Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

MTBR eBike "Survey"

An eBike "survey" just popped up when I just got into MTBR. I filled out the first half which had general questions about one's position regarding eBikes, from an MTBer's point of view. Then it turned into an eBike preferences survey, aka marketing research. What kind of battery would you prefer? What kind of motor would you want? etc etc.

New MTBR owners what are you up to? Why are you doing eBike marketing research?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Why are you doing eBike marketing research?

Because money beats access loss.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    I started taking that survey but for many questions there was no response that wouldn't misrepresent my opinion, so I quit.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree. It did feel like marketing research as I was taking it. I also found it odd that I had to answer a whole bunch of what kind of ebike this and ebike that do I want when I specifically said that I never intend to buy one. I ended up closing it as well.

Definitely disappointed in it being posted and promoted by mtbr.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I felt exactly the same way. Fortunately, on some of the more slanted questions there was "Other" as an option with a comments section.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Music & Bikes
    Agreed but if they see that 98% of survey responds don't give a R*t a*s about motorcycles , maybe they're gonna create a Forum for them.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

My little friends
    I gave allot of "Don't care" answers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I felt exactly the same way. Fortunately, on some of the more slanted questions there was "Other" as an option with a comments section.
    Ya, same here. And in any part where I can add my two-cent, I let it be known that I highly dislike eBikes. IMHO they fly in the face of what bicycling should be.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Why no "burn in hell' option?

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post

The last question is - What would you like to see from eBike companies? I said bankruptcy, but burn in hell would work too.

EAT MORE GRIME
    I pooped all over that survey.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Speaking of such, here's a great article regarding ebikes...
    http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...-satan-mostly/

One of the best lines in that article:
    "... if you canít get there under your own power, whereís the sense of accomplishment in achieving that feat thanks to the use of a motor?"
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

mtbr member
    Seems kind of tone deaf one the part of the head minion. Kind of like trying to hand out whiskey sours at an AA meeting. Who knows tho, may there's a silent and sizable group of ebike likers they hope to capitalize on. Will it be worth the raft of $hit they get from the anti-ebike members? Could it be a way to gauge whether to add eBikes to the MTBR mix? Maybe they'll tell us. Or not.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    IMHO they fly in the face of what bicycling should be.
    They do, no question. But what has one got to do with the other? That's like saying, "I'll never go to the movies because I take my lunch to work!"

Don't want an e-bike? Don't get one. Feel threatened by a new sport? Maybe you should stop confusing your sport with another one.

E-biking is e-biking. It's not mountain biking. In 2018 mountain bikers are treating e-bikers exactly the way hikers treated mountain bikers 30 years ago. I know because I was fighting for mountain bike access 30 years ago. Existing trail users always resist new trail users. Always.

What if someone developed an off-road razor scooter. Everyone would be clamoring to keep them off the trails.

E-biking is a new sport. It's not mountain biking. Of all people, mountain bikers should be the last to be confused about this. Let's let e-bikers earn trail access on their own merit and quit acting like they're part of our sport.

And let's stop being so emotional about them, like hikers were about mountain bikes.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I skewed the results. And will gladly keep skewing the results.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

One of the best lines in that article:
    "... if you canít get there under your own power, whereís the sense of accomplishment in achieving that feat thanks to the use of a motor?"
    Let's see....

1. Many awesome biking resorts have chair lifts.

2. Many trails have shuttles to take you back to the top.

3. Ever watch mountain biking competition sports (e.g. x-games)? It's always a downhill race, with the riders being shuttled to the top. Personally I don't think I've ever seen an uphill race which shows "accomplishment".

Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    Let's see....

Personally I don't think I've ever seen an uphill race which shows "accomplishment".

Then you haven't seen dick.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Then you haven't seen dick.
    Maybe he doesn't swing that way.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Let's see....

3. Ever watch mountain biking competition sports (e.g. x-games)? It's always a downhill race, with the riders being shuttled to the top. Personally I don't think I've ever seen an uphill race which shows "accomplishment".
    and it only took 16 posts for the thread to get derailed into off-topic oblivion

good JORB howie
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Let's see....

You've brough up a few good points, except, you've completely missed the reasons behind those 3 points. Let me help....

