Maybe someone will think about cyclists now Maybe not- Mtbr.com
    Unpredictable

Maybe someone will think about cyclists now Maybe not

Cross post from Rotorburn forums

Sadly another statistic where someone's next 5 seconds were more important than the reality for some poor (cyclist) person. (He was riding his bike say other reports)

I see people speeding through my street and worry about kids and pets. A fair number of people in a hurry are locals.

This driver was not speeding, but also by definition did not consider anyone other than Number 1. Welcome to the real world - you killed a child. Maybe your neighbour's child! Had you killed the child's parent, maybe it would not make people think quite as much, including reporters.

Your next 5 seconds are not more important than my life!

Report by Lauren Peden, Eastern Reporter Perth WA Australia
    Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a 10-year-old boy this morning.
    A 10-YEAR-OLD boy has been killed after being hit by a car at around 8.30 in Nollamara this morning.

Police say they believe the car was reversing out of a driveway in Ravenswood Drive when it clipped the child.

It is understood that the boy was pinned under the car and had to be freed by firefighters.

It is unclear whether the boy was walking or riding on a bicycle when he was hit.

“It's still just unfolding and the investigators are there at the moment,” police spokesman Gerry Cassidy told the Eastern Reporter

“He was either on the footpath or road and I believe a car was reversing out of the driveway.”

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Cross post from Rotorburn forums

Sadly another statistic where someone's next 5 seconds were more important than the reality for some poor (cyclist) person. (He was riding his bike say other reports)

I see people speeding through my street and worry about kids and pets. A fair number of people in a hurry are locals.

This driver was not speeding, but also by definition did not consider anyone other than Number 1. Welcome to the real world - you killed a child. Maybe your neighbour's child! Had you killed the child's parent, maybe it would not make people think quite as much, including reporters.

Your next 5 seconds are not more important than my life!

Report by Lauren Peden, Eastern Reporter Perth WA Australia
    Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a 10-year-old boy this morning.
    A 10-YEAR-OLD boy has been killed after being hit by a car at around 8.30 in Nollamara this morning.

Police say they believe the car was reversing out of a driveway in Ravenswood Drive when it clipped the child.

It is understood that the boy was pinned under the car and had to be freed by firefighters.

It is unclear whether the boy was walking or riding on a bicycle when he was hit.

“It's still just unfolding and the investigators are there at the moment,” police spokesman Gerry Cassidy told the Eastern Reporter

“He was either on the footpath or road and I believe a car was reversing out of the driveway.”
    Sad, but not really anything here that pertains to cycling specifically as yet, and also nothing to indicate that the driver was doing anything other than reversing out of a driveway and a child was hit. Nothing to show whether it was the driver's fault or just an extremely unfortunate occurrence. Your conclusions are a bit harsh I feel!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    A few years back I was at at Paper Mill (CHH) out side Roturua New Zealand, during our saftey training class they said the nuber of child deaths do to being ran over by cars was very high, so high he made a point to tell us.It was by cars backing out of drive ways. This was pertaining to fork lift trafic in the mill. I thought to my self, that is not a very comon ocurance in the states. Maybe I'm wrong, but I tend to check my mirors while backing out of my driveway as well as look behind my car before getting in. Either way the above story is very sad, and I feel bad for the family.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Racking up is always risky. Even with one's head turned, there are many blind spots. Combine that with the fact that children don't look before ther dart out, and accidents happen. Short of posting a flag an there is no sure fire way to avoid these kinds of things.

mtbr member
    Yeah, very unfortunate but likely an accident. There's been many times that I've been backing up and almost hit something that I couldn't see. Never a person, but it could have easily been one. My rule at home is, if I can't see both my kids, I don't move my car. I have to know they are in front of me when I back out of my drive. I also back out of everywhere with extreme caution. I see way to often people just slamming their car in reverse and ripping out of driveways or parking spots.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Sad, but not really anything here that pertains to cycling specifically as yet, and also nothing to indicate that the driver was doing anything other than reversing out of a driveway and a child was hit. Nothing to show whether it was the driver's fault or just an extremely unfortunate occurrence. Your conclusions are a bit harsh I feel!
    Other than the fact he was riding a bike (he was riding on the road according to other reports), I guess there is nothing specific to cycling.

Other than he was killed by a car, there's nothing unfortunate either.

Too harsh you say - wake up! It's no wonder drivers continue to treat cyclists with dismissive contempt when even cyclists don't see any issue with a car running over a child cyclist.

It's good to know that I will have your support when I drive my car through a group of cyclists, being as it would be just an unfortunate accident and all.....

High Desert MTBer
    Other than the fact he was riding a bike (he was riding on the road according to other reports), I guess there is nothing specific to cycling.

Too harsh you say - wake up! It's no wonder drivers continue to treat cyclists with dismissive contempt when even cyclists don't see any issue with a car running over a child cyclist.

It's good to know that I will have your support when I drive my car through a group of cyclists, being as it would be just an unfortunate accident and all.....

Wow! The post said that "It is unclear whether the boy was walking or riding on a bicycle when he was hit." So where in that does it say he was riding a bike?

I also said it was possibly a very unfortunate accident. This stuff happens all too often, but I at no time said I did not have an issue with this. Of course I would not support you or anyone who 'rode thru a a group of cyclists'! BUT, there might be an incidence where you or anyone else may have been blameless in such an accident, so until all facts are known I reserve judgement. Sometimes we are too quick to condemn... Lighten up would you?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

WOW, that's a little overboard don't you think. It went from us not sure if he was even on a bike to you saying it would be okay to mow down a group of cyclists.
    What a D!ck
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

since 4/10/2009
    This is a really sad case most likely an accident. Backing up out of the driveway is always dangerous and I know a couple people who were hit as kids because they weren't paying attention to the cars and they darted out behind them. Not much a driver can do if the kid is also being clueless. They can look more attentively but there will always be times no matter how much the driver tries where someone can be there and not be seen.

