MTB Terms/Lingo you and your riding buddies came up with...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

MTB Terms/Lingo you and your riding buddies came up with...

Here are mine. I know this is a bit to ask of the General section, but please don't turn this into a flame fest. It's all in good fun!

Trail Zombies: Meandering/clueless, new REI outfit wearing, weekend warrior, trail walkers.

Cardio Geezers: Old guys who have a ton of cardio (climbing endurance) but fear/avoid/take-it-easy on the technical

Cherry/Cherries: Hot chick riders (pig tails, shorty shorts, etc.)

Hucksters: Young male riders, amped out on Red Bull and Monster Energy Drinks, railing down trails.

Dirty Road Ride: Riding only fire roads.

Any terms/lingo you've come up with?

Terrain Sculptor
    Mo-tards : Throttle twisters who can't tell the difference between a bicycle trail and a quad or dirt bike trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    I ran into some Trail Zombies on my last ride. Rockin' out with ear buds.

We call them Zipper Brains though. Before they leave the house they zip open their head and remove their brains. Then proceed to venture outdoors.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Crazy Cat on Carpet - when traction is purrrfect...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The term is I-POD zombies.

mtbr member
    Dan-Cut = We have a rider named Dan in our group who constantly lags behind and often walks hills and obstacles. However, he has been blessed with the mind of a Magellan and knows every shortcut there is so he often appears ahead of us at intersections he knows we will stop at. Thus, if you know a shortcut to get somewhere, it will be termed a Dan-Cut.

Pale Rider
    When the point of the seat jams your britches into your rectum you have been Sanduskied.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    The term is I-POD zombies.
    Those are called Pod People.

AZ
    banned
    Muppets. The particularly clueless or stupid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    flowner: flow-boner. That feeling you get after riding a particularly sick trail withendless amounts of flow.

mtbr member
    We didn't come up with it but:
    Credit Card ride: taking the downhill portion of the ride first leaving the uphill for last

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Trail-Dick: A rider who acts like he owns the trail, doesn't acknowledge you presence, etc.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

TOP TIER LURKER
    We refer to low hanging branches along any given trail as "Jon's branch". He's really tall and tends to hit his helmet on them.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    We refer to low hanging branches along any given trail as "Jon's branch". He's really tall and tends to hit his helmet on them.
    Hehe! There’s a sasquatch we ride with who is always hitting his head on a tree branch going up Rocky Ridge trail that no one else seems to hit their head on. I won’t mention names, he knows who he is!
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Here are mine. I know this is a bit to ask of the General section, but please don't turn this into a flame fest. It's all in good fun!

Trail Zombies: Meandering/clueless, new REI outfit wearing, weekend warrior, trail walkers.

Cardio Geezers: Old guys who have a ton of cardio (climbing endurance) but fear/avoid/take-it-easy on the technical

Cherry/Cherries: Hot chick riders (pig tails, shorty shorts, etc.)

Hucksters: Young male riders, amped out on Red Bull and Monster Energy Drinks, railing down trails.

Dirty Road Ride: Riding only fire roads.

Any terms/lingo you've come up with?
    So, what would you call a rider who always shows up with the stupidest bike choice? I know a few of them—I am one of them.

mtbr member
    *Sarcasm*
    Idiots: Any american walking the trails. They never. ever. ever. ever. hear/see you coming, even if there is a 500 ft straight path and they are coming towards you and even if you shout. And when you notice you they usually jump like scared rabbits, nearly injuring themselves or you in the process.

Im about ready to mount a foghorn on my bike.

Terrain Sculptor
    ^^^ This
    I don't have a name for them. Maybe someone can come up with one.
    The hikers who jump a little and then move over to the left when you call out "Passing on your left".
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tehgyb View Post
    flowner: flow-boner. That feeling you get after riding a particularly sick trail withendless amounts of flow.
    Also known as a soul boner

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    TryHard Anyone who wears roadie gear (spandex, lyrcra ect) on trails. We also use this term to refer to the Cardio Geezers the OP mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    OBOS - Owned By Owen Syndrome.

One of our friends just had the worst luck with components, everything he fitted to his bike seemed to break or malfunction in some ridiculous or inopportune way

Grank(ing) - Spinning/grinding in the smallest ring (i.e. the 'granny ring,' so granny + crank = grank). This started off when we were doing trials stuff, but works better for XC I think.

Just Ride
    I use the term Trail Zombies as well. Usually to refer to hikers. But occasionally there are bikers who fall into this category.

My brother in law calls skinny lycra clad speed demons with seemingly inexhaustible amounts of energy Saddle Jockeys.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Bite Me.
    crashing is either "taking a soil sample" or "checking out the real estate" - no claim for authorship here, but when you crash in Moab it's usually a "Slickrock facial"
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Haud yer wheesht!
    So, try something different. I invented the sayings, now you tell me what they mean.

Peenerds.

Hatchet Fairies.

Plastic faxes.