1. Key word there is "bike resorts". Bike resorts are known purely for their technical rides, jumps, flows and all going "down" wind. You don't go to bike parts to see how amazing you are at climbing.
    2. Trails with shuttles, see my point right above. In addition, those that have lifts are generally for a particular style of riding... DH and Enduro... perhaps even XC with lots of downs.
    3. By this line, it appears you do understand.

If you weren't aware, that article was for every day folks like you and I, where part of the enjoyment of the ride is tackling those ups or making it another extra few miles by your own power.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    They do, no question. But what has one got to do with the other? That's like saying, "I'll never go to the movies because I take my lunch to work!"

Don't want an e-bike? Don't get one. Feel threatened by a new sport? Maybe you should stop confusing your sport with another one.

E-biking is e-biking. It's not mountain biking. In 2018 mountain bikers are treating e-bikers exactly the way hikers treated mountain bikers 30 years ago. I know because I was fighting for mountain bike access 30 years ago. Existing trail users always resist new trail users. Always.

What if someone developed an off-road razor scooter. Everyone would be clamoring to keep them off the trails.

E-biking is a new sport. It's not mountain biking. Of all people, mountain bikers should be the last to be confused about this. Let's let e-bikers earn trail access on their own merit and quit acting like they're part of our sport.

And let's stop being so emotional about them, like hikers were about mountain bikes.
    =sParty
    Great post, I don't get it, it is not cycling, it is another sport.

mtbr member
    Kinda agree. My main concern is about when batteries and motors get good enough to turn them from assisted pedaling to electric motorcycles - which is already happening. I don't much care about assisted pedaling, as long as the power is modest and is just to assist, not drive the bike. It's not for me - but as with any other rider out there, as long as they are safe and reasonably courteous, so what. But a full out motorcycle, electric or otherwise, has no place on shared trails.

Frankly, I think hikers have more reason to be concerned about mountain bikers than mountain bikers have to be concerned about e-bikers. That is, until they become e-motorcyclers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    You've brough up a few good points, except, you've completely missed the reasons behind those 3 points. Let me help....

1. Key word there is "bike resorts". Bike resorts are known purely for their technical rides, jumps, flows and all going "down" wind. You don't go to bike parts to see how amazing you are at climbing.
    Why not? Don't you want that sense of accomplishment at bike parks? So you only want the sense of accomplishment on your local trails? Not making sense to me.

P.S. - Just bought a Cannondale Scalpel SI one month ago (and sold my Yeti). I alternate between using my Haibike and Cannondale almost every time I go (2-3 times a week). I love both my bikes - both are fun - and they're both a heck of a workout. Just a different type of workout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    and it only took 16 posts for the thread to get derailed into off-topic oblivion

good JORB howie
    True nuff, and I did it too. You can't herd cats and you can't control a forum thread.

So, Head Minion, what is the deal with that survey?

mtbr member
    Why not? Don't you want that sense of accomplishment at bike parks? So you only want the sense of accomplishment on your local trails? Not making sense to me.

P.S. - Just bought a Cannondale Scalpel SI one month ago (and sold my Yeti). I alternate between using my Haibike and Cannondale almost every time I go (2-3 times a week). I love both my bikes - both are fun - and they're both a heck of a workout. Just a different type of workout.
    C'mon, now I think you're just being an ass. The point I was making with the bike park statement is that fact that they're not built and people don't go to them for the climbs.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

www.ninjichor.com
    Wonder what the #s will be.

- Total # of respondents under 2000?
    - Percentage of respondents being anti-ebike (motor vehicle only trails, pavement/street only added up) under 15%?
    - Percentage having an indifferent view ~45%?
    - Percentage concerned about losing trail access 90+%?

If you actually list/count the number of people being dicks about ebikes, doesn't seem like many at all, hence the estimate of under 15%. Survey's all about seeing what the lurkers happen to agree with, who are trying to stay anonymous, I guess...

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post

Oh, there is that option, but it's being applied to you. The industry wants that money and to hell with us and human powered riding experience!

mtbr member

Agree, it is a DIFFERENT type of workout, because it is a different sport.

mtbr member
    It was a terrible survey, but I found out you don't have to select anything when it gets to the question about brands, motors and all that shit.

My last response was: "I will never buy an eBike." The survey should end there.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    It was a terrible survey, but I found out you don't have to select anything when it gets to the question about brands, motors and all that shit.

