Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    ..Enjoying what they are bred to do, run in the outdoors. It’s the best therapy for a dog and they live a longer healthier, happier life because of it.
    Or.. maybe not?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Pretty cool huh? Turning a dog hater fest into something positive. Who’s dog threatened you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try reading the thread.
    FYI don't hate dogs just their shitty owners.
    OG Ripley v2

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Try reading the thread.
    FYI don't hate dogs just their shitty owners.
    I’ve read the entire thread. Where did someone’s dog threaten you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Last weekend I took my 6 year old kid for probably her 10th ride and she still needs my assistance constantly.

On a wide dirt path at a public park on a day with some wet spots, my own rear tire became clogged with mud. To try and hurry and stay near my kid I quickly used my hand to remove the clumped mud that was clogging my rear tire and wiped my muddy hand on my leg to not get my grip dirty, at which point I realized I had just wiped dog shit all over my leg and it was on my hand too. And of course my bike, which is pretty much a weekly occurrence in Austin, TX. Then at that exact moment my kid needed my help to get back on path and going again. I had to use our only water bottle to try and get the dog crap off my hand. Then manage my kid, and my bike, with only 1 clean hand. Eventually I got us to a bathroom (no soap) to try and clean up. And then our father-daughter time was cut short because I used our only water trying to get the dog crap off me.
    Cigarette smokers and dog owners are definitely the least considerate people I encounter. Constantly leaving their filthy trash for others to deal with.
    Keep your damn dog on a leash, pick up it's crap, control that animal, and if you live in the city do not let that canine bark incessantly and interrupt other's peace.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    Last weekend I took my 6 year old kid for probably her 10th ride and she still needs my assistance constantly.

On a wide dirt path at a public park on a day with some wet spots, my own rear tire became clogged with mud. To try and hurry and stay near my kid I quickly used my hand to remove the clumped mud that was clogging my rear tire and wiped my muddy hand on my leg to not get my grip dirty, at which point I realized I had just wiped dog shit all over my leg and it was on my hand too. And of course my bike, which is pretty much a weekly occurrence in Austin, TX. Then at that exact moment my kid needed my help to get back on path and going again. I had to use our only water bottle to try and get the dog crap off my hand. Then manage my kid, and my bike, with only 1 clean hand. Eventually I got us to a bathroom (no soap) to try and clean up. And then our father-daughter time was cut short because I used our only water trying to get the dog crap off me.
    Cigarette smokers and dog owners are definitely the least considerate people I encounter. Constantly leaving their filthy trash for others to deal with.
    Keep your damn dog on a leash, pick up it's crap, control that animal, and if you live in the city do not let that canine bark incessantly and interrupt other's peace.

Whine, whine, whine. Boo hoo. You did something dumb. Own it. And while I agree that dog owners should clean up after them, my dog isn’t required to be leashed in most of the places I ride. And she ALWAYS shits off trail, because I trained her to do so. Why you so angry? Has Austin gotten that bad?

Bikesexual
    The issue is, some people want the trail to themselves, that is never going to happen and you have to be ready for whatever is on the trail.

If you want to be alone, you have to ride at off hours, or learn to share.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Big Mac

Whine, whine, whine. Boo hoo. You did something dumb. Own it. And while I agree that dog owners should clean up after them, my dog isn’t required to be leashed in most of the places I ride. And she ALWAYS shits off trail, because I trained her to do so. Why you so angry? Has Austin gotten that bad?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

I almost responded pretty much identical to that.

____________divider_____
    It seems most incidents happen on paved bike paths in congested cities. Control of a dog that’s been locked in an apartment all week only to be released off leash on a paved bike path once or twice a week. All kinds of stimula going on around them with not much discipline from the owners. Plus not much socialization. There you have it. Add in the once in awhile trail rider with his dog that’s locked up for hours on end.

Yes the owners fault. Don’t stereotype against responsible dog owners. Every activity has its asshats that ruin it for the responsible ones.

Thread / Holy shit! already.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Big Mac
    I almost responded pretty much identical to that.

____________divider_____
    It seems most incidents happen on paved bike paths in congested cities. Control of a dog that’s been locked in an apartment all week only to be released off leash on a paved bike path once or twice a week. All kinds of stimula going on around them with not much discipline from the owners. Plus not much socialization. There you have it. Add in the once in awhile trail rider with his dog that’s locked up for hours on end.

