Merino Wool- first impression- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Merino Wool- first impression

Anyone ride with merino wool gear? I just bought Ibex woolies baselayer, long sleeve jersey, arm and knee warmers and I have got to say it is an absolute joy to ride in. I rode in to work on monday and it was 32F outside, and I was really worried I wasn't layered up enough for the temps. I had the wool baselayer, and LS synthetic jersey, and short sleeve synthetic jersey, the wool ls jersey, and my light nylon vest, with the arm and knee warmers, and wool socks and I have to say that I was quite comfortable. I actually had to unzip a couple of layers on occassion. And even when I was sweating a lot, I never got cold. They say that wool retains 80% of its insulating power even when soaking wet, and I guess it's true. There's on long DH on my way to work where I was cruzing around 30mph and even with that wind, it never chilled my sweat. Other times even with more clothes on I'd freeze on that DH, and have to slow way down to keep the wind down. My feet felt reall comfortable too... And after all that, that night I left my baselayer on the couch and my wife picked it up and smelled it to check if it was clean or dirty and had to ask if I wore it that day because it still smelled clean! My sythetic stuff smells funny even when it's clean, and a lot worse after I've worn it once on a ride. I'm digging wool, and now want to get some warm weather wool gear. It sure does cost though but worth every penny.

BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Adobo Lover
    I've read before that you need to wash your synthetic stuff differently to get rid of the odor. They recommended that the water be soapy to touch and allow it to soak for 30 minutes prior to starting the machine. Use warm water also. Apparently the ingredients in normal detergent can cause the fabric to not work as efficiently so they also recommend detergent that is "Free," like Cheer Free. It's probably all a scam but it works for me!!! All my baby's clothes are washed in it so we were use it for everything else also.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Congratulations, you have just discovered what sheep have known for millenia= WOOL ROCKS! Even if it's colored, and you aren't on a singlespeed!

Your bike is incorrigible
    I'm amazed at how few people want wool. I was trying to find a bike shop in Boulder, CO that carried wool jersies. Guess what, not a single one carried them! I'm afraid of ordering online, since I should take an XL but my torso is also extra long. I'm hard to fit, and I want to try on a jersey before I buy, especially if it's going to cost over $100. In the end, I'll probably just break down and buy a wool jersey online. I know their worth every penny.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I'm pretty tall, and have long arms and legs, and the Ibex XL jersey is plenty long enough for me. In street clothes, for long sleeve shirts, I normally have to buy XL-Tall and sometimes even for regular short sleeve shirts. We (the enlightened wool wearers) need to promote the goodness of wool to hopefull increase its popularity and in the end (hopefully) make the prices come down. I'm now looking to get wool clothing for everyday wear too...

I just found out that QBP lists Ibex short sleeve wool jerseys too, but are currenlty out of stock....

BM
    Last edited by Ultra Magnus; 02-15-2006 at 01:19 PM.
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

Members who have read this thread: 0