Need quick help... please.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Need quick help... please.

I am assembling a "framed" 26" bike and and its been over 20 years since I have put a bike together, so forgive my ignorance. The instructions don't say on the front wheel if the washer is suppose to go to the inside or outside portion of the frame between the two nuts. The outer nut has a lip (washer like) built into it, while the inner nut does not have this lip so my common sense tells me the washer should go to the inside so there would be equally proportional surfaces on both sides of the fork mount, but I don't like to assume anything so I thought it best to just ask the professionals here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    This would be so much easier to explain if I was able to pist pictures on here. I now have a second question as well but not sure how to articulate it without showing pictures. Is there a way to post pictures?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Go Advanced - click the little picture in the toolbar and upload.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019

So obviously I can move that center washer to the left towards the hub, or to the right towards the outer nut. That is my first question. Just be clear, there are lock "teeth" on both the inner nut, outer nut, and both sides of the washer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Then, here comes my second question. I paid $65 to have "Framed" preassemble the bike and "tune" it. They said the only thing I would have to do is bolt the seat, handle bars and front tire on. The seat clamp and handle bar clamps were already installed into position where things are "suppose" to be. This doesn't look right to me though.

Pro Crastinator
    the washer goes on the other way and is sandwiched between the dropout and the nut

Cycologist
    I would have thought the same as you but looking on their website, I'm seeing this:

Need quick help... please.-screen-shot-2019-04-23-8.28.26-pm.jpg

Edit: as Westcoast said (I was referring to OP)
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to send me cookies.

Pro Crastinator
    the handlebars are on backward

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Don't handle bar mounts typically face forward so the handle bars mount slightly forward of the fork frame? I did not move the mount from where they "preassembled" it. And you can tell the fork is facing the right direction become the framed logo is on the outside of the fork.

Cycologist
    Yeah, hard to tell in the photo if the fork is right or not. If it is, you need to loosen the stem and rotate it around 180 so the handlebars are on the front, not off the back.

Cycologist
    The logo is on the fork blades? Can't see with the wrapping still on them. The logo I see is on the hesadtube, not the fork.

Pro Crastinator
    the fork is backward in the picture, you can see the dropouts in the rear. when you flip it around correctly, the stem will also be correct, but the bars are installed backward

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    the handlebars are on backward
    Well obviously the "assembly and tune" people at Framed bikes are not the experts they claim to be. That is really irritating I paid them $65 for that. If they did something as simple as that, I have strong doubts the wheels were trued up and the disk brake adjusted if they can't put handle bar mounts on right. Should have taken it to a local bike shop and paid them rather than giving the $65 to Framed.

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by slp82 View Post
    Should have taken it to a local bike shop and paid them rather than giving the $65 to Framed.
    For sure! But, it's not uncommon to have to spin the fork and/or stem around backwards when packing a bike into a box. Pretty standard procedure.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Pro Crastinator
    the stem/fork assembly is typically turned around in a box so the stem or the dropouts don't poke their way thru the box and get damaged during shipping

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Shouldnít this be in the backwards fork thread?

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...s-1003781.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Isnít this the best example of why some of us should buy their bikes, ready to ride, from a shop? And, donít most on line bike retailers assemble the bike, as much as can be assembled fir a boxed bike for free? Like, included in the price?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    You were correct. When i pulled it out of the box, the fork was rotated 180 degrees, i guess to make more room. I didn't realize the fork spins inside the area with the logo. I flipped it around and its correct now. Thank you for all of your help! Sad I work in the oilfield and can put work over rigs together but struggle with a bike lol

Cycologist
    You just need to rotate the fork/stem/handlebar around 180 degrees (check the brake cable for which way, looks to be counterclockwise if looking down on it). Then remove the handlebar, spin it 180 and rebolt it. Framed didn't actually assemble it wrong, you bolted on the handlebar with the fork/stem facing the wrong way. As OneSpeed said, it was rotated for shipping. Since the stem was already on, if it was facing forward, it would have required a larger box.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    the fork is backward in the picture, you can see the dropouts in the rear. when you flip it around correctly, the stem will also be correct, but the bars are installed backward
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    You just need to rotate the fork/stem/handlebar around 180 degrees (check the brake cable for which way, looks to be counterclockwise if looking down on it). Then remove the handlebar, spin it 180 and rebolt it. Framed didn't actually assemble it wrong, you bolted on the handlebar with the fork/stem facing the wrong way. As OneSpeed said, it was rotated for shipping. Since the stem was already on, if it was facing forward, it would have required a larger box.
    I realized that after yall said something. Its fixed now. I am just use to super complicated stuff so I didn't try to move anything around at all before bolting stuff on. I honestly just over analyzed and over complicated the whole situation. After I actually moved the handle bars a little and realized the front logo doesn't move with the handle bars, it clicked how it works and was obviously rotated around. If guys at work ever found out about this, I would never hear the end of it. I am one of the only guys at work who can rebuild these huge stainless steel high pressure pumps (we use to send them off to be rebuilt until I started tinkering around with one, took it apart, and figured out how to rebuild it). So this is just embarrassing. Oh well... live and learn. Ive got another bike coming in 10 days and I suspect it will go together much more smoothly lol

Downcountry AF
    Quote Originally Posted by slp82 View Post
    I am just use to super complicated stuff so I didn't try to move anything around at all before bolting stuff on.
    Yeah, the super simple bike assembly usually overwhelms guys who are used to complicated things. Really the bike world is fairly unique if you're unfamiliar. You're not the first mechanic to admit they were at a loss working on a bike for the first time.

Ive got another bike coming in 10 days and I suspect it will go together much more smoothly lol
    Stop fooling yourself, you'll be right back here asking questions. Which is fine.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I don't think there was anything wrong with the bars/clamp.

And I got confused reading your updates post what you actually 'flipped' around.

If you mean you simply turne the bars (like if you were riding the bike) forward than fine. If you literally loosed the bolts and turned the clamp around then I think YOU have reinstalled it backward.

I'm late to the party and you're probably under control, but the assembly of the bike looked correct.

Another way to determine it is if the brake lever was installeld on the correct side. I sort of assume (can't see the lever) that it the bar was rotated backwards for shipping, the brake lever would be difficult to operate. And the brake cable should be routed around the head tube (where the logo is), but in the photos the cable appears to be incorrect, proving the bars were rotated for shipping.