motivation / will..etc to ride has just gone.. what now?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018

motivation / will..etc to ride has just gone.. what now?

I rode basically everyday of January (missed a couple days due to high winds) ... but I got sick a week ago and was not able to ride, more or less better now but lack the will, desire, ..??? etc to ride at all.

ordinarily I think it is super fun to ride... but now it just seems like a drag // chore that I don't wanna do...

if you've burnt out on mtb what has motivated you to get back at it...??

Nat
    mtbr member
    1. Take a break and do something else until you feel the urge to hop on your bike again.

2. That thing about trying to ride every single day for a month? Never do that again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm with Nat. Riding bikes is supposed to be fun. No need to force yourself to do it.

Leave it be for a bit. Some day soon the weather is going to get nice or one of your friend's is going to call you to go out and you're going to hop on and think "Wow, why haven't I been riding?" That's how you know that you're recharged.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    YouTube my man. Works every time for me. I donít have to watch anything in particular and I get excited to ride. From bike reviews to Friday fails, watching some videos gets me to remember why I like this stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If youíre riding alone a lot, try finding a riding partner or two.

mtbr member
    You probably just overdid it in January. I donít know where you live, but winter riding can be tough. I rode 10 days in January and some of them were absolutely miserable due to extreme low temps. February has been 10x worse so far.

Even in the summer, I top out at around 24-25 rides. The days off help your body recuperate and make you appreciate the days you do ride even more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    I rode basically everyday of January (missed a couple days due to high winds) ... but I got sick a week ago and was not able to ride, more or less better now but lack the will, desire, ..??? etc to ride at all.

ordinarily I think it is super fun to ride... but now it just seems like a drag // chore that I don't wanna do...

if you've burnt out on mtb what has motivated you to get back at it...??
    You are probably still not 100% and your body knows it. You don't want to because you're a little run down, and you are on break.
    I was sick for 5 weeks or so. I felt good for the final 2 weeks but was still week to ride. Started riding 2 weeks ago and it's been good. Only have one ride in by myself, rest have been night rides with a group once a week, so I think 3 rides with the group.
    And you are somewhat burned out perhaps.

I'm anxious to get back out there more. I rode Saturday and sunday, Saturday with friends, Sunday to get miles in.

The end of last year I was striving for an annual goal that I was on schedule for. Daylight got short and I got sick. I was close to my goal but missed it.
    Now I am soooo behind for the year so far. I have a lot of catching up to do and I'm not in the same shape I was this time last year. Going to be difficult to get at it. But I will when my body is ready. I'm tried on rides now but I ride well. Just still need some recovery.

If you are truly having a hard time riding, don't stress it and do something else. No sense in ruining your ride because you forced yourself to do so and just are upset with it.
    Take a couple weeks and you'll be back to it.

mbtr member
    Sometimes i'm super motivated and ride all the time and stack multiple 15000' weeks of climbing on top of each other. Other times idgaf, and do nothing more than commute. It's ok. I commute because it's sensible, and i ride because it makes me happy. If it doesn't make sense and isn't making you happy... take a break.

Don't turn what you do for pleasure in to work. It'll just make you hate your hobby. If you feel obligated to maintain your fitness... go do something else. There's lots of cool activities.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    The end of last year I was striving for an annual goal that I was on schedule for. Daylight got short and I got sick. I was close to my goal but missed it.
    Now I am soooo behind for the year so far. I have a lot of catching up to do and I'm not in the same shape I was this time last year. Going to be difficult to get at it. But I will when my body is ready. I'm tried on rides now but I ride well. Just still need some recovery.
    IMO, this description above sends up red flags signaling burnout waiting to happen. Setting some arbitrary goal that you feel you have to hit, then already feeling woefully behind only six weeks into the year? Yikes.

mtbr member
    New bike speed usually helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Plan a quick trip and go ride elsewhere with some buddies (it doesnít have to be far), have a good time, be silly on the bike, drink, eat what you like ... it usually does the trick and you get pumped about the whole thing ... because you feel good! We never started riding our bikes for fitness or performance, we did because it made us happy/free and had a good laugh sharing a moment with friends. Time to get back to the roots

mtbr member
    usually a day or two off does it for me, been raining the last two days and I am going crazy not being out on the trails so I am doing an urban ride tomorrow and should be back on the trails again by Friday at the latest.