Yes the owners fault. Don’t stereotype against responsible dog owners. Every activity has its asshats that ruin it for the responsible ones.

Thread / Holy shit! already.
    Exactly!

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    No, eastern transplants are the cockroaches of the west. Go home.
    Why the harshness?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    In the UK dog owners are now legally required to pick up their dog's mess and dispose of it properly. In parks and cities bins are provided. Many owners comply but there is still a significant number who either don't bother or worse, bag the dog crap then just leave the bag lying. The warden in the park I was talking about earlier said that people were tying the bags of dog crap to trees! What the feck goes through a person's head for them to figure that is a reasonable thing to do?

Unfortunately the selfishness of some dog owners is amply illustrated by the accusations of 'whining'. They clearly think it's perfectly acceptable to let your dog crap on public path and leave it there knowing that it is inevitable that another trail user will step or ride through it. When you consider how easy it would be to avoid, by either moving the dog off the trail or chucking the mess off the strail with a stick, their lack of any consideration is compounded.

Also noteworthy is the blaming of the rider for doing something 'dumb' rather than the dog owner. And you morons wonder why your dogs get shot?

mtbr member
    Don’t Worry, He Won’t Bite:LINK

Approximately 100 children in the US are bitten by dogs every day! If you included the bites not requiring medical attention or reported you can imagine how much higher that number would be. Half of the people who die from dog bites are children.

Overall there are about 4.7 million reported dog bites each year which means you've got a 1 in 69 chance of being bitten by a dog! Again, that's based on reported bites.

This is just reported human bites and says nothing about the other things they bite. Other animals, other dogs. My point is to balance the defensive rhetoric from dog lovers that dogs are nothing other than innocent cuddly friends. I love dogs but I've been bitten by them. I've seen them be very unpredictable and vicious. They can and do represent a risk at times and a response can be justified and prudent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    people were tying the bags of dog crap to trees! What the feck goes through a person's head for them to figure that is a reasonable thing to do?
    WTF is with dog shit ornaments. I'm going to hang my dog's bag of shit from a tree. Lets decorate the woods with bags of shit. What the actual ****?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    WTF is with dog shit ornaments. I'm going to hang my dog's bag of shit from a tree. Lets decorate the woods with bags of shit. What the actual ****?
    I don't know but I've seen it myself. Even just leaving the bag on the ground, which is more common, is worse than not doing anything. If you leave bare crap on he ground it will eventually get washed away etc but if it's in a bag it'll still get trodden on but now you'e got a shite-covered bit of pelethene stuck to the ground. It'll stay there for much longer, but that's what people do.

I've come to the conclusion that some people are just so selfish and retarded there is nothing you can do with them. Common sense and reason simple don't apply to them.

mtbr member
    Approximately 100 children in the US are bitten by dogs every day!

Yep, and most of them are bitten by their own dogs, at home.

I don't think anyone is saying that all dogs are well behaved, even tempered and friendly. Of course it's the owners responsibility to keep them under control and of course not all owners do that, again I don't think that even the most ardent dog lover here is saying otherwise. I think the main point the pro-dog people here are trying to convey is that most dogs, like most people, aren't perfect and if either of them happens to make a mistake to please refrain from shooting.

My dog is pretty average, she's a mutt (like me) about 40 pounds and fairly well behaved. I've spent a fair amount of time training her but like most people not enough, I'm not perfect and neither is she. She has misbehaved around strangers before but no one has shot her because in real life that's not what people do. I've found that people, unlike keyboard warriors are generally reasonable.

How many here have actually shot a dog in self defense?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Why the harshness?

Sorry, I guess I like coyotes more than I like a lot of people.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Big Mac
    In the UK dog owners are now legally required to pick up their dog's mess and dispose of it properly. In parks and cities bins are provided. Many owners comply but there is still a significant number who either don't bother or worse, bag the dog crap then just leave the bag lying. The warden in the park I was talking about earlier said that people were tying the bags of dog crap to trees! What the feck goes through a person's head for them to figure that is a reasonable thing to do?

Unfortunately the selfishness of some dog owners is amply illustrated by the accusations of 'whining'. They clearly think it's perfectly acceptable to let your dog crap on public path and leave it there knowing that it is inevitable that another trail user will step or ride through it. When you consider how easy it would be to avoid, by either moving the dog off the trail or chucking the mess off the strail with a stick, their lack of any consideration is compounded.

