MTBR van life?- Mtbr.com

Thread: MTBR van life?

Out spokin'

MTBR van life?

Is there a van life forum or thread on MTBR? I admit I didnít look thoroughly but in any case I didnít find one.

These days people are building out their own custom micro homes on wheels like mad ó itís becoming a common lifestyle and mountain bikers are at the top of the list of likely suspects to lead such lives.

So many trails, so little time.

Iíd love to see MTBR add yet another forum (sorry, but yeah, Iím serious) for those of us who want to see what mountain bikers have created in order to experience their very own version of van life. Carrying bikes presents its own unique quirks.

As for my personal situation, my GF bought a 1996 Roadtrek Class B (eg: van) a year and a half ago. We spent 100 nights in it during our first 12 months of ownership ó itís been fantastic. But the Roadtrek is old and weíve outgrown it. Iím 6í2Ē and the ceiling is only 6í1Ē ó that sort of thing. Weíre looking at buying a new or newer high/long Ford Transit shell van and building it out exactly as we want. After owning a camper van for a year and a half, weíre confident we know what this is.

That said, weíd love to see what other mountain bikers have done, what they love about their creations and what theyíd do differently if starting over.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I'd rather hear people use "Fully Rigid" than "Vanlife".

I've seen a couple threads in the Car and Rack forum.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

high pivot witchcraft
    There's a smattering of stuff in the Cars and Bike Racks subforurm.

I have met tons of people at trailheads, living this lifestyle, passing through my area. I have ridden with some and yeah, invariably they have all been supreme shredders.

One comment - the dudes with the MB van have been shocked at the maintenance costs. The first one is apparently a real eye opener.

This lifestyle intrigues me. I have been pondering taking a short leave of absence from life and doing it myself.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    There is a "Cars and Bike Racks" forum. If there any good van threads, I suspect that they'd be there. Given the traffic of most general topic forums, I'm not sure if MTBR would think it worth it to add another, but you never know.

That being said, I love camper van and would love to have one someday. I built a folding platform with storage underneath for my Transit Connect that let me carry 5 and sleep 2. I got a swinging hitch adaptor to clear the liftgate (which then served as a porch roof), cut some mosquito netting to size and sewed in elastic/magnets to cover the windows, and had a cool little travel set up (though it wasn't meant for living longer periods in). I now have a young son, so it is less useful at the moment as it isn't big enough to cram three people in to sleep comfortably, even if one is little, so I have to add a tent anyway. Guess who gets the tent? Yep me. Guess who then always decides he wants to sleep in the tent? My three year old. So my wife ends up stretched out in memory foam padded comfort while my son sleeps on my face.

Like you, my dream is to do a Transit build. I'm the same height as you, so I'd need the high roof. Do you want the long wheel base normal or long wheel base extended length? If I was building an RV, I'd probably want the extended length, but if I got to do this in the semi-immediate future it would have to function as the families less often used second regular vehicle as well, so I'd want to keep it to the regular length. It would be hard to get a bathroom in there though at regular length.

At the trailhead a month or two ago, I ran into a couple with an amazing van. It was built by a company called VanDoIt. It was really nicely modular. I'd be aiming to build something with similar flexibility if I were to do it. I like that the Transit now comes in a Crew Cab as I think it would be the ideal start.

Dirty Old Man
    I'm curious, have you looked at other used class C and B RVs? Personally I'd take a working galley and bathroom, as well as some slide outs, over a van conversion any day. I spoke with someone at a trail head not too long ago who had more money tied up in his van conversion than I do in my 40ft DP. Meanwhile, he still had no shower or toilet in the van yet was living in it full time. IDK, maybe I'm just not meant to understand.
    . . . . . . . .

slow
    If you're on Instagram, there are lots of cool photos of nice setups.
    These guys have some nice options for bike hauling:
    https://www.owlvans.com/
    A local friend and strong MTB rider sold his house and spent over a year living in a van he built. Upon his return to town, he started a business building these. His Instagram has some nice pix of the build process of his latest creation, and of the finished product:
    https://instagram.com/weathersidecus...=1f7wn8gspx4q3

Rod
    mtbr member
    I've been watching this lifestyle from afar. He's a thread I found interesting from way back in 2016. https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-ra...s-1025345.html

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It doesn't cost any more to purchase, and in fact it very well might cost less to buy a proper small RV with slide outs, a bathroom, and a toilet.
    Have a good friend that crams a family and their bikes all in a sprinter, and it seems terribly uncomfortable to me, and money is definitely not an issue for him.
    Either way, living life on the road sounds like quite a dream really and I wish I could even contemplate it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Singletrack Sampler on u tube had a van build going on a year or two ago.
    I've seen some nice vans/builds at trailheads, so jealous. Mt bike van living would definitely be a dream of mine, my wife doesn't ride but does like camping so maybe there's hope for me.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

since 4/10/2009
    A van is just toooooo cramped for me to be comfortable for anything other than really short trips. I have friends who have done almost all manner of these things. I have a friend with a Roadtrek, another with a Sprinter, another using an older Dodge van, and another who works at a company that does 4x4 and camper conversions on Ford Transit vans.

I currently have a teardrop trailer that gives about as much space as a van conversion, and even though it's a little tougher finding a spot to park it to sleep (especially wilderness boondock type camping), I prefer this over a van because I can park it to store it or to camp and not have to deal with dragging my camping $hit with me everywhere. I can shuttle to distant trails with my tow vehicle, go get food, etc.

The one I always thought was the more comfortable of the smaller rvs was the small Class C RV another friend has. Of course, short of a big Class A or luxurious 5th wheel (I know ppl with those, too).

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    I'm curious, have you looked at other used class C and B RVs? Personally I'd take a working galley and bathroom, as well as some slide outs, over a van conversion any day. I spoke with someone at a trail head not too long ago who had more money tied up in his van conversion than I do in my 40ft DP. Meanwhile, he still had no shower or toilet in the van yet was living in it full time. IDK, maybe I'm just not meant to understand.
    Pooping in a hole in the ground (with a nice view) is my preferred method of defecation. I'd rather shower outside too, and sunshowers work fine.