My last response was: "I will never buy and eBike." The survey should end there.
    LOL, that's exactly what I was expecting it to do.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

Music & Bikes
    I love both my bikes - both are fun - and they're both a heck of a workout. Just a different type of workout.
    Yep , one is a good workout for the wrist , I agree.

Can't wait for the 3 wheeled e-MTB to appear on the market !!!!
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    The whole thing was very poorly put together. It conflated two very different subjects into a single survey.

1. General attitudes about e-bikes.

2. Marketing questions for current and prospective e-bikes users.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

EAT MORE GRIME
    waitin for gutch to arrive and bless this thread

SS Pusher Man
    Second half, the questions were very leading......

kinda like "when was the first time you robbed a bank...Yesterday or today?"
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    It just came to me. You're not gonna like it.

Ads. For e-bikes. You heard it here first.

It just came to me. You're not gonna like it.

Ads. For e-bikes. You heard it here first.

What are "ads"?

poser Administrator

=sParty
    I've never thought of it this way but it is truly an excellent way to view it and since MTBR has a car forum and i video forum it makes sense that it has an e-bike forum as many mountain bikers also like cars and like making videos of their sport and drinking beer and we have forums for those not specifically mountain bike related forums. However it is a slippery slope, as i bet a lot of you like to hike, many of you like to shoot and hunt. Where are those forums? What is the threshold where we have enough cross over to promote a forum as being related enough to mountain biking that it should be included here? Especially as seen through the filter of forums like the car and the beer forum.

As an aside you can do the survey and not fill out the product specific items and then finish the survey if you are non-ebike curious. That way you can log your opinion about these items whilst not logging the buying preferences.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    I had to leave half the questions blank:

What would you choose?
    What is important to you?
    What do you want from ebike producers?

Nothing, nothing, less production.

"What do you want from ebike producers?"

Bankruptcy.

jja
    mtbr member
    The pop-up on every page is rilly rilly annoying. If it keeps up, I will stay away from mtbr and not load any of its ads.

Gnar? I didn't see it...

Bankruptcy.
    Nice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Meh - ebikes seem like a great way to commute. Getting cars off the road and stuff..
    And Sparty might be right about new sport..
    But still I don't want any damn mtb style ebikes on my lawn.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Best case scenario for trails: ebikes are motor vehicles, not tolerated.

Best case for planet, traffic, roads and public health: ebikes are bikes, no barriers to use ( no insurance, strict laws etc ), entice as many people as possible to get off 4 wheels and onto 2.

mtbr member
    "What do you want from eBike producers?"

A marketing campaign strictly aimed at commuters and people with disabilities - not mtbers.
    Is this where I write something witty?

mbtr member
    Next week will be a similar poll about snowmobiling.

Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    Best case scenario for trails: ebikes are motor vehicles
    How is this even up for debate?! ...Oh right, the scent of money.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sneaker man
    filled it out, basically N, No, No fk off ebikes...but then it got to the"what sort of ebike will you buy.blah bah"...luckily all those were optional, so I declined to answer, and submitted.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I put "Less ebikes".

What do you do when you see an ebiker on the trail?
    Take my pants off.

I got sick of being asked so I too the survey and answered with as much nonsensical crap as I could think of. Hopefully they'll give up on it if enough people do that.

passed out in your garden
    what a totally fv<ked survey, nuff said
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I started taking that survey but for many questions there was no response that wouldn't misrepresent my opinion, so I quit.
    me too!!! I ride motorcycles if I want powered 2 wheels, and my trail access is already limited enough. I have no interest in an ebike, and when it turned into a marketing questionnaire, I just quit. The results will be very biased now.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    An eBike "survey" just popped up when I just got into MTBR. I filled out the first half which had general questions about one's position regarding eBikes, from an MTBer's point of view. Then it turned into an eBike preferences survey, aka marketing research. What kind of battery would you prefer? What kind of motor would you want? etc etc.

New MTBR owners what are you up to? Why are you doing eBike marketing research?
    Kind of a sneaky way to get us to take the survey in my opinion.

MTBR eBike &quot;Survey&quot;-e87d260d-d046-4259-94b5-39b5a54398c8.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    MTBR eBike &quot;Survey&quot;-surveyspam.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTBR eBike &quot;Survey&quot;-surveyspam.jpg  

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post
    "What do you want from eBike producers?"

