Mountain Biking vs. Road Biking......LETS DISCUSS.............- Mtbr.com

Apr 2007

Mountain Biking vs. Road Biking......LETS DISCUSS.............

I've bee mountain biking for a few months now and love every minute of it but I have a friend that love to road bike. Because of this, I'm thinking of getting one to mix up the pace if nothing else. I'm sure hundreds of the users on this site ride both.

Please share your thoughts about what it is you enjoy about mountain biking..........road biking.

In other words......which of the two is better served to buy a more expensive bike. Which offers the better work out?

I understand these questions are relative and strictly opinion but I was just curious about others experiences/feelings about the road bike experience as opposed to mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    what exactly are you looking to gain from reading others opinions on this matter? Isint there 10's of other threads on this exact same topic?
    ciao.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I haven't done much road bike riding. I am in search of a cheap road bike myself. From personal experience a good quality mountain bike will serve you alot better. Things like a poor shifting bike or chain that falls off alot make for a long day in the trails. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evan811
    what exactly are you looking to gain from reading others opinions on this matter? Isint there 10's of other threads on this exact same topic?
    ciao.
    Its called trolling.

May 2004
    In general, from what I ride...

I find mountain biking to be more thrilling. I find road biking to be peaceful, and satisfying.

Sometimes I just don't want to go jumping... sometimes it's nice to just roll out the miles on an open road.

Can't comment on the expensive bike thing though. I'm a newbie roadie. If you're interested, find a local shop that will take you out for a ride. Some shops are really good to you if you're up-front with them. I bet you'll love it.

Built4Speed
    I used to ride road bikes and enjoyed it but to be honest,I enjoy off-roading even more.
    You can find plenty of good roadbikes for a good price.You don't need to spend a ton of cash. I'm not sure what the current entry level road-bikes have when it comes to components but Shimano 105 is a good start.
    A road-bike is a good way to build up speed by doing sprint intervals on level ground or climbs. I think riding both types of bikes benefits you in many ways like control,speed and climbing. If you get burned out riding your mountain bike,a road-bike is a good way to break-up the funk. Hope this helps.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by scubastud
    I've bee mountain biking for a few months now and love every minute of it but I have a friend that love to road bike. Because of this, I'm thinking of getting one to mix up the pace if nothing else. I'm sure hundreds of the users on this site ride both.

Please share your thoughts about what it is you enjoy about mountain biking..........road biking.

In other words......which of the two is better served to buy a more expensive bike. Which offers the better work out?

I understand these questions are relative and strictly opinion but I was just curious about others experiences/feelings about the road bike experience as opposed to mountain biking.
    It's been some time since I have ridden on the road, but I always enjoyed the speed and how easy/convenient it was to get miles in. I disliked riding around these idiot, biker unfriendly drivers of central NC though.

Mountain biking is more of a challenge, more fun, more rewarding, and I don't have to worry about cars hitting me.
    Last edited by mopartodd; 05-28-2007 at 03:05 PM.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced SL...Coming Soon

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by evan811
    ciao.
    Damn dude, why not try to be a little nicer. But then again if my hockey team just CHOKED AGAIN I'd probably be pissed too. I wouldn't be taking out on others though.

PEACE.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced SL...Coming Soon

Still a child inside...

why vs???

r
    Mountain Biking vs. Road Biking
    There are ppl who like like this, and those who like that, and those
    who like both. So why this stupid thread? You can understand on your
    own, that road is about SPEED and mtb about gnar. Go and try them out!

local trails rider
    IMO
    Mountain biking is great fun and a good workout. Usually you are in nice surroundings too.

On the road, you have a better chance of doing those long and steady endurance developing rides. The trails kind of force a pace on you, if you think of it that way. I think I could enjoy road riding too if I found routes where I do not have to keep dodging pedestrians, slow and unsteady bike riders, and/or cars.