I lived in a '86 Toyota PU for 13 years. For the first few it just had a camper shell on the back. I had two bikes and everything I needed.

If you want fancy stuff and don't plan to offroad, then the RVs will work. If you do plan to offroad then a truck plus a good quality camper is a better option IMO. The RVs aren't built to hold up and neither are most of the campers. No way would I want a Sprinter, Transit, or Promaster for offroad. A Nissan, GM, or other body on frame style would be better, but a truck+camper would be best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    to each their own I guess... I'm 6'3" and trying to live in a relatively small van sounds terrible.. I guess on the upside with a transit or sprinter I could stand upright I guess.. but since most of these vans seem to involve some sort of pooping outside.. no thank you ...

I think the youtube videos make it seem waaay more fun than it actually is.... i would think the 15~ time you park on the street and have the police banging on the side of your van telling you to move it would get "old"... plus you can't smell them vans on youtube.. I bet the ones with people trying to live in them (wet / muddy mtb clothes, food ..etc scents...) are pretty dank after awhile...

for me... I would need a RV to even consider it... (trips not living in one full time)... but I'd probably be much more likely to get a hotel near a riding spot and stay there... indoor plumbing / beds you don't have your feet overhang... etc conveniences... way more to like my personal liking.

Sneaker man
    Just this weekend we picked up an old Transit van (2002), came decked out with a bed and storage, pretty well done for someone on a budget, although a bit hippiesh on the interior decorating. Good for us as not totally fitted for living (kitchen etc, so bed and storage in the back, but still enough room to fit a few bikes behind the seats. Not good for actual living in, but good for a night, mostly so the GF can do triathlons, drive down, put bike into transition, then sleep and race in the morning, but also good for me for some of the 4/6 hour race things.
    We'll see how it works out, if we like, then upgrade down the track to something bigger/better/newer.

I think this thead was the inspiration:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-ra...m-1021494.html

although i wanted to spend more $$$ as I like the comforts... but the GF she likes the cheapness, so crusty old transit it was.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Pooping in a hole in the ground (with a nice view) is my preferred method of defecation. I'd rather shower outside too, and sunshowers work fine.

I lived in a '86 Toyota PU for 13 years. For the first few it just had a camper shell on the back. I had two bikes and everything I needed.

If you want fancy stuff and don't plan to offroad, then the RVs will work. If you do plan to offroad then a truck plus a good quality camper is a better option IMO. The RVs aren't built to hold up and neither are most of the campers. No way would I want a Sprinter, Transit, or Promaster for offroad. A Nissan, GM, or other body on frame style would be better, but a truck+camper would be best.
    More power to ya. Not into it personally. As you get older things like peeing in the middle of the night, meds, and comfort matter a lot more.
    The wife and I will buy a well used but luxurious RV at some point for about $30k. Enough room for us, the kid, the dog, 3 bikes, and snow gear. Enough room to comfortably bbq, sex up my beautiful wife in privacy, cook a good breakfast, look at mtbr.com, and so on.
    Doesn't really cost much more, and a whole other level of comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    More power to ya. Not into it personally. As you get older things like peeing in the middle of the night, meds, and comfort matter a lot more.
    The wife and I will buy a well used but luxurious RV at some point for about $30k. Enough room for us, the kid, the dog, 3 bikes, and snow gear. Enough room to comfortably bbq, sex up my beautiful wife in privacy, cook a good breakfast, look at mtbr.com, and so on.
    Doesn't really cost much more, and a whole other level of comfort.

Like one of those ex-rental Class Cs? I always wonder how good they would be. Older class C's always give me pause as we had one and it was always acting up on us. Still, for the price I might give one a try if I had somewhere to store it. It would just be a trip vehicle though. No using it as an extra car.

mtbr member
    I've done 3 big (7+ months) 23-28k road trips in a van. 2 with girlfriends, 1 with a buddy, and they were all unequivocally the best times of my life. Very simple builds with just insulation, roof vent, beds, and shelving. I think the "living" part means very different things to different people. I only slept and drove in the van and in that it was all I needed.

For me the footprint of a van is perfect both in it's off-road ability to get you out there and it's incognito ability to park and sleep in a city/town. Never once had a cop knock on the door, and you do laundry/ clean just like any other living space.

The cost, parts availability, and ease to work on a van is also a priority for me. I had a huge mechanical on the coast south of Bella Coola which is remote. Some ingenuity and my tool kit had me back on the road in 3 days. I currently have a 2011 e150 which I put about 13k on just this summer bouncing around the PNW. Whatever gets you out there but if the point is to simplify and free up more time for the living part of live, well it's #vanlife for a reason.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I thought about getting a van, but settled on a much easier and waaay cheaper option in a small toy hauler. Fully self contained, can haul my dirt bikes and keep them secure, and leaves me a 4x4 truck still. Dual axles and surprisingly good ground clearance means I can pull it damn near anywhere I'd take the Tundra.

I like having a 4x4 truck. Vans are a PITA to work on and I don't pay mechanics, do it all myself.

I did the van life thing in NZ for a while. Awesome experience but got that out of my system. Definitely recommend it for a while though!

MTBR van life?-carson.jpg

Dirty Old Man

Meh. An RV with a truck in tow works fine. Especially if you plan on being somewhere for more than one day. My coach is 18yrs old and holding up just fine. The reason they seem to not hold up tends to be a lack of maintenance on the owners part. If you like digging latrines every time you need to $%!+ then good on ya, but I like having a bathroom. A hot shower. A washer and dryer. A refrigerator. A freezer. A proper bed. An oven. Somewhere comfortable to relax and watch TV when stormy weather hits. I could go on. Of course, having raced out of a Chevy van, then a C cab Winnie when I was younger, and now having traveled the country in a large DP RV with my family I just can't see the appeal of these van conversions. I will admit that it's easy to get sucked into the hype on social media. There was even a guy recently trying to glamorize his life living out of a Tesla model 3. Seriously. I've seen so many of these vans here in San Diego and nearly bought one before I got my Navigator to use as a family/biking vehicle. The prices these homemade conversions were pulling was just stupid; and for those prices you still have to go outside and $#!+ in a bucket. No thanks.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Meh. An RV with a truck in tow works fine. Especially if you plan on being somewhere for more than one day.
    ???

