Mudguards....do you use 'em?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mudguards....do you use 'em?

I fitted front and rear mudguards to my bike after coming back from a ride with everything covered in mud.

But it's not that easy. With FS the rear guard has to be about six inches above the wheel, limiting the effectiveness.

And the front, well all it seemed to do was channel the dirt in front of the headset, causing it to spray into my face.

And the bike looked tbh a bit stupid with these big plastic things attached to it,
    So I took them off. I guess part of mountain biking in the UK in Winter, is having to hose yourself down when you get home.

Has anybody else had any more success than me?

Yes, that's fonetic
    These work pretty well for the front.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Redcoat

Nope I like gettin muddy and cleaning my bike. Helps me remember my ride somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29ers Forever
    Mud may be a nuisance, but it sure is fun!
    Dropping into a trail

2019 Rocky Mountain Instinct A50 BC
    2019 Salsa Timberjack SLX
    2014 Trek Crossrip Elite

mtbr member
    I bought a PDW rear fender this year. After 2 rides it lays in a box in my garage. I guess it'd be fine for smooth trail riding but once it gets loaded with mud and the bike starts bouncing around it never stays in line with the rear wheel. It has a friction mount to the seat post that doesn't work well when it gets wet.

My friend put it well in a mocking quote;
    "I wanna ride a mountain bike but I don't wanna get dirty"
    I have a black belt in MS Paint.

2013 Santa Cruz Bronson Carbon
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp Carbon 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nope, I don't use them and do not know any one who does, I would go so far as to say I have never even seen a "proper" mountain bike with them fitted. And that is saying some thing considering I am a member of two mountain bike clubs, race regularly and ride 3 - 4 times a week AND I live in the wet tropics of far northern Australia where we get upwards of 3 metres of rain a year.

I guess no one has come up with a decent system that mounts well, weighs little, doesn't interfere with DS bikes suspension and looks OK
    I doubt they ever will either

Redcoat

Who doesn't like getting dirty???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beater

Quote Originally Posted by jeffgre_6163 View Post
    Nope, I don't use them and do not know any one who does, I would go so far as to say I have never even seen a "proper" mountain bike with them fitted. And that is saying some thing considering I am a member of two mountain bike clubs, race regularly and ride 3 - 4 times a week AND I live in the wet tropics of far northern Australia where we get upwards of 3 metres of rain a year.

I guess no one has come up with a decent system that mounts well, weighs little, doesn't interfere with DS bikes suspension and looks OK
    I doubt they ever will either
    I guess you don't watch WC DH.

mtbr member
    For the front of my bike I use the SKS Shockboard...its light...its small and it gets the job done...and its removable...Ive also been using it for years..on the rear...I use a marsh guard...its zipped tied on..I feel like it does an ok job..but I also haven't been using that long either...I did have to modify it to fit on my bike..it was easy..cause it was nothing but plastic...what got me to get a marsh guard was the fact that it didn't hang from the seat post..(I hate those things)...and it was pretty low profile...I did have to get it off of ebay and it came from another country..it took about a month for me to get it but I wasn't in a hurry.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

since 4/10/2009
    I use a Planet Bike downtube fender and that's it. It keeps most spray out of my face. If I'm getting a bunch of mud sticking to the bike, I'm rutting the trail and shouldn't be riding and I deserve all the extra maintenance on my bike (and cost of replacing worn parts).

My commute bike has full fenders with mudflaps. Again for water, not sloppy mud.

beater
    Mucky Nutz or Marsh Guards work pretty well. Do a web search; you'll see how they work. Some rear triangles will need custom shaping and zip tie attachments, so the best way is just to buy some plastic sheeting (flexible cutting boards work well) and fit your own.

I have a Marsh Guard on my fork. It definitely cuts down on the mud getting thrown by my front wheel. That might not be obvious from my downtube, but you could tell by my face...

Mudguards....do you use 'em?-img_3610resized.jpg

Thick mud will still pack it up, though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, I use fenders front and rear. Not that I mind getting dirty, but most of my winter rides are on logging roads and I really don't enjoy taking gravel in the face. Nor do I take any great pride from having a big brown stripe up my backside.

I use a Topeak "Defender" on the front and some seat-post mounted thing in the back. I ride a hardtail so the seatpost mounted fender works fine.

I'm surprised by some of the comments here. I see fenders on most of the MTBs on local riding areas in the winter.