I have no argument against people doing either or both.
    Last edited by perttime; 05-28-2007 at 04:40 AM.

bi-winning
    I have been doing MTB for years, and I am a newb roadie. Here are some of my thoughts.

MTB is simply more fun for me. Rocks, roots, twisty singletrack, sketchy climbs, and wildlife. You just have so much to enjoy.

Road. It is easy to get out there, and you can ride straight from your garage, rather than driving to a trail, if you don't have one withing a few km. For many people having a road bike means riding more. You can get a good workout, because it is easier to get the workout you are looking for; i.e. steady, or regularly spaced intervals.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Nat
    mtbr member
    mtb = adrenaline

road = endorphins

(singlespeeds = both)

Me hates pinchflat
    Id rather endo on a rockgarden that getting hit by a car
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

meh... whatever

we can see whos NOT a roadie...

Quote Originally Posted by danyiluska
    road is about SPEED and mtb about gnar.
    i must politely disagree.

when youre riding a century (or even a 3/4 or 1/2 century) its NOT about speed. even if youre doing it for training/conditioning rather than the simple enjoyment of the ride youll do intervals, not sprint the entire time.

whoever told you that road riding means going as fast as you can for the whole ride lied to you.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

...idios...
    Well, mountain bikes are best suited to mountains and road bikes are best suited to roads. What shall we do next, submarines vs. airplanes?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    I'm new to road-riding. I bought a bike because the boyfriend is a long-time roadie and I wanted to ride with him more. I thought that after riding mtn bikes for years pedaling on the road would be a nice break.

My discovery is that road is all about pace and endurance. If you want to build up your stamina, that is the way to do it. Roadies don't stop for water breaks at the top of the hills, don't stop to discuss the best way to tackle a climb or a drop, don't stop for anything! They are all about the miles and the time. And the boyfriend likes to ride on hills... for instance the hill between Morrison and Evergreen, or Lookout Mountain in Golden. I go back to the mountain bike to recover from the road rides now

They are two totally different animals. Still, if I was given a couple grand and told "buy any bike you want" I'd look at mountain bikes first. I think the difference in technology and handling between low and high end is significant. With road bikes, higher cost just means a lighter bike, for the most part.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    on the road more $$$ also means better shifting and braking, at least to a point.

anyway, i probably ride road more(especially if you count a 12 mile each way commute on a cx bike as road) but anyway, they're both fun. i love tackling the largest climbs in the area on a road bike, then bombing the following downhill at crazy speeds. i like doing the same on a mtb. the road is faster but the mtb is more peaceful. road is easier to get out of the house and be riding, the mtb is more fun with a group. i'm not much of a racer and most my road miles are commuting or really long rides just out riding around by myself gettign introspective. most my mtb rides are with others and all about having fun.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    What shall we do next, submarines vs. airplanes?
    Yes please!

ejh
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    two wheels good!!!, four wheels bad!!!

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by markf
    my road miles are... really long rides just out riding around by myself getting introspective.
    werd 'dat!

try it fixed sometime... it really kicks the zen up a notch.... BAM!!!!
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think you get more of a performance difference by putting the most $$$ into the MTB.

A cheaper road bike still gets the job done.

For MTB more $$$ gets you better suspension, brakes, shifting.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    I think you get more of a performance difference by putting the most $$$ into the MTB.

A cheaper road bike still gets the job done.

For MTB more $$$ gets you better suspension, brakes, shifting.
    My road/commuter bike is worth about one quarter of what my FS MTB is worth. For what i do on the roads right now, i don't need anything too $$$.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

moaaar shimz
    Roadies=Ghey

Let the flaming begin brothers

Photog Cyclist.
    Road biking is biking
    Mountain biking is biking
    Biking is fun
    There for Road biking is fun & Mountain biking is fun.
    That 's why I do both, I am all about fun---end of discussion!!
    We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    (Tim Mcgraw)

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    get a CX bike.....all the pain of road riding..none of the fun of mtb'ing...kidding, Cyclocross is totally awesome....you should give it a shot....
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    I like road biking because I can go farther and maintain a steadier pace and it helps keep me in good shape for mountain, its helped my endurance a lot. So Im using road cycling to keep myself in top shape for hitting the trails.