Not if you want to be in the boonies. You need to get far from where the RVs tread. I liked to be places where I wouldn't see another human all week.

I'm a little surprised by the responses. I expected MTBers to be more rugged I guess. I was more comfortable living like that than I have been in any house. I had near zero camping experience when I started and didn't know if I'd hate it or not. I honestly didn't miss anything. Best time of my life...

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Like one of those ex-rental Class Cs? I always wonder how good they would be. Older class C's always give me pause as we had one and it was always acting up on us. Still, for the price I might give one a try if I had somewhere to store it. It would just be a trip vehicle though. No using it as an extra car.
    We looked at a rental C class but then tend to lack the things that make RVs desirable in the first place. There was a decided lack of electrical outlets, no awnings and a few other things that you would assume to be standard in a modern RV. They are basically built with ignorant renters in mind, such that they aren't going to equip them with things (like awnings) that can be forgotten about and hence broken. The big issue I see with smaller coaches and trailers is often a lack of roof maintenance. People seem to forget (or not be told) that there are a ton of seems on the roof that will need occasional resealing.
    . . . . . . . .

Dirty Old Man
    ???

Not if you want to be in the boonies. You need to get far from where the RVs tread. I liked to be places where I wouldn't see another human all week.

I'm a little surprised by the responses. I expected MTBers to be more rugged I guess. I was more comfortable living like that than I have been in any house. I had near zero camping experience when I started and didn't know if I'd hate it or not. I honestly didn't miss anything. Best time of my life...
    I live in Southern California. I've seen quite a few RVers living out in the desert full time. They would show up in town long enough to fuel up and resupply. Lots of smaller A class and C class. I remember being at a DH race in VA many years ago and a guy showed up in a lifted Minnie Winnie with quite a bit of suspension travel and some serious looking tires. It was a pure expedition vehicle at that point. Sounded like damn drag racer. There are quite a few very off road capable RVs these days too.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Singletrack Sampler on u tube ....
    Was going to say Youtube is awash with mtb van channels. And even more non-mtb vans. The attraction of vans is 'stealth' camping in plain sight but as others have pointed out an RV is ready to go.

slow
    I like the idea of the nomadic life, but don't see it actually happening. The van seems to hit a middle ground that I don't need. For shorter trips and more remote locations, I am perfectly happy spending a few nights on the ground in my tent or sleeping in the back of my wife's SUV. On the other side of the coin, I've stayed in some really nice Air B-n-B units in Crested Butte, Leadville, Winter Park, Moab, and Rotorua for a small fraction of the cost of a nice van.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Iíve been following a number of the YouTube van MTB channels and find it enticing for a week long trip type vehicle. You are going to be staying at a campground or rest stop so bathrooms/etc will be as if you were tent camping. Sure, a pull behind camper would be nice, but then you have to have a more expensive truck to tow it. And space to store it. A well used but mechanically thorough can would be much easier to navigate around with when entering towns, etc.

Out spokin'
    Scatterbrained, you know what you like and thatís great. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and self-admitted inability to understand why some people prefer van life.

Meanwhile I know what I like too. Itís different that what you like.

Go ahead and keep explaining if you want to, but please know some of us arenít interested in going the traditional motorhome route. Nor the pickup/camper/trailer route. This is the van life thread. Feel free to start the Class A, roof seam maintenance, multiple slide out, mobile bathroom, big screen TV, noisy generator, et al thread

Meanwhile letís focus on van life in this thread. There are some advantages to van life, regardless of whether or not everyone appreciates them.

(One advantage: no roof seams.)

Iím sure Class A-ing has advantages, too. Hopefully thatís another thread.

Thanks,
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Scatterbrained, you know what you like and thatís great. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and self-admitted inability to understand why some people prefer van life.

Meanwhile I know what I like too. Itís different that what you like.

Go ahead and keep explaining if you want to, but please know some of us arenít interested in going the traditional motorhome route. Nor the pickup/camper/trailer route. This is the van life thread. Feel free to start the Class A, roof seam maintenance, multiple slide out, mobile bathroom, big screen TV, noisy generator, et al thread

Meanwhile letís focus on van life in this thread. There are some advantages to van life, regardless of whether or not everyone appreciates them.

(One advantage: no roof seams.)

Thanks,
    =sParty
    The second you put a vent in the roof, you have a seem . . . .
    BTW, have you looked at RV Trader to see some of the van conversions for there? It may be location dependent, but here in SoCal there were a ton of them for sale when I looked a while back. That coupled with the corporate RV builds can really give you an idea of just what can be done. There is also the Winnebago Revel which was made with MTBers in mind. A power lift bed in the back above the "garage" and the shower is something I've never seen in a DIY build. It's a marine shower that doubles as a closet.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Last summer I went to what was called adventurevanexpo at Lake Tahoe ,it was mostly Sprinters ,there were a few Transits and Metris's a couple one off things . Overall lots of good ideas on how to get a small space to work. They have a web site ,adventurevanexpo.com ,with lots of info.

Out spokin'
    The second you put a vent in the roof, you have a seem . . . .
    BTW, have you looked at RV Trader to see some of the van conversions for there? It may be location dependent, but here in SoCal there were a ton of them for sale when I looked a while back. That coupled with the corporate RV builds can really give you an idea of just what can be done. There is also the Winnebago Revel which was made with MTBers in mind. A power lift bed in the back above the "garage" and the shower is something I've never seen in a DIY build. It's a marine shower that doubles as a closet.
    True on the roof vent seam.

