Middleburn, home brew spiderless... chainline.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Middleburn, home brew spiderless... chainline.

Anyone using this setup for a 1x9? What did you do to deal with the chainline?

I tried it last night and the chainline sucked... ring rides too far outboard. Plus the chain guide needs to run so far out that it barely clears the crank arm... and I use a Paul's keeper which is very small... I doubt your standard e-13 or MRP would work.

(edited below because I goofed).

Going to have to move my spacers around to fix chainline.
    Last edited by h2otaco; 01-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Never mind, I 'm an idiot.
    Last edited by AZ; 01-12-2012 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Never mind, I 'm an idiot.
    LOL! Thanks... that was very helpful.

AZ
    banned
    Can you run a spacer outboard of the spider to space it in?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Can you run a spacer outboard of the spider to space it in?
    Okay, so I'M an idiot too. I had what spacer was needed where, flipped in my head... I actually need less spacers on the driveside, not more... which actually solves my problem.

As for your question... that was my first thought, but I think it would probably put the splines under more strain as it would reduce the interface (i.e. 5mm spacer means 5mm less spline interface).

Anyway, so the issue of chain-line will probably be fixable, but people wanting to run any chainguide on a 1x9/10 will still have issues with standard chainguides. I think Paul's will be the only solution there.

nothing to see here
    I've ordered a HbC spiderless chainring for my new Middleburns. How much difference is there between the Middleburn ring's chainline and the HbC chainline?

As for your issue with the 1x9 set up, has your rear derailleur got an adjustable spring tension on it? I've heard that you can set some to run tighter, which helps with not dropping the chain at the front.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

exact chainline

I have a similar drivetrain setup (middleburns with hbc spiderless, Paul chain catcher, and gears in the back).

How did you configure your spacers and what was the resulting chainline?? Right now I have the bracket for the Paul catcher and a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. I had to use a 1.8mm spacer on the nds otherwise my cranks were binding (nobody has better tolerances than shimano!!). My chainline is about 59mm which is way too wide. Riding in the 36T cog is really loud. I'm going to move the 2.5mm spaced to the nds to see if it helps. But it will still be wide. I didn't realize that the Middleburn spiderless ring had so much offset...

Would love to hear your experience!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    I've ordered a HbC spiderless chainring for my new Middleburns. How much difference is there between the Middleburn ring's chainline and the HbC chainline?

As for your issue with the 1x9 set up, has your rear derailleur got an adjustable spring tension on it? I've heard that you can set some to run tighter, which helps with not dropping the chain at the front.
    I believe the middleburn chainline is 50 or 51. With the hbc it is more like 58 or 59. The middleburn ring has a lot of built in offset.

Members who have read this thread: 0