mtbr member
    Dec 2016

MTBSale.com, BikesDirect.com - are they quality bikes?

Hello. Looking to buy a new bike and already aware of BikesDirect.com and have seen some of the Motobecanes and they seem to be good bikes albeit sometimes older components.

However, I came across MTBSale.com that list models from major manufacturers (Fuji, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Cube, etc) from previous years models primarily. The prices seem to be very reasonable and in some cases downright a steal.
    Thus, my question. Has anyone ever bought from MTBSale.com?
    Are they reputable, reliable?
    Had any issues with returns, quality, etc.?
    Any other discount websites to look at?

Thanks so much.

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-de...ue-901917.html

Search is your friend. Indonesia = SCAM.

My 2 cents is to support your LBS. If you don't know much about bikes to begin with, then someone will need to do occasional maintenance. Building a good relationship with your LBS cannot be understated.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sadly it's a scam

Hardtail Steel Forever
    MTBSale.com is definitely a scam, there's a number of threads about it here and on other forums. Some quickly veer into racists arguments, but the general consensus is it's definitely a scam.

The main point is why would legitimate mainstream manufacturers put up with a vendor, anywhere, who has preferential pricing and treatment compared to the rest of the vendors and LBS's that stock their products. For mainstream brands, it really doesn't happen which is why most of the brands they sell aren't available online or if they are available online, it's often at a premium compared to going into a store.

BikesDirect.com is legitimate. You absolutely want to have a good idea of what size bike you need based on the geometry before considering them. In many cases, you are more or less buying components, fork, and wheels, that just happened to have a frame attached to them, but I've seen some ridiculously good deals on there.

If you are considering them, take an indepth look at what groupset and fork you're getting because that's primarily what the price is based on. Some of the cheaper bikes aren't much better than a walmart bikes. Some of the higher end ones use very low quality forks. Otherwise, you can get a really good deal on a very usable bike at a huge discount over mainstream brands. They sell a lot of motobecane and fuji bikes which are good bikes and have been around for a long time. If you aren't experienced buying bikes, can't do most of your own maintenance, and aren't sure about sizing or exactly what you want, they're not the place to purchase from. Sadly, I think this is much of their target audience.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Thank you for the replies. I am confident in doing maintenance myself as I have been riding for 30+ years and still have my 1987 Ross Mt. Hood (albeit upgraded thru the years) along with some other bikes. My son has finally gotten into riding with me and have been looking at bikes for him in order to get him off of mine but did not want to plop down $800-1000 for him in case he decided to not pursuit it. Thus, my question about the said sites. I figured the MTBSale site was too good to be true but just never known anyone personally that had a BikesDirect bike.

As far as a LBS, go to The Hub in Athens, GA and talk with Jim - best shop around! Thanks for the help.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Avoid

Cycologist
    BTW, bikesdirect.com owns the brands they sell. I think they purchased the rights to the names of the brands, such as Motobecane, so if you think you remember them from way back, its because they used to be their own company many years ago. I have not purchased from them but my understanding is as jestep said above, look for quality forks, drivetrains and wheels. Most will probably have their own cheapie seat posts, stems, etc, which is where they save money (though a lot of manufacturers do this).
    Last edited by chazpat; 12-29-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: damn auto correcr
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Bikesdirect bikes are good quality bikes with weird build specs to save money. I've bought a few.

If you want the best possible bike for less than 400 bucks, bd is a no brainer. I wouldn't consider their more expensive models. They do best for the low end stuff.

The perfessor
    - I've owned a Motobecane Ti Fly 29 frame (HT) for 4 years and it's been great......I built it up with my own parts, both HT geared & SS rigid (current setup)MTBSale.com, BikesDirect.com - are they quality bikes?-imag0529.jpg, but Bikesdirect offers some good component packages - if you can't build your own, consider buying the package deal.......that said, pick your frame CAREFULLY - components are components but the frame is the base of any good bike; Bikesdirect offers a nice Ti frame but I can't comment on their other frames......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL / Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Check out Diamondback. Check also if your employer is part of their corporate discount program. If so, you can save a bunch. Several of my workers bought Diamondbacks and they got a whole lot of bike for the money.
    "Holy crap, you are creepy as shit sneaking up on me wearing that collar with that freaky ass smile."

mtbr member
    I can comment on their FS Fantom Pro. Solid, great-riding bike. The frame is worth upgrading and was a stellar value. That being said, I also love tinkering with it, so if you dont want to do that, then go LBS.
    I said, “Doc, when I do this, it hurts!” Doc responds, “ then don’t do that”.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus16 View Post

Thus, my question. Has anyone ever bought from MTBSale.com?
    Are they reputable, reliable?
    Had any issues with returns, quality, etc.?
    Any other discount websites to look at?
    I just signed up for a mtbr account just to comment on this. Apparently, mtbsale.com has a scammer reputation. But it appears there's a new website that they may be affiliated with (probably the same scammer) called hosbike.com. Supposedly, they are located in Romania. According to whois, hosbike.com has only been around since Nov. 15, 2018. So watch out for them too.