A marketing campaign strictly aimed at commuters and people with disabilities - not mtbers.
    Wow, very similar to what I put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

EAT MORE GRIME
    the whole mechanism of the survey and mtbr is flawed

I filled it out once, then get slapped with the popup again and again but it should remember me, and I am not gaming the system to make the survey pop up more than once

but

since it is in my face multiple times a day, I will fill it out again and again.

it's useless though, owners of this site do not care and won't do a damn thing to suppress ebike noise from us hard riding, zero-motor, OG's

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Kind of a sneaky way to get us to take the survey in my opinion.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E87D260D-D046-4259-94B5-39B5A54398C8.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	1211504
    Sneaky? How?
    You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
    Khizr Khan

Rabid Lana fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Sneaky? How?
    Is the "no thanks" option greyed out?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have no issues with ebikes even though I don't ride one myself but the survey shouldn't pop up every time you come to the site after it's been completed or been marked as 'no thanks'
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Of course it was a marketing data collection exercise that the site owners can then sell to advertisers as a way to draw sponsors to the site.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Sneaky? How?
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Is the "no thanks" option greyed out?
    Maybe not sneaky more so than pushy. Ebikes donít belong on a mountain bike site so why ask questions to mtbrs pertaining to marketing them?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

One ring to mash them all
    Why do others keep getting the popup if they already filled out the survey? I did it once and haven't seen the popup since.
    You are not required to set yourself on fire to keep other people warm.

mtbr member
    there's a part of me that thinks the industry should milk e-bikers for every penny they are willing to spend on e-bikes, then spend it on making regular bikes more affordable for people who actually ride. I doubt that e-bike customers are often long-term industry customers. they buy an e-bike because they have money burning a hole in their pocket and ride it twice. seems like a waste of material and increased impact on the environment though, so I am not sure that's worth it.

maybe when an e-bike causes a massive wildfire, the tide will turn on them. or has that already happened?

Speaking of such, here's a great article regarding ebikes...
    http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb...-satan-mostly/
    backed! although I would add that some of us don't climb just so we can descend. I like the climb just for the sake of climbing, but maybe I'm a weirdo.

CEO Product Failure
    Finished the survey. Lots of questions without enough choices. Where applicable, I violated the "other" answer option. :-D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I complete the survey. Do I win a prize?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    $25 off your next plumbing repair.

A new Yeti cooler. You have to sign for it so don't leave the house.

mtbr member

a portable pressure washer. survey offer not valid in Canada.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Why do others keep getting the popup if they already filled out the survey? I did it once and haven't seen the popup since.
    Same here, so far.

Meh on the marketing survey. I'm kind of neutral on this subject, but a few situations on the trail are starting to change my mind. I'm thinking that is the "rider" not the bike, but with that kind of power in the wrong hands, it can turn ugly quickly.

I'm totally OK for commuting and people that truly needed it though.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    a portable pressure washer. survey offer not valid in Canada.
    Damnit. Why do Canucks get short end of the stick?

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Second half, the questions were very leading......

kinda like "when was the first time you robbed a bank...Yesterday or today?"
    yeah, once you post that you have no intentions of buying an eBike there should be no "what brands" do you like options anymore.

I would love to own a commuter eBike, but never a eMTB, there should be some clarification on that in the survey, so misleading.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

MTBR eBike &quot;Survey&quot;-jim-carrey-2.jpg

Any more questions?

mtbr member
    for the questions that don't have an appropriate option for an answer, chose "other" and type NA for "not applicable."

It's the speedo. You gotta let the little fella breathe.

Make America Bike Again

=sParty

OK, e-biking may not be mountain biking. But it's hard to argue that a bike that has similar gearing and often the same suspension as mountain bikes cannot be mountain bikes. You take off the motor and battery and what do you have? Do you have a fixie bike? A gravel bike? No, you have a mountain bike. Yes I agree it's not the same as mountain biking. But you take a person that never mountain biked, and you tell them where someone is going an an e-mountain bike, up hills, up mountains, away from civilization, on all kinds of trails and fire roads, and ask them if they think it's mountain biking. The answer will be yes of course. Maybe they are wrong but they are the ones with a fresh set of eyes that are unbiased either way.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Upcyclist
    Cool heads prevail