Also noteworthy is the blaming of the rider for doing something 'dumb' rather than the dog owner. And you morons wonder why your dogs get shot?
    Oh please. The guy was riding in conditions that he shouldn’t have been riding in, in a place he knows to be full of dog shit, and he chose to “free his wheel” with his hand? And then wipe it on his leg? That’s dumb. Sorry. The rest is just a comedy of errors. This guy chose this thread to air all of his grievances, concerning smokers, dog shit, dogs barking, and dogs roaming and lumped it all together. In other words, whining. And at what point did I, or anybody defend irresponsible dog ownership?

Big Mac
    It’s baffling. They take the time to bag it, but then leave it. Why not just flick it in the woods? I’ve asked people about why they do it, and they all claim that they’ll pick it up on their way out. We all know how that goes.

This thread is in a state of Entropy.

Mountain Biker's dog shot while out on the trails-8ab30f80-c97a-4fea-b067-cb8adcab24be.jpg
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Big Mac
    This thread is in a state of Entropy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8AB30F80-C97A-4FEA-B067-CB8ADCAB24BE.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	1234188
    Ain’t it the troof.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    We have a common trail here with a sign saying to carry out your trash. There is no trash can. Usually when I ride by it there are 5 bags of dog crap sitting directly in front of the sign. No other trash.
    The city closes the natural swimming hole below this area after rains, due to high bacteria levels from dog 'waste' running down. So that gets ruined as well.
    Like I said, dog owners are often very inconsiderate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Last weekend my wife and I went out to a nice restaurant to enjoy a quiet evening after a tough week. We were seated near a table with two young children who fought with each other and threw food on the ground and one baby who screamed throughout the dinner. The next morning I had to fly across the US for work and had to deal with more screaming babies and one set of parents that thought it was cute to let their toddler run up and down the aisle for half the flight. Parents are definitely the least considerate people I encounter. At the local bike park I have to stop numerous times because some parent thought it was good idea to bring their inexperienced 8-year old on an advanced run. Keep your damn kids under control, and if you live in the city do not let them scream incessantly and interrupt other's peace (and keep your damn kids off my lawn

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8AB30F80-C97A-4FEA-B067-CB8ADCAB24BE.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	1234188
    Yet people still believe in evolution eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drich View Post
    Last weekend my wife and I went out to a nice restaurant to enjoy a quiet evening after a tough week. We were seated near a table with two young children who fought with each other and threw food on the ground and one baby who screamed throughout the dinner. The next morning I had to fly across the US for work and had to deal with more screaming babies and one set of parents that thought it was cute to let their toddler run up and down the aisle for half the flight. Parents are definitely the least considerate people I encounter. At the local bike park I have to stop numerous times because some parent thought it was good idea to bring their inexperienced 8-year old on an advanced run. Keep your damn kids under control, and if you live in the city do not let them scream incessantly and interrupt other's peace (and keep your damn kids off my lawn

I bet the parents hung the dirty diaper from the chandelier too

I’m with you there. A couple summers ago I was out riding a trail that has a large amount of rattlesnake activity. There are “Danger Rattlesnake” signs posted as you enter from the trailhead and periodically on the trail. I was on my way back and had seen 2 rattlesnakes that day. I came up on two separate groups of families hiking. Both encounters there were 2 to 3 toddlers running down the trail 50’ ahead of their parents. Both groups I warned the parents of the rattlesnake danger and to keep your kids close. One couple said thanks and did nothing as I watched them continue on. The other couple said nothing, gave me a funny look and did nothing as I watched them continue on. I guess they won’t be the ones taking the painful and possibly deadly snake strike with decoys out in front.

One ring to mash them all
    Last weekend my wife and I went out to a nice restaurant to enjoy a quiet evening after a tough week. We were seated near a table with two young children who fought with each other and threw food on the ground and one baby who screamed throughout the dinner. The next morning I had to fly across the US for work and had to deal with more screaming babies and one set of parents that thought it was cute to let their toddler run up and down the aisle for half the flight. Parents are definitely the least considerate people I encounter. At the local bike park I have to stop numerous times because some parent thought it was good idea to bring their inexperienced 8-year old on an advanced run. K
    All shootable offences /s
    ITMFA

mtbr member
    Lol
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I've been bitten by a few dogs but the most painful bite I've ever received was inflicted by an 8 year old kid.

True story, keep them damn things leashed!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Drown 'em like puppies.

Cycologist
    It’s baffling. They take the time to bag it, but then leave it. Why not just flick it in the woods? I’ve asked people about why they do it, and they all claim that they’ll pick it up on their way out. We all know how that goes.