Iíve looked at the Revel and would be interested in one if an extended version was offered. At 6í2Ē, I canít sleep in a bed thatís laid out side to side, Iíve got to have a longitudinal bed. My GF & I have looked at many vans and motorhomes and weíre among those funny people who donít want a bathroom or interior shower. We shower on a pallet between the back doors and take care of business outdoors, thatís just the way we like it. Whenever I have to get up in the middle of the night, I employ a Nalgene bottle. We do our laundry in a stream or at a coin-op, depending on whatís available.

Weíve seen a zillion different van floorplans and layouts and so far only one appealed to us (a full custom, one-of-a-kind van). Even in that case, there are a few changes weíd make. The one we like is owned by a riding buddy, so Iíve got a great resource whenever I start my build-out, which will probably be in about 15 months.

Of course there are disadvantages to van life ó there are compromises to anything and everything, but after careful consideration and plenty of experience, weíve made our choice. Truth is, I imagine I could argue either side of the Ďwhich RVí debate. We flipped our coin and it landed ďless room, more adventureĒ side up.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Out spokin'
    This oneís pretty cool:

=sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    #vanlife sucks but for road trips oriented around mtn bike rides it's a pretty good way to go.

And for western BC, ID, and MT I'd much rather be in a hard-shelled rig than a tent or sleeping outside with all the pesky bears around.

MTBR van life?-gravelly-range_2.jpg

MTBR van life?-gravelly-range_1.jpg

Out spokin'
    Nice rig. Will you please post more photos including close ups of your rear rack? Detailed explanation would be good, too. Thanks.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Cool build for sure but I can't sleep width wise either. To anybody that uses a camp stove often do yourself a favor and ditch the rigid metal angled propane connector. Get a rubber hose style one from Amazon or wherever, they make a big difference in ease and usability imo. I have one with an adapter for 16oz, 3 gallon, and 5 gallon tanks, they're just better.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have a 35' 5th Wheel Toyhauler. It's about twice the size I needed but it's also 20 years old this year. It wasn't that expensive and it totally changed my mountain biking trips to be able to take friends, tools, my dog, and everything else I could possibly need.

Before the trailer I had a truck camper. It was tiny, but still not as tiny as a van in that it had a toilet, shower, kitchen, and dinette. After having that for 5-6 years, the van thing makes no sense to me. A truck camper can go anywhere a pickup truck can go.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    I have a 35' 5th Wheel Toyhauler. It's about twice the size I needed but it's also 20 years old this year. It wasn't that expensive and it totally changed my mountain biking trips to be able to take friends, tools, my dog, and everything else I could possibly need.

Before the trailer I had a truck camper. It was tiny, but still not as tiny as a van in that it had a toilet, shower, kitchen, and dinette. After having that for 5-6 years, the van thing makes no sense to me. A truck camper can go anywhere a pickup truck can go.
    Cool that you were able to get what you wanted. I hope I get to do likewise.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Co Springs
    WTH is going on here?
    Taking off like life is a vacation and living a postcard scene while biking and enjoying the out-of-doors. What B.S.

While out there having fun and a grand time, you won't be 'here' to support us whining about pot hole maintenance and super slab life.
    May the squirrels of yonder bless you with Montezuma's revenge leaving presents in your sleeping bags !

"Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

mtbr member
    Nice rig. Will you please post more photos including close ups of your rear rack? Detailed explanation would be good, too. Thanks.
    =sParty
    It's an Aluminess rack. Pretty popular with the overlanding crowd. I use 1UP USA racks to span the overhang over the spare tire. I'll use the hitch rack with an extender if I need to carry 4 bikes. Initially I used the roof rack for the kids bike but it's up too high and tree branches become a problem. I carry a Solaire grill and levelling blocks
    in the box.

MTBR van life?-hurrah-pass.jpg

MTBR van life?-little-creek_rack.jpg

MTBR van life?-yankee-boy.jpg[
    Last edited by rockman; 4 Days Ago at 05:24 PM.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Nice setup rockman. Thatís the kind of rig I always wanted to build.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Out spokin'
    Super trick! I've been looking at the Aluminess and Owl Vans bike carriers and it looks like the Aluminess may get the nod, but I've got some more studying to do before I get it figured all the way out.

I like how the Owl Vans rack bolts to the vehicle's rear door hinges (which would save $2700 by not having to buy the entire Aluminess rear bumper) but it looks like the Aluminess system may be more bulletproof overall.

Anyway thanks for posting your photos. Awesome rig you've got there. Any further advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    WTH is going on here?
    Taking off like life is a vacation...
    Yo BTO, I retired 4 years ago and time's a wastin'! Now's the time for all the expensive toys and travel, travel, travel. Like I said before, so many trails, so little time.

Well, the time has finally arrived. And it's flying by at warp speed.

That said, I still plan to live forever. So far, so good.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Your bike sucks
    I'm a little surprised by the responses. I expected MTBers to be more rugged I guess. I was more comfortable living like that than I have been in any house.
    Heh - me too! Right now my very old POS Suburban is my #Vanlife and it does the job, I guess better than anything I had before. This type of use is my only reason for a car at all. Some of my friend have gone soft - for various reasons- and let me tell you: RV and Trailers are a huge pain in the rear. Setting up, powering, tear down, cleaning grey/black h20... but the kicker is limiting access to locations I now miss when we get together. I'll grant that the toilet is nice - esp in the desert where you need to be more eco with your poop. It sort of sucks that if I want to get communal with my friends we are limited to pedestrian areas because of their vehicles - not really what I like.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat and many people have different priorities. For me: reliable transportation, ability to haul the needed gear in a practical manner, ability to traverse into remote areas (aka clearance and 4WD/AWD), then finally sleeping accommodations and general organization. Things like: sink, refridg, seating area, toilet are generally not attractive to me and in some cases, diminish the quality of being in the environment. The insides of your rig are going to look the same no matter where you are - so I try to maximize the outdoor time.