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    ok, e-biking may not be mountain biking. But it's hard to argue that a bike that has similar gearing and often the same suspension as mountain bikes cannot be mountain bikes. You take off the motor and battery and what do you have? Do you have a fixie bike? A gravel bike? No, you have a mountain bike. Yes i agree it's not the same as mountain biking. But you take a person that never mountain biked, and you tell them where someone is going an an e-mountain bike, up hills, up mountains, away from civilization, on all kinds of trails and fire roads, and ask them if they think it's mountain biking. The answer will be yes of course. Maybe they are wrong but they are the ones with a fresh set of eyes that are unbiased either way.

wtaf?

mtbr member
    I really want to try rock climbing, but I don't want to have to do all that climbing. I need an electric winch to pull me up the rock so I can climb more mountains.

kayaking would be so much more fun if I could motorize my kayak.

I was going to go running this afternoon, but my Acme rocket-powered sneakers will be so much more fun than doing all that sweating. hopefully they don't run out of fuel 20 miles away from home, because these things weigh 22 pounds each!

(I kid, but I am sure there's a market for that nonsense.)

mtbr member
    I really want to try rock climbing, but I don't want to have to do all that climbing. I need an electric winch to pull me up the rock so I can climb more mountains.

I was going to go running this afternoon, but my Acme rocket-powered sneakers will be so much more fun than doing all that sweating. hopefully they don't run out of fuel 20 miles away from home, because these things weigh 22 pounds each!

Hahaha! Love the climbing one. Brilliant!
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Ask and you shall receive...

ActSafe ACX Power Ascender - Battery Powered Winch - Remote Control Battery Powered Ascender - Electric Winch - ActSafe electric Winch

You're still getting exercise, so go for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member

You're still getting exercise, so go for it.
    I am sure some dingbat will try to use that on a climbing wall, but it looks like that's intended for military, industrial, emergency use.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I am sure some dingbat will try to use that on a climbing wall, but it looks like that's intended for military, industrial, emergency use.
    ...and Batman

mtbr member
    OK, e-biking may not be mountain biking. But it's hard to argue that a bike that has similar gearing and often the same suspension as mountain bikes cannot be mountain bikes. You take off the motor and battery and what do you have? Do you have a fixie bike? A gravel bike? No, you have a mountain bike. Yes I agree it's not the same as mountain biking. But you take a person that never mountain biked, and you tell them where someone is going an an e-mountain bike, up hills, up mountains, away from civilization, on all kinds of trails and fire roads, and ask them if they think it's mountain biking. The answer will be yes of course. Maybe they are wrong but they are the ones with a fresh set of eyes that are unbiased either way.
    Wrong all around, how is it then that ebikes are now coming with, wait for it, ebrakes, etires, ewheels, edrivetrain. They no longer use the same shocks and parts a mountain bike does. You can also use all the above for motos as well.

mtbr member
    ...and Batman
    no, silly. Batman has one of these:
    MTBR eBike &quot;Survey&quot;-grappling-gun.jpg

and so do I, because I am Batman.

Not helpful.

and so do I, because I am Batman.
    Whaaaaa?

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/vide...his-own-hands/
    You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
    Khizr Khan

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    Whaaaaa?
    cha Wacha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.ninjichor.com

Sounds fun, honestly.

Bouldering in nature, rather than spending ages practicing grip strength. Heck, probably don't even need to change into climbing shoes, just use approach shoes, or whatever you used to get there. MTB to the spot and then winch-assist up the climb, then maybe use electronics to go fish easier (e.g. fish finder), or do whatever other outdoor stuff...

Kayaking upstream! Pack some cargo, maybe even your mtb, on the trip!

Would love to run as fast as Usain Bolt, for much longer distances. Maybe jump far and high.

Yes, there's a market for everything. They're not the same, but fill a niche, perhaps between two others. Jetpacking ain't squirrel-suiting, motorized paragliding ain't paragliding. Do this while mountain biking, and it's a whole new discipline.

The problem is that "pre-existing users" are claiming seniority and calling to ban new user groups. They don't want to deal with sharing the same space, with something they feel is fairly exclusive due to its "extreme" nature. It's akin to being snobby. Like judging people by what they drink, Bud, IPA, or whatever...