We have a common trail here with a sign saying to carry out your trash. There is no trash can. Usually when I ride by it there are 5 bags of dog crap sitting directly in front of the sign. No other trash.
    The city closes the natural swimming hole below this area after rains, due to high bacteria levels from dog 'waste' running down. So that gets ruined as well.
    Like I said, dog owners are often very inconsiderate.

Leaving dog poo can spread germs, probably to wildlife as well. A lot of people solve their problems by just making them someone else's problems. They don't want to carry around a sack of dog crap but they figure if they leave it where it is visible, some nice person will carry it out for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Up In Smoke

Definitely my biggest pet peeve.

Big Mac
    I've been bitten by a few dogs but the most painful bite I've ever received was inflicted by an 8 year old kid.

Did you shoot it?

mtbr member
    Did you read my post? He has no obligation to be pre-educated on what your dog means when it growls and has little opportunity to do so. It is your responsibility to ensure your dog is not viewed as a threat by others. It is not their responsibility to learn your dog's language.
    How do people like this walk around every day. What if a pan handler comes up, they can be aggressive, why not shoot them? Some kid misses his bus and knocks on your door asking for directions, pull out your shotgun and chase him off your property.(Which has happened)

There are times when it makes sense to shoot a dog for sure, but growling... I don't think you should shoot someone for shoplifting either, and i am sure people on here disagree.

A lot of people should just stay inside.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    What if a pan handler comes up, they can be aggressive, why not shoot them?
    Or the guy that walks into the barbershop, asks to use the bathroom, is told it's for customers only, walks out in a huff and pees on the sidewalk behind the shop's door.

Happened during my haircut yesterday.
    ITMFA

All fat, all the time.

And they spread germs like no other!!
    Lol

mtbr member
    Did you shoot it?

No, but if I had it's owners would have deserved it
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    How do people like this walk around every day. What if a pan handler comes up, they can be aggressive, why not shoot them?
    Well, some reasons would include:

-We can communicate far better with other humans than guessing what animals are doing/thinking. That doesn't mean we can communicate effectively all the time, but at least we have language and words that we both understand, like "stop".

-The panhandler probably doesn't have rabies.

-The panhandler doesn't have the mouth-full of bacteria that a dog has and is probably not going to attempt to bite you. Yes, it's been tested that dogs have some especially nasty strains of bacteria in their mouth that cause far more damage than a simple bite.

-If the panhandler is acting aggressive, you might need to defend yourself, it happens. That probably doesn't mean escalating to shooting, just like bear-spray will take care of an aggressive dog just fine, but the more aggressive they are, the more options are available as reasonable recourse.

-In general, animals like medium sized dogs are quicker than humans and able to get ahold of you by grabbing your legs/arms. You might ultimately win with multiple bites and lacerations, but it's going to be easier to out-maneuver a human than a medium sized dog. The also travel over rougher terrain (off trail) much better than humans, who are more "boxed in" by the trail and terrain. If you've ridden much with trail dogs, this is very apparent.

This was a huge false equivalency to state that encountering a panhandler is the same thing as someone's aggressive dog. There are very good reasons why they are different. It's a big frightening that someone would think it's the same thing.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Well, some reasons would include:

-We can communicate far better with other humans than guessing what animals are doing/thinking. That doesn't mean we can communicate effectively all the time, but at least we have language and words that we both understand, like "stop".

-The panhandler probably doesn't have rabies.

-The panhandler doesn't have the mouth-full of bacteria that a dog has and is probably not going to attempt to bite you. Yes, it's been tested that dogs have some especially nasty strains of bacteria in their mouth that cause far more damage than a simple bite.

-If the panhandler is acting aggressive, you might need to defend yourself, it happens. That probably doesn't mean escalating to shooting, just like bear-spray will take care of an aggressive dog just fine, but the more aggressive they are, the more options are available as reasonable recourse.

-In general, animals like medium sized dogs are quicker than humans and able to get ahold of you by grabbing your legs/arms. You might ultimately win with multiple bites and lacerations, but it's going to be easier to out-maneuver a human than a medium sized dog. The also travel over rougher terrain (off trail) much better than humans, who are more "boxed in" by the trail and terrain. If you've ridden much with trail dogs, this is very apparent.

