MTB Pants- Mtbr.com

Thread: MTB Pants

OnTheTrailAgain

... and if we just ... MTB Pants

I love my Endura Humvee Shorts.
    I wished that they made pants like they make shorts.
    Well, I just found out that they are now producing MTBing pants.

I couldn't see myself doing the following for my winter trail rides:
    (a) ride with only shorts on a trail
    (b) ride a trail with tights "under" my shorts
    (c) ride a trail with any kind of recreational or commuter pants

Found these and I can't wait to test them...

Humvee Pants: $75. Men's Hummvee Pants

Singletrack Pants: $125. Singletrack Pants

I'll probably go with the Singletrack Pants because they're water-repellent and these'll
    be for riding in the winter in the snow along with a baselayer underneath for warmth.
    I could use my Humvee short padded liner which clicks "in" to these. Nice.

Anybody used/using them by any chance?
    Any other companies making pants tough enough for the trail?

www.derbyrims.com
    I'm trying mtb pants for the first time this winter. These Zoic convertible trail pants are light weight, more comfortable and easier to put on and off than lycra tights, a little bit stretchy, cut wind well. They have a removable high quality liner, and lower legs zip off if the ride gets warm. They make good looking every day high tech pants too.

I got them from Huchnroll. REI has them.

Black Market Convertible Pant- New For Fall | ZOIC Clothing- Mountain Bike Clothing and Accessories for Men, Women and Kids

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Gore Bike Wear makes some nice warm ones.

Dirt Huffer
    Endura Singletrack pants are well made. I have 5 rides with them and so far so good.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Endura Singletrack pants are well made. I have 5 rides with them and so far so good.

Are they windproof? I looked at the description but no mention of it. TIA.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    AC/BC - What kind of temps are you sporting your Singletracks? I'm considering them, but want to know ow warm/windproof they are.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Thanks.

I'm sold on the Singletracks for sure. I'll give my own review in a few weeks.
    It looks like they are going to make winter riding much more tolerable.

Damn...now I'm going to need a compatible jacket.

Jackets anybody? I'm set on Gore for now.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen View Post
    Thanks.

Jackets anybody? I'm set on Gore for now,

Endura makes some nice ones as does Bontrager, Pearl Izumi, Cannondale and Aero Tech Designs to name but a few. I wound up with a Bontrager MTB soft shell:

Bontrager: MTB Softshell Jacket (Model #09213)

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Endura makes some nice ones as does Bontrager, Pearl Izumi, Cannondale and Aero Tech Designs to name but a few. I wound up with a Bontrager MTB soft shell:

Bontrager: MTB Softshell Jacket (Model #09213)
    I checked out Endura's site. The one I like so far is their Windchill Jacket, but it looks a little light.

That's the 2nd time I've heard a strong recommendation for Bontrager. They seemed to have upped their game. Their shoes are great. I came very close to buying a pair before I got my Sidi Ergo 2's. I was actually checking out Bontrager's stuff right before I posted this post. Thanks. I'll look into it more.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 01-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks.

Jackets anybody? I'm set on Gore for now.
    I've got the Gore Phantom and it's a great jacket.

On the singletracks, do you have a full baselayer underneath or just a pad liner?

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    I've got the Gore Phantom and it's a great jacket.

On the singletracks, do you have a full baselayer underneath or just a pad liner?
    I don't have the Singletracks, but you can put a "clip-in" liner (like the Humvees).
    I have the Humvees so I can use my liner from them in the Singletracks.
    Personally, I'd wear a base layer with the Singletrack.

meow, meow.
    I can tell some good things about Endura Singletrack. It's my 3rd winter riding with these.

When it's not below -10..-12C, I wear knee-long tights and TLD Lopes knee-shin guards (which I ride in all year round) under the pants. When it's colder I have to wear full-length tights with wind-blocking material above knees, otherwise the balls can get seriously frozen by headwind. So the pants are wind resistant but not wind proof.

I went with size L and they're too large for me in the waist (length is okay), however size L Hummvee 3/4 shorts fit me excellent.

The bottom velcro straps on my Singletrack pants have much smaller hooks than usual, and they sometimes undo themselves.
    26" rigid SS 4130 BB7 nylon-flats ESI latex-tubes non-lubricated-8spd

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have the Endura Windchill jacket and I consider it to be one of my best cycling clothing purchases ever. It is very adaptable over a wide range of temperatures although I would go with something lighter if it is much above 45 degrees F. The pit zippers are very long and allow you to adjust to changing conditions or work load. The softshell is very waterproof in light to moderate precipitation (never had it in anything worse) and the windproof fabric on the front sides works very well. Sizing is a bit odd by American standards but I went up one size and found a great fit for my 6' 4" frame that normally has trouble finding jackets with sleeves long enough.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike4two View Post
    I have the Endura Windchill jacket and I consider it to be one of my best cycling clothing purchases ever. It is very adaptable over a wide range of temperatures although I would go with something lighter if it is much above 45 degrees F. The pit zippers are very long and allow you to adjust to changing conditions or work load. The softshell is very waterproof in light to moderate precipitation (never had it in anything worse) and the windproof fabric on the front sides works very well. Sizing is a bit odd by American standards but I went up one size and found a great fit for my 6' 4" frame that normally has trouble finding jackets with sleeves long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    I can tell some good things about Endura Singletrack. It's my 3rd winter riding with these.

When it's not below -10..-12C, I wear knee-long tights and TLD Lopes knee-shin guards (which I ride in all year round) under the pants. When it's colder I have to wear full-length tights with wind-blocking material above knees, otherwise the balls can get seriously frozen by headwind. So the pants are wind resistant but not wind proof.

I went with size L and they're too large for me in the waist (length is okay), however size L Hummvee 3/4 shorts fit me excellent.

The bottom velcro straps on my Singletrack pants have much smaller hooks than usual, and they sometimes undo themselves.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm going to go with a windproof wicking full-length baselayer.

meow, meow.
    I'm going to go with a windproof wicking full-length baselayer.
    What make of windproof base layer are you looking at? I have had trouble finding such stuff. Helly Hansen used to make one model of windproof pants, and that's what I'm using.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    What make of windproof base layer are you looking at? I have had trouble finding such stuff. Helly Hansen used to make one model of windproof pants, and that's what I'm using.
    Craft Zero & Gore Windstopper...
    (expensive, but I think well worth it):
    Gore Windstopper Tights

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have the Singletrack Shorts and 3/4 Pants and love them both and was planning on ordering the pants once it got colder out... but changed my mind for a couple reasons (although I am sure they are great pants).

Endura does not have a dealer in Canada so I would have to mail order it from somewhere which is not a problem, problem comes with the inconsistent sizing.

My shorts and 3/4 pants are both large, which one would assume would have the same waist, but they are easily off 1.5" So one is cinched as tight as can be and the other opened up pretty much all the way. As I said I love them both, wear them lots but they are not the same.

Odering the pants I was going to order a large hoping for a tiny bit of bagginess (like the 3/4 fit) for a layer underneath and then emailed them to check the inseam length and it was shorter than I wanted considering it was a large (I think the average height of the British is a bit less than this side of the pond!). I could have then ordered the XL, but considering the possible waist disparity didn't want to risk it.

I really like the vents on the front of the thighs, awesome feature, windresistant enough for fall weather and light rain, a great pant.

I'd try to try them on first before buying or maybe one of the guys above that actually have them will give more specifics on sizing, at 2" less on the inseam length (from what I was expecting) and once that creaps even more with pedalling that is a lot of ankle showing. (I think it was a 32" inseam).

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Endura does not have a dealer in Canada so I would have to mail order it from somewhere which is not a problem, problem comes with the inconsistent sizing.

My shorts and 3/4 pants are both large, which one would assume would have the same waist, but they are easily off 1.5" So one is cinched as tight as can be and the other opened up pretty much all the way. As I said I love them both, wear them lots but they are not the same.
    To further complicate the sizing issue, I've got MT500 Burner 3/4 pants that I prefer over Hummvee. (Hummvee is less hot, more comfortable, has more useful pockets, but Burner is much tougher, so I reserve Hummvee for long XC days in the summer.)

Anyway, size L Hummvee 3/4 fits me great, but with size L Singletrack too big in the waist, I thought that Endura changed their sizing, and so bought Burner in size M. Guess what, they are just as too big in the waist for me as L sized Singletrack!

miwuksurfer
    I just got a pair of Swrve softshell knickers. Yeah, yeah, I know. Knickers...
    But, they are really comfortable and way warmer than I thought for being 3/4 length. Plus they are made in the US.

SWRVE

AZ
    banned
    FWIW, I have found that Hincape apparel is very close to size for American sized riders. The Endura that I do have is all over the map on sizing, be sure to try before you buy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Novara has some nice items too.....