MTB & Protection Gear- Mtbr.com

May 2009

MTB & Protection Gear

Hey guys my name is Kevin, Iím a designer at PRO-TEC. Iím doing some research on how you guys deal with lids and pads and what you think of protective gear. Iíd be stoked if you gave me some feedback on the questions, and any other comments you want to share. Appreciate your help!

1. Can you describe PRO-TEC in a few (3-5) key words, and point out where the brand is different in comparison to other protective gear brands.

2. Tell me about your worst experience with protective gear, and what you absolutely hate about your gear?

3. Do you like to customize your protective gear? Why and how do you do this?

4. Do you see trends in protective gear in terms of what will be hip in a few years?

5. What would be your favorite product improvement in protection gear?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Your helmets are nothing like a cycling helmet and not functional for this sport. I only wear a cycling helmet and gloves. They are simple and they work. Trendiness is not an issue, only function.

May 2009
    check out the "cyphon" on www.pro-tec.net. how do you like this one for biking?

DOOM
    I did not equate the name 'Pro-Tec' with the logo until I Google it and went to the web site.

I see a ton of kids wearing Pro-Tec helmets at our local skate park and have seen them on TV in various places.

Down the road I think lightweight is obviously a big thing as is cooling (I'm in Arizona).

That is my complaint about my current gear although if I had to choose I would rather be hot than ripped to shreds.

I currently wear a Bell Faction helmet which I chose because I don't want to wear a helmet that looks like a traditional bicycle helmet.

I also don't want to compromise on a safety certification for the sake of fashion or a look.

So it is always a balance.

Had I been aware of Pro-Tec bicycle helmets I definitely would have checked them out and will check them out if/when my Faction gives up the ghost.

As for gear I use sixsixone (661) for elbow/arm and shin/knee which works fine.

I think a key would be to expand Pro-Tec's presence as far as making it clear that Pro-Tec does MTB as well as BMX/dirt which seems to be where Pro-Tec is more established.

Bike to the Bone...
    I will tell you that I won't buy your helmets, not because they look bad (actually, I like the Auger and the Cypher), but the real reason is that the XL is small (around 60cm). I have a large head and I really have to search to find a helmet that fit. Specially full face helmets, even some XXL doesn't fit (and when I go to the site they show the XXL at 62-63.

The closest fiting full face helmet has been the Specialized Deviant in large, and they don't make a XL size (but I'm pretty sure that an Deviant in XL size would fit me perfectly).

Sorry for comparing brands, but I really need a full face that fits and haven't been able to find one, and find it weird that most brands providing a XL size are really not that large.

Edit. I liked the graphics on both helmets.

mtbr member
    The cyphon still looks like a skate helmet with some minor changes. If you want to capture the mt bike audience I would suggest starting from the ground up and making a mt bike specific helmet.

I had a Pro-Tec Ace, but my Giro Hex is much more comfortable, stays put, and gives me the coverage I need with the style I want.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Hey guys my name is Kevin, I’m a designer at PRO-TEC. I’m doing some research on how you guys deal with lids and pads and what you think of protective gear. I’d be stoked if you gave me some feedback on the questions, and any other comments you want to share. Appreciate your help!

1. Can you describe PRO-TEC in a few (3-5) key words, and point out where the brand is different in comparison to other protective gear brands.

2. Tell me about your worst experience with protective gear, and what you absolutely hate about your gear?

4. Do you see trends in protective gear in terms of what will be hip in a few years?

We buy pro-tec for whitewater, and your helmets don't fit all shape heads very well,(iow, sucks) and the adjustability for that is pretty minimal. (this would be the "what we hate" comment.)
    My hubby has taken utility knives to the foam before to try and get more comfort. Because we are rafters, not kayakers, we don't look at a lot of the other hardshell brands.

-the price point is good, and they are lightweight.
    - we customize them by using one of those velcro visor jobs by Salamander
    -while the drain holes are important for whitewater, it would be nice to be able to close them when it's pouring rain.
    -I am still mad at my son for losing my pink one.

Air Pirate
    I looked at both the Pro-Tec Cyphon and a THE Industries F-14. I went with the THE helmet for these reasons:

1. The F-14 seemed lighter and better ventillated. I live in Sacramento CA, where we have pretty hot summers.

2. The fit of the Cyphon was a bit "round" and my head evidentially is a bit "oval". This made for some pressure points I just did not want to have to try and work out. Should feel good in the shop, let alone out on the trail.