This was a huge false equivalency to state that encountering a panhandler is the same thing as someone's aggressive dog. There are very good reasons why they are different. It's a big frightening that someone would think it's the same thing.
    I don’t think it’s the same thing, that wasn’t very clear, you’re right. Your points are valid as well. My point is if you’re scared, you’re scared. If you’re packing and get scared, we are all in danger.
    I’m not talking about an aggressive dog exactly, I was replying to the guy that said if a dog growls at his kid he would shoot it, that is a very aggressive response and very cowardly. A dog coming after his kid or chasing his kid, sure.

I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I'll use my dog as an example. He's a year old herding dog (Australian Kelpie mix). The only time he ever growls at any person or dog is when he's trying to get them to PLAY with him.
    I will say this, herding dogs are giant pains in the ass for mountain bikers. Twice I have had to dismount repeatedly because of those heel nipping pains in the tuchis. Both times I have been strapped, cause I am always strapped. Neither time have I felt it necessary to even think about my gun. Both times the owner didn't bother to get their dog under control until I said I was gonna give it a boot if the dog nipped me again. Both owners acted like I was the A hole for threatening their dog.

mtbr member
    My point is if you’re scared, you’re scared. If you’re packing and get scared, we are all in danger.
    You are overly dramatic when it comes to guns

Name:  671A578B-5C7F-409D-9C02-75CA2B818C59.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  42.4 KB
    Name:  0646B8AA-75BF-41D2-A724-2EFA3BC741F3.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  27.8 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

My man, anywhere your dog is off leash it should be under your voice control, and you are still responsible for picking up, and packing out it's waste.

https://www.orvis.com/trail-etiquett...king-with-dogs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    I will say this, herding dogs are giant pains in the ass for mountain bikers.
    If you were to wait until a dog actually tried to bite before you shot it, you're getting bit. They are fast.

A few years ago we were on Skye on holiday and the people who owned the cottage we rented had a Border Collie. They lived in a house next door. First day there, the kids were playing in the garden. Collie appears and chases them around the garden barking its head off. Kids were scared, youngest two were terrified and my youngest son had a fear of dogs for years. Ruined the holiday as I struggled to get them to go outside.

If I had caught that dog I would've knocked the crap out of it but there was no way I was catching it, dog was so fast. I told its owner I didn't want to see the dog again for the rest of the week and he kept it on a leash. Kids were still scared though, damage was done.

Dogs are a loaded gun. If you wait until they go off it's too late. That's what the leash is for. If you met a guy on the trail who had a gun in a holster you might be a bit nervous but if he had the gun in his hand, cocked...

High Desert MTBer
    Just read a lot of this thread... what a pile of poop! Simple answer to all this: Get cats.
    It's all Here. Now.

Big Mac

Mountain Biker's dog shot while out on the trails

If you were to wait until a dog actually tried to bite before you shot it, you're getting bit. They are fast.

A few years ago we were on Skye on holiday and the people who owned the cottage we rented had a Border Collie. They lived in a house next door. First day there, the kids were playing in the garden. Collie appears and chases them around the garden barking its head off. Kids were scared, youngest two were terrified and my youngest son had a fear of dogs for years. Ruined the holiday as I struggled to get them to go outside.

If I had caught that dog I would've knocked the crap out of it but there was no way I was catching it, dog was so fast. I told its owner I didn't want to see the dog again for the rest of the week and he kept it on a leash. Kids were still scared though, damage was done.

Dogs are a loaded gun. If you wait until they go off it's too late. That's what the leash is for. If you met a guy on the trail who had a gun in a holster you might be a bit nervous but if he had the gun in his hand, cocked...
    Well that explains your stance, at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Just read a lot of this thread... what a pile of poop! Simple answer to all this: Get cats.
    Noooooo! Cats are a pollution!! Give all the dog problems in the world over cats any day.

mtbr member
    Well that explains your stance, at least.
    Does it really? That was a few years ago. I've been around dogs my whole life. I'm fifty!...

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916 View Post
    My man, anywhere your dog is off leash it should be under your voice control, and you are still responsible for picking up, and packing out it's waste.

https://www.orvis.com/trail-etiquett...king-with-dogs
    My dude, I think you’ve got me confused with someone else. Orvis? Really?

Big Mac
    Does it really? That was a few years ago. I've been around dogs my whole life. I'm fifty!...
    Well I kind of think it does. Surely plays a part. I mean, your vacay was ruined.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    As an owner of a polarizing breed, a German Shepard, I learned long ago that it is my responsibility to ensure that all other creatures we encounter feel safe around us. Most importantly, the definition of feeling safe is up to the creatures we meet, not me. Nobody is responsible for the outcome of the interactions we have except me. My dog has never been off leash outside of her yard.

