Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bikesexual
    Some people are more private than others, in this day an age, you kind of have to.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    I just figure that anyone who scores a kom rides a lot, and anyone who rides a lot probably has a nice bike.
    I brake for stinkbugs

One ring to mash them all
    Not Strava, but Facebook and Gumtree (a UK classified ads platform):

https://road.cc/content/news/213933-...th-%C2%A335000
    All Li es Matter

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Good idea. For the top 10 on a popular downhill trail I'd also like to know what kind of bikes they are on, how expensive they are, and how long they have been riding, maybe I should PM them...
    Don't; nobody wants that. And why would you care what people spent?
    Just go ride your own ride.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Seriously, stop with the bickering.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

banned
    Jul 2018
    That first sentence is a doozy.

"Strava hasn’t seen any verified cases of bicycle theft related to our platform. However, we encourage all of our members to be aware of what they share on all types of social media. Our platform has a suite of tools to help control what you share, including privacy zones, which will hide the start and end points of your activity if they fall within the zone."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilder BEAST View Post
    So, more or less, people are being forced into advertising data that is not based in fact on their social media (for fear of criminals), while all other media outlets are focused on public persecution of officials who have managed to conceal their own behavior through false advertising.

Isn't social media, for the most part, even worse than face to face interactions in as much as you can't tell when people are exaggerating the truth? I mean peoples posts aren't how they talk in real life. Most people can't lie, or exaggerate, like they do on social media in a face to face setting (except maybe a real sociopath)...too many giveaways. The people who are successful, tend to quickly fast track their way up the ladder But, when someone can take as long as they want to develop their thoughts, the average person can become anything they want to be on the internet. Now, imagine if we could just "fact check" everyone? The only way to do that is through a third party, but we are learning not to trust those checks and balances institutions anymore either. The third party would have to be some sort of Omnipotent machine, that can retroactively track all your "activities," without actually providing details for everyone to see. Maybe, that's the real "deep state," in all of this?

Anyway, I see the same types of alerts (coming from anonymous sources, ironically) about keeping your identity secret on other platforms. It seems to be the latest tactic to try and regulate peoples activities.
    Is there any unbiased information anywhere? I think not.
    To flip that around and relate it to sensory input and genetic imformation developed over millennia we now live in age where kids can identify over 800 corporate logos but only 2 native plant species local to their environment.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What the hell just happened.

Use the use the random dead zone around your house feature in Strava, refresh it every so often to make a new zone. Keep your bike indoors locked up...

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Not everyone lists what sort of bike they ride on strava. Some purposely hide that info so as to not be a target for theft.

Where do you find what bikes they have? I just see their KOM's, trophies, and segment times, nothing about what they ride. Would it be in some optional description?

By the way Black Mountain has some super fast riders!!!

mtbr member
    For the top 10 on a popular downhill trail I'd also like to know what kind of bikes they are on, how expensive they are, and how long they have been riding, maybe I should PM them...
    Someone has been PMing me similar questions and so far I've been answering all of them. Now he's asking me to send him pics of me in my spandex body suit. I'm not sure what I should do.

I'm Local
    I have been using Strava now since spring of 2013. A friend had introduced it to me as a training tool as I was returning to riding after being off the bike for about 7 months from a torn ACL and rotator cuff, both on the same side of the body. After only a month of riding I started cracking the top 10's. I had been a former CAT1 racer in DH, SuperD (now enduro) and XC and endurance XC. Little by little I kept bringing my times down with every ride trying to better myself than the last. It really did turn into the best training tool for me. At the same time being a former racer I was always looking for ways to shave seconds, while being cautious of other trail users of course. As time went on, and my times went down I had started documenting more and more about every particular ride. What bike I was riding (I have 5) what part spec I was riding, what conditions were like etc.. And I would also try to always take pictures of the bike and the trails so I had as much information attached to that ride as possible. That practice has been really cool because if you hold a KOM for a while and someone goes back to when you scored that KOM they can see what I was doing that day, what type of bike and conditions. All in all this app has helped me become a faster stronger rider than 10 years ago when I raced all the time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Where do you find what bikes they have? I just see their KOM's, trophies, and segment times, nothing about what they ride. Would it be in some optional description?

By the way Black Mountain has some super fast riders!!!
    On their profile page (if you log in using a computer browser) it is on the lower right side below the spot where your starts are compared to theirs. But the person has to put that info in. I have it on mine, but the names are nicknames, not what kind of bike they are. However one of the guys I follow has his listed like this:

Bikes
    Canfield Nimble 9 ss 3,732.5 mi
    Cyclocross ss 679.4 mi
    Fixed Gear 131.8 mi
    Stumpy 516.0 mi
    The Roper 990.2 m
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Too much bickering posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joocinykesu1 View Post
    too much bickering posts
    stfu!