Rockman's rig is nice and I might land on something like a 4x4 conversion or Sportsmobile... I'm kinda waiting for #vanlife to die it's death and clean up on a post-craze purchase... many, many people discover its not for them.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

mtbr member
    It doesn't cost any more to purchase, and in fact it very well might cost less to buy a proper small RV with slide outs, a bathroom, and a toilet.
    Have a good friend that crams a family and their bikes all in a sprinter, and it seems terribly uncomfortable to me, and money is definitely not an issue for him.
    Either way, living life on the road sounds like quite a dream really and I wish I could even contemplate it.

That's not nearly cool enough. Too much comfort, not enough roughing it factor and "ingenuity".

I think we all dream of packing up and just living the vagabond lifestyle from time to time. But I'd go with an offroad capable towable. Hell, most of those vans never go off the road or, at worst, a dirt road, so a regular RV would do the trick, even. And, like you said, a shower and toilet vs a outside enclosure and bucket would make it far more enjoyable.

My only complaint with them is they take these long ass vans, many with a rack in the hitch and cram themselves into tiny parking spaces at the trail head, making it nearly impossible, sometimes, to navigate around them.

Thanks,
    =sParty
    The irony here, you realize, is that a Class A is just a super-sized - and super luxurious - van.

Rides all the bikes!
    I'm planning to buy a van in a couple of months for full time living. I'm not committed to model yet, but looking at the 2020 AWD, medium roof (I'm 5'8"), extended Transit.

I'll be parking at my work. There is a gym with a shower there for me to use. I can also use the restrooms in a short walk across the parking lot, as well as other conveniences. I'll slowly build it out as I find my needs.

I'm currently living in an old camping trailer with no facilities. No propane means no heat or stove (40 degrees inside when I woke up Friday). No easy way to drain the tanks so I basically only use the sink to brush my teeth right now. It's actually LESS convenient than what a van will be like for me, so it's a good test to see how I like the lifestyle, so far it works.

Right now when I go places I sleep in the front seat of my Ford Fiesta. If weather is mild and I can openly camp, I'll use a tent. Nice weather = under the stars with a cot. I divorced a couple years ago, and have slowly been figuring out that I'm just a dirtbag. I'm rarely in the trailer now, basically just to sleep. I'm either working, riding, at the gym climbing (new to me, planning to go outdoors with it next season), spending time with my horse at my ex's place, or anything NOT in the trailer.

I like the idea of building out a van for my needs. I know an RV is a simple as turn the key and go, but they don't see to hold up well long term without a lot of investment. And I like the stealth aspect of the van. Shouldn't be an issue at my work (large factory), but a motorhome just seems like I am pushing it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    When I win the lottery, I will buy earth roamer expedition truck

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Dirty Old Man

Iíve looked at the Revel and would be interested in one if an extended version was offered. At 6í2Ē, I canít sleep in a bed thatís laid out side to side,.......
    =sParty
    Have you looked at the high roofed Sprinters with pop tops where the bed is in the ceiling? That might give you the headroom while giving a longitudinal bed that doesn't occupy any valuable floorspace.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    For me: reliable transportation, ability to haul the needed gear in a practical manner, ability to traverse into remote areas (aka clearance and 4WD/AWD), then finally sleeping accommodations and general organization.
    4WD is actually not so necessary; I didn't have it. But then I was able and willing to avoid adventurous driving in snow and mud. Just air down for sand. I'd put ground clearance, low gearing, good suspension, and limited slip or locker, as more important. I only say this because of the dearth of decent 4wd vans unless you spring for a $15k upgrade on one of the older ones. The newer unibodies suck, including the Sprinter (even in 4wd). If you are using a truck or SUV then 4wd by all means, since it's ubiquitous.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Things like: sink, refridg, seating area, toilet are generally not attractive to me and in some cases, diminish the quality of being in the environment.
    I thought living in my "spartan" setup was the opposite of a hassle. Less junk to maintain, break, and futz with. I'm an old man and I certainly don't need all the modern niceties to be "comfortable". Surprisingly it wasn't hard to find women that felt the same way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Have you looked at the high roofed Sprinters with pop tops where the bed is in the ceiling? That might give you the headroom while giving a longitudinal bed that doesn't occupy any valuable floorspace.
    I really like what Hymer (European RV builder) does with their pop tops. Rather than open up the whole roof, they basically just cut a hatch and you crawl up into the sleeping area (which is basically a hard shell roof tent). Keeps the vans structural integrity intact and the full space open for whatever you need it for while minimizing loss of chassis rigidity. It also means that you have a hatch with raised seams in the middle of the roof with a full, seamless shell covering it, so water leakage is less of a worry (though if you put an impossible fan right over the hatch so it can be used while closed, then obviously you're facing the same situation).

I like Hymer's layouts in general and if I had a LOT of time/effort to put into a build, I'd try to build a more modular version of the Hymercar Free, with no internal shower and everything aft of the second seats able to be removed.

mtbr member
    I also think the pop top is the way to go. As said it puts your sleeping quarters out of the way effectively doubling your living/storage space all the while solving being able to stand. Furthermore you can still stealth park/sleep on the couch or floor in town. But the greatest advantage imo is overhead clearance. I have a lot of awesome overlook and river camp stashes high roofed vans can not make it into.

The Sportsmobile forums are a great resource for research. I think most guys in there would advise to stay clear of add ons that bolt to door hinges etc. The aluminess stuff is generally regarded as very well engineered.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I'm planning to buy a van in a couple of months for full time living. I'm not committed to model yet, but looking at the 2020 AWD, medium roof (I'm 5'8"), extended Transit.
    Sounds like you've got a solid plan and a clear road map, good on ya. 40į at wakeup -- whoa!

I'm looking at the 2020 Ford Transit, too. Highest roof due to my height, extended length due to my need for a longitudinal bed. I don't often wish I was shorter, but occasionally there would be advantages.

I'd prefer 60/40 cargo side doors over a sliding door (we have cargo doors in our current van), the cargo doors are an option on the Transit tho they may be difficult to find. If I have to go with a sliding door, I'll consider the electric option (available on the '20 model). My friend's Sprinter's manual sliding door is noisy as well as heavy. When camping, his door wakes people up regardless of whether they're inside his van or outside it.