That being said, I effin hate unleashed dogs and will go on the offensive any time one approaches me, with or without my dog. I'm with Mr. Pig here, I will use any means necessary to proactively prevent a dog from getting a bite out of my flesh.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    I'm with Mr. Pig here, I will use any means necessary to proactively prevent a dog from getting a bite out of my flesh.

Ever shot one?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Don't own a gun but yesterday I smacked one with a studded Wrathchild. It chased me 50 yards before it nipped at me twice, 70 pounds growling and baring its' teeth. I dismounted and swung my rear wheel at its' head, catching it in the shoulder while its' owner was a hundred yards away doing nothing. One whack was all it took but if it wanted to fight I would not have stopped until one of us was finished.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

High Desert MTBer
    Cats would never chase you on a bike... they will also never poop on a trail... no-brainer!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Cats would never chase you on a bike... they will also never poop on a trail... no-brainer!
    Cats are man-made slightly domesticated vermin. They have no place in the natural order and are of no benefit to the world, other than a few mildly amusing internet videos.

Their 'owners' bring the cat into their neighborhood then let it loose to do whatever it wants without the consent of approval of anyone else. Why does you wanting a cat translate into me having your cat in my garden?

They are utterly selfish creatures who could not care less if their 'owners' live or die. In fact the only reason your cat does not rip you to pieces for the fun of it is that he's not big enough. They kill thousands of small birds, look it up?

While dogs can guide, rescue, defend, search and perform many useful tasks with their owners a cat contributes nothing to his environment. He is a parasite who gets away with being a total shite because he happens to look cute. The only good thing about cats that I can think of is that they fit in a microwave!

Not a cat person ;0)

mtbr member

Not a cat person ;0)

I wouldn't have guessed.

Cats are man made?

Humanity, and the resulting deforestation that supports it is responsible for infinitely more bird deaths than cats.

I guess I like cats, and just like dogs and or coyotes I have more respect for them then I do a lot of people.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cats are man-made slightly domesticated vermin. They have no place in the natural order and are of no benefit to the world, other than a few mildly amusing internet videos.

Their 'owners' bring the cat into their neighborhood then let it loose to do whatever it wants without the consent of approval of anyone else. Why does you wanting a cat translate into me having your cat in my garden?

They are utterly selfish creatures who could not care less if their 'owners' live or die. In fact the only reason your cat does not rip you to pieces for the fun of it is that he's not big enough. They kill thousands of small birds, look it up?

While dogs can guide, rescue, defend, search and perform many useful tasks with their owners a cat contributes nothing to his environment. He is a parasite who gets away with being a total shite because he happens to look cute. The only good thing about cats that I can think of is that they fit in a microwave!

Not a cat person ;0)
    Bullsh*t, our cats would go on walks with us when I was growing up and they would alert us to rattlensakes in our path. Pretty cool.

But I like dogs too...at least real dogs, not the rat-sized ones that cats can beat up or ones stunted by hundreds of years of bad breeding to produce an animal that can't run.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Also my cat(s) keep my house rat and mouse free without having to use poisons or traps, which is arguably a more useful function than my dogs serve.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Cats are man made?
    Yes. They were bred from wild cats, I think it was the ancient Egyptians, but I'm not sure. Just as domestic dogs are bred from wolves.

mtbr member
    Yes. They were bred from wild cats, I think it was the ancient Egyptians, but I'm not sure. Just as domestic dogs are bred from wolves.

Unless man personally bred those cats they didn't make them

Not even then really.
    I brake for stinkbugs

I believe the word Pig is looking for is "domesticated".
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

High Desert MTBer
    I've trained my cats to rake the yard, go to the store, massage my back and sing sweet lullabies to my kids. They also manage an outsourced call center dealing with tech issues on DirectTV, with some guest appearances at our local Apple Genius bar now and then.
    I'd like to see a dog do all that...
    It's all Here. Now.