sometimes you just need a break, don't force yourself into doing something especially if you are not feeling it. You are supposed to have fun and enjoy your time on the bike and not have it feel like a burden.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    IMO, this description above sends up red flags signaling burnout waiting to happen. Setting some arbitrary goal that you feel you have to hit, then already feeling woefully behind only six weeks into the year? Yikes.
    I get goal-setting, and most of them are fairly arbitrary. But burnout happens. I haven't ridden very much this year at all. I did have a spell where I just didn't want to ride at all. Now it's a weather thing that's keeping me off the trails on the days I have time for it. That happens, too. Gotta find something else you enjoy. I'm enjoying a new puppy, so not riding isn't such a bad deal.

CEO Product Failure
    Assuming you're not injured or at the point of injurying yourself due to over training:

1. Cross train. Hit the gym, lift weights, take an indoor cycling class, or just start walking/hiking.
    2. Volunteer. Trail maintenance or even assisting a local 5k (foot race).
    3. Plan a ride with a newbie with the only intention of coaching them and having a very slow, fun ride. If you've got kids or nephews/nieces, this is perfect to introduce them to mtb'ing.
    4. Completely dismantle, clean and reassemble your bike(s). Bonus points if you sign up for a maintenance class at your LBS or travel to get certified by Park Tools.
    5. Attend an outdoor tradeshow / conference. There's a few indoor shows in the Midwest which have vendors from all disciplines: hiking, mtb'ing, roadies, etc.
    6. Attend an outdoor mtb event: 24HOP, Iceman kick off launch, there's a few remaining cross events in these parts. Just be there to watch, cheer, and partake in rehydration therapy.
    7. Search Netflix/Amazon/YouTube for mtb videos. The Collective is one of my fav's. But I also am a weekly fan of PinkBike's Friday Fails (on YouTube).
    8. Go on a sabbatical. Drop everything. Stop riding. Disappear for a week/month/year. Sometimes absence make the heart grow fonder.

mtbr member
    As suggested, take a break from the damn bike. Who rides every day and doesn't get bored or sick? Damn son...

Indulge in booze and sugar instead for a few days.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Up In Smoke
    Go for a hike. There's something about being out on the trails without my bike that makes me really miss my bike.
    Kind of like playing an electric drum kit

mtbr member
    If you love it, you'll be back at it soon enough. The siren song of rubber rolling on dirt eventually calls...

Take a break, and keep it fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    get back on that bitch and show it who is boss, works for me. I punish it

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    As suggested, take a break from the damn bike. Who rides every day and doesn't get bored or sick? Damn son...

Indulge in booze and sugar instead for a few days.
    Yup..

I saw that ride every day in Jan thread title and immediately thought, "well, that's a good way to get burned out."

Live 2 Ride
    Even though I use my bike to commute almost every day, I've only been on 2 recreational rides so far this year. Just no energy to ride at all. I suspect it's my diabetes.
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    Sometimes i'm super motivated and ride all the time and stack multiple 15000' weeks of climbing on top of each other. Other times idgaf, and do nothing more than commute. It's ok. I commute because it's sensible, and i ride because it makes me happy. If it doesn't make sense and isn't making you happy... take a break.

Don't turn what you do for pleasure in to work. It'll just make you hate your hobby. If you feel obligated to maintain your fitness... go do something else. There's lots of cool activities.

This. Unless riding is your job, why would you want to ride if it's not fun? Turning fun into drudge work is a great way to completely mess up both your physical and mental health; you'll hate yourself, you'll ride like crap, and you'll get hurt. Guaranteed.

If you don't feel like riding then don't, walk away for a while and find something else to do to keep in shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    thanx for all the replies...

unfortunately my belief that I had recovered was premature as my head has been killing me all day.

