More comfortable saddle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

More comfortable saddle?

Wondering what some good options are that provide a more comfortable ride? I have the stock one now that come with my EX8 and its like sitting on needles. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    1) If you are serious about getting a saddle that fits nice, get your sit bones measured. Some of the bigger shops should have a device with which to do this if you a) can't do it yourself, or b) are squeemish about a mechanic touching your butt.

2) find a saddle with a width that matches or is slightly larger

3) rejoice in a properly fitted saddle.

Hardness of a saddle matters far less than the saddle fitting you properly, so keep this in mind when looking. My recommendation? I ride a Brooks Team Pro, and also rode on WTB Valcons. I find both comfortable, but a little more about what you are looking for out of a saddle, other than comfort, may be in order.

Bear in mind that certain shapes will affect your comfort...broader saddles are not as comfortable if your bars are below the saddle, whereas a narrower one is likely to be less comfortable above the bars.

Tool
    Make sure your current saddle and entire cockpit are set up properly before blaming the saddle. Very small changes in saddle height and angle can yield huge gains in comfort. For example, having your saddle just 1/8" too high can cause your hips to rock as you pedal, causing bruising on the soft tissue surrounding your sit bones.

Things like stem angle and length can also affect how your weight is distributed on the saddle. There is a lot you can play around with before giving up on your current saddle.

Unfortunately, there's no way for any of us to tell you which saddle your rump may like should you choose to replace it, and thus the fitting advice from wschruba.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What they said. As well as If you recently purchased this bike within the year, Most likely your LBS includes a free fit service after you get some miles in to assist with any issues or questions. Just someone wanting a new saddle we usually measure their rump at ours anyway. Can never guess when it comes to something like comfort and safety for that matter.

Myself personally, I've only been bothered a slight bit by saddle pain, and that was nothing that a Baggy style Chamois couldn't fix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'll go by the shop to have them adjust the saddle height and angle. It definitely isn't right the way it is now as it bruised my sitting bones after roughly 30-45 mins (on the road). Was going to go for a little ride again today but it still hurt a little too bad, just hoping that by Sat it will be set up better for a half day ride I have planned......

banned
    Sep 2012
    I moved my saddle forward a hair and adjusted the angle a tiny bit and noticed a difference. My stumpjumper ht came with a paper thin saddle (esp compared to my old bikes) and I thought I would want to swap it out... Now I don't even think about it which means it ain't bothering me. My LBS helped me with the height but I did the other adjustments on the trail. Like others have said, minor adjustments could make your current saddle workout great for you.

banned
    A nice pair of riding shorts goes a long way also. Even on the worst fitting designed saddle with good shorts you should not be sore after only 30 minutes. Unless all of your weight is on the saddle, saddle to low or bike too small.

Members who have read this thread: 0