My Subaru Outback will be paid off next month, I plan to keep it as my daily driver. An expected rent reduction (to $zero!) in May will allow me to start saving about $1200/month toward the van at that time. I expect to have around $15,000 in my pocket for a down payment when I start van shopping in April or May, 2021. Will do my best to pay as I go while building it out, but I expect the build will cost another $15,000 or so (not to mention I'll have a van payment then). Target date for first camping trip in the new rig = October, 2021.

Sounds so far away. It's not.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    The Sportsmobile forums are a great resource for research. I think most guys in there would advise to stay clear of add ons that bolt to door hinges etc. The aluminess stuff is generally regarded as very well engineered.
    Good to know, thanks WHALENARD. I'll have solar panels on the roof.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    That's not nearly cool enough. Too much comfort, not enough roughing it factor and "ingenuity".

I think we all dream of packing up and just living the vagabond lifestyle from time to time. But I'd go with an offroad capable towable. Hell, most of those vans never go off the road or, at worst, a dirt road, so a regular RV would do the trick, even. And, like you said, a shower and toilet vs a outside enclosure and bucket would make it far more enjoyable.

My only complaint with them is they take these long ass vans, many with a rack in the hitch and cram themselves into tiny parking spaces at the trail head, making it nearly impossible, sometimes, to navigate around them.

The irony here, you realize, is that a Class A is just a super-sized - and super luxurious - van.
    Probaly cause I peruse this thread, my FB feed got hit with local marketplace RVs for sale this morning.
    $9.5k asking for a well appointed 2001 RV with slide outs and 30k miles popped up. Way less than my buddy has spent rigging up his Sprinter.
    I want to go to ski resorts and bike trails so offroad needs don't suit me.
    My whole family rides and I'm hoping my daughter will be doing the NICA thing all around Texas in another 4 years and I would buy an RV at that point. What are you guys doing to secure the bikes and protect them from inclement weather and theft? Thinking I can weld up an Aluminum hitch rack that encloses and locks and has everything inside, maybe just removing the bike wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Probaly cause I peruse this thread, my FB feed got hit with local marketplace RVs for sale this morning.
    $9.5k asking for a well appointed 2001 RV with slide outs and 30k miles popped up. Way less than my buddy has spent rigging up his Sprinter.
    My whole family rides and I'm hoping my daughter will be doing the NICA thing all around Texas in another 4 years and I would buy an RV at that point. What are you guys doing to secure the bikes and protect them from inclement weather and theft? Thinking I can weld up an Aluminum hitch rack that encloses and locks and has everything inside, maybe just removing the bike wheels.

Two things to think about:
    1. Make sure everything checks out with an RV dealer independent of the seller. Things like slideouts add complexity and most of those type of campers aren't exactly built to a bombproof standard.

2. Taking a standard RV skiing can be tricky (depending on where you're going). The water tanks and sewage lines aren't generally very well insulated and so if it's below freezing, they can freeze - at best plugging up, at worst cracking. They have some with "all season packages" but most require a heating element for the tanks (which takes a power hookup) and how well they heat/insulate all the pipes is questionable. If I were going to be doing a lot of winter camping in an RV, I'd look into getting a composting/cassette toilet.

On the other hand, driving around TX for NICA events seems like pretty much the ideal use of an RV.

Co Springs
    Yo BTO, I retired 4 years ago and time's a wastin'! Now's the time for all the expensive toys and travel, travel, travel. Like I said before, so many trails, so little time.

Well, the time has finally arrived. And it's flying by at warp speed.

That said, I still plan to live forever. So far, so good.
    =sParty
    A M E N
    Show us how it's done !

Two things to think about:
    1. Make sure everything checks out with an RV dealer independent of the seller. Things like slideouts add complexity and most of those type of campers aren't exactly built to a bombproof standard.
    2. Taking a standard RV skiing can be tricky (depending on where you're going). The water tanks and sewage lines aren't generally very well insulated and so if it's below freezing, they can freeze - at best plugging up, at worst cracking. They have some with "all season packages" but most require a heating element for the tanks (which takes a power hookup) and how well they heat/insulate all the pipes is questionable. If I were going to be doing a lot of winter camping in an RV, I'd look into getting a composting/cassette toilet.
    On the other hand, driving around TX for NICA events seems like pretty much the ideal use of an RV.
    Point 2 is a good one and I'll just mention I've bumped into some RV How To's that were well done covering winter season. A husband / wife of 'middle age' do a nice one showing how to insulate lines, pipes, etc.... and have some good detailed info on power consumption / economizing and heat level/methods needed inside for comfort that isn't over doing it.

Always love to see this stuff even though it won't be for me very likely, seeing the adventures and rigs vicariously is so cool.
    Best of luck to all endeavoring. There's lots of info to peruse so it's nice to be able to nearly jump in with both feet and yet learn form others before doing so.

Getting it right or mostly right the first time around will be considerably more fun and less costly !
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

Out spokin'
    Buying an old motorhome is a terrific way to learn the necessary lessons to be successful at motorhoming. That's what my GF & I did -- the one she bought for $14,500 was 25 years old when she bought it. The learning curve is steep and this can be a relatively cheap way to get one's feet wet, although at times you may think a lot more than your feet are getting wet. Sometimes you might even think you're getting hosed.

No one could explain it. We had to experience it to get it and I'm glad we did. Time well spent and we have many great memories of grand adventures. One more year and we'll move on to just what we want. Inspired layout, our own interior design, modern vehicle safety features, modern conveniences like 110 power, a vehicle warranty, personalized priorities & compromises.

My whole family rides and I'm hoping my daughter will be doing the NICA thing all around Texas in another 4 years and I would buy an RV at that point.
    I don't intend to offroad my rig either. As for ski resorts, I've done that. As well as camping in Prescott in February (can you say 19įF). I learned a lot about built-in water tanks (both fresh and gray) and winterizing them. I've learned better ways to do it. Learned about onboard propane tanks, their pluses and minuses and better ways to deal with fuel.