I think I need to goto the ENT as I'm pretty sure I've gotten a sinus infection from being sick last week.. now.. which makes riding pretty not fun.. I'm going to get that sorted and then try to ride with some buddies later when my head isn't killing me all day..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    This. Unless riding is your job, why would you want to ride if it's not fun? Turning fun into drudge work is a great way to completely mess up both your physical and mental health; you'll hate yourself, you'll ride like crap, and you'll get hurt. Guaranteed.

If you don't feel like riding then don't, walk away for a while and find something else to do to keep in shape.

I ride for fun and fitness. Sometimes I lose motivation and have to make myself get on the bike, it's not always super fun when I first start out but always satisfying when I'm done.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014

unfortunately my belief that I had recovered was premature as my head has been killing me all day.

I think I need to goto the ENT as I'm pretty sure I've gotten a sinus infection from being sick last week.. now.. which makes riding pretty not fun.. I'm going to get that sorted and then try to ride with some buddies later when my head isn't killing me all day..
    I get sinus stuff a lot this time of year, even when I don't actually feel sick it sometimes makes riding feel like a chore. Just keep reminding yourself it is literally the worst riding of the year (at least in my area) and hang it up until you're dying to go again. I don't do it often, but a week or two off the bike always gets me physically and mentally fired up to ride.

The White Jeff W
    I have a hard time keeping myself motivated to ride in the winter so I registered for an early season race to give me incentive to keep moving and riding. Started running too just to mix it up. Best winter I've had in a long time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member

Had the sh*t for aboutta month, and hated it...exhausted, painful face and plugged ears.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I think you are probably in an over trained state. Why do I say this? I am too and I did the FTS in January as well. I'm still psyched to ride, and I 100% agree with people above on the two key things that will get you fired up:

1. Watch youtube videos on MTB. Holy crap I could be dog dead tired, put on a MTB video and I am bouncing to get out and ride!

2. Ride with other people. I ride about 50% solo vs with a routine partner. I always fight motivation a little more when I know it is a solo ride.

Now back to being overtrained. From the great knowledgeable intardweb:

Most athletes will recover from overtraining syndrome within 4-6 weeks up to 2-3 months. This will all depend on a few factors such as how overtrained you really are, genetics, and age. Determining how overtrained you are can only be answered by the amount of time it takes you to recover.
    I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long, but I took two days off, felt AWESOME on the next ride at the start but near the end was dying. The next day it literally felt like I was a balloon with all of the air let out. I've now tried taking a day off then riding, and once again, I feel good for the first hour then just start dying.

The good or bad news for me is I have a work trip coming up where I may get to ride maybe one day at most over the course of a week, so I am hoping that gives me enough recoup time to get back after it in peak shape!
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (success!)
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

No known cure
    LOL. I have a new bike sitting here in the living room I bought in early December that I still haven't rode. Travel, holidays, foul weather and a season pass to the ski hill down the street has been occupying my time.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    1. Take a break and do something else until you feel the urge to hop on your bike again.

2. That thing about trying to ride every single day for a month? Never do that again.
    This... burnout is no joke. Riding a bike daily, especially in nasty weather will destroy your motivation.

mtbr member
    I rode today and felt a lot better! Iím hoping a few days and Iíll be chomping. Good timing as Iím riding in Switzerland on Sunday, hehe
    Strive CF 8 / Farley EX 8
    2020 Dry January 2020 (success!)
    2020 FTS 2020 (success!)

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    I'm really hoping it doesn't take that long, but I took two days off, felt AWESOME on the next ride at the start but near the end was dying. The next day it literally felt like I was a balloon with all of the air let out. I've now tried taking a day off then riding, and once again, I feel good for the first hour then just start dying.

The good or bad news for me is I have a work trip coming up where I may get to ride maybe one day at most over the course of a week, so I am hoping that gives me enough recoup time to get back after it in peak shape!
    That's for serious, chronic, overtraining. Most people would just back off on the intensity of their riding and couldn't/wouldn't even reach that point. If someone jumped in the TdF and rode like there was a gun to their head, that's what would happen.