3. Graphics on the F-14 looked good, whereas the Cyphons I could find in the biggest sizes were kinda bland.

4. Locating a Cyphon at a good deal pricepoint (online and local) was trouble. I found a deal on the F-14 easier.

Both helmets appeared to offer the extra lower head coverage I was interested in. I saw a good real-world review of the Cyphon on the MTBR board when a user of that helmet extolled it's virtues after being involved in a gnarly Sierra wreck. The construction of the helmet seemed very robust, but the type of riding I do is more XC, so I was looking for coverage+vent+low weight. If I was freeriding I would probably look into the Cyphon.

As far as the other protection you offer, it all looks good for the intended use. I have not worn any knee or elbow pads while riding, but as I get older I see the possibiity of that kind of protection. I would want something flexible for XC that is also low-key in the styling. Something other than hard-plastic protection, but not as flimsy as the Pro-Tec Gasket covert pads. Something similar to the 661 EVO pads with the D3O stuff, but with something a bit tougher-but-still flexible than 661 has covering those pads...kevlar perhaps?

About the only other thing that may interest me in your line-up is the back protection. At the end of 2007 I was in a car accident that left me with with some dislocated discs in my backbone. Every time I ride I always have the worry that if I bailed I might slam on my back, hit something solid, and cause more injury or at the very least unbearable pain. Having a flexible, breathable, but stable back protector is something I have been thinking about picking up. Perhaps the Pro-Tec IPS Back protector would work for this?

mtbr member
    I wear an Ace SXP skate lid for xc mountain biking. Having gone over the bars more than a few times, I like that it has more protection for the back of the head than the average bike helmet. I don't need aerodynamics and I haven't found it to be hotter than other helmets even though mine is flat black. The weight savings of roadie style helmets don't offset the perceived sturdiness of a skate type lid for me.

I had to cut foam out of it in the front to make it fit my head and add some padding to the sides to get a good fit. Maybe you could build more adjustability into them.

shh. don't tell the wife
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PRO-TEC Intern

PRO-TEC is a brand I heard about in the general discussion section of MTBR.com. The key difference is that I've heard of other brands.

Once, a girl quit dating me because my place smelled like rotten gear (hockey pads)

The only customizations are dents and scratches from use.

I hope mandatory safety testing will become the trend in a few years.

Weight reduction and increased cooling, sort of like what POC does.
    All you need is love... but Scotch'll do in a pinch.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    you need bigger sized helmets, I was forced to go with a Giro Atlas II, because it was one of the few things to fit my head... I think, generalizing, but MTBers are generally a temporally wider demographic than skaters & bmx, in that they span longer lifetimes... ie: You dont see many 35yr old skaters, but you see 50yr+ old MTB & roadies. That said, consider that peoples heads generally grow and extend into adult sizes, that might not look like the kid sizes most of the skaters use.

Please consider bigger and better shaped helmets.

Also.. consider impact test ratings on your products.. they are good to know and give something to compare with.

A good bit of MTBers will ask for lighter equipment, but far fewer than roadies, so play that concern how you wish, but would probably be better to have a separate product line dedicated to Weight Weenies.

Consider better helmet ventilation, consider advertising a helmet with inner scuff pads being anti-microbial like the chamois in bike pants (its necessary if you sweat a lot from your head.) .. consider helmets with movable & removable visors... also consider Tinted visors, like sunglasses.. that give you some light but dont overwhelm or completely block.

oh and one last thing.. maybe try a helmet line that has some kind of adapter, probably a handle-bar-like protrusion, specifically made for mounting things on your helmet, like lights & cameras.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Describe P-T in 5 words.Built to fall apart.My doubledown elbow pads are great to carry in my camelbak but after 3 rides the neoprene is tearing just from wearing them.I haven't hit the ground with them yet.Sorry for being negative in public but don't sell junk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have an Ace helmet that I use for kayak surfing, but I would never consider wearing something like that on my bike. Not enough vents, too heavy.... and service related bad memories.

