More great news for Tahoe area Mt. BIkers- Mtbr.com
    I am lost, I'm no guide

More great news for Tahoe area Mt. BIkers

Forest Service plan eliminates some Tahoe trails

RENO, Nev. (AP) - A new Forest Service plan will eliminate nearly 13 miles of trails in two popular Lake Tahoe recreation areas and prohibit mountain bike riders from leaving established trails.

The plan under study for about two years involves mostly non-motorized use and covers the Freel and Meiss management areas in the southern and southeast portions of the Tahoe Basin.

Although some trails would be eliminated, Forest Service officials said 63 miles of managed system trails will remain.

The ruling was released last week and is subject to appeal.

Officials said the goal is to reduce the creation of informal trails and damage to meadows, streams and creeks.

A key element of the plan is to prevent bicyclists from taking cross-country shortcuts by using non-system trails.

``These are very sensitive environmental areas, and it's essential for mountain bikers to keep to system trails,'' said Rex Norman, spokesman for the Forest Services Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit.

But officials said the goal is also to reduce impacts from all users, including hikers and horse riders.

``What has happened is that spider web trails have developed,'' Norman said. ``These trails aren't properly designed or maintained and can lead to major erosion problems.''

------

Information from: Reno Gazette-Journal, http://www.rgj.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    i've only been down in south lake a few times, but it sounds like this area is fairly near the populated parts of town? most parts of the north lake/truckee area the terrain is too rugged for just random riding and creating new trails without really thinking about it. the parts of south lake i'm familiar with (toads, and the rim trail) probably also fall into that category. for what it's worth, i also am against the proliferation of random shortcuts and stuff, but if i know the government, they're probably talking about anything you can't drive a green pickup truck on.

take heart tho, the forest service doesn't have enough people to enforce anything on any trails worth riding. in 16 months of riding mtn bike and motorcycle in truckee i only saw a ranger once, and that was at the motocross track on a saturday morning.
    mark weaver
    kuna, id

Hill crawler

Forest Service adds trails too

Quote Originally Posted by velosapiens
    i've only been down in south lake a few times, but it sounds like this area is fairly near the populated parts of town? most parts of the north lake/truckee area the terrain is too rugged for just random riding and creating new trails without really thinking about it. the parts of south lake i'm familiar with (toads, and the rim trail) probably also fall into that category. for what it's worth, i also am against the proliferation of random shortcuts and stuff, but if i know the government, they're probably talking about anything you can't drive a green pickup truck on.

take heart tho, the forest service doesn't have enough people to enforce anything on any trails worth riding. in 16 months of riding mtn bike and motorcycle in truckee i only saw a ranger once, and that was at the motocross track on a saturday morning.
    While it's easy to be a naysayer about closure of trails we should note that the Forest Service actually adds trails and encourages responsible mountain biking. For example a couple of years ago they added about 15 miles of sustainable single-track with parking at three access points - The Sawtooth Trail. And they conveniently ignore other trails if they're sensibly 'designed'. Part of their scope is to use the TNF as a recreational resource. Thanks Smokey.

Members who have read this thread: 0