mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Muc-Off - Is Drivetrain Cleaner (yellow) essential if you have Bike Cleaner (pink)?

I was just looking at some products from Muc-Off

When I got my bike it had a very dirty drivetrain.. the owner before me never cleaned it properly and used products that were just attracting dirt. He said the only issue with the bike was sometimes the gear change or derailleur sounded a little noisy (I'm not surprised.. as they'd likely never been properly cleaned or lubricated)

Anyways, I got this Muc-Off Bike Cleaner and it said safe for use on all parts (including gears, sprockets etc).. so I used it and a special brush and brushed/scraped all the dirt and gunk out and used a special aerosol Muc-Off chain cleaner.

Now my drivetrain and chain is pretty dang clean. It went from black to shiny silver.. and I lubricate it with Muc-Off dry and wet chain lube.. it's super smooth and rides and changes much nicer.

They also sell yellow drivetrain cleaner.. why? If the pink stuff does gears, sprockets etc.. why would we need another product? Is it just a matter of getting you to buy another product? Because the pink bike cleaner one worked really well.. I'm asking myself do I need the drivetrain cleaner also? Or just use the pink all round bike cleaner?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Because the bike cleaner is more general purpose, whereas the drivetrain cleaner is for drivetrain cleaning only. That said, all of these can be treated as marketing gimmicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Because the bike cleaner is more general purpose, whereas the drivetrain cleaner is for drivetrain cleaning only. That said, all of these can be treated as marketing gimmicks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, that's what I was thinking also.. So if you have the pink one.. is there really any point in buying the yellow one? I'm thinking not really.

I used the pink one on my drivetrain and it worked really well.. to be honest I don't think anything could work any better.. it was immaculately clean.. so what more can one ask for?

A clean drivetrain is a clean drivetrain.. it's either clean or dirty. I think I'll just continue to use the pink one.. I wonder how much different it really is to the other (colorant asides). I like the "all rounder-ness" of the pink one.