Mfg Warranties- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mfg Warranties

mtbr member

Mfg Warranties

I am at the point where I will most likely buy a new bike next season and I've already started to see what's out there. I was kind of surprised to see the "boutique" made in USA frames to have a relatively short warranty period when compared to the big guys (Trek, Spesh, C'dale, Giant are lifetime) I looked at Transition and it's only 2 years, then crash replacement...same with Yeti and Banshee. I've bought used in the past without any issue but my ONLY purpose of going new is for the frame warranty. As much as I'd prefer to go with a smaller company I'll most likely end up with a Giant or Trek for the warranty. What is everyone's take or experience on this?

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    What is everyone's take or experience on this?
    I think that's a lot to ask. Seriously, everyone?
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Interplanetary Poultry
    Go for the bike that suites you best, if that is a Trek or Specialized, so be it. If it's an Ibis or Santa Cruz, nothing wrong with that either. I wouldn't get too hung up on a lifetime frame warranty.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I think that's a lot to ask. Seriously, everyone?
    Not really...only 12,403 viewing the forum right now and of those only about 2.5k users..not much to ask at all. Aim high and achieve low.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also, take into consideration is the place you buy it from. Not all dealers/bike shops provide the same level of post purchase customer service and/or possess the technical competency. Most, if not all, will charge for labor for a warranty issue. Some shops will charge a service fee for calling in a warranty issue if the bike was not purchased there.

If you wrench your own, it will not be an issue and can be an asset if the dealer/shop is dishonest/scammers. Oh yeah, every dealer will talk up how they are bro-brah with a specific bike company (usually hot air) and will be the fastest when comes to parts/warranty.

Also, note that certain companies do not deal directly with the customer regarding warranty issues. This can be a pain in the butt if your dealer is not in your area or their wrenches are completely useless. In addition, be aware that companies do go out of business or get reorganized, and thus, your warranty may go out the window (happened to me twice- IH & Kinely).

Have good experience with Spesh & Giant. Yeti is pretty responsive but you have to go thru a dealer (unfortunately, I learned about most of the warranty stuff with Yeti). Transition is probably hands down the best warranty out there (they deal directly with the customer and seem to want to get you riding again). Devinci is lifetime, might want to give them a look.

Good luck.

SS Pusher Man
    Again, look closely at the warranty periods.

Even some of the big bike companies have limited time warranty periods. For example, Trek and Specialized have 1-3 year warranties on swing arms and suspension components......you know, the parts that are most likely to break, where as the front triangles have 5 year or lifetime warranty.

That being said, the small bike companies that will deal direct with the consumer, even with very short warranty periods are more likely to hlep you out. Case in point: used to work for a Santa Cruz dealer....warranty on all frames was 2 years. Numerous times they would warranty a frame that was 4-5 years old.....without hassle.

So just because they state a specific warranty period....doesn't make them better or worse.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Go for the bike that suites you best, if that is a Trek or Specialized, so be it. If it's an Ibis or Santa Cruz, nothing wrong with that either. I wouldn't get too hung up on a lifetime frame warranty.
    I guess you're going to give the bike a good thrashing in 2 season so if anything's going to break it should in that time. My mentality for the last 5 years of riding has been "the main reason to buy new is for the warranty" since I'm not one who has to have the latest and greatest. I guess I'll have to take that into consideration when looking for my next bike and not rule out going used again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inuitbiker View Post
    Also, take into consideration is the place you buy it from. Not all dealers/bike shops provide the same level of post purchase customer service and/or possess the technical competency. Most, if not all, will charge for labor for a warranty issue. Some shops will charge a service fee for calling in a warranty issue if the bike was not purchased there.

If you wrench your own, it will not be an issue and can be an asset if the dealer/shop is dishonest/scammers. Oh yeah, every dealer will talk up how they are bro-brah with a specific bike company (usually hot air) and will be the fastest when comes to parts/warranty.

Also, note that certain companies do not deal directly with the customer regarding warranty issues. This can be a pain in the butt if your dealer is not in your area or their wrenches are completely useless. In addition, be aware that companies do go out of business or get reorganized, and thus, your warranty may go out the window (happened to me twice- IH & Kinely).

Have good experience with Spesh & Giant. Yeti is pretty responsive but you have to go thru a dealer (unfortunately, I learned about most of the warranty stuff with Yeti). Transition is probably hands down the best warranty out there (they deal directly with the customer and seem to want to get you riding again). Devinci is lifetime, might want to give them a look.

Good luck.
    Based on what I can get local I'd really be looking closely at Transition and Giant. I'm just not a huge spesh/trek fan for admittedly no good reason. Good insight on all of the bike shop behind the scenes stuff. I had no idea a dealer would/could charge to call in a warranty because you didn't buy the bike there. I do all my own wrenching so swapping parts wouldn't be an issue assuming they fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Again, look closely at the warranty periods.

Even some of the big bike companies have limited time warranty periods. For example, Trek and Specialized have 1-3 year warranties on swing arms and suspension components......you know, the parts that are most likely to break, where as the front triangles have 5 year or lifetime warranty.

That being said, the small bike companies that will deal direct with the consumer, even with very short warranty periods are more likely to hlep you out. Case in point: used to work for a Santa Cruz dealer....warranty on all frames was 2 years. Numerous times they would warranty a frame that was 4-5 years old.....without hassle.

So just because they state a specific warranty period....doesn't make them better or worse.
    Good heads-up on the frame components being under different warranties. I currently ride a Prophet and while I have tons of confidence in the main triangle, the swing arm/drop out area is what is in the back of my mind on drops/jumps. Also great point about working directly with the customer. I had an experience with Sram like that and while it got sorted out it was a lot more work than just calling Sram. Thanks

mtbr member
    I wouldn't let the warranty stop me from getting the bike I wanted... if everything else was equal, then yeah. I've never broken a frame in 20 yrs of mtbing [knocksonwood]. I've broken bones, and parts, but not frames.

I know a guy who is a buck-fitty soaking wet, and he broke 3 Trek carbon HTs on the chain stays, in the span of around 10 yrs. Trek replaced 2 but said sorry on the 3rd (outside of "intended usage"). Another guy broke 3 Anthem29ers, in a fairy short timeframe, and Giant gave him a Trance29...

Crash replacement option can end up being a good thing... Do the big MFRs offer a crash replacement discount??

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    I wouldn't let the warranty stop me from getting the bike I wanted
    This X100

Interplanetary Poultry
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    I guess you're going to give the bike a good thrashing in 2 season so if anything's going to break it should in that time. My mentality for the last 5 years of riding has been "the main reason to buy new is for the warranty" since I'm not one who has to have the latest and greatest. I guess I'll have to take that into consideration when looking for my next bike and not rule out going used again.
    Well, yes and no. Looking back over the last 20 yrs or so it's clear that this industry doesn't stand still. Buy a bike, ride it for 6 yrs or so and when it's worn our replace it. For all you know 6 years from now we'll be moving to internally geared hubs or transmissions instead of cassettes. We're already moving away from 9mm qr front wheels, 135mm rear hubs, threaded bottom brackets, non tapered headtubes. . .etc. What's next?
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight guys. It seems like the consensus is that a warranty isn't king when it comes to buying new. That's a good point about breaking frames. I've never broken one either, guess I spend too much time on MTBR clicking on the "broken frame" threads

I'm going to check out a Covert very soon, found a local shop that rents them out for legit demo's!