Elevation, temperature, quality of materials that went into the vehicle's original build, electrical systems -- any or all of it may force the vehicle's owner to learn the hard way. It was worth it in our case. We now know exactly what we want and why we want it that way. I wouldn't trade the past year and a half of extensive motorhome experience for anything.

So you're in Texas? My GF & I are in the PNW. So our experiences will most certainly be different. You'll primarily deal with sun & heat while we're dealing primarily with rain & cold.

Oh, by the way, it can be expensive. Especially in an older motorhome. Dang, just when we thought we were saving money.

What are you guys doing to secure the bikes and protect them from inclement weather and theft? Thinking I can weld up an Aluminum hitch rack that encloses and locks and has everything inside, maybe just removing the bike wheels.
    Two couples we ride with have Sprinters. Both chose to put their "garage" under their elevated beds and keep their bikes inside their vans. Meanwhile my GF & I don't want to devote that much valuable interior space to bike storage. We employ a hitch mounted bike rack and invested in serious locks. While the bikes are indeed exposed to the weather, it hasn't been a problem. I've been a self-trained bike mechanic for 40+ years, I'm comfortable doing everything down to frame bearing replacement if outdoor exposure warrants it.

The Aluminess system I dream of (rear bumper with swing-away storage box and bike racks above, see rockman's 4WD van below) costs around $4000. Not sure I can justify spending that much but we'll see. My philosophy is buy once, cry once.

Meanwhile we just roll the bikes inside if we go on a hike or leave the van unattended for any other reason for an extended time. We have down days when we go to town. The laundromat, grocery store, etc. can't be denied. Typically one of us will stay with the van (read: bikes) while the other shops.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Dirty Old Man
    .....What are you guys doing to secure the bikes and protect them from inclement weather and theft? Thinking I can weld up an Aluminum hitch rack that encloses and locks and has everything inside, maybe just removing the bike wheels.

Fortunately for me I can take the wheels off and fit my bike in the basement of the coach. I have been considering getting one of these though as my girls are getting old enough to start riding with me.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    When I win the lottery, I will buy earth roamer expedition truck

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    Watched a video on the Winnie Revel, very impressive, so just for sh1ts and giggles I looked up msrp for a 2020. My guess was about $125k, nope...$168K!
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Watched a video on the Winnie Revel, very impressive, so just for sh1ts and giggles I looked up msrp for a 2020. My guess was about $125k, nope...$168K!
    RV's are like boats. Never buy them new. Buy one that's a few years old with low mileage for 50% of MSRP.

since 4/10/2009
    Fortunately for me I can take the wheels off and fit my bike in the basement of the coach. I have been considering getting one of these though as my girls are getting old enough to start riding with me.
    So many RVs have horrendously wimpy hitches, and the arrangement of the vehicle puts a lot of strain on things mounted there. Pretty sure those hitches are mostly intended to be used for lower tongue weight cases like pulling an extra vehicle in a dinghy arrangement. I've lost count of how many I've seen with bent bike racks and cargo platforms hanging off the back, and outright trashed hitches (and the bumpers those hitches are often part of or bolted to).

The friend of mine who owns a small Class C has a cargo trailer she pulls with it that's her bike garage. She's got a tool box in there for all her bike tools, workstand, and storage to transport quite a lot of bikes if she needs to. It's a rather nice setup. You can certainly do similar with a toyhauler type RV and lose the trailer. And that's a big part of the point of having a "garage" inside a van conversion. One of these days, I'm going to buy a pickup truck to be the primary tow vehicle for my teardrop camper so that I can use a camper shell and have a "bike garage" of sorts for out-of-the-weather bike transport and out-of-sight-out-of-mind security. IMO, there's definitely value to the ability to transport bikes that way when you're on the road. Right now I use rooftop carriers on the subaru when towing the trailer. It works, but there are drawbacks to it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I'm just starting step two of my baby step's into #vanlife.

My wife still works and likes too (???), and will for the next 5 years. I'm into my 3rd year of retirement. We travel together (Europe and places but clean, comfortable, warm, NOT roughing it etc.....) I like the simplicity and low cost of camping, boondocking etc.

I usually go for 1-3 weeks at a time. Myself or a buddy.

Step one was an SUV that I used for work/travel, I built a sleeping platform and storage in it and used it for biking adventures from homebase (Northern Ontario) to lots of the U.S. and Canada! (woohoo!) I always had a tent because it was cramped (6ft2, 220)
    Sleeping inside the SUV was great for convenience, safety, and stealth. Did I say it was cramped?

At 300K the engine died on the way home from a trip north of Quebec City.

Enter Step 2.
    I just finished a sleeping storage platform for my new (to me) Dodge Grand Caravan. (70K, $15K Can) I'm excited about the size and the kitchen/cooking and storage drawers I built in.

Bike storage: I built my sleeping platform in the SUV to allow my bike to be stored inside for safety, stealth. (did I say cramped?) I still used the hitch for convenience in good weather/safe areas.

I did the same with the van (I'm the only one sleeping in it) so 33" width mattress, but this also allows me to sit up in the back of the van!

I haven't tried it yet, haven't even packed it! Really excited to escape the snow and cold (I tolerate fatbiking, while dreaming of warm singletrack)

OFF TO South Carolina and FLORIDA tomorrow!!! I'll give a good test, camping in Alafia and Santos, with a couple of days of boondocking.

If I ever figure out how to get a picture up here. I'll post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow! Some of these builds are amazing and amazingly expensive!

https://www.maxim.com/rides/10-styli...re-vans-2018-3

mtbr member
    I'm going on my 10th year of owning a 1991 VW Westfalia. We use it for week-long MTB trips to UT/CO and weekend trips closer to home. We have it just as much because we're long-time VW nerds as we do because it's an almost perfect camping machine for us. It's a 2WD but has a LSD so it's actually quite off-road worthy. I do really miss using a more modern car/tent at times though and maintaining an almost 30-year old quirky vehicle can be frustrating.