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    stfu!
    No! You stfu..

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    I live in Marin so I don't use it anymore except on my commute. I always did like to change the setting to "Over 45 Over 200lbs" and I would climb the leader board pretty fast.

Here is my claim to fame though, I am the only one not on roids too. (allegedly)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maybe Strava Isn't So Bad After All-strava.jpg  

I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Sneaker man
    i also use stravini, I think it's called, when you looking at segments it will tell you(depending on settings) a delta to your PR you were (or behind 1st) and give you a % on where you sit in the leaderboard. Nice just to scroll down the list and see how you did at a quick glance. You dont have to go into the segment to see if you were 3 sec slower than last week or whatever.

edit stravini reorders the feed (so I get recent first instead of randomness) it was stravastix that gave the extra data.
    Last edited by mik_git; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:36 PM.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    no! You stfu..

Oh yeah! My dad can beat up your dad!

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    i also use stravini, I think it's called, when you looking at segments it will tell you(depending on settings) a delta to your PR you were (or behind 1st) and give you a % on where you sit in the leaderboard. Nice just to scroll down the list and see how you did at a quick glance. You dont have to go into the segment to see if you were 3 sec slower than last week or whatever.
    Does it play sad violin music when you fall down the leader board?
    All Li es Matter

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I live in Marin so I don't use it anymore except on my commute. I always did like to change the setting to "Over 45 Over 200lbs" and I would climb the leader board pretty fast.

Here is my claim to fame though, I am the only one not on roids too. (allegedly)
    I really am over 45 and over 200. I am a superstar amongst my old fat peers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm unabashedly a fan of Strava. Now that I've ridden most of my usual haunts a ton, I know which PRs are meaningful relative to the training I've been doing. So, if I've been trying to build 1-5min fitness, I will use Strava to measure the progress on some trail. Also, the compare feature is pretty amazing for competitive analysis before a real race. If you want to know if that person is going to go too hard and blow up (let them walk away), or if they will annihilate you on a descent (probably want to get in front of them before the course points downward), or, if they are just going to beat you (so be wary of sticking to their wheel).

I'll also admit, I do enjoy getting KOMs, but not enough to hunt them. I also tend to prefer full loops over just climbs or descents, but I think that has more to do with the fact that I can't really compete on either.

tire to rim ratio tester
    So a couple of weeks ago I go on this remote, really steep fire road, totally overgrown with weeds and neglected, no tire tracks at all on it, not to mention zero other riders in the area, have to push the bike up the mountain, get about 1/3 of the way up a 1200 ft mountain, go back down, load it into Strava...a lot of the usual top 10 guys are on this fire road too? It's like no matter where I go, no matter how remote, how BFE the location is, there are always the same 3-4 guys that have ridden the trail or fire road? I have to hand it to them, they ride anything, anywhere. KOM uphill was a whopping 4.5 mph on an 11% grade. Only 9 recordings. Climb category was a 3 but the first part was probably a 5, no way I could climb it on the bike for any length of time. Downhill was tricky avoiding those big runoff ruts.

mtbr member
    I once sought after every KOM available..... I had more than my share at one point. Then I realized I was missing the whole point of riding. Nothing wrong with pushing yourself and tracking your results. But I found myself addicted to smashing all of the time instead of enjoying the ride and my surroundings. Deleted the app and couldn’t be happier.

mtbr member
    Used as a training tool, its fantastic. Used as a penis measuring tool, its meh...

Bikesexual
    Lol!!
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post
    Used as a training tool, its fantastic. Used as a penis measuring tool, its meh...
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

tire to rim ratio tester
    Quote Originally Posted by roughster View Post

Yes, but for $2 a month, you can measure that size by height and ethnicity, so it makes it look better with those filters on lol.
    "A $1700 bike is not fit to be hucked from a curb"
    MTB B'Dos

mtbr member
    May 2014

geeking out on the data.

I ride +90% solo, leaving me little to gauge my ability, so I like geeking out on the data.
    Like others, I track my times across different bikes, fitness levels, and conditions. And for fun, I find out stuff like:

KOM's in my area are ridiculously out of reach, so no chance for me there.

Although I don't race, and do try to 'smell the flowers along the way', just knowing Strava is on induces me to push/work harder...

Strava does put me in a higher percentile (somewhat above average) going downhill, compared to my climbing (decidedly average).
    Hmmm. Can't tell if I'm soft, reckless or both.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12