New here, but... also not...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6

    New here, but... also not...

    Haven't been on this forum in like 8 years..

    I used to work for Chumba years ago during that shit show, but I've finally been un-traumatized from that nightmare and figured I might enjoy getting back on a bike and could use the info here. Also, shed some light on the terrors of circa 2010 chumba lol

  2. #2
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,780
    Quote Originally Posted by MettaWorldBeef View Post
    Haven't been on this forum in like 8 years..

    I used to work for Chumba years ago during that shit show, but I've finally been un-traumatized from that nightmare and figured I might enjoy getting back on a bike and could use the info here. Also, shed some light on the terrors of circa 2010 chumba lol
    Shed away. Ah loves me some good gossip.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Shed away. Ah loves me some good gossip.
    =sParty

    It would be easier to answer questions than type out 10 pages of my experience there, which was interesting to say the least.

    I've noticed that the subforum for that brand is gone.

    Anyways, for starters, at one point, it was just two of us working there, me (18) and the big boss in a 1500 sq ft office.

    The work environment was similar, if not worse than the customer service that was offered.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,092
    Was he a bad boss?

  5. #5
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,780
    Quote Originally Posted by MettaWorldBeef View Post
    It would be easier to answer questions than type out 10 pages of my experience there, which was interesting to say the least.

    I've noticed that the subforum for that brand is gone.

    Anyways, for starters, at one point, it was just two of us working there, me (18) and the big boss in a 1500 sq ft office.

    The work environment was similar, if not worse than the customer service that was offered.
    It's hard to ask specific questions since I have zero idea what you're talking about when you say trauma, nightmare & terror. But here's one: what the heck did you go through that made life there so awful? Thanks.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  6. #6
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,203
    Quote Originally Posted by MettaWorldBeef View Post
    Haven't been on this forum in like 8 years..

    I used to work for Chumba years ago during that shit show, but I've finally been un-traumatized from that nightmare and figured I might enjoy getting back on a bike and could use the info here. Also, shed some light on the terrors of circa 2010 chumba lol
    What the heck are you talking about???

  7. #7
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,799
    Just take a seat on the couch and recall your memories from 10 years ago. I charge an hourly rate.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,727
    You may not want to vent openly about your previous employer out here for various reasons...
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  9. #9
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    You may not want to vent openly about your previous employer out here for various reasons...
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  10. #10
    jcd's best friend
    Reputation: Battery's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,807
    Where's Picard when we need him!
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

  11. #11
    Combat Wombat
    Reputation: BrianU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,527
    Interesting to hear this from the OP. Over in the SS forum, nothing but great things about Chumba and their bikes.

  12. #12
    achiever
    Reputation: redwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    Interesting to hear this from the OP. Over in the SS forum, nothing but great things about Chumba and their bikes.
    I could well be wrong incorrect in the details but to the best of my knowledge, Chumba Racing in CA was the original company & some time around 2014 it changed hands & was reborn as Chumba Bikes in Austin, TX.

  13. #13
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,738
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU View Post
    Interesting to hear this from the OP. Over in the SS forum, nothing but great things about Chumba and their bikes.
    Same company in name only
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    I'm not here to maliciously bash anyone or that bike company.

    The boss was definitely quirky lol and genuinely a nice person.

    When it was just me working in the whole entire office space he made me work in a cubical

    There were two, one facing the large window and one the wall (mine) One day I decided to switch to the one facing the window, because of obvious reason and re required that I only occupy the one facing the wall

    Also, during my time there, staff gradually left until I was the only one there besides the boss. So, I was completely overwhelmed doing almost everything trying to keep that place going. I was 18 and in college at the time, so it was A LOT.

    I did notice Chumba has been reborn in TX

    I will say this, they had great bikes and I was spoiled enough to be riding those bikes when first getting into mountain biking through that job!

  15. #15
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,780
    Quote Originally Posted by MettaWorldBeef View Post
    I'm not here to maliciously bash anyone or that bike company.

    The boss was definitely quirky lol and genuinely a nice person.

    When it was just me working in the whole entire office space he made me work in a cubical

    There were two, one facing the large window and one the wall (mine) One day I decided to switch to the one facing the window, because of obvious reason and re required that I only occupy the one facing the wall

    Also, during my time there, staff gradually left until I was the only one there besides the boss. So, I was completely overwhelmed doing almost everything trying to keep that place going. I was 18 and in college at the time, so it was A LOT.

    I did notice Chumba has been reborn in TX

    I will say this, they had great bikes and I was spoiled enough to be riding those bikes when first getting into mountain biking through that job!
    How old are you now?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  16. #16
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    Some of y'all need a history lesson.

    The short of it:

    There have been some absolutely unreal exchanges on mtbr over the years between manufacturers and customers. Most were nasty enough that all of the content is gone, and quite a few of the people involved were perma-banned.

    The original Chumba was one of those, but far from the first.

    I was only vaguely aware of it at the time, so I don't know any of the specifics. I just know it happened.

    I also agree that it's not good to post negative things (even if they're true) about one's former employer.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,047
    I remember some of the Chumba soap opera, here and elsewhere. I think him and Ellsworth were two of the most toxic manufacturers I can think of. Weird both their names live on... doesn't really lend credence to a saturated market.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  18. #18
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I remember some of the Chumba soap opera, here and elsewhere. I think him and Ellsworth were two of the most toxic manufacturers I can think of. Weird both their names live on... doesn't really lend credence to a saturated market.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    Ibex was another one. An early direct-to-consumer brand that had some problems with how they treated customers.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    I'm genuinely surprised someone kept the name going...

    Yeah, the customer service was also all on my plate, and I was given the infamous name Oscar De la Sol HAHAHA...

    Jesus christ..

    I'm 28 now, so it's been a good while since all that.

    I pulled out my bike the other day and got a spark of motivation and inspiration to get back into it.

  20. #20
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,742
    I always thought they had steep head tubes but my friend Dave, who got support from Chumba won a handful of California St DH and Super D series titles on those bikes.

    RIP Dave
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  21. #21
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Some of y'all need a history lesson.

    The short of it:

    There have been some absolutely unreal exchanges on mtbr over the years between manufacturers and customers. Most were nasty enough that all of the content is gone, and quite a few of the people involved were perma-banned.

    The original Chumba was one of those, but far from the first.

    I was only vaguely aware of it at the time, so I don't know any of the specifics. I just know it happened.

    I also agree that it's not good to post negative things (even if they're true) about one's former employer.
    Seriously. I’m surprised to read so many posters had no idea of that mess. I followed most of it. Holy moly.

  22. #22
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2,822
    Why are we bring this shit back? Talking 10 years ago? Bury the ****ing hatchet!

  23. #23
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Why are we bring this shit back? Talking 10 years ago? Bury the ****ing hatchet!
    Hey, at least it's not another useless Ritard thread.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Why are we bring this shit back? Talking 10 years ago? Bury the ****ing hatchet!
    I hear yah

    Anyways, wow the stuff on the market now is pretty different. So, 27.5" standard small diameter now?

    I have a couple old FS 26" frames, but is it even worth it to build one?

  25. #25
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,993
    So, um, what type of riding do you want to do?
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

  26. #26
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,742
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Why are we bring this shit back? Talking 10 years ago? Bury the ****ing hatchet!
    Mountain biking has always been fringe and bad behavior in the industry needs to not be forgotten. Shady dealings, not honoring warranties, faulty full sus designs that collapse, rip off and duplicating the little guys' shit, patents for words that were industry standard. I could go on forever. It's a bit different now that trails resemble sidewalks and all the bikes look the same. At least we have e bikes to rail against.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,603
    I liked their devil guy logo.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    6
    Trail riding

    I only have my rigid bike setup rn, but I'm not trying to take that on anything rough with that.

    Might throw a suspension fork on there and move into a 27.5 FS bike, but if tires and wheels are going to be around for a while on 26" bikes, may as well put an old frame to use..

  29. #29
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,365
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vader again.


    And I followed the Ellsworth shit show. I don’t recall any other companies that earned an ongoing drama and a bad rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  30. #30
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,203
    You know when you can't find anything new to watch on Netflix so you start watching old episodes that you've watched before?

  31. #31
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    At least we have e bikes to rail against.
    Rail away.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Ibex was another one. An early direct-to-consumer brand that had some problems with how they treated customers.
    Ah yeah...I recall that one.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  33. #33
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,926
    I remember those shit storms. Alex something was the owner of Chumba, I think, and was responsible for chumba’s decline. I had some heated discussions with the guy and remember him being a serious douchebag, a liar, and a shitbag. Same with ibex.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,727
    F88me!
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  35. #35
    Nat
    Nat is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    15,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    F88me!
    lol

  36. #36
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    F88me!
    Wow. I missed that whole fiasco while taking a several-years-long hiatus from MTBR a decade or so ago. My ‘blue period.’

    Anyway, for anyone else who missed it, here’s a blast from the past:
    The demise of F88me.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,047
    ^link won't load for me
    #Phil88me

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    I remember those shit storms. Alex something was the owner of Chumba, I think, and was responsible for chumba’s decline. I had some heated discussions with the guy and remember him being a serious douchebag, a liar, and a shitbag. Same with ibex.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Don't sugar-coat it, dammit! Tell us what you really think of the guy.

  39. #39
    Big Mac
    Reputation: mbmb65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    Don't sugar-coat it, dammit! Tell us what you really think of the guy.
    Lol. Just being cordial.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  40. #40
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Wow. I missed that whole fiasco while taking a several-years-long hiatus from MTBR a decade or so ago. My ‘blue period.’

    Anyway, for anyone else who missed it, here’s a blast from the past:
    The demise of F88me.
    =sParty
    lmao. oh, man. even a reference to the Ibex fiasco in that thread!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Wow. I missed that whole fiasco while taking a several-years-long hiatus from MTBR a decade or so ago. My ‘blue period.’

    Anyway, for anyone else who missed it, here’s a blast from the past:
    The demise of F88me.
    =sParty
    I was here and may have briefly engaged in the antics; it was a revolution.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^link won't load for me
    #Phil88me

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    I accessed it; wonder what became of those members (ex Leximog, Mountaingirl, Atavist, CHUM...).
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  43. #43
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I accessed it; wonder what became of those members (ex Leximog, Mountaingirl, Atavist, CHUM...).
    Not sure about the others, but pretty sure CHUM got an industry job that keeps him busy.

Similar Threads

  1. New XC Racer Advice - Bike mainly but also LT100
    By edrhine in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-18-2016, 08:49 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 05:56 PM
  3. New here..also made a trip to the LBS.
    By JeffTN in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
  5. Replies: 129
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 11:30 AM

Members who have read this thread: 116

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.