I have no interest in "living" in it or any other vehicle full time. I like my job but often can't do it remotely. I like my house a whole lot too - it's where my veggies grow, where my pets live, and where my hot tub is installed. I'm also a 60-minute drive from Big Sky so my ski itch is scratched perfectly well from my house.

IMO, a high clearance trailer is a pretty hot setup. The problem with vans or pickup bed campers is that you need to break camp anytime you decide to drive somewhere. It's fine if you're always going to access rides etc. from the same camp but what happens when you want to be at a trail head 10 miles from a camp that you hope to return to? It can be a bit of a hassle.

Around here, the Sprinter van "culture" is becoming the butt of jokes since many are used for day trips to the ski hill or trail head. Why do you need so much space just to put your ski boots on? They're becoming the symbol of conspicuous consumption that the Hummer H1 was.

MTBR van life?-img_0391.jpg

MTBR van life?-june-30-2012-019.jpg

mtbr member
    I never "break camp" until I'm done with the spot. I leave a folding table, camp stove, propane, all my cookware, camp chairs, hammock, etc. etc. Never an issue since 1993 or so. This past year in Moab I saw side by side after side by side...by the train load packed with children staring at tablets or a phone, bizarre.

Spent some time on the Sportsmobile forums last night looking at ideas for my own van. It looks like a fair amount of people do actually have issues with that Aluminess rear bumper set up. Seems some develop cracks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I never "break camp" until I'm done with the spot. I leave a folding table, camp stove, propane, all my cookware, camp chairs, hammock, etc. etc. Never an issue since 1993 or so. This past year in Moab I saw side by side after side by side...by the train load packed with children staring at tablets or a phone, bizarre.

Spent some time on the Sportsmobile forums last night looking at ideas for my own van. It looks like a fair amount of people do actually have issues with that Aluminess rear bumper set up. Seems some develop cracks.

If you haven't found it already, the other places you might look for well-built adventure van inspiration are the forums on Expedition Portal. You have a lot of guys DIYing vans and little campers for rugged travel.

mtbr member
    If you haven't found it already, the other places you might look for well-built adventure van inspiration are the forums on Expedition Portal. You have a lot of guys DIYing vans and little campers for rugged travel.
    Cool, thanks. I don't think I've checked that one out yet

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Cool, thanks. I don't think I've checked that one out yet

Much like here and bikes, it can be a bit of a rabbit hole, so let that be fair warning!

mtbr member

Indeed. Mine cracked and broke. They've since gone to a stronger, square tube design and will upgrade older versions with a gusset. Great company to work with, albeit an expensive bumper for sure. Most of the failures are from over loading. Folks will run two boxes, bikes, a generator, water jugs, blah blah. Spec weight limit is 150lb.

Rabid Lana Fan
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Magically Delicious
    So many options, so little $$$
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    I never "break camp" until I'm done with the spot. I leave a folding table, camp stove, propane, all my cookware, camp chairs, hammock, etc. etc.
    It's all that little stuff that lives inside the vehicle that needs to be stowed before you drive that I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    The nice thing about van camping is I can break camp in 15 or 20 min and I do all of my cooking outside. Most of my trips are about mountain biking and getting to trailheads. It's rare that a trailhead makes for nice camping but occasionally it does happen.

My trips are also 1 to 3 weeks in length. I like to travel to different places and trails. So, the time spent getting out of camp is a premium and the day is less about the camping experience. For others hanging out and chilling is what meets the prime directive.

But #vanlife and living out of a van is an entirely different "thing" and it's not for me. The van is a tool and a means to an end.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    It's "vanlife" about *living* in your van? Taking trips is not the same...

mtbr member
    It's "vanlife" about *living* in your van? Taking trips is not the same...
    The thread title is about MTBR van life so I presumed it was about living in one's van for months if not years and mountain biking. Like this dude and his thousand day mtn bike road trip. https://runutsadventures.com/bike/

His original mtbr thread which created a bit of a stir at the time was titled "my life is better than your vacation".

What most find is that the #vanlife glamorous lifestyle of living in a van is not for them and they end up selling it, often at a loss.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    Around here, the Sprinter van "culture" is becoming the butt of jokes since many are used for day trips to the ski hill or trail head. Why do you need so much space just to put your ski boots on? They're becoming the symbol of conspicuous consumption that the Hummer H1 was.
    I see a lot of full sized pickups with campers/rooftop tents sporting "Not another Sprinter" bumper stickers around here. Which I think is amusing. I sold my truck and bought a Promaster, it's my daily driver, so it comes to the ski area with me. It's the same size as my truck was, cheaper than a truck/camper combo and gets better milage.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    I see a lot of full sized pickups with campers/rooftop tents sporting "Not another Sprinter" bumper stickers around here. Which I think is amusing. I sold my truck and bought a Promaster, it's my daily driver, so it comes to the ski area with me. It's the same size as my truck was, cheaper than a truck/camper combo and gets better milage.....
    I'm not really the target audience for this article as I don't have a desire to live full time in a van, but this is my feeling too. So many people out there driving pickup trucks, but vans have the same footprint and are more useful in most situations (for me at least). Obviously if you're hauling dirt/hay/etc. a pickup is better, but having grown up doing work with both, I prefer vans for most things.

mtbr member
    The nice thing about a van especially with kids is that you can freely move from the front seats to the living area. That's a pretty nice feature.

mtbr member
    As far as I'm concerned a van is the most utilitarian vehicle there is. I've owned all sorts of vehicles but since buying my first van I've owned nothing but. Other than being self contained my #1 priority is access. The tranquility and beauty I can access with a van, even for a weekend, really goes a long way toward keeping me half sane. The ease, simplicity, and the proverbial getting away from it all is the closest definition to freedom I've experienced. In this evermore frenetic world it's no wonder (to me) this has caught on in a more main stream way.