Minimalist hydration hip pack???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Minimalist hydration hip pack???

I currently use a Camelbak Flash Flo LR hip pack for most of my rides. I also have a Camelbak Mule for all day big trips.

I love the idea of a hippack for hydration, but my Camelbak Flash Flo LR is still a bit larger than I need. I donít carry THAT much when i ride nowadays.

What is the most streamlined hydration waist pack with the following criteria?

- 1L bladder capacity or so
    - Just enough room to carry a multi-tool and small backcountry research Tulbag
    - I do NOT want a pack that carries water bottles
    - Streamlined comfortable fit

mtbr member
    I just got an osprey seral yesterday. So far it's pretty nice. Roomy for sure. I'll report back after riding with it. It definitely feels more stable than my current dakine hot laps 2L.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    I just got an osprey seral yesterday. So far it's pretty nice. Roomy for sure. I'll report back after riding with it. It definitely feels more stable than my current dakine hot laps 2L.
    Osprey makes GREAT gear, I have a couple of their packs, but the Seral is definitely much larger than what Iím looking for.

Short-Change-Hero
    Most anything that is going to be a hip pack below 1.5-2L (space not water) is not going to have a reservoir and will only carry bottles. If you want a reservoir you are most likely going to have to step up to the larger packs, if not then something that carries bottles is your weapon of choice.

Only one that I can think of that is fairly small but still has a smallish reservoir is the Evoc Hip Pack Pro, want to say that is 3L size though.

Bikesexual
    I have two that you can consider minimalist:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Dakine-Shuttle-6L-Pack

and I just got this one, for group rides and because the Dakine is a bit worn. (normally I'm packless on solo rides)

https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Ratchet-Pack

Edit: Out of the 2, the Dakine is shorter, more compact (even though it says 6L) the Ratchet is thinner a bit longer. (black is on sale for $44.99)
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Most anything that is going to be a hip pack below 1.5-2L (space not water) is not going to have a reservoir and will only carry bottles. If you want a reservoir you are most likely going to have to step up to the larger packs, if not then something that carries bottles is your weapon of choice.

Only one that I can think of that is fairly small but still has a smallish reservoir is the Evoc Hip Pack Pro, want to say that is 3L size though.
    I actually have that Evoc pack on itís way back to amazon. That was still larger than Iíd like.

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I have two that you can consider minimalist:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Dakine-Shuttle-6L-Pack

and I just got this one, for group rides and because the Dakine is a bit worn. (normally I'm packless on solo rides)

https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Ratchet-Pack

Edit: Out of the 2, the Dakine is shorter, more compact (even though it says 6L) the Ratchet is thinner a bit longer. (black is on sale for $44.99)
    Those are backpacks, Iím looking for a HIP/WAIST pack

Short-Change-Hero
    My buddy has the Dakine Hot Laps one and that is pretty small compared to the EVOC Pro (which I have) but I agree that there is nothing "small" about the EVOC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakillerta View Post
    Osprey makes GREAT gear, I have a couple of their packs, but the Seral is definitely much larger than what Iím looking for.
    I also have the dakine hot laps 2L. While it's not a hydration pack, I find the size perfect for short rides where you just need the essentials... and if needed can carry a bottle. It's also only $40.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by rmanalan View Post
    I also have the dakine hot laps 2L. While it's not a hydration pack, I find the size perfect for short rides where you just need the essentials... and if needed can carry a bottle. It's also only $40.
    Correct, the 2L is not a hydration pack (no bladder) where as the 5L has one. My buddy runs the 5L and like I said, it seems quite a bit smaller than my Evoc Pro which is supposedly a 3L.

One ring to mash them all
    Has anyone taken a generic hip pack (not meant for hydration per se) and added their own hydration system? Seems that something like a Platypus 1L soft bottle, hose & bite valve would meet the "minimalist" profile if you had a decent pack to put it in.
    "Dread it, run from it. Destiny arrives all the same."
    ó Thanos

EAT MORE GRIME
    get your pack
    get some other lame pack
    find local seamstress/dress maker/costume maker
    talk about what you want
    can seamstress do it ? probably get a mad custom pack right here
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Has anyone taken a generic hip pack (not meant for hydration per se) and added their own hydration system? Seems that something like a Platypus 1L soft bottle, hose & bite valve would meet the "minimalist" profile if you had a decent pack to put it in.
    Thatís exactly what Iíve been thinking of doing, I was just hoping someone had this sorted out already without me having to Ďrigí something

mtbr member
    Formerly Travis Bickle

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    Not a bad idea, actually.

I have that bottle, it's pretty tall. The 2 packs you listed are for smaller bottles. I'd be tempted to rig something up to keep the bigger bottle more secure, maybe just a shock cord loop.
    "Dread it, run from it. Destiny arrives all the same."
    ó Thanos

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbacon View Post
    I can vouch for the Rapid Pack. It disappears within 30 seconds of putting it on. I had the Dakine Hot Laps 2L at the same time to compare. I returned the Dakine and kept the Rapid Pack.

mtbr member
    The Dakine Hot Laps that does have hydration (5L apparently) is a great size, I think.

If I'm not greedy it's plenty of water for a fairly demanding 3-4 hour ride and enough room for basic tools to cover every potential situation and my phone. I strap a tube and CO2 under my saddle.

I don't consider it big at all. I barely notice it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I just tuck a 1 L bladder in my middle jersey pocket. Works great. I use a 1/2 L when its not too hot or for shorter rides.