My bike just gained 10 lbs for winter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My bike just gained 10 lbs for winter

First, it got cold. So I mounted the seatpost rack and lashed a small pack to it to carry extra just-in-case clothing and gear. I ride alone, so I ride prepared. A couple of days ago we had a big storm and there's 8" of snow on the ground. It turned mild, the snow is settling, but I know we'll have a cold snap before long and the woods will be one big frozen playground. So off came the Flows with tubeless Ardents and on went the beater wheels with studded 29" Nokian Extremes. I'm ready.

What other cold-weather changes do riders out there make to their bikes?
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 01-01-2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Terrain Sculptor
    I lower the seat a little so I can get both feet on the ground. That's mostly for icy roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hehe.. it is knee deep here (except for the drifts), frozen solid and -6 out with wind chill. My bike is cleaned, lubed, recabled, and lighter since it has a skinny slick trainer tire on the back and parked in the Kurt Kinetic until spring!

One day I am going to have to ask my wife again why we live in Minnesota..

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Take off the clipless and replace with platforms, lower tire pressures a few lbs, and soften my suspension (I am not "flying" in the snow, so I never really use up my travel anyways ... plus it's easy as my snow bike has air suspension). I swap to a slightly more aggressive rear (I run a SB8 in the back, not too good a snow-performer), though that's usually before the snow when the fall starts getting really leafy and wet.

Not for my actual bike, but I tend to bring my "big" backpack when it's cold and have some extra clothes if I have to adjust for the temps somehow.

BTW: beater wheels with some pretty spendy tires; I like .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    BTW: beater wheels with some pretty spendy tires; I like .
    Those wheels were just a mismatched pair that I had before I got Flows. Since I run the Flows tubeless, and swapping the Nokians on and off every time the weather changes (this is CT, after all) is a royal pain, I keep them on the old rims. The tires are expensive, but there's not many studded choices for 29er. I figured, for a couple of hundred bucks, I can keep riding thru the winters. Worth it to me!
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 01-04-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mine, too, though in my case it's all coming from its rider

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Replace clipless pedals with platforms, use gravity dropper seatpost (to give me the confidence to play on the steep stuff when there's snow and ice), studded tires when things get icy, studded shoes when things get crazy icy, limit my winter trail riding to one bike.

My winter non-trail bike gets fenders for the sloppy days on the roads.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Members who have read this thread: 0