Take a week or so, eat, sleep, let your body recover.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019

Professional Crastinator
    Just add beer and pizza!
    motivation / will..etc to ride has just gone.. what now?-20200203_131705.jpg

But really, make it fun... wide open... no preconceptions. Get lost for awhile and don't keep track.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

be1
    too hot to hoot
    instead of trying to go all out, try to go slow. eventually you want to go faster but it's not always the best thing. make it a tour of the trail instead of a race. you might see something you missed before...
    you know that the hypnotized never lie - do they

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    get back on that bitch and show it who is boss, works for me. I punish it
    "you can't always be motivated, but you can always be disciplined."

There have been many times I've not felt like going for a ride (because of weather, or tiredness, or just feeling bleh, etc) and I've given myself a kick up the arse and got on the bike and come back feeling a hundred times better. Very rarely will I finish a ride and not feel like I've enjoyed it, regardless of how I felt at the start. But by the same token if you're out there and not "feeling it" then back off or cut it short as that's when accidents happen. Try something different, go for a gravel mission or ride through town hitting stairs and drops. Or if I really don't feel like riding going out in the bush and working on a trail usually soon gets the stoke levels back up there.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Someone else said it already but plan a trip. I always plan a riding trip in February. Keeps me motivated to keep fit when the all I want to do is sit at home.

I am actually on my trip right now. Just finished three big days of riding in the California sun. It feels so good to come off the trainer and ride with the locals who have been doing nothing but riding.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Live 2 Ride
    I rode 39.5 miles yesterday. Pushed myself far too hard. Physically made me feel even worse than I already was. :/
    My Bike: '18 Giant Talon 3 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Go where ever you store your bike and start staring at it...then smoke some weed. Report back.

Also, based on some recent posts in this forum...it seems a lot of people really dont know what its like to have a training plan. Or at least understand any strategy about how to vary intensity/recovery with a high volume of riding.

slow
    Seems like this happens to me a couple of times each year, usually in the winter and in late summer. There are lots of good suggestions in this thread. Things that have worked for me in the past include:

1. Peer pressure. Plan rides with others. There have been a few 5:30am rides in single digit temperatures lately that I know I would not have ridden if I didn't have friends meeting me at the trail head. Also, I don't want to be the guy everyone is waiting for on the weekly club and group rides, so that keeps me riding some days.

2. Ride somewhere different. I prefer to ride form home instead of driving, but by late summer I have usually ridden my back yard trails so much that I could ride them in my sleep, so I usually try to go somewhere else to ride, whether it is an hour away or a day away. Planning some bigger late season rides with friends even added some peer pressure. Last season having

3. Register for an event. The commitment of dropping some money and fear of embarrassment of failing is pretty motivating. I used to sign up in January or February to race an endurance event every August or September and that stuck in the back of my mind all season. A couple of years ago, committing to a 3 day 220 mile bikepacking trip in late July had the same effect.

4. Take photos. I enjoy taking photos, so I spend quite a bit of pedal time looking for great photo opportunities. Vistas, sunrises, sunsets, flowers, wildlife, etc.

5. Mix it up. Sometime sessioning a tech bit until you get it can be as rewarding as long hard miles. Doing a bike path ride with my wife during which we stop about halfway through for coffee or breakfast around the 15 or 20 mile mark can also keep riding fresh for me.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Do you have another sport? If so do that for a bit. I phase between kitesurfing and mtb for my primary adrenaline kick. Whats good about both sports is they compliment each others bad conditions.

When its too stinking hot to ride theres generally a seabreeze and its nice and refreshing getting in the water,,,,, when its blowning 40 bastards and raining its time to boost to the moon kitesurfing. In between those is mountain biking.

I also give a +1 to find a like minded group. I have a group of about 20 dudes i can call on for riding my style of enjoyment. We have a viber group set up where if anyone wants to ride we just post in the group. Theres general 3 or 4 dudes keen to ride. Riding in a group is generally slower and more fun. Theres the social aspect and you probably wont over train. Unless you are the slowest in the group..... then you will be riding hard. In that respect its always good to not be the slowest guy.