mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Need a quick-ish decision on a new tire

Just moved to IL from Cali and most trails are really cross country. I have a Pivot Firebird and my Minion DHR 27.5 2.4WT rear tire is shot.
    I'm looking for more of a plus size tire, I have some room maybe a 2.6 or 2.7... but I want a light weight tire. These heavy DHF and DHR tires are killing me on all the continual pedaling rides that I'm doing now.
    I do hit Moab every year still but I'm not opposed to having a set of Moab specific tires too.
    Anyway, we are out in the boonies and I need a new tire for tomorrow and don't have time or internet availability to do all my research.
    So if any of you are willing, what tires should I be looking at?

Thanks for the help in my time of limited resources...
    Dan

mtbr member
    Maxxis Rekon

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Flat Pluto Society
    So, how are you going to get a new tire by tomorrow? Local bike shop? Won't you be limited by their selection? Seems to me that you'd want to just go in there and see what they have, and get their opinions on the tires, and get one so you can use it.

What am I missing here?
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:05 PM. Reason: Truck fump

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    My vote is to talk to the local experts at the shop that sell's em all the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am out of town but there were several shops in the Springfield MO area so I had options but where we were riding to springfield was internetless and when we got to springfield, didn't have time to talk if we needed to hit several places.
    I ended up with the Maxxis Rekon 2.60. Closer tread pattern and shorter knobs reminds me of my old faithful crossmax that really stuck to a lot of the hardpack/slab rock terrain I rode out in Cali.
    I'm looking forward to testing this tire out tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendations.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I do not not know a lot about tire selection, however my new bike is equipped with Rekon 2.8 and they seem to work pretty well on the hard pack. I have a few areas that are loose over hard. When it's rained, a lot of my conditions have tremendous increases traction. Otherwise, it's fairly rocky.

The other bike has Specialized Purgatory Butcher and Purgatory. They seem to work great on all conditions. Maybe a tad better than the Rekon.

I'm curious of your feedback on the rolling ability. I'm not sure if they are the best rolling tire, simply because I don't have experience. I can say I get super tired on the 2.8 Rekon and on a pedaly downhill I had to work harder to keep up with a friend ahead of me. I don't know what contributed to those scenarios but it was unusual for me to be in that situation that day.