My wife came inches from backing into someone square on with her car not many weeks ago. It was dark and raining. The guy was walking in the street facing the wrong way and could not see her. Additionally, the guy had dark skin and was wearing dark clothing. A ninja pedestrian. He was not using the perfectly good sidewalk just a couple feet away. My wife never saw him and luckily avoided running him over despite looking for cars and pedestrians. Sure some blame can be placed on her because she did not look hard enough. But it was like he was TRYING to be invisible, so he certainly bore his own share of the blame for that. My wife cannot be faulted for his decisions, just as the driver in this case is not 100% to blame for running over the child.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I agree, I say we hang the driver! No trial! Cyclist 4 life.

Hmm, we need some sort of sarcasm tag or emoticon.

Just Ride
    How can you assume the driver was in a hurry? It is possible he just didn't see the boy. You don't have to be in a hurry to miss things like a small person walking/riding past behind you.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    WOW, that's a little overboard don't you think. It went from us not sure if he was even on a bike to you saying it would be okay to mow down a group of cyclists.
    What a D!ck
    So I said it is OK to mow cyclists down and I am a dick? Pleased to be a bigger dick than the driver and also to see how your priorities are placed. Seems odd to me that the moral conservatism of the USA does not extend past me being harsh and a dick. What if the driver had seen the kid and screamed the N word at him - would that have been outrageous enough for you to see past the words in my post?

I live in a country where drivers hate cyclists with a passion. Every week the helicopter TV traffic reports mention car and bike collisions and yet here people actually seem upset the driver didn't care enough to check the road for passing vehicles.

The boy was riding on the road and was killed in an avoidable incident, not an unfortunate accident. He was not sniffing around under the car and he was not a toddler unseen in the driveway. He was just a kid riding by and now he's a dead kid because someone thought the road was their own.

mtbr member
    So loud my wife can hear it from inside my Jeep when I'm backing up (I've been in the Oilfield too long)...I only changed the right rear backup light on my Jeep...WORTH every penny, as easy as changing a Tail Light:
    Hopkins Lights | etrailer.com

...we have a Back Up Camera on our Polaris RZR...Back Up Camera on our Freightliner Sportchassis and Surburban...

Had a friend that ran over his Two Year old while the Father In Law was flagging him out of the drive way, neither of them saw the baby under the front tire...

It happens and can happen to any of us, lost a boy many years ago, he choked to death in his play pen, I was in the next room...never heard him...wake everyday thinkin' bout that...but God did give me another fine Son and a Daughter this time, so God is Good...

I work in Nigeria so I see death regularly, and it still affects me the same...pray for their family and the ones that will never see them come home again...

Do all we can to avoid any incident we can, and it seems I still find where I came up short in my thinking...

mtbr member
    Unless you were there and witnessed it, how do you know exactly what happened? How do you know the driver was careless? It was avoidable? Hell, the article you posted doesn't even say whether the kid was on a bike or on the road or a path. You're making lots of assumptions just to make your point and all it does is make you look like an ass.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Unless you were there and witnessed it, how do you know exactly what happened? How do you know the driver was careless? It was avoidable? Hell, the article you posted doesn't even say whether the kid was on a bike or on the road or a path. You're making lots of assumptions just to make your point and all it does is make you look like an ass.
    or a troll

mtbr member
    He got me, he's a trolls d!ck
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Unpredictable
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Thanks for all the compliments mates. It's only the second time this month I've been a dick, an ass, a troll and a troll's dick in one day.

I posted a thread that was meant to show that drivers do not regard cyclists. It was a genuine post. I did add that other reports confirmed he was riding, not walking, but didn't post them, including the TV news versions. Sorry. Some responses make it clear that the cycling community has elements who are also prepared to disregard cyclists. Rationalizing how you conceive a motorist may not have the absolute obligation to make-safe all other road users, at all times, is not only against all driver training but disrespects your community. I don't personally give a rat's clacker what you think of me, but ridiculing the thread also disrespects MTBR forums and is not a good look.

High Desert MTBer

Thanks for all the compliments mates. It's only the second time this month I've been a dick, an ass, a troll and a troll's dick in one day.

I posted a thread that was meant to show that drivers do not regard cyclists. It was a genuine post. I did add that other reports confirmed he was riding, not walking, but didn't post them, including the TV news versions. Sorry. Some responses make it clear that the cycling community has elements who are also prepared to disregard cyclists. Rationalizing how you conceive a motorist may not have the absolute obligation to make-safe all other road users, at all times, is not only against all driver training but disrespects your community. I don't personally give a rat's clacker what you think of me, but ridiculing the thread also disrespects MTBR forums and is not a good look.
    Like I said, lighten up because you are really not doing yourself any favors. If you honestly think people here are careless of the cycling communitys' rights and needs, then perhaps you need to go elsewhere to get your ego stroked.
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Aug 2012

You should have posted them.
    Really !!

From my perspective of this thread, there is a lot of over-reacting, and it's all coming from you ... Sorry, but that's the way it reads.
    Also,
    No one seems to be ridiculing the thread's topic, but they are calling you out for over-reacting, and honestly, you seem to be attacking anyone who does not agree with your perspective.

The loss of life is always sad, as is not revealing all the facts of a story.

Question ... I don't know Australia, so is it really true that Australian's "hate" bicyclist's ?
    What causes you to believe this to be true ?

Oh,
    And the troll thing ... Worry not ... I was first called that by an MTBR Moderator