forum and ask questions there.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello everyone. And thank you for letting me on this forum.

Situation and questions:
    1. My TREK Mtn bike was stolen a few years back.
    2. I opted for a Scott -- which was great. Alas, I sold it when I moved west (Oregon).
    3. Now I'm in search of a new trail rider. I'm evaluating the Ghost and the Kona bikes.
    4. Trying to keep the cost between $1k and $2k.

Any recommendations?

Thanks again. Be safe.

Dude

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello All,

Been soaking up knowledge here for awhile, finally decided to join.

1.) Where you are from? Eastern Pennsylvania, USA: about an hour north of Philly.
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? I'd call myself a weekend warrior, though with being laid-off recently, I've been getting more rides in.
    3.) How many bikes you own? 3: 2013 Cannondale Trigger 29 2, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara, and a 2013 Ridley Orion (road-bike)
    4.) How long have you been riding? First started in 1999, was on and off until about 2017 when I started being more consistent riding on weekends.

Old enough to remember ..

Greetings from one more newbie (Great White North)

Hi all,

Joined to get a few answers to some of my questions.

Short bio:

75 years old, retired and living in the Okanagan Valley, BC Canada.
    A "few" hobbies on the go e.g cycling and XC skiing.

Picked up my new ride (diVinci Stellar Acera) with much better gearing than the old one (Bianchi Nyala). That makes a lot of difference on the climbs AND on our "race track" aka Okanagan RailTrail I have yet to hit the biggest gear and keeping the cadence between 70 and 75.

Got decade sensors for both the MTB and the road bike, data collecting on the Garmin Vivoactive HR. One could call that the frugal and compact approach, but it's good enough for my purposes to see what's what on Garmin Connect.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    FYI there's a beginner forum here and a training also.

Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    FYI there's a beginner forum here and a training also.
    Thanks, but I'm a few years past the beginner state.
    Now training is another matter.
    The reason I decided "to get with the program" was how long it took me to get up to speed and endurance on the XC skiing trails this past season.
    Retired or not, taking it easy during the off-snow season is no longer advisable. Hence enough cycling on and off road with a bit of trail running should fix that. At least that's the plan.
    Way back when I was still competing (30-35 years ago) a ran anything in the 5k to marathon range and did short course triathlons.
    But those years .... there not coming back.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    That is a very nice lake, nice area too with all that sunshine.

How is the Kettle Valley Myra trail? I've been looking at it through Google Maps.

Any other trails you recommend?

mtbr member
    Well, being Canadian, you likely have genes that allow you superhuman mountain biking abilities.

Have fun with it and show those young whippersnappers how it's done.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Well, being Canadian, you likely have genes that allow you superhuman mountain biking abilities.

Have fun with it and show those young whippersnappers how it's done.

It gets better than that ........ born and raised in Switzerland those mountains are almost in my genes.
    Back when riding my bike to school in ZŁrich there was always a selection of routes. On good days I'd take the steep route, the one that was a real blast to ride down, a bit more work when going up.
    Back then it was still the old cobble stone surface. Not the rounded ones, but the ones with the flat tops were "interesting" enough.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post

How is the Kettle Valley Myra trail? I've been looking at it through Google Maps.

The Myra section of the Kettle Valley is the busiest .... and also the easiest, hardly any grade.
    My equal half gave me the book on the Kettle Valley Trail, now that is another story. Despite following the route of the former rail line there are some grades on that one, not super steep, but plenty long enough.

A recent addition to the scene is the Coldstream (Vernon) to Kelowna Rail Trail. There's still an unfinished gap at the Kelowna end, around the airport area.
    The 28 kilometres from the North End are very good for time trialing just keep cranking, but keep enough in the tank for the return trip.

A lot of trails in Kal Lake Park https://www.trailforks.com/region/ka...lon=-119.24868 and a bunch more up on Silver Star mountain. Our XC skiing area https://www.trailforks.com/region/si...lon=-119.10386
    Not sure if Silver Star resort has re-opened
    https://www.skisilverstar.com/summer...ies/dh-biking/
    They closed early in order for all their Aussies to get home before the lock down happened.
    That put the boots to our Loppet and shortened the XC skiing season by three weeks.

The extra goodies for the MTB arrived today, a small but loud bell, a spy mirror and the half toe clips. While I mounted the "stuff" SWMBO opined that I could keep going and clean the bike while I'm at it.

Really????
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhB HJ View Post
    The Myra section of the Kettle Valley is the busiest .... and also the easiest, hardly any grade.
    My equal half gave me the book on the Kettle Valley Trail, now that is another story. Despite following the route of the former rail line there are some grades on that one, not super steep, but plenty long enough.

A recent addition to the scene is the Coldstream (Vernon) to Kelowna Rail Trail. There's still an unfinished gap at the Kelowna end, around the airport area.
    The 28 kilometres from the North End are very good for time trialing just keep cranking, but keep enough in the tank for the return trip.

A lot of trails in Kal Lake Park https://www.trailforks.com/region/ka...lon=-119.24868 and a bunch more up on Silver Star mountain. Our XC skiing area https://www.trailforks.com/region/si...lon=-119.10386
    Not sure if Silver Star resort has re-opened
    https://www.skisilverstar.com/summer...ies/dh-biking/
    They closed early in order for all their Aussies to get home before the lock down happened.
    That put the boots to our Loppet and shortened the XC skiing season by three weeks.

The extra goodies for the MTB arrived today, a small but loud bell, a spy mirror and the half toe clips. While I mounted the "stuff" SWMBO opined that I could keep going and clean the bike while I'm at it.

Really????
    I was really hoping to take the family up to Silverstar this year, but it looks like that won't happen now.

Toe clips? Do people still use those?

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post

Toe clips? Do people still use those?
    Some of us do.

Was a strange feeling on the new bike without them.

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-devinci01fora.jpg

Quick exit when required!
    Same goes for the road bike (vintage 1981) with toe clips and straps.
    Has worked for me going all the way back to 1958 when I finally got a "decent bike" aka a 10 speed.
    Cheers

HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
    Coldstream BC Canada

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post

If he is based in the coldsteam area near vernon he lives near one of finest trails I have ever ridden. The StoneFree climb followed by Big Ed is absolutely amazing.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    May 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Greetings and Introduction ...

Greetings. Just joined, hoping to glean some knowledge from here as I dig into this adventure.

In response to the common introductory questions:

1.) Where you are from?
    That's not an easy question for me to answer.

I am originally form Southeast Louisiana, but have lived abroad for most of my adult life. At the moment and for the foreseeable future, I live in the southern part of the Mexican state of Sonora. There's a very active and very friendly MTB cycling community here and it's been a big help to me. Great people that are not just willing but eager to put up with a fat old man of a newbie.

We (my wife and I) have lived in Mexico for a total of almost 20 years. We also spent 10 years in Outer Mongolia (living part of that time in a nomad community) and some time in the US.

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?
    Intermediate. I've been doing this since June 2019, after I was diagnosed with high blood pressure (I'm in my fifties) and realized I really needed to get off of my ass. I'm told by veterans that I'm pretty decent for a newbie, but I'm still learning. I lean toward more aggressive riding more than my friends who've been at this for about the same time, but I try to remember that I don't heal as fast as I used to. Bikes can be as unforgiving as horses.

3.) How many bikes you own?
    Three, if you count my crap bike.

I have one that I use for short runs around town. It's a piece of junk, but it gets me to the grocery store and the bank, and if it gets stolen I won't weep too much. Plus it saves wear on my good bikes. I call it El Burro Blanco. It's a 26 inch GMX D50 MTB with full suspension that I bought used and probably paid a little too much for. Like I said, it's my crap bike.

My first decent bike was a 2008 Diamondback Sorrento 26er that I bought used. It was in really good shape for an 11 year old bike, had seen very little use. It was a good bike to ease into the sport, and I still use it for rides close into town. That's my Yegua Colorada.

My Potrillo Grullo is a 2019 Trek X Caliber 8 that I bought last December just before Christmas. I do all my serious cross country type stuff with that one. Just bought a Bob Ibex 28 Plus and I'm looking into getting into some serious bikepacking. There are many incredible trails within a 50km radius of where I live and I''m trying to get to know them.

4.) How long have you been riding?
    As I said above, I started in June 2019 when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. I've been out of the saddle since mid-May of 2020 due to some surgery, but hope to be back in within the next week or so.

5.) What forums do you frequent most?
    This is my first. Hoping to learn a lot and maybe one day be of some help to a few folks.

This is the setup that I just configured. I already have a question about my hanger, but I'll post that elsewhere in the next couple of days.

Thanks for having me aboard.

ElNavojoense
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-bikewithtrailer.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RhB HJ View Post
    Some of us do.

Was a strange feeling on the new bike without them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deVinci01Fora.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	631.4 KB 
ID:	1334923

Quick exit when required!
    Same goes for the road bike (vintage 1981) with toe clips and straps.
    Has worked for me going all the way back to 1958 when I finally got a "decent bike" aka a 10 speed.
    People bag on toe clips these days, but I used them for most of the 1990s on technical terrain without issue. I rather liked them. Eventually I gave SPDs a try and have stuck with them.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    1.) Where you are from?
    Huntsville, AL

Intermediate. I try to stay out of the death defying stuff but I like rocks and roots as well as XC style. I keep both wheels on the ground typically but enjoy plowing through some rough stuff. I love the challenge of clearing a technical uphill that I haven't cleared before, probably more so than downhill speed.

3. An entry level full suspension (Stumpjumper ST), that I have been upgrading over the couple years. It has been a nice platform to tweak. Started on a 2013 Trek Mamba that I slowly beat the living crap out of but it served its purpose and now has been retired to neighborhood riding duties after some TLC. I still have an old Diamondback "hybrid" that gets dusted off once per year to take to the beach and ride on the bike lanes.

About 5 years, with the last 3 becoming serious to at times obsessive. Mountain biking has become my main fitness activity. I try to ride as much as I can but with a wife and 4 kids it can be tough to squeeze in. However, a couple of my kids enjoy riding with me now, which makes me love this sport even more.

None really. Lurked here learning for the last couple years and finally decided to jump in.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by guild View Post
    Hi folks,
    New to the forum and located in country New South Wales, Australia. I've owned a Cannondale Super V 900 SL for the past 20 years and interested to learn from the wealth of knowledge here.

My riding is pretty tame cross country stuff but our Miss 13 is getting into some serious downhill so time to get educated.

Thanks for having me,
    Mick
    Apologies to the admins, I posted my intro to the wrong thread. Thanks to the mods for moving it here...

Mick

mtbr member
    Apr 2020

New here!

1.) Where you are from?

Currently living in Omaha, NE. I grew up in Alaska and South Dakota.

Decent at best! I like techy stuff more than huge jumps. I do prefer big drops over jumps.

My current steed is a 2019 Canyon Torque
    An extremely unknown fatbike that was my first complete rebuild.
    GT Agressor Pro's that the wife and I started out on X2

I rode a lot of BMX and XC while growing up in AK. Nothing sanctioned but out in the woods. Took about a 10-year break from the bikes and started riding again Jan 2019. I'd say 10 years total.

Here and pinkbike to see what I can't afford.

mtbr member
    Hello everyone,

Native of rural eastern California here, been in Arizona since December 2017. I'm in the north-central part of the state Ė high elevation and not too hot most of the time. I'm a middle-aged guy, fat and somewhat crippled. I did some mountain biking (and a heck of a lot of beer-drinking!) in the 1990s, but got away from the bike after a move and some other situational changes.

I just bought a new entry-level mountain bike two weeks ago. At first I just wanted to get in better physical condition, enjoy nature and spend time with my family. Now I also want to challenge myself and become as good of a rider as my physical limitations will allow. I'd also like to become proficient at bike maintenance for myself, family and friends.

Since the minute I got the new bike, all I want to do is ride. Working from home, I find myself constantly coming up with excuses to take short jaunts.

I look forward to learning a great deal from you all!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    1.) Where you are from?
    My husband and I have lived in Sierra County for about 2 yrs

In the middle

KHS Fat tire bike & a GIANT Mtn Bike

Since my late 20's. We are in our 50's now. Rode more hardcorish the first 15 yrs since the trails were very close to our home.

We only cycle from our house since trying to get back in shape. Rode to Downieville & back a few times within the last few weeks for the first time. To Packer Saddle yesterday. Still getting to know the area. Looking forward to trying the trails out yet need to be in better shape first.

None

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello, hope everyone is safe and surviving these weird times. Iím a 50 yr old newbie near the Outer Banks of NC and Norfolk, Va. Rode BMX bikes non-stop as a kid in the 70s and 80s. Had an entry level Trek 15 yrs ago but was traveling too much for work and eventually sold it. Now I have 4 kids and find myself working on their bikes fairly often.

Decided to buy a used 1996 Gary Fisher Kaitai and am in the process of replacing the grip shift with some triggers. I realize there are some limitations to the steel 26Ē hard tails, but am amazed at how well this bike performs. It clocks in at 28# stock. If I can get rid of the narrow handlebars and improve the shifting it may be a keeper.

Iím also starting to catch the bike building and upgrading bug. Have been reading and studying the different geometries, the classic frames and best new tech out there. Might build a bike from scratch just for fun. Thanks to everyone here who contributes helpful info.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi, everybody! New to the forum... Hope you all are safe and having a good day!

1.) Where you are from?
    Colorado/Utah

Human, haha. Rode a lot when I was younger, but that was a while ago, so we'll see how I do when I get my new bike that is on order...

0 at the moment, but ordered a Ripmo AF so when that arrives it will be 1

for a while now...

Lately, Ibis

mtbr member
    May 2020

Pq

Hi! Relocated from the east Coast in April and aside from the snakes really enjoying the rides in SoCal.
    Since the trails here are shared I bought the Awareness Bell from Chris out of LA. BEST purchase Iíve made so far. Highly recommend to anyone and itís a great courtesy to others in front of you on the trails.

If you have to ask...
    Every time I hear one of those bells I get a strong desire for ice cream.
    It's 7:09 California time

Duck Fonald
    It's a sad thing when a bell is the BEST thing you've ever bought.
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    It's a sad thing when a bell is the BEST thing you've ever bought.
    Yeah, ice cream should be #1. Bell #2.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020

Hello From UK -

Looking for some help with my Specialised Hardrock 2012.
    Want to ask a bunch of questions on what's possible to do with Upgrades.
    Has rim Brakes and from Suspension that need upgrading.

What section shall i use to add this thread?

many thanks

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by DOWNHILLPIZZABOY View Post
    Looking for some help with my Specialised Hardrock 2012.
    Want to ask a bunch of questions on what's possible to do with Upgrades.
    Has rim Brakes and from Suspension that need upgrading.

What section shall i use to add this thread?

many thanks
    Not sure but can you deliver pizza here?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    1.) Where you are from? Clarksville, TN
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Not sure. I just picked up cycling after a very long break, but I was fairly advanced in my youth.
    3.) How many bikes you own? 1 x Cannondale Trail 4
    4.) How long have you been riding? Less that 1 year currently, a couple of decades of BMX in the '80s & '90s.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? I make a single pass once a day over several.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    LOL I totally want to yell "Ice Cream Here" every time I pass people when it's ringing. (Gotta have fun with it!)

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Greetings everyone, from central VA, USA. 80s today and the boys were doing multiple laps through the woods while I installed new pedals and sprayed poison ivy. Hey - how come Dad didn't get to ride?

Hope everyone is doing well, and here's some background:

1.) Where you are from?
    Viriginia now, originally upstate NY

Now - Dad teaching his sons how to ride trails and some road riding
    Used to ride road a lot, singletrack some - now more trails and singletrack. Some years have gone by...

1 of my own, 5 for our family

Many many years

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Greetings everyone, i am a singlespeeder from the netherlands, driving a hardtail with dropper and squisy fork, sometimes rigid but age wise 61 preferring a sus fork lately , hope to gain lots of info about singlespeeders, enjoy riding and keep it going

mtbr member
    May 2020

Hello! just joined

Hi friends,

Just getting back into it after a long hiatus.

Hope to see you on the roads and trails!

jcd's best friend
    Welcome!
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

Out spokin'
    Need photos of your bike.

Seriously, we do. Meanwhile, welcome aboard!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Need photos of your bike.
    And we all know bikes don't balance on their own. Maybe your girlfriend would be willing to hold the bike while you take photos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    Yeah, what Train Wreck said. Trails are ruined because e-bikes are there.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Wow it looks like I'm in the right place.
    So . . . truth is my beloved Kona was stolen and my search for a new bike brought me to this forum. I've ordered an Acme hybrid from Spot in Boulder, but it is backordered. So now I'm looking for a mountain bike that serve as number 2.
    (I'll still use it to commute until my Acme arrives.)
    And currently no girlfriend, so you're all SOL for pics lol.

mtbr member
    May 2020

Hello!

Hi! My name is Bruce Morton. My wife and I ride in Montgomery Alabama (and beyond) on two Raleigh Record Aces we enjoy. Looking forward to occasional chats about various forum subjects.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi this is Mark. I'm back living in California after many years abroad. With the extra pandemic time, I am just getting back to a hobby I left behind in the 1980s - riding bikes and trying to fix them. Things have changed! Glad this resource exists.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello Everyone, This is Kristyn from Chicago, United States

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hello, from Chicago and excited to return to the thril.

hardtail partier
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RyderRider View Post
    I have been looking at a lot of HTs by watching Hardtail Party videos. I will also start looking at a few FS reviews. I am not married to any one thing yet.

Welcome back, and thanks for watching! I agree that keeping an open mind is best. Contrary to the focus on my channel, hardtails aren't the perfect solution for everyone. And beautiful GT!

mtbr member
    May 2020

An old guy

People,
    I am a genuine old guy. I purchased my last bike about 29 years ago. It was a Huffy (made in the USA) and I purchased it for the low price of $69.99 from Sears.

During the Wuhan Flu pandemic, i needed to exercise so I took out my old still functional Huffy and rode it for 15 minutes and slammed it into a fence. The front wheel was twisted so I decided to get a new bike.

Fortunately my next door neighbor is an expert on bicycles. He has biked all of the USA coast to coast not just once but twice. He recommended a bike called Canyon for the low low price of $2,500.00.

And so I headed over to Wal-Mart to get a new bike but they had none. Another friend recommended bikesdirect.com and I was able to purchase a Motobecane 300ht for a very low price. Yes price rather than functionality was my deciding factor.

And for the first day, I was able to ride it without hurting myself or running into people or fences. On Day 2, I decided to get adventuresome and wander out to the trails that are actually built for bicycle and pedestrians. I was able to bike 2 miles without hurting myself or pedestrians.

On Day 3, after riding 1 hour I noticed a royal pain in the butt like you would not believe. And so begins the story of trying to ride a mountain bike for health and exploration. However this is something that makes me happy so I plan to continue.

For now all I need are a pair of shorts that protect my butt and a device to hold my smartphone on the handle bar.

mtbr member
    May 2020

Heya from Ontario

Just introducing myself. I hail from Ontario and middle aging fat guy on a fat bike, but we are working on the first problem and I don't think there's a problem with the second one.

Over the past year or so I have rekindled a love a mountain biking and I am amazed at how good biking makes me feel both physically (just need to lower the carbs and we will trend in the right direction) but especially mentally. There is nothing quite like getting out into the woods at the local conservation areas and tackling the trails to shed away the stresses of the day and set your mind at ease. Even the local city trails, which are a far cry from the challenging conservation areas, are still delightful evening rides in all 4 seasons, rain or shine, often as dark sets in! I'm hooked and I ain't going back.

I guess if I were to have a goal it would be to improve my riding skill and endurance while exploring as many trails in Ontario as I can get too and maybe meet some interesting characters along the way. I love watching some of the GMBN videos and would love to move a little towards there skill, but only a little. I don't know how any of them got to middle aged alive. And then there are the really crazy folks

*edit* Pics say more than words

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20190630_194726.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20200222_151310.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-20200202_144540.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    welcome. yes its awesome. great for stress! keep trying and you will get better everyday. its hard to strengthen and loose weight so focus on riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Another Ontario rider. Cool. Welcome.

No known cure
    As soon as you said you had trails I figured you weren't from Ontario, California. Welcome!
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cool. My brother lives in London and just picked up a bike for riding around. There are some riders on the Riding Passion forum in the "did you ride today" that post pictures from that area every few days.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    You bit on Ontario looks a lot nicer than my bit of Ontario lol

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thank you all for welcoming me

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hello!

Hi - I'm Pablo, italian but now in scotland, riding for 15years, mix of singletrack. recent into the cyclocross. build nice lynskey for this - but klein attitude still has my heart. I love the outside and am happy to cycle any time. I like to be here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hello!

Iím John, from West Virginia. Getting back on my bike after many many years. Glad to be aboard!

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hi! Back tracking on the intro. Is Dave home?- you can call me Dave. Born in the Haight/Frisco - yup I can call it Frisco as I am a true native. Been riding since I was a kid, mountain biking since 1985. Got a few bikes. Ritchey Ultra, Salsa
    a la carte, Merlin Mountain, Klein Palomino, DB Apex, Mikkelsen Custom, Specialized S works Epic HT and a Schwinn Pea Picker. Mt Tam was my home course, but now I ride Garin/Dry Creek on a regular basis. Thanks for havin me!

Just trails
    Jun 2020

Hello all!!

Iím new on here just want to say hi!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hello

Just joined. I'm a 59 year old ex roadie who now spends most of his time off road. I have just started up my own repair / maintenance business in my home town in the UK. Don't worry, I haven't come here to tout for business, I'm just looking for tips on classic restorations, which is the direction I'm looking to go into in the future.
    Looking forward to reading posts and contributing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hi!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Hi!
    Tell us about your bike or what you like to ride.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just trails
    Jun 2020
    I have a 2019 GT Aggressor Pro Blue. I ride trails when Iím allowed 😁
    I ride on the Montour trail and Panhandle trail mostly. Near Pittsburgh. I have been on the Allegheny passage on the south side to Haysville to checkout the eagles. I have been riding for about 10 years. Iím not a Mountain bike person because Iím getting older and I have over 25 years experience in warehouse and inventory experience and I canít do that banged up or with broken bones!! 😂

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hello. Just joined the thread. I used to ride a 2000 Stumpjumper Comp, but stopped after someone stole my drivetrain in 2007. I recently purchased a 2019 Cannondale Trail Tango 2 and a 2020 Cube Analog 27.5 for my teenaged daughters as their first adult bikes. Have been riding their XS bikes on trails behind our neighborhood frequented by 4x4s. Would love to get back into this just for exercise and to get out into the outdoors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hi just joined today. I live on Maine and am about to start riding again. My last bike was a 2000 specialized fsr m4. I rode a lot and was pretty good. Havenít ridden in about 6 or 7 years. Why?another discussion for another day.
    iím looking to buy a new bike. Itís between a Canyon cf sl 9.0 elite or the Fezzari La Sal Peak elite. I know thereís a difference in travel. But I can see the advantages in both.
    i wonít be riding as hard as I did as age is catching up. However I want a really good bike to ride here in the northeast.
    thanks for your help
    steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    1.) SoCal - South of LA, North of the border!
    2.) Beginner
    3.) 1 - Giant Stance 2 29er
    4.) Newb!
    5.) MTBR and PB!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    *stumbles in awkwardly* "Oh, Hi"

I'm new, well that's obvious, I haven't been on a forum in QUITE some time. I'm here because I am getting back in to biking, but MTB this time instead of BMX. Mainly because, well... I'm fat. And in order for me to be less fat, I have to do something that I enjoy because I'm freaking lazy. Anywho, here's the requirements.

1.) Where you are from? North Carolina
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Mountain, freeride, general goof-off-er
    3.) How many bikes you own? 0 yet, hopefully if everything goes as planned tomorrow, 1
    4.) How long have you been riding? Well when I was a kid I rode for as long as I could remember, that is until I got my license.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? None right now. but I have a feeling that this one will quickly become my 2nd home.

- Gear

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Only just noticed this thread, so havenít been rude not adding to it.
    Expat Kiwi living in Oz. Both fantastic countries. Love them both. In my mid 50ís so BMX & mountain bikes hadnít even been invented back when I started out. About 3 1/2 or 4 years of age. So we used to break our standard bicycles bashing around in the scrub, hills, jumps & trails etc.
    Parents moved out into the country, discovered motorcycles, so road bikes became the choice of bicycle for commuting/school etc. Fitted cut down dirt bike handlebars to our 10 speed (2x5 lol) racers, but were too fragile. Broken spokes, buckled wheels & bent steerers were par for the course.
    Fast forward a few years, bought a real cheapo department store ďMTBĒ off a mate 2nd hand, broke/upgraded plenty of parts, relented & upgraded to a 650b Jamis Nemesis. Great bike. Put a few thousand kmís on that, then saw that KTM made mountain bikes. Must have. Carbon Fiber XC 29er. Put over 10,000 kms on that, experimented heaps with different carbon components, drivetrains etc, had just as much fun spannering & modding as riding, so got the itch to build something up from all the spare parts I had laying around.
    Bingo. Funnest. Bike. Ever. Sheís a real mongrel, [email protected]@rd bitser bike, thatís simply great fun to thrash around on. Aluminium frame (Brand X HT01) 27.5 wheels (different brand front & rear, QR rear, thru axle fork) 100mm Fox float 32, XT brakes & crank, 1x11 SLX drivetrain, Carbon bars & seat post, waiting for a lightweight Chinese crankset in the mail, by the time I go tubeless, it should just crack the 10kg barrier. For not very much $$ Did I mention that itís great fun to ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hello everyone, my first post here. Checking in to say hi 👋

Hey everyone, this is my first post in this forum. Iíve been riding a year and a half solid. I ride a Giant Trance 3 29er. I ride PQ, Daley Ranch, Calavera, P mountain, Lake Hodges, Greer Ranch and am going to check out Ted Williams this coming weekend. If anyone has the pin to Ted Williams and/advice on the place hit me up! I know the place is no joke. Where do you start the climb etc?

thanks,

Darren

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hello...just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. Also want to thank everyone for helping me choose and finally purchase my new ride. Stoked to get back on the trails!!

1.) Where you are from? South Florida
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? 45 yr old starting over w/ this new technology
    3.) How many bikes you own? one
    4.) How long have you been riding? My first ride was a Cannondale F700 ( Durango, NC )
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites) Before joining just now, I relied heavily on this forum to help me w/ the purchase of my new bike

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey all,

Joining the forum to be more active in my local scene, want to get into trail building and become a net contributor VT mountain biking

My details
    1.) Originally from CT, lived in California for some time and recently moved to Vermont
    2.) All mountain / Trail riding, though I have done both XC and Enduro races before
    3.) I own 2 bikes, a gravel and a mountain bike
    4.) I've been mountain biking since 2015. I started attending a local company's weeknight social rides in Annadel State Park and enjoyed it enough to go buy a bike. Mostly rode the trails on Mt. Sutro in San Francisco to learn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hello from Vancouver Canada!

Hola!

Currently have a vintage 1992 Manitou FS bike and a 2013 Vanhawks Valour carbon hybrid bike with Gates carbon drive.

Looking to upgrade my new Salsa Mukluk into a kickass machine!

Ed

jcd's best friend
    Welcome! I'm just south of you in WA!
    Cannondale Synapse Neo | Salsa Timberjack

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks Batt! Looking forward to learning more on the forums.

Rippin da fAt
    Welcome, bitnaut!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thanks Banshee!

Rippin da fAt
    You're welcome!
    Doctor recommended...

k00k
    Jun 2020
    Hello all...Time for another n00b to check in and say hello

• Currently, I live in the PNW, Cascade Locks to be more specific.
    • I used to do a lot of road cycling & club racing back in the day when I lived in Hawaii. Cat 5, nothing even remotely spectacular.
    • I bought my first mountain bike ever, thanks to the Corona-Stimulus. Ended up using an ExpertVoice deal to grab a Diamondback Catch 1. I must say, I really like the bike.
    • Ride of choice is always Post Canyon in Hood River, but there's a nice beginner friendly trail near my house, EasyClimb, that I take the kids on, or knock out a few laps after work.
    • So I guess I find myself in the "Trail/All-Mtn" category?

Thanks for having me, hope to learn a bunch and apologies in advance for being such a k00k...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hello! Just deciding to join.

1.) All over, but currently in Mesa, AZ.
    2.) Started off in road biking, now starting to transition as I got a nice gravel/cyclocross last year and have been doing some smooth doubltrack trails. But I would like to do all mountain trail. So I'll need a full suspension bike for that.
    3.) 4: 93 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone 9, 2004 Giant Yukon

Now I'm starting a real build, or closer to real. Looking at a carbon generic frame and going 140/120mm travel and 27.5"
    4.) 15+
    5.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey everyone.

New to the forum. Been riding bicycles off and on since 1985...was in my twenties then...so that tells you how old I am now.

Mostly some single track trails (fairly tame) around Memphis TN...and I quit lookin at my watch a long time ago.

I ride a Scott Scale 29'r most of the time...but I have a 25 year old Cannondale F500 and I am trying to refresh it ...because I still like riding it from time to time too.....that's what led me to the forum(s).

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

New to forum, hello!!

Hi everyone!
    New to this forum and wanted to intro myself.

Currently living in Denver working as a software dev. Try to hit foothill trails during the week and deeper in the mtns on the weekends!

I just created a YouTube page to share my bike adventures, check it out and subscribe! I plan on making more and more vids this Summer/Fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYFYfAkRk4c

Happy trails!
    New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-gopr0217-2.jpg
    New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-imgonline-com-ua-transparent-background-fr1ftjqu8hvudx.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hope

Hiya folks! Newbie post from Derbyshire, United Kingdom

In response to the common introductory questions:

1.) Where you are from?
    Born in a town called Heanor which is in the beautiful county of Derbyshire, here in the Midlands of the United Kingdom. Recently moved into a new home with my partner and her 4 kids about 3 miles down the road so now on the edge of Ilkeston if anyone knows the area. I'm lucky to have a few great parks and some nice trails and tracks to have fun on within a few minutes ride. I've spent over 30 years in the print, graphics and photography industries, am a total tech head, an Apple specialist and currently run my own IT business.

Restarter! Seriously I've just turned 49 and the last time I rode a bike seriously was when I was racing BMX about 30 years ago. Got back on the bike due to need for some regular exercise and wanting to get out in the fresh air either on my own or with the family.

Just the one at the mo! Picked up my first bike in twenty-odd years in May as it was my birthday. I wasn't looking to spend too much as I wasn't sure how much use it would get or if I was up to tackling it after so many years out of the saddle.

I was lucky enough to come across a 2000 Gary Fisher Big Sur going for £150 on our local Facebook Marketplace. Did my research, realised that this could be worth a look and picked it up the next day as it seemed to tick all the boxes.

Overall I'm really happy with my new steed and average between 10-12 miles each evening on it. It puts a smile on my face every time I ride it and although the Big Sur might be a 'vintage' compared to many bikes on here but I love the ride it gives and it climbs like a monkey up a tree which is good as I cover a lot of hills around these parts!

Main issue is knowing what forks I can replace the aging Manitous with as they don't have a lock-off and seem to be rather soft and stodgy. I also need to know what spec the headset bearings are as I've been told the ones on mine could probably do with replacing.

Oh, and one last bit, is there anyway I can raise the height of the bars which are currently on top of their stacking spacers and maybe shorten the reach by an inch or so - I just feel I'm reaching a little low and long if you get me.

I know these are probably daft newbie questions but I consider myself a newbie and am always willing to learn so fire away!

As I said above, I started in May this year after a 30 odd year gap so I guess the answer it not long time but very long time!

Not sure yet but probably the mountain bike / trail sections as well as the vintage and general ones.

Look forward to chatting to you all and if there's anyone local to me then please shout up and say hello!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-img_2423-bike-sunset-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Greetings From malaysia

Hello there.
    1st of all,Sorry for my broken English,its my 2nd language.

I'm Haqiem.

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share)
    - I'm from Johor,Malaysia

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...)
    - I consider myself a trail rider.I hate riding on road.The unnecessary risk is too high for my liking if compared with riding offroad.

- Only 1 right now..a generic Taiwanese bike=)..Marin San Quentin 3 coming in a few months time,hopefully.

- Started riding on 2018.It's all started with my uncle's Spesh Fatboy. Then I get bitten by MTB bug,bought my own bike (cheap ass Taiwanese),upgrade where necessary(bar,stem,grip,1x conversion).It's not financially appropriate to upgrade the bike,but I do it for the DIY experience. MTB is more than riding a bikes afterall..

5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)
    Only MTBR.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey, New to the forum,

1.) Where you are from?- Long Beach, CA

2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself?- Beginner looking to hit as many trails as possible and wanting to learn and get better.

3.) How many bikes you own? 1 Specialized HT Carbon. Already researching a second.

4.) How long have you been riding? 2018

5.) What forums do you frequent most? this is my first one.

I look forward in learning a lot about the community.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    1.) Where you are from? NE Michigan, USA, small town called Mikado
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? General trail, local stuff, no riding groups around that know of or I'd try to join.
    3.) How many bikes you own? One, Trek Fuel 100, full suspension. I'm old so I need the soft ride.
    4.) How long have you been riding? About 15 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is only one

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hello Everyone!

Just saying "Hi". First post. I've been riding the same Diamondback Ascent EX since I got it new in 1995. (is there a "cheap bastard" emoji?).

I just got a new bike "in the mail", from bikesonline.com, a Polygon Diablo. All I can say is Holy Time Warp Batman!

It took me 3 hours to put it together (should have been 15 minutes since it was 90% assembled) just because I was so amazed at how much things have changed. Disc brakes, thru-axles, dropper post, 29" wheels...it was a little intimidating. Even the riding position is a whole new world. I was lucky I had a presta compatible pump I bought by accident 10 years ago to fill the tires!

Anyways, I'm excited to try the trails near me with the new bike. It had gotten to the point that folks were saying "You got out here on that?!?!"

So, hello everyone. Hopefully I can post an update or something soon. I'm sure at some point to say something dumb(er). So, yah, that's about it for now.

Does any one else stress over spelling and grammar in these forums?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-diamondb.jpg  

New Users Check in Here - official introductions thread-diablo.jpg  

Rippin da fAt
    Yus, times have changed significantly. Rim scrubbers, how primative! I still have a 1998 Stinger 3" travel bike with em. They work but disc is the better way of quality stopping power. 12 speed... Electronic shifting, i'll pass on that one!

Internal gear hub or Pinion drive would be nice to experience tho'.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Yus, times have changed significantly. Rim scrubbers, how primative! I still have a 1998 Stinger 3" travel bike with em. They work but disc is the better way of quality stopping power. 12 speed... Electronic shifting, i'll pass on that one!

Internal gear hub or Pinion drive would be nice to experience tho'.
    I have no idea what those things are now but I am hoping to expand my knowledge and up my game over time.

Rippin da fAt
    You will gain much here, N8!

Internal gear hub eliminates derailleurs and does the deed with gears inside a rear hub. Clean and tidy. Pinion is a gear box that resides in a special frame mount that replaces the traditional bottom bracket. Again, very clean and tidy. With either, you can switch gears when you are not moving as well as when you are on the move.

The 1998 Stinger is a macphereson strut suspension design that was extremely light and agile.

Welcome to the fray!
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox5flyer View Post
    1.) Where you are from? NE Michigan, USA, small town called Mikado
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? General trail, local stuff, no riding groups around that know of or I'd try to join.
    3.) How many bikes you own? One, Trek Fuel 100, full suspension. I'm old so I need the soft ride.
    4.) How long have you been riding? About 15 years
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is only one
    wow...you are relatively close to where my wife's family has some cabins. We spend some summers in/near the South Branch/Rose City area! We often cam at the Rifle River Re area, and I ride those trails! We are going to Mackinac this summer, or I would try to see if we could ride!

I am looking for some retirement home/land possibilites in that area as I think it is really awesome!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    You will gain much here, N8!

Internal gear hub eliminates derailleurs and does the deed with gears inside a rear hub. Clean and tidy. Pinion is a gear box that resides in a special frame mount that replaces the traditional bottom bracket. Again, very clean and tidy. With either, you can switch gears when you are not moving as well as when you are on the move.

The 1998 Stinger is a macphereson strut suspension design that was extremely light and agile.

Welcome to the fray!
    Thanks for taking the time to explain that and thanks for the welcome!

Rippin da fAt
    You're quite welcome, N8.
    Doctor recommended...

Snow Dog
    where are you from N8? Don't forget to post pics of your rides here :

https://forums.mtbr.com/riding-passi...988566-50.html

hope you get as much from this forum as I have!!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Hope New

Hello cyclists! I am new, a lapsed cyclist of many years standing. Overweight and old but enjoying my return to two wheels in the wilds of Wiltshire. My fighter is a Specialized 29er and I love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020

... and if we just ... New to MTBR but not riding

Hi,

Just joined today so thought I'd come and say hi. To be honest I do have a question but I will post that in the relevant forum. I have recently started to ride to work on my 2000 Kona Roast. Its a 23 mile round trip so I am certainly getting my exercise!

Since starting to ride almost daily (4 on 4 off shift pattern) the bike has had so many upgrades that it is now only the frame and wheels which remain the same as when I bought the bike 3 years ago. I have recently taken the Kona out on my local trail (Cann woods near Plymouth) and quickly realised that no amount of watching YouTube videos can prepare you for single-track if you have not ridden them before. My previous experience was mainly BMX, and as a kid I was always out on my bike either zooming around with friends or practising tricks down the local skate-park . However, it seems that even if you never forget how to ride a bike, it is very possible to forget how to do the simplest of 'tricks' such as riding with no hands. Where did my balance go?

I look forward to reading everyone's posts and hopefully getting some answers for the questions I post from people more knowledgeable than myself. As mentioned I do have a question which I will be posting shortly so if there is anyone with knowledge of headsets then please help a fellow mtbr out.

ATB

Dayv.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Welcome back! I took 20 years off to raise my kids. Got back in in my mid-fifties. Lost 40 pounds over three years and still loving riding in 70th year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    What's up guys. I just got into MTB and am looking forward to learning and riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    1.) Where you are you from? New Orleans
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Beginner
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2
    4.) How long have you been riding? 6 months
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? This is my first bike forum

Rippin da fAt
    Dayv, welcome to the fray!

Frankly, it will take some time to get the bike stuff going again and start a good progression. Tons of practice is on tap. Much can be done in the front yard when you don't have time for a real ride. Work your way up in moderation to keep it from overwhelming you while still making progress.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Howdy. As I recall my learning curve, it was long and slow. A key thing for me was learning to to let the bike move under me to go over stuff while my body remained relatively balanced and isolated from the bike. For example, when the front is about to go over a rock, I anticipate the bars coming up so I relax my arms and shift my body forward a bit, more forward if also climbing. When its the rear tire's turn, I allow my legs to flex to absorb the motion. I call this whole thing "dancing with the rocks". Of course, there's other skills to riding, but for me, in rocky-rooty new England, maintaining balance and momentum over obstacles was the biggest thing.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

CEO Product Failure
    Welcome to the ranks of fellow MAMIL's: middle aged men in lycra.

You're never too old to ride a bike. Keep calm and pedal on!

Beginner

Beginner

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

We the people ...

1.) Where you are you from? San Jose, CA
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Intermediate
    3.) How many bikes you own? 1 bmx bike
    4.) How long have you been riding? Rode bmx every day in high school and then stopped ride after high school, so its been a solid 18 years.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? I'll probably be frequenting the gravel, mtb and regional forums the most.

Hi all! my name is Josh! Looking forward to getting back into riding. I picked up a used bmx bike just so I can ride around with my daughter and now that there has been an explosion in demand for bicycles, I'm looking to get into some gravel and road riding. Maybe I take back the 18 year hiatus because I've been riding my dirt bike off and on for the last 5 years...

I am generally a technical person and tend to want to be 'book smart' when getting myself into new or back into old hobbies. For instance, I'm trying to hunt down a new spech diverge comp carbon but I really want a 1x12 setup. So I've been scouring trying to figure out who makes the hubs on the new diverge and seeing if its compatible with Shimano's micro spline free hub. Then I realized that Shimano doesn't make 12speed road shifters, yet. I think I know SRAM has some shifters but I've been a Shimano fanboy since back when I used to wrench on bikes at my LBS while in high school.

Anyways. I hope everyone is staying safe and mentally healthy in this crazy dream we're living in!

-Joshua

MaisyDaisy
    Jul 2020

Hi there

This is maisie and i just love posting fun stuff, well-researched topics and relationship advice. i own a steel alloy racing cycle with 27 1/4 wheels and its very sturdy. i just hate the stand, doesn't really do the job, just there for show

Duck Fonald
    Try moving your cleats forward.
    ďThe further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.Ē

George Orwell

Cycologist
    I think you've already disproven the "well-researched topics" thing. But I'm looking forward to the relationship advice.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I think you've already disproven the "well-researched topics" thing. But I'm looking forward to the relationship advice.
    C'mon Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone Patriot (CHAZPat), lighten up a bit! I get all of my relationship advice from MTBR and Reddit.
    dang

9 lives
    Welcome maisiewilliams! I'm glad you will be posting fun stuff, well-researched topics and relationship advice... and you own a racing cycle! Pics please!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi All, been lurking for a few weeks just getting round to actually posting.
    I'm a Masshole currently residing in FL. Moved to be near family but year-round riding factored in the decision. I'm a roadie/triathlete who's been itching to ride off road for a few years. Ordered a Salsa Journeyman as a 'do it all' bike on a budget, picking it up tomorrow. Along with my roadie that will be 2 bikes total. I'd own more, wife says no. She's pissed about the 2nd bike as it is...

Looking forward to getting off the pavement, trying some bikepacking, and just exploring without worrying about pavement.

mtbr member

Hi there....

1.) Where you are from? Southern Cali
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Casual & Complete noob status lol
    4.) How long have you been riding? My whole life lol, but more recently only a few month getting back into it, mainly for fitness - I'm not competitive by all means
    5.) What forums do you frequent? This one so far

Hi all,
    Recently got back into biking mainly for fitness reasons & picked up a fat bike from a buyers app - got a low low deal and I am currently upgrading & doing a weight reduction to get the bike up to par - I was skeptical at first with a fat bike, but always wanted one, so after riding one I was hooked...lol Even though it's a behemoth, I do enjoy riding it and it gives me a killer workout...lol so here's my cruiser fattie - Mongoose Dolomite

Attachment 1346805

Upcoming upgrades: 8 speed drive train w Trigger shifter, Brakes, Lighter wheels, Shwalbe JJ tubeless setup

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Intro post

Hi Everyone

1.) Where you are from? Middle of North Dakota
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? Fat Beginner
    4.) How long have you been riding? Main means of travel when I was little. And now quite a bit with the kids. Not much in between
    5.) What forums do you frequent? I canít really say yet

Thanks in advance to for any help/comments! Iíve been biking more and more lately, mostly because of my kids and with a trailer attached to my backside. . I live in about the flattest place on earth but there are some areas within driving distance I can get to. I have zero knowledge on bike repair/upgrading, but I enjoy tinkering with things and picked up an old bike to do just that!
    The bike is an early 2000ís Santa Cruz Bullit, Large frame. It has a Manitou Nixon front end and Fox Vanilla rear. Iíd like to update it, with a cross country emphasis in mind. Goals would be to lighten it up, get 27.5+ on it (from my zero knowledge googling 29s wonít work, but if they could...), potentially a 1x drive train if it needs to happen because of the wheel swap.
    Budget: economy is the goal. Stuff doesnít have to be cutting edge or new. Just a fun project to get my feet wet. I know the bike isnít ideal for the intended purpose, but itís what I have and the building/learning/fun is the main thing.
    Iím 5 10, 205, and 42 yrs old.
    Iíll post the question on the Santa Cruz specific thread as well. I did a search and found some relatively close posts, but the newest was not very new
    Thanks again!
    Adam

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

old noob

hi all,just joined the forum,looking forward to learning from everyone.im 62 now,riding cheapo mountain bikes on and off for years...last four years just cruising around town on my Walmart bike genesis 29er,,i got a park work stand and am restoring my sons mongoose 29..having a blast and found an old sears free spirit in the garbage in surprisingly good shape..gonna gut that one too,maybe make it a single speed.maybe in a year or so ill upgrade to a better quality bike for now im doing fine and having fun..and learning of all the added health benefits of cycling..thats a bonus...well thanks for having me...later

mtbr member
    Well, then welcome! I presume that you ride a bike with round wheels and two or more pedals, so you have found your people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hi,
    Iím Rob

1.) Where you are from? (as specific as you care to share) perth, Western Australia (the state with no mountains)
    2.) What kind of rider do you consider yourself? (ex: beginner, weekend warrior, all mtn/trail rider, XC racer, downhiller, singlespeeder, 29er rider, etc...) definite on and off weekend warrior, need to get the time and motivation to do more
    3.) How many bikes you own? 2 (and a project bike but that doesnít count does it)
    4.) How long have you been riding? 20 years on and off, every time I break myself too badly I take a break from the MTB and go back to road for a while.
    5.) What forums do you frequent most? (either here or on other sites)
    29ers (as the owner of the worst 29er ever Iím keen to get a decent one)

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Hi everyone, longtime lurker and finally signed up. Iíve been around bikes all my life and was a professional bike mechanic for nearly 20 years. I switched to cartography as my main profession and sew custom gear and packs on the side to fund my 2 wheeled adventures. I live in Evergreen, Colorado and am fortunate to have rad trails right from home. Glad to be part of the MTBR community!

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849