May 2007
    Road biking allows me to ride more often (6-7 days a week) without killing my legs. I throw in some road rides in between my mtb rides and find that my legs are still fresh and cramp free. Road biking is good for mtb recovery and prep as long as you are not hammering it through the entire ride.

mtbr member
    I can MTB by myself and really enjoy the ride, something I can't do on a road ride. Not sure why I don't enjoy the road by myself, I just don't. So if I am going out by myself, I usually grab the MTB and tend to road ride more with scheduled group rides. Both are fun though and they are completely different kinds of workouts.

mbtr member
    As someone who pushes everything, i like the mtb a lot more. On the road bike, i'm just too wreckless. I've caught myself hitting 60mph a couple times going down narrow mountain roads. I've blown turns and carved out of turns in the dirt. Long climbs ill see how far i can sprint again and again and totally wear myself out.

I'm not really having fun, but it really does wonder for my fitness.

The trail forces me to go a pace on the mtb, and when i do wreck (which is frequent, im covered in little scratches) it's not likely to be as ugly. There's just so much more to take in when you're on a trail.

Road bikes haven't changed too much in the last 20 years (3 lb diet and shifterbrakes, woo), where mtb tech is rapidly evolving. I know where i'd throw my benjamins.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I don't drive a car so rely on my bikes for transportation as well as recreation.

My road bikes are my first choice for the commute and all but one are ss or fixed...I like to be able to cruise at high speed over distance (I put in 50 miles today) and a road bike is the way to go.
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Three sheets to the wind
    I started as a roadie, added XC, fell in love with DH, and now I ride the road for cardio, DH for thrills and pain, and XC/trail for fun...it's all good.

May 2007
    i was a former roadie too, now mtb all the way. U can't beat mountain riding out in the forests no way...

Apr 2007
    I would like to do both, although MTB is so different to road it's not really comparable. On the road is really no different from driving a car or motorcycle, your not getting to see anything you would not otherwise see, MTB is more akin to fell walking.

The reason I dont ride on the road anymore is because of traffic..........thats it, nothing any more complex than that........I can remember being able to ride up the entire length of Hartside without getting passed by another vehicle and that was in the middle of summer, or being able to ride two abrest along any Lake District road and still feel safe.....not now!

Probably drunk right now

You know you're a noob....

The easiest way to spot an inexperienced cylcist (especially a mountain biker) is when they start mountain vs. road bike threads.

Those of us who have been riding mountain bikes for any length of time generally see the light and understand the benefits of riding road bike. In other words, we're old enough that we realize that we'll never obtain/maintain any sort of base fitness on a mountain bike. So to ride a mountain bike for any length of time, we take to the road.

It's funny though that people who identify themselves as road cyclists are much less hung up on mountain vs. road.

To quote Chet Peach, "Shut up and ride your damn bike".

In the event that you're not trolling:

Why road bike: Base cycling fitness without getting beat up.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    The easiest way to spot an inexperienced cylcist (especially a mountain biker) is when they start mountain vs. road bike threads.

Those of us who have been riding mountain bikes for any length of time generally see the light and understand the benefits of riding road bike. In other words, we're old enough that we realize that we'll never obtain/maintain any sort of base fitness on a mountain bike. So to ride a mountain bike for any length of time, we take to the road.

It's funny though that people who identify themselves as road cyclists are much less hung up on mountain vs. road.

To quote Chet Peach, "Shut up and ride your damn bike".

In the event that you're not trolling:

Why road bike: Base cycling fitness without getting beat up.
    some people can be very fast without riding a road bike. perhaps they could be faster if they added road training, but just because you don't road ride, it does not mean that you are slow by default.