Track Day Addict
    yikes pro-tec's not getting the love in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'll give some love. I use a Cyphon for all-mountain riding and I think it's great. Seems like it offers way more protection than your typical xc lid, especially on the back and around the ears. I like the round skate-style design better than the typical xc design. It's vented quite well. I also use the "street" skate wrist guards (with palm-side insert removed) and they have saved my wrists many times.

Old man on a bike
    Never heard of Pro-Tec until this thread. Cyphon looks aren't too bad, but I'd like to see more ventilation, I've got a sweaty head. The comments about fit concern me, as I've got a big noggin. Don't care for graphics on my helmets, though; I don't even like brand names on them, peel 'em off if I can. Don't use any protection gear other than a helmet and gloves (and clothes), don't like wearing armor nor do I need it.

I've not seen the product in the few bike shops I use, so unlikely I'll be able to try one of the helmets on anyways...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Disgruntled Peccary
    I've been using pro-tec helmets (for hockey, bmx and skating) since my first one for hockey in about 1983 or so.. the quality's always been there.. While I was always aware of the skate, water sport and snow helmets I had not seen the cyphon though.. it looks fairly interesting and i'd love to see one in person. I don't think any of the local stores carry them though other than skate shops.. and I'd prefer not to have to order one to check it out fitwise. I do like that it looks to have a bit more rear coverage, like the Xen does. Oh, and aside from a removable visor, being able to adjust it would rock.
    mike

mtbr member
    im using an Airwalk that looks a lot like the Classic Pro-Tec. i really like it but maybe thats because i hate these...

imo, i you fall face first, that thing will slide up or down when you smack the ground, since its shaped like a football, hurting your neck like a mofo

dumb design, imo

maybe more customizable padding inside the Pro-Tec so theyll fit more heads comfortably. maybe more vents...

Just Joshin' ya!

When I think of Pro Tec, I think of snowboarding and skating (I do own a Pro Tec snow helmet). I do a lot of downhilling, so I think of Fox, Troy Lee, Dainese, RaceFace, and 661 when I think of downhilling. I ride with a 661 pressure suit and RaceFace knee/shingaurds. I use a Bell Bellistic helmet. I am going to get a new helmet one of these days and it will be DOT approved, so Pro Tec is out.

2. Tell me about your worst experience with protective gear, and what you absolutely hate about your gear? I hate when my knee and shin guards fall down. I have a pretty good set too, and when I pedal, they move sometimes. Not all the time, but sometimes. Other than that, it is hot in the summer and can be uncomfortable.

3. Do you like to customize your protective gear? Why and how do you do this? Hmm, I might put stickers on my helmets, but other than that, I don't do anything to my gear.

4. Do you see trends in protective gear in terms of what will be hip in a few years? If I did, I wouldn't be doing my current job.....except that I am seeing more and more downhillers use neck protection like the Leatt brace.

5. What would be your favorite product improvement in protection gear?[/quote]

It protects you, obviously, which means it stay in place and fits comfortably, it should be lightweight, cool and sleek so you don't look like a freaking storm trooper. Oh, and sell it at a pricepoint that is affordable.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    As far as I know I haven't run into PRO-TEC before.

I have owned Core Rat elbow/forearm, 661 knee/shin pads. I now have RaceFace hard shell pads for both arms and legs. A couple of the guys I know have Roach or TLD pads some of the kids are using Fox.

The helmets I've owned since I got into MTB have included a recent Specialized Deviant full face and Specialized bike helms with vents and visor. The guys I ride with usually have TLD, 661 full faces and whatever standard helmets including one skate helm. Good vents and protection are key.

I don't like it when the gear moves around or slipps so that it isn't where it needs to be. Chaffing is another annoyance.

I don't do much customization on the gear, particularly the helmets. I might add paint or stickers to the hardshell pads but with the helmet I particularly want to see any cracking or other issues and adding paint or stickers isn't going to help that. I might consider additional velcro, elastic or straps but that sort of thing really should be right to start with.

Something to hold the camelback tube in place on the full face might be an option but I wouldn't want to do that all the time.

I don't give a rat's rear end what's going to be hip. I just hope hip doesn't end up comprimising safety or look as awful as Nike shoes designed by colorblind basketball players without any sense.

Pricepoint, fit and function are the key features for me.
    I don't particularly want to look like a storm trooper but given my size I'm ok with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0