Mind-Reading Prius Bike Can Shift Gears with Just a Thought!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mind-Reading Prius Bike Can Shift Gears with Just a Thought!

DeepLocal also designed a smartphone app to monitor heart rate, speed, and cadence. This could allow the bike to be programmed to behave intelligently in the future, remembering the driver’s behavior on a certain route and switching to autopilot mode for auto shifting. The design of the bike overall is subtle, but this type of technology has all sorts of implications in terms of futuristic features. We’re excited to see how people pick this up and run with it. See the video for more details on this unique bike

http://inhabitat.com/the-prius-proje...ust-a-thought/

mtbr member
    Not really 'mind reading' but still really cool. They should have set it up as an add-on to any road bike rather then making their own bikes.
    "Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - John F. Kennedy

Setup:
    11' Giant XTC 2 29er

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by ga_kush View Post

DeepLocal also designed a smartphone app to monitor heart rate, speed, and cadence. This could allow the bike to be programmed to behave intelligently in the future, remembering the driver’s behavior on a certain route and switching to autopilot mode for auto shifting. The design of the bike overall is subtle, but this type of technology has all sorts of implications in terms of futuristic features. We’re excited to see how people pick this up and run with it. See the video for more details on this unique bike

http://inhabitat.com/the-prius-proje...ust-a-thought/
    Kinda takes the fun out of riding, doesn't it?

You also forgot to add metrics such as pedal load and trail grade and surface type. Might work for a city bike or a paved path.

I dunno... are you trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Man! I have been waiting for this!!!!!!

I always thought pushing a button with my finger was WAAAAY to much work!

ballbuster

Srsly

Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    Man! I have been waiting for this!!!!!!

I always thought pushing a button with my finger was WAAAAY to much work!

/me high fives isacariot

again, are we trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist?

It's been done, maybe without as high tech of a shifting system, but it's been done. And trust me on this... this thing blows... hard. I actually have a bud who bought one. It shifts whenever it wants to... not when you want to... usually under load while cranking up a hill. KACHUNK!!!!

Now, with PEDALS!!

Oh man. I read the Prius Bike page again. Yes, techno grandstanding.

Some poster hit that nail on the head. I mean, with my thumb, finger and shifter, it's practically reading my mind already.

The problem is, shifting is very dependent on timing... not within a few seconds of when you hit a certain GPS point of the road or whatever... within quarter seconds.

Like, I want to downshift while cranking up a hill while maintaining my momentum. So I time my shifts between pedal strokes in the dead spots. I slightly lay off the power for a quarter or half a crank stroke so I don't mash my gears.

Now, with enough sensors this can probably be achieved with computers, but really.... what problem are we trying to solve here? Pushing a shift lever is not that hard... not to warrant all of this computer crap on my bike, I can tell you that much right now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    again, are we trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist? ...............
    Now, with enough sensors this can probably be achieved with computers, but really.... what problem are we trying to solve here? Pushing a shift lever is not that hard... not to warrant all of this computer crap on my bike, I can tell you that much right now.
    You'd be surprised, some people can't shift.

ballbuster

I can guarantee you...

Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    You'd be surprised, some people can't shift.
    .. even those that can't can probably do better than a computer, at least until the computers can read all of the road and conditions.

Believe me, my wife is not a cyclist at all. She really can't figure out gearing, but even she can get herself down the road without mashing gears and causing chainsuck.

WAAAAHHH! I can't learn to shift, so I need a computer!!

Okay, maybe I can see something like this for a CVT kinda hub. Anything where you have to let off the pedals during the shift, tho... is bound to cause massive chainsuck, drivetrain wear and problems.

I hate to be so blunt, but IMO this is the stupidest idea ever... right up there with supply-side economics.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-11-2011 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its the wave of the future...