May 2007
    There's something very classical (In the "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" sense of classical) about the whirr click click sproing in a well-maintained road bike cruising along at 20+ mph that you just cannot appreciate barrelling down singletrack with pine limbs smacking your face.

I, for one, am a cyclist whose greatest attraction to the sport is the machine-based but human-oriented nature of it. People drive the sport, but machines keep it rolling, if you get my drift. I love working on and appreciating every aspect of these crazy rolling thingies - be they knobby or smooth.

May 2006
    its true on a mountain bike you just cant achieve the same speed on flat surface, but flying down a mountain is another story.

with a mountain bike you only need to change the tires to enjoy both road and off road.

with a mountain bike you can jump, trail, DH, road, street.

with a road bike you can ... road, and not even bumpy road because many just fall apart.

i would overwhelmingly pick mountain bike not even just for versitility but also because they look cooler

Apr 2007
    THanks for the all replies whether they were truly intended to respond to the original thought/question.

As to the others who feel I'm trolling (go figure), relax!

There's been countless threads started within any forum environment that could be deemed questionable in regards to the question posed, debate started, etc.

If a certain thread bothers you that much, don't enter and certainly don't post..........

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    Id rather endo on a rockgarden that getting hit by a car
    trees don't move.

safety is really my only concern about getting into road riding. i'd hate to get clipped by a car. you can roll out of just about any MTB crash and be ok. cars will eff you.

Nov 2006
    I'm with the crowd that figures just get out there and ride whatever you ride however you like to ride it. I also like the aspect johnny290 mentioned... cruising along the road or easy trail, hearing your bike whirring smoothly.. knowing you are the reason it is well-maintained and quiet. It's probably the same thrill some guys get from working on muscle cars and hearing the engine "purring."

Personally, I do road and trails.... on the same bike. I enjoy what would be considered easy trails to most. I don't care for the rocks, the roots, and the twisty singletrack... but, there's a difference between the trails consisting largely of loose cobblestones where I am and rocky trails that consist more of rocky, but stationary, outcrops. But, when I find a trail that isn't quite so much of a technical challenge but more like taking a hike on two wheels, that's more my style. As I grow in skill, I do enjoy some technical challenges, like things to bunny hop and all, but I'm not enough of a daredevil to enjoy the "adrenaline junkie" type trails. Not that there's anything wrong with those.... just just a personal preference.

I do enjoy getting out and churning out the miles like you can riding roads... and I live out in the country where a road ride is almost as scenic as a trail ride in many areas. It is nice to be able to don your gear, climb on your bike, and just go.... rather than having to load up your stuff, drive for a while, unload, and then go.

That said, what I enjoy most is a mix of the two. Where I live, I have a circuit of about 20 miles that takes me to a long, winding county road that is little more than packed dirt and gravel. It follows a branch of a river for a good ways, and one fork takes me out to a lake. It's actually more scenic than a couple of the forest trails. About the only people I ever see are usually a couple of college kids or rednecks that were looking for a secluded spot to fish and smoke joints. The road reminds me of a lot of the biking I did in Alaska.... it's easy enough that you can slip into something like 2/4-2/6 and crank out the miles at a good cadence, but also rough enough that you can actually get a bit of your MTB quota in. And if I didn't use semi-slicks (Geax Evolutions) for the trek since they handle both the pavement and packed gravel/dirt well, I could actually go with something a bit knobbier and ride the singletrack trail that goes around the lake. I tried it the first time I found it, but the Geax tires were just a little too unsteady for it. I feel very fortunate to be able to leave my garage and get to roads that combine the best of both road and MTB in about fifteen minutes.

Overall, road is great for cadence, keeping up an elevated PRE (perceived rate of exertion), and getting a good ride for fitness. Mountain biking can be more intense with bigger climbs and requiring more power to combine both endurance and strength in sporadic bursts... but the sporadic nature of your energy expenditure with churning up hills and coasting down them can make for a less consistent workout. Conversely, mountain biking does offer the benefits of getting out in the "great outdoors" that road biking may not if you live in more urban areas.