I've trained my cats to rake the yard, go to the store, massage my back and sing sweet lullabies to my kids. They also manage an outsourced call center dealing with tech issues on DirectTV, with some guest appearances at our local Apple Genius bar now and then.
    I'd like to see a dog do all that...
    A dog can accomplish all that before breakfast and bring you the morning newspaper.

mtbr member
    I've trained my cats to rake the yard, go to the store, massage my back and sing sweet lullabies to my kids.
    If your wife finds out you refer to her as a cat she'll kill you!

mtbr member
    Unless man personally bred those cats they didn't make them
    Well, made them what they are. Wild cats, ruined.

mtbr member
    I like all animals but please keep your cats inside. The amount of birds they kill a year is in the billions. They also carry some truly bizarre viruses.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cats are meant to roam free. And kill birds.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Cats are meant to roam free. And kill birds.
    And get run over.

And get run over.
    And shot.

/FullCircle
    ITMFA

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I love my cat. Please don’t shoot it. Or run it over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Elitest thrill junkie
    And get run over.
    Just like dogs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I like all animals but please keep your cats inside. The amount of birds they kill a year is in the billions. They also carry some truly bizarre viruses.

It does make me really sad when my cat brings me a bird (to show me how good she is) and I admit it's a problem. Our other three cats are lazy and poor hunters so birds are pretty safe around them but we make little Miss killer wear a ridiculous looking collar designed to prevent her from getting them and it really is pretty effective. Cat owners concerned about this issue should look into them.

That aside I think it's hypocritical for humans to condem cats for killing birds when we are responsible for killing many times more than they do. Besides deforestation there's hunting, kids with bb guns, 22's, and 4-10's, cars (as a road cyclist I can tell you that the highways are littered with dead birds), pollution, plate glass windows, and dozens of other things us humans do exterminate birds much more effectively than cats.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member

That aside I think it's hypocritical for humans to condem cats for killing birds when we are responsible for killing many times more than they do. Besides deforestation there's hunting, kids with bb guns, 22's, and 4-10's, cars (as a road cyclist I can tell you that the highways are littered with dead birds), pollution, plate glass windows, and dozens of other things us humans do exterminate birds much more effectively than cats.
    Feral cats have to be on that list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Feral cats have to be on that list.

Of course, there were too many things people do that are harmful to bird populations for me to list. Feral cats are one for sure, but probably down there on the list as far as overall threats.

Another thing people are great at is passing the buck.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Not a single “awe” on the little German Shepard pup getting the morning paper. What a bunch of self absorbed pricks on here anymore.

Cycologist
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Not a single “awe” on the little German Shepard pup getting the morning paper. What a bunch of self absorbed pricks on here anymore.
    Awe.

But who still gets a morning paper?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

RDO
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Of course, there were too many things people do that are harmful to bird populations for me to list. Feral cats are one for sure, but probably down there on the list as far as overall threats.

Another thing people are great at is passing the buck.
    You might want to look at this:

https://abcbirds.org/program/cats-in...ats-and-birds/

FWIW these domestic cats are not naturally occurring in a lot of migratory nesting areas. They're a problem caused by people along with other people related causes (deforestation, pollution, building lights, invasive species etc.)

As noted that's what cats do, not a question of evil. For the non-feral cats, it's a not-too-difficult choice cat owners can make. BTW bells on the collar don't work, cats easily learn to keep them silent when stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post

Awe.

But who still gets a morning paper?
    That little pup and my 88 year old father.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post

FWIW these domestic cats are not naturally occurring in a lot of migratory nesting areas. They're a problem caused by people along with other people related causes (deforestation, pollution, building lights, invasive species etc.)

As noted that's what cats do, not a question of evil. For the non-feral cats, it's a not-too-difficult choice cat owners can make. BTW bells on the collar don't work, cats easily learn to keep them silent when stalking.
    This is why we have Eagles and Hawks.

Barely in control
    Cats at least bury their poo.

This place needs an enema
    Right, but why do you think this particular dog was chasing deer? Funny how most people in this thread seem to think the worst of the dog and the best of people when ime it's usually the other way around.

Also weird how it's socially acceptable to shoot a dog because it's chasing a deer that someone is planning on shooting anyway. People are strange, and I'd still consider a person who shoots a dog just because it's chasing a deer an @sshole but that's only my opinion.

I'm not big on ascribing intent to animals most times. My guess -- not having been there -- is that it was just an instinctive thing for the dog. They chase game because that's how they used to earn their living. No chase no eat.

I'd need to understand the big picture to call someone an asshole for shooting a dog (or pack of 'em) that was chasing game.

I can almost unilaterally append the word asshole to any person that knowingly allows their dog to chase game. Same goes for cats with birds -- this is a constant sore subject between myself and a few good friends.