Tai-stick breakfast (that's one's pretty obvious. )

Recycled rubber.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by arkon11 View Post
    TryHard Anyone who wears roadie gear (spandex, lyrcra ect) on trails. We also use this term to refer to the Cardio Geezers the OP mentioned.
    We’re the ones passing you up the hills.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Obama trail: a trail that was hyped as an epic ride, great piece of singletrack, but after you ride it you are disappointed as not living up to the reputation.

Life is Short...Ride Hard
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Obama trail: a trail that was hyped as an epic ride, great piece of singletrack, but after you ride it you are disappointed as not living up to the reputation.
    Fantastic!!! I have ridden a few Obama trails, very disappointing
    Santa Cruz Highball
    Trek Fuel 70

mtbr member
    Stravatards (self explanatory)

Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I also have Jon's Helmet to prove it

Haud yer wheesht!
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    But you can ride any day you want because you're jobless!

And are you a better rider than you were 4 years ago?

tRump is SCUM.

Professional Crastinator

"Hot Dog Root"

When you are flying down a featureless trail just looking for something to huck off of, all it takes is a tiny root to boost a typical bunny hop into some sort of aerial display. This is a "hot dog root" provided so you can pull off some improvised "hot dog" maneuver.

Etiquette suggests that you yell "Hot dog!" on the launch.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    But you can ride any day you want because you're jobless!

And are you a better rider than you were 4 years ago?

Oh man I just lold

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    "Fermenter Maxims" - Rules & Guidelines for successful MTB riding as articulated by my visionary riding partner, Fermenter (actually "Dan," but whatever . . . )

Fermenter Maxim #1 is the most oft-cited - "The easiest line is always straight over the big, scary thing."

The construction of #2 changes, but generally goes as follows: "Every time you puss out and don't wheelie-drop, a kitten dies painfully . . . "

Etc etc . . . The frequency with which the Maxims change and the harshness of the rhetoric employed is directly proportional to the number of beers consumed and/or big rock drops run on any given bike trip.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Whenever someone performs any kind of trick/jump/ariel display on a mountain bike, me and my mate mutter "f***in' BMXer"

90% of the time it's just jealousy
    I scurry away with my hardtail between my legs

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    About 5 years ago, buddy of mine cleaned me (and himself) out @25mph on a concrete path after working on some trails...resulted in some serious roadrash and gouges in the concrete.

Now whenever someone makes an aggressive pass when our group is out riding, we yell out "Vitt Pass!!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bro-Rider - Dudes you see on the trails that ride a reflector laden wally world bike, sans helmet, shirtless, and wearing flipflops. They are usually spotted in groups.

Seriously I have encountered a ton of Bro-riders riding in over their heads on some gnarly trails. I always see them in the parking lot afterward scraped and bruised to hell...cracks me up.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Foo-foo rider -- a rider of LIMITED skill who slapped down the VISA for a $4K bike (usually a Gary Fisher or Trek), and can't even stay on the trail. Walks a 3% grade, up OR down, stuff like that. Plus, they talk sh** about everyone else's bikes, until someone does a trick on the trail they secretly wish they could do; then they shut up for about ten minutes or so.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Haud yer wheesht!
    "Binders full of women"

MTB mag with plenty of riding females pictured. I believe it's Bill Clinton's favorite issue.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    tRump is SCUM.

Your Best Friend
    YARD SALE Any crash involving the strewing of gear along the trail.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Sony - make believe: my friend coined this term; mostly as a way to describe epic sessions that occur more in the Playstation-world than in reality.... It also serves well as a reply to "Dude, I totally cleared that section blind-folded, without hands!" > "Yeah, sure... Sony - make believe."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Dirt hug When you wreck so fast you cant get a hand out for protection.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post
    Fantastic!!! I have ridden a few Obama trails, very disappointing
    Yup. I guided on these all summer. Except the only person hyping them was the owner/guy who laid them out.
    Go ride your bike.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Head Pressure: A drop we built on our local XC trails that is pretty spooky to hit but is really VERY easy. The name is very relevant, since:
    -It gets in your head and freaks you out.
    -The pressure is on to make it, since the bypass tacks another 15 seconds onto the descent.
    -It is at the top of a ridge by the city water tanks, so the drop down from a water source is head pressure.

Junky A hack, one who rides incessantly, always as fast as they possibly can. They never analyze their riding. They typically get their wheels off the ground as often as possible (see "huckster"). When "leading" rides, they insist upon always being in front. They plow through sections, cannot pump, and often skid their tires. If they do carry a pack, it probably does not have a tube, pump, multitool, water, or food. Instead a dime bag and a bowl are likely to be found.
    Go ride your bike.

poser Administrator
    When my wife was first learning to ride she was clipping along this trail and it dumped into a gravelly wash. I yelled to her that a wash was coming up and to slow a bit. She looked back at me and yelled "What?" at the exact moment her bike landed in the wash. She OTB-ed and plowed into the wash with her arms crossed across her chest and her feet snapped up to her helmet as she slowed (scorpioning) when she got up we admired the rut she had made in the gravel and immediately termed it an auger for the tool that furrows the ground in farm land.

So whenever some one crashes we assess whether they scorpioned (ouch) and whether it was an auger style of crash, as in "wow he really augered that one.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Members who have read this thread: 0