As far as the money issue, I guess it just depends on what you want. I had looked into getting a cyclocross bike, but have ultimately decided to stick with road-adapting mountain bikes. For starters, I like having the option of being able to turn down any new road I see, regardless of its conditions, and not have to worry about it being too rough on the bike. Also, at 6', 222 (but steadily decreasing), I figure I put a good pounding on a bike, and a MTB just sustains me better. I also like the fact that I can go off of the road onto the shoulder... or whatever is there as long as it's not a ditch... to create a wide berth between myself and cars that don't want to share the road. There's about two miles from my house to another road that is on a county road where truckers HATE to share with cyclists. I can shave that down to about a mile and a half by using a dirt "road" created by trucks behind a gas station. That and I like being able to hop speed bumps, potholes, and sidewalks as needed.

So, in all, I figure mountain bikes serve me well for both road and trail. If I was wanting better performance on the road.... yes, I'd get a road bike. But, I don't really worry about performance, speed, etc. beyond simply trying to become fitter and improve my time in my riding. I don't really worry about road versus trail or anything like that. I have my bike.. I adapt it for the conditions I plan to ride.. and just go out and have fun.

Besides.. the money I would have saved for a CX bike just went to a kayak today. I can ride my Raleigh anywhere............ except over water.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    trees don't move.
    I could swear some do

7hz
    Old newbie
    You can ride road on a MTB.
    You can't ride mountains on a road bike.

MTB's are more all round bikes IMHO, an XC bike will ride most places fine.
    Road bikes are more specialised in terms of they can only go on smooth roads.
    Any and all bikes are fun as long as they can ride on the surface you are on. I chose to have one good bike, and my money went on an XC MTB.

Dirt Abuser
    I don't like riding on the road mainly for 2 reasons:

1) Car exhaust... When/If your biking where there are a lot of cars, your inhaling their exhaust. If you smell it, your inhaling it. The less the better for me........ I get enough already.

2) Being hit by a car... Which happens quite a bit

Do It Yourself
    You can get a much better road bike for less money than you can with mtb. I would say the threshold for diminishing returns on a road bike is around $1500 (seriously 105 is good enough) and closer to $2500 for a good full suspension bike. So I would drop the extra cash on the MTB. Overall MTB is more expensive because parts wear quicker and technology is changing much more quickly. You could easily ride a road bike for 10+ years and not be missing out much.

They are both good workouts but it depends on your roads and trails. Road is more convenient for me (ride from the house or work). Around here, most of the good trails are on the other side of town so it takes an hour to drive. I live on the edge of town and can be out in the country roads immediately and I work out in the sticks. It would be a lot different experience if you live in the city though. Also, I can route out hundreds of miles of quiet roads where as there are limited amounts of trail. There aren't any trail systems around here that I can get 5 to 6 hours of pure singletrack without doing laps.

Anyway, there is more than one way to have fun on two wheels so just get out there and ride whatcha got.
    Long Live Long Rides

Photog Cyclist.
    Taste great----

Less filling----

Ah shut up n drink----

Err shut up n ride what ever bike you want to---

Just ride
    We ride and never worry about the fall
    I guess that's just the cowboy in us all
    (Tim Mcgraw)

Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 23mjm
    Just ride
    The dude abides.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Well, mountain bikes are best suited to mountains and road bikes are best suited to roads. What shall we do next, submarines vs. airplanes?
    Airplanes!
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Buy 2 very expensive bikes and let us know what you think! You cannot go wrong if you drop 4 large apiece on a mtn bike as well as on a road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

The Voice of Reason

Quote Originally Posted by 7hz
    You can ride road on a MTB.
    You can't ride mountains on a road bike.

MTB's are more all round bikes IMHO, an XC bike will ride most places fine.
    Road bikes are more specialised in terms of they can only go on smooth roads.
    Any and all bikes are fun as long as they can ride on the surface you are on. I chose to have one good bike, and my money went on an XC MTB.
    Finally someone succinctly wrote what I have been thinking.

In 1980 I had a MooseGoose. It was a 20" wheel bike with an adult size frame. It looked really strange. I had the bike shop put a 3 speed internal gear hub on it, and it was a blast to ride. I moved to Honolulu and it was my primary transportation. The following year it was stolen. Since I was so into biking by that time, I figured the adult thing to do was buy a road bike. I bought a mid-line 14 speed drop bar Motobecane. I rode it for 3 months trying to convince myself to like it. I HATED IT! One day I was riding to work and inadvertantly ran into a parked car at no more than 10mph. The collision did enough damage to the frame so that it was unsalvageable. I had the LBS take the rear hub and cassette and rear derailleur and brakes and transfer them to a Mongoose Two Four, a 24" wheel BMX/mountainbike. I had them put a flat bar, instead of the silly riser bar it came with, and off I went. I put 1000s of miles on that bike. It took all the abuse I could lay on it. I couldn't even tell you what the components were. I just rode. Best bike I ever had! In '86 I moved to the Big Island and couldn't commute with the bike anymore. The bike is rusting under my best friends house in Waimea. I finally got enough scratch together, since moving back to the mainland, to pick up a '06 Cannondale Prophet, to which I've replaced the knobbies with 1.5" Panaracer Pasela Tourgards. Biking is fun again!

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    I agree that we should just all ride but keep an open mind as there are some things about both types of riding that are unique.

If you have ever done a night ride on a roadie when the weather is perfect and you have the roads / paths all to yourself you can hit that place where the riding becomes nearly effortless and all you can hear is the hum of your tires and the rush of wind past your ears as you eat up the miles..
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    ride but keep an open mind as there are some things about both types of riding that are unique.
    And they are not the only types of bikes either:

Warning: lots of people consider this a blasphemy:
    http://www.cobrabikes.net/en-GB/Layout001.aspx?PID=39

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mountain biking favors the aerobic (endurance) athletes and individual athletes. Mostly climbing or long single tracks with no drafting and no team work.

Roading biking allows the different type of athletes to show case their skills including team work.

I'm a more of a anerobic athlete. I get dropped all the time on both road and mountain climbs. I also get dropped on long XC rides.

On the road I can draft so I don't get dropped that easily. I may get dropped on the road climbs but usually can bridge with it gets flats with the help of a teammate.

In road field sprints I can out kick the aerobic athletes because I can go anerobic and stay aerobic longer. I'll also have a stronger kick if I have a teammate leading out for me.

There is no equivalent of a field sprint in mtbing so it not a usefull skill to have.

Oh yeah, I prefer mtbing over road riding. Too many crazy drivers nowadays.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    And they are not the only types of bikes either:

I would love to own or build a recumbent as they are freakishly efficient and fast machines... and lets not forget unicycles either.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
    I would love to own or build a recumbent as they are freakishly efficient and fast machines...
    Not the greatest thing for getting up steep hills, though. That seems to be the consensus, and a guy I recently met climbing one on a dirt road agreed.

I do not think you can bunny hop on a 'bent either.

Jan 2006
    I have a road bike I use for organized fund raiser rides that usually range from 50 to 100 miles. I also use my road bike for commuting and going around town. Cars/pedestrians can be a huge pain, but they are in cars too. Just try to be careful and make smart decisions and stay on your toes anticipating your surroundings etc.

That said I absolutly 100 percent prefer mountain biking on a rigid 29'er singlespeed fixie. Love Love love it!

squish is good
    This winter I was going stir crazy because all my trails were snowed in but the roads stay relatively clear so, I headed down to the bike shop and picked up a relatively cheap road bike. After riding it five days a week for about three months before the trails cleared I thought I'd be in pretty decent shape for the mountains, boy was I wrong! I've found that riding my mountain bike is alot more fun and physically I challenge myself alot more on both the climb and the descent than I do on a road bike. Maybe it's because I started out mountain biking but I just find it to be alot more enjoyable, more challenge I guess. I like going for road rides in between but no way is it a substitute for my days in the mountains. On the bright side I use my road bike to commute around town alot more now, the only time I fill my tank in my truck is when I'm heading out to a trailhead and I'm using less than half the gas I used to on a monthly basis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Utility Vehicle

I've always had a bike as a backup for the car. Each time I got ripped off, I upgraded. I finally rode a bike w/front suspension. It took the strain off my shoulders and back. That made up my mind.
    My MTB is a hybrid for roads. The less pounding I take, the more I can ride. It's that simple. It seems to me that pedaling is pedaling. How hard we hit the pedals seems to be the variable. JMHO

Ricisan

mtbr member
    Road bikes are so sexy!!!

mtbr member
    Each discipline possess' their own merits. As some of you state, "just ride!"

I think road riding hones ones technique in regards to aerobic training, spinning, pedalling, endurance and leg speed, etc. Mountainbiking hones the other muscle groups in the upper body. More body English is required to maneuver in and around obstacles on the mountain and trails.

In some ways they are both relaxing and peaceful, but also have their aspects of intensity as well.

Try doing interval training or keeping up with better climbers on a road ride. Intense! On the other hand, a nice morning ride on some singletrack around a lake can bring you immense serenity.

To quote Freddy Mercury;
    "Get on your bikes and ride!"
    G.

May 2006
    It depends on where you live. The problem I have with road riding is sharing the road with cars. I live at Lake Tahoe where mountain bike riding is very good but road riding sucks because the roads are so crowded with cars. I used to live where there were many lightly traveled paved roads and road riding was good.
    I still bike commute on a road bike. Early mornings I ride on the highway because the traffic is light. When coming home from work I take the stupid bike path that takes forever because it winds and stops at every minor road crossing.
    If you ride on pavement then a road bike is much faster. Riding in a peloton is a very exhilarating experience. I highly recommend it.

mtbr member
    Fortunately out here where I live we have about 70 miles of paved trails. I typically do 30 mile rides without ever having to ride on a street. And then we have street routes on roads that have very little traffic. Out in the country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Road biking to me is just too boring. With mtbiking there's obstacles to go up and around and work through; rock gardens, logs, stream crossings. I absolutely love the technical stuff. Plus the scenery can be so much better. On the road it's just paved and you go on these long rides looking at the behind of the guy who's only a couple feet in front of you for hours on end. Plus there's no way I trust all those terrible drivers out there. I ride my mtb bike on the road sometimes but it's not something I would want to do regularly.

mtbr member

knee pain

For me its about knee pain. I can't figure out why (and neither can my PT), but my tendinitis really flares up when I ride on the road. But, riding off-road strengthens my knee. I think its because when you're pedalling off-road, you're really pushing it and when you're on the (flat)road you're spinning at a higher cadence, which must result in different mechanics.

Road riding is great for your endurance, great for introspection, and very convenient (can ride from anywhere). If it weren't for my knee pain I would do longer road rides more often.

Mtn biking is just plain fun. I love the uphill grunts and the screaming descents. Mtn biking is why I am in shape. There is this circular reasoning thing that I bike because its fun. The more in shape I am the more I can bike, and the more fun I will have. Its a great positive feedback system.
    "Serves you right to suffer." -The Wife (after being 2 hours late)

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    try it fixed sometime...
    DON'T LISTEN TO HIM - YOU'LL PUT YER EYE OUT!

mtbr member
    Another benefit to MTB over road is that you use your upper body more. A day out on the trails hopping over logs, slow balancing on switchbacks, hitting the occasional drop or jump and I'm definitely feeling the burn in my arms and shoulders much more so than when I go on road rides.
    Tarekith.com

'17 Specialized Enduro Elite 29

Members who have read this thread: 0