This place needs an enema
    There's a podcast called Hidden Brain. It has an episode called Red Brain Blue Brain. It is fascinating.

Reading the responses here, after listening to it, gives some pretty clear insight into whom is whom.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yeah, in other people's mulch and flower beds
    F&_$ cats.
    Keep them in your own yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    And then hop up on you and crawl all over every piece of furniture in the house. Sometimes even walking on counter tops where food it prepped. Talk about disgusting cross contamination. 🤮

High Desert MTBer
    Amazing how a little humor injection turns to abject hatred! WTF is wrong with us all? Cats and dogs are NOT the villains here.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    ... Cats and dogs are NOT the villains here.
    That's just what THEY want you to believe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'm not big on ascribing intent to animals most times. My guess -- not having been there -- is that it was just an instinctive thing for the dog. They chase game because that's how they used to earn their living. No chase no eat.

Here's the deal, no one saw the dog chasing deer or any other creature. No one saw the dog do anything, let alone something bad or wrong. Most here seem to think that since the dog got shot then by God it must have been doing something worthy of deserving it. Couldn't possibly be that some jerk shot it just for the hell of it because some people are just @ssholes.

And if you really want to save the birds get off your computer and quit buying cheap plastic crap. Join a monestary. You my friend are responsible for more dead birds than my cat is.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    But on the plus side at least the hate and blame has shifted from dogs to cats
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Never been bit by a cat, no children have been maimed to death by a cat, and most importantly, they don't leave huge mushy sticky turds all over every public park.
    Anyways, I like dogs, it's their owners that generally suck..

High Desert MTBer
    Never been bit by a cat, no children have been maimed to death by a cat,

Much as I like cats, pretty much everything out there is gonna get you sooner or later... that's why DJ never goes near fruit...

https://www.ranker.com/list/killer-cats/jacobybancroft
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDO View Post

I'm not suggesting that cats aren't a problem for birds, just saying that It's yet another human caused one, not the cats fault. As I said before, people are great at screwing things up and then blaming anything but themselves. Those who talk about shooting bad dogs should really be punishing the dog's owners. Maybe not shoot them though.

I agree that bells for cats aren't that effective but those silly looking anti-bird killing collars seem pretty good.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Here's the deal, no one saw the dog chasing deer or any other creature. No one saw the dog do anything, let alone something bad or wrong. Most here seem to think that since the dog got shot then by God it must have been doing something worthy of deserving it. Couldn't possibly be that some jerk shot it just for the hell of it because some people are just @ssholes.

The only person that saw the dog was the shooter...period. Your belief is people are bad, dogs are good...evidenced by wanting to punish the dog owner but not a bad dog. Others side with people as good.

mtbr member
    And then hop up on you and crawl all over every piece of furniture in the house. Sometimes even walking on counter tops where food it prepped. Talk about disgusting cross contamination. 🤮

Well at least cats don't eat too their own poop

I still love them but I don't let them lick my face.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    The only person that saw the dog was the shooter...period. Your belief is people are bad, dogs are good...evidenced by wanting to punish the dog owner but not a bad dog. Others side with people as good.

I'm not siding with either, just my best guess. Who knows, maybe this purportedly friendly dog was violently attacking someone and totally deserved to get shot. It sounds like a long shot to me but I guess weirder things have happened.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Barely in control
    I have a cat. He never jumps on the counters. I can say this because I have motion detecting cameras at waist level in my house. Lots of cat owners who don't discipline their animals. Yes, they can be taught.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    There's a podcast called Hidden Brain. It has an episode called Red Brain Blue Brain. It is fascinating.

Reading the responses here, after listening to it, gives some pretty clear insight into whom is whom.
    who is whom.

And yes, you can tell who has the sensitive amygdalas.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Never been bit by a cat, no children have been maimed to death by a cat
    Pretty sure there are some cases where babies were maimed by a cat, at least badly, possibly to death.

Edit, found this one: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/55482883.cms

Seems incredibly rare, but remains a possibility.

mtbr member
    T. gondii and toxoplasmosis kills plenty of people. Probably many more fold than dog attacks. Bizarrely the same infection can cause neurological problems such as...loving cats, weird. Again I like cats (love all pets really) but think it responsible to keep them inside.

mtbr member
    It does make me really sad when my cat brings me a bird (to show me how good she is) and I admit it's a problem.
    Bell?

mtbr member
    Bell?

Post #391, I do the best I can.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast