New Removable Helmet Strap Technology- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

New Removable Helmet Strap Technology

Hello All,

Iím a small business owner. My company has developed a unique clip system that allows you to safely remove the neck strap from the helmet for cleaning, or exchanging of other strap systems. As a cyclist myself, I know first hand how dirty & smelly the strap can get, and how difficult it is to clean due to the straps being permanently attached to the helmet.

We introduced this technology at Interbike 2014, ,and received a lot of positive feedback from several helmet companies. We are hopeful this technology will be available to the public in 2016. This system has also passed CPSC, ASTM 2040 & Military helmet retention requirements.

Would you prefer this technology on future production bike helmets?

Thanks for your input or comments,

Brad

banned
    That would be Awesome.

Rollin' a fatty
    Will retrofitting an existing helmet be an option or just new helmets with the removable straps?

Your Best Friend
    I go through a new helmet every 1 to 1 1/2 years. Never clean the strap in the interim and don't really care about it. I spend a ton of time wearing my helmets and the time I keep one is just about its usable lifespan. Having replaceable or removable straps would just add cost, complexity and weight to a helmet. It would also be a non-factor in my helmet buying decision making process. Good luck with it though. I like innovation.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

SS Pusher Man
    A little water and some dish soap and a couple of minutes and the helmet straps are clean. About and hour later they are dry. No need to remove them.

I agree with the poster above....helmets have a short life span anyway and are getting too expensive. Don't need another gimmick to drive up the price.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    I'm also a fan of innovation, but this option wouldn't sway me in my decision making process.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    I can't recall ever washing the straps on my helmet.

I don't remember ever washing my helmet. I guess if it gets muddy I would rinse it off with water.

I wash my bike, but now I'm wondering if I ever wash my shorts...

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

since 4/10/2009
    I also cannot ever recall feeling like my helmet straps were gross. My helmet always gets replaced before then because of age or a crash.

Such a feature would not sway any future helmet purchases for me, except for maybe avoiding it if it added cost.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I don't think I'd use this. I do wash off my helmet occasionally, and use dish soap on the strap, and it keeps it clean (or just take it in the shower and clean it off while I'm showering off). It only takes 2-3 minutes to clean every few weeks, though, so I don't see buying something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i would like something like this, especially if it comes with a system that is improves setting the length of the strap and the buckle.

if it is just for washing purposes and either the same process and buckling, I'd still consider but it might not be worth it.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    This is not a problem for me. I'm fine with a normal strap.

mtbr member
    As others have said, I love innovation - especially in areas that have seen little, such as helmets. But, this sort of feels like an answer to a question no one's asking. At least, I've never asked it, and I've never heard of any complaints about dirty, smelly helmet straps from riding buddies. Sorry man.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    I'd probably loose the straps if they weren't permanently attached.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

This system would only be available on future OEM helmets, direct from the manufacturer.

Our internal female part that's inlayed in EPS foam, is actually lighter than the plastic/metal permanent piece mount used in current helmet designs. Our part is 100% high strength ABS plastic. The only additional parts with our system would be 3 or 4(depending on helmet style) small flat wedge ABS male parts that the strap webbing ends are sewn onto.

As far as a potential cost increase to the overall helmet, that would be up to the manufacturer. This system wouldn't add any additional assembly time at the factory, if anything it should simplify the webbing assembly process altogether. Currently, the webbing ends are sewn in a circular loop, then the factory worker slides a metal bar through and has to fish into permanent EPS mount.With our system, the webbing ends would be sewn directly onto slotted wedge clips, making the process less tedious.

The other potential for this technology would be OEM helmet companies offering stand alone neck strap systems

I'd rather be on my bike
    This might seem like a dumb question, but aren't most helmet straps black? Even if they were dirty, could you even notice? I have a white helmet with a grey strap, and that shows some dirt when it gets dirty. I should wash it because I really do not want to replace the helmet at this point but then again, noticing that it might be dirty wasn't high on my list.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Would rather have removable pads inside the helmet, such that removing and washing them didn't degrade the pad or ability to stick back in the helmet. Especially with full-face helmets.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    I'd probably loose the straps if they weren't permanently attached.
    Kubikeman, I understand your concerns. This system requires effort to unlock from the helmet. The internal liner would have to be removed, which can also be snapped onto our system and adds additional security. We've also tested the ratchet basket systems and snapping the front attachment points to our front wedge clips.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    This might seem like a dumb question, but aren't most helmet straps black? Even if they were dirty, could you even notice? I have a white helmet with a grey strap, and that shows some dirt when it gets dirty. I should wash it because I really do not want to replace the helmet at this point but then again, noticing that it might be dirty wasn't high on my list.
    Yes, most are black but we've seen many straps in variuos colors, depends on the manufacturer. Cleaning the strap is optional, and our system makes it easier. We understand this new technology won't necessarily relate to everyone.

Caca pasa
    Does this make adjustability any easier? I visited my sister out of town and one of the things that she had me do when I got there was adjust the straps on her helmet because she couldn't do it.

And the only 'dirt' I've ever seen on my straps was actually dried sweat, which never concerned me. But they did get a little stiff with age, unlike me.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Comp View Post
    Kubikeman, I understand your concerns. This system requires effort to unlock from the helmet. The internal liner would have to be removed, which can also be snapped onto our system and adds additional security. We've also tested the ratchet basket systems and snapping the front attachment points to our front wedge clips.
    Oh, I didn't mean loose them on the trail. I have no doubt whatever you came up with is probably durable and secure. I'm talking about after washing them. If I don't put them back on right away, it'd probably end up loosing them somewhere in the laundry.
    The cake is a lie.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean loose them on the trail. I have no doubt whatever you came up with is probably durable and secure. I'm talking about after washing them. If I don't put them back on right away, it'd probably end up loosing them somewhere in the laundry.
    Yeah, we have enough stuff to worry about- can you imagine getting to the trailhead and realizing you forgot your freaking helmet straps??

Rabid Lana Fan
    Will removable helmet straps be specific to 29er riders? Or can the 1% use them, too?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm way to conditioned to just see my helmet in the trunk and know it's there and ready to go. Nope, I don't want this added "complexity" in the scheme of all the other crap I bring with me. Is my helmet strap attached? Damn, the way I'm headed I'll be forgetting to bring my damn bike before long.

Caca pasa
    Yeah, I could see certain people getting more than one strap for a helmet; pink for a cancer ride or a ride with the gf, purple if you're Prince, red if you're Sammy Hagar, rainbow if you're, er, Mork.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by challybert View Post
    I'm way to conditioned to just see my helmet in the trunk and know it's there and ready to go. Nope, I don't want this added "complexity" in the scheme of all the other crap I bring with me. Is my helmet strap attached? Damn, the way I'm headed I'll be forgetting to bring my damn bike before long.
    I was riding to the trailhead with a bud, talking to another bud on the phone. Suddenly the guy on the other end looked in his rear view mirror and his bike wasn't there. He had forgotten to put it on at home. D'oh!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Not trying to re-invent the 26, 27.5 or 29" wheel here...

The Military, Football & Hockey industries all offer removable strap systems for various reasons. We originally developed this technology for one of those industries, and believe the cycling industry may also benefit from same technology whether it's for cleaning, replacement or customization purposes. As originally stated, for me personally I clean my strap including the helmet liner from time to time because it gets saturated with sweat & dirt, and it's not easy to clean the strap because of the permanent attachment to helmet.

Here are some images, and thanks for the feedback
    New Removable Helmet Strap Technology-screen-shot-2014-09-19-12.51.31-pm.jpgNew Removable Helmet Strap Technology-screen-shot-2014-10-17-3.04.41-pm.jpgNew Removable Helmet Strap Technology-screen-shot-2014-09-30-12.53.40-pm.jpgNew Removable Helmet Strap Technology-screen-shot-2014-10-17-3.08.03-pm.jpg

Rabid Lana Fan
    Don't get me wrong, I would love removable helmet straps.

But I still ride 26" wheels, though. I'm not sure I'm ready to move to 29er just so I can have removable helmet straps.

I wouldn't sweat it, though. You'll probably be able to convince 99% of the MTB market that they need removable helmet straps.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it, though. You'll probably be able to convince 99% of the MTB market that they need removable helmet straps.
    Actually this may be more appealing to the road bike community.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

Rabid Lana Fan
    I'm hoping that once this takes off, the helmet industry will be blowing out their remaining stock of PFS helmets at huge discounts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I could throw the helmet in with a load of towels, or even clothes, and not have it get all tangled up into a twisted mess? Cool!

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Popper View Post
    So I could throw the helmet in with a load of towels, or even clothes, and not have it get all tangled up into a twisted mess? Cool!
    Just don't put it in the dryer!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You really want this to take off? Make it possible to switch out colors. Many riders like the color coordination.

I'd like to be able to wash the helmet straps. Specialy since my helmet is getting up there in years.

And for those who think they need to replace their helmet every two years:

When to Replace a Helmet?

These guys are saying that helmets last longer than that.

EMBA Member
    I occasionally dump a bunch of water in a large bucket, submerge my helmet in it, and shake and scrub vigorously. Does the job well enough for me. I kinda like the scrungy dirty smelly outlaw mountain biker image anyway. Looking and smelling bad imparts status where I ride - so long as your bike looks well maintained, that is. Spic and span clean is for the roadie crowd.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also, give it bluetooth. It doesn't matter if it does anything, just give it bluetooth to your phone.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Actually this may be more appealing to the road bike community.

John
    This ^^^^ 100% agree on.
    The mtb crowd aren't as prissy about our sweaty straps. We even let our Awesome Straps collect dirt without a care in the world. Rebels we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That's an interesting proposal, I can see it for military where you can switch from chin cup style to Under chin style. Not so sure about bicycle. I wouldn't complain about it if it costs the same, but I don't think if a helmet had it or not would sway my buying decision. I do wash my helmet pads almost every ride and wash the helmet & straps in the shower often also. We have hot humid conditions here. Being able to toss straps in wash along with pads would be nice, but I have on occasion also gone for a ride to discover I forgot to grab the pads of the drying line. Piece of cloth fixed that, but it'd be hard to McGyver straps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This ^^^^ 100% agree on.
    The mtb crowd aren't as prissy about our sweaty straps. We even let our Awesome Straps collect dirt without a care in the world. Rebels we are.
    Speak for yourself, I remove my awesome strap after each ride and wash it gently with woolite, then pat it dry with a clean terrycloth towel. Its the most awesome component on my bike, you better bet I'm keeping it clean.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

my helmet straps are salty, crusty and a bit gross.

if i ever decide to wash, i won't worry about getting the entire helmet wet though. and even if i did have a helmet with removable straps, i most likely wouldn't remove them for whatever limited cleaning i'd be doing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by nomit View Post
    my helmet straps are salty, crusty and a bit gross.

if i ever decide to wash, i won't worry about getting the entire helmet wet though. and even if i did have a helmet with removable straps, i most likely wouldn't remove them for whatever limited cleaning i'd be doing.
    Mine get that way too. I just hose the sucker down and it's good to go. Maybe a little finger scrubbing once in awhile. To be honest, I just get bored of my helmet after a 2-3 years (if I don't break it). I ride a new bike into the ground, usually over a decade. A new helmet...ah, a fresh start.