Cycologist
    Ask a child what a bike with a motor is called.

And your question to a person that never mountain biked, you could just as easily be describing what a dirt bike (as in ice) does, "up hills, up mountains, away from civilization, on all kinds of trails and fire roads". So is a dirt bike on trails mountain biking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No option for: Allow on SOME trails.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

MTBR eBike &quot;Survey&quot;

I did took the boring survey. Donít like eBikes on trail.

And BTW, a beat an eBike going up a rock garden in Anadele State Park and I was using my old 26Ē hard tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I skewed the results. And will gladly keep skewing the results.
    Me too.

Bipolar roller
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Ask a child what a bike with a motor is called.

And your question to a person that never mountain biked, you could just as easily be describing what a dirt bike (as in ice) does, "up hills, up mountains, away from civilization, on all kinds of trails and fire roads". So is a dirt bike on trails mountain biking?
    Excellent post.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

the half breed devil
    lots of "no", "none" and "nothing" answers.

the half breed devil
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle

"A bicycle, also called a cycle or bike, is a human-powered, pedal-driven, single-track vehicle, having two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other. A bicycle rider is called a cyclist, or bicyclist."

what part of "human powered" is an ebike?

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    what part of "human powered" is an ebike?
    they haven't got e-brakes or e-steering yet, but I guess thats coming soon
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Sounds fun, honestly.

Bouldering in nature, rather than spending ages practicing grip strength. Heck, probably don't even need to change into climbing shoes, just use approach shoes, or whatever you used to get there.
    I just came from 2 weeks of riding in Alps and Dolomites (I'm more of XC guy, so I ride uphill myself too) and I can tell you you don't need anything for ebikes... I'm far from slow or unfit, and I can reach 1000+W on test for about 1.5-2min, yet people in jeans and flipflops, and seat seat 10cm to low, on 25kg emtb bikes, were overtaking me on steep long climbs. Those 250W (if locked) are more then enough, that you don't even sweat when "climbing" up 25% climb under scourging sun. So when people say they still need to push, it's really you need to spin your legs easily to set speed, while motor does the job. Basically same, as motorbike drives still needs to push gas handle on handlebar... about same effort.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Would love to run as fast as Usain Bolt, for much longer distances. Maybe jump far and high.
    Based on this, that obviously riding motor that looks like mtb up on mtb trails is considered cycling, I guess you already "run" faster then Bolt... I'm sure you drive faster with car then those 40km/h Bolt is running. So if riding motorbike, errr sorry e-mtb I meant, means cycling, then riding car equals running
    Primoz

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    No option for: Allow on SOME trails.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Yup. Shitty survey.

mtbr member
    ...and so do I, because I am Batman.
    OMG Hahahaah!! Busted up laughing out loud right here at work. Dammit! Now everyone knows I'm reading some forum vs actually working.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

mtbr member
    Dear MTBR New Owners,

I though our new owners were going to bring a new level of technical sophistication to the site.

Can you send me an email when you pull that damn pop-up asking me to take the survey I already took? Then I'll know it's safe to check in without getting annoyed all over again.

And do the new owners have anything to say about this survey? If they did, I missed it. This is not a case where silence is golden. Unless the truth is uglier than all the speculation.

If your goal was to annoy a lot of MTBR members, you've succeeded admirably.

Yours truly,
    Gasp
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 08-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    I was okay with the commuting aspect of e-bikes.

Or at least, I was until this guy almost took me down.

Teach me not to dawdle on the bike path.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

OMG Hahahaah!! Busted up laughing out loud right here at work. Dammit! Now everyone knows I'm reading some forum vs actually working.
    That happened to me too, except it was about half way through the survey.

CEO Product Failure
    E-bikes are comparable to mountain biking in the same way that segway is comparable to running.

If you add a motor, it changes EVERYTHING:

- it changes the intended use of the path/singletrack.
    - it changes the safety of other users.
    - the motor attracts other users (good or bad) who otherwise would have no interest/business riding/running.
    - it increases risk for all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Same. I thought it was a genuine survey then it became clear that it was a sham aimed at gaining marketing information for eBike manufacturers. Pretty disgusted actually.

I joined a cycling forum and pulling sneaky shite like that frankly pisses me off. I'm not here to feed your money making agenda. You want an eBike forum? Be careful or you might get get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast