Mountain lions on San Diego trails? (x-post from San Diego Board)- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

Mountain lions on San Diego trails? (x-post from San Diego Board)

Thinking of renting and riding on a buisness trip to SD next week. Are lions a prob? Don't laugh at me as I really don't know. We have bears around here (in snowy New Hampshire) but they usually know you are coming and keep their distance. Thanks.

Jan 2004

Yeah, but meteors are probably a bigger threat

Well, no. I don't mean to belittle your question, because there have been a few attacks lately, and there are more lions around, and more humans coming into contact with them, than there used to be. Three were killed (a mother and two nearly-grown cubs) a half-mile from my house near Reno a couple of years ago. Some of the neighbors were feeding deer on their patio, and the lions will follow the deer every time.
    As a practical matter, though, it's just not much of a worry. I've hiked and ridden in the foothills around Los Angeles and the Sierra near Reno for nearly 30 years. I've seen dozens of coyotes (no danger at all), three bobcats (too small), four or five bears, but no lions, nor any sign of them. I know they're there, because the Dept. of Wildlife monitors them and they say so, but they're ordinarily very reclusive. Local rangers and wildlife managers can give you advice for avoiding them and staying safe in lion country, but I wouldn't hesitate to go.

mtbr member

Good job! NO problems, YET

Quote Originally Posted by Jaak
    Thinking of renting and riding on a buisness trip to SD next week. Are lions a prob? Don't laugh at me as I really don't know. We have bears around here (in snowy New Hampshire) but they usually know you are coming and keep their distance. Thanks.
    Some lady saw a lion in a neighborhood. I don't blieve it!! The new made a big deal of it.
    Many places are still closed due to the fires in October. A good 70%is Effed.
    Locally, truelly in town is along highway 52 and surrounding canyons.
    Noble canyon is epic according to the magazines and some locals. Eh, nice looking, great scenery. If one has ridden it for the last 10-15 years it has gotten crappy.
    If you do it, ride early (UP THE SINGLE TRACK and not the road). There may be snow at the gate and the BURN starts there, you'll have to turn around there.
    Big Laguna is above and southish of the burn and great single track!
    Thats about an hour east of San Diego.
    I've ridden SD some much I'll drive three hours away just to ride for 3-4 hours. Find the nearest burger and then drive back.
    From downton SD, highway 52 is 10 miles.
    Southbay, sweetwater is about 15 miles south.
    Carlsbad (Flightline is about 20 miles noirth)
    Daley Ranch is aobut 30-40 minutes north. lots of fireroad.
    Lagunas, one hour east.
    Anderson Truck Trail, TOO short, 30 minutes east
    Sycamore Canyon, flatish, 25 minutes eastish.
    Cuyamaca Mountains, CLOSED!!
    Perfect Cycling Trail, ask when when you get here! Not before.
    Check socalmtbr.com from the hotel. Not sure how, [email protected]