mtbr member

... maybe 27.5 isn't the best of both worlds that a lot of manufacturers are claiming

Grabbed from the Ibis forum an interesting video showing that 27.5 is the slowest wheel size. Kind of surprising (I would have bet that it made little difference between 27.5 and 26) but there you go!

"...maybe isn't the best of both worlds that a lot of manufacturers are claiming"

mtbr member
    Very interesting study done here.

Lone Wolf
    Talked about in another thread, lots of comments there....
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    Talked about in another thread
    Or six.

I'm about 99.99% sure I've seen this same ridiculous study in Passion, 29ers, probably 29 components, 27.5, at least twice in General, wheels, All mountain, and at least 2-3 of the bike manufacturers sub forums.

Always in the wrong gear
    Hell, I think I even saw it in Off Camber.

mtbr member
    The only one I recall seeing similar to this was the leg shaving advantage study.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Or maybe the sample size is so small that it's impossible to draw general conclusions from the "study"...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by iWiLRiDe View Post
    The only one I recall seeing similar to this was the leg shaving advantage study.
    You talking about this? Because this is the definitive leg shaving thread.

The Funk's undeniable Bible of Shaving...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Very cool study. This is the first time I've seen this......

.....posted today

It's about showing up.
    is too, is too!
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Has it been posted yet in the thread that wants a 26" dedicated Forum?

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

OP I can run down riders on 29er's and pass them with ease on my 650b.

I can do this on the fire roads and In the single tracks, going up hill and down hill.

As long as they are not stronger, or have more skills than me.
    I just can't seem to catch better riders.
    I guess I'm a fool and got sucked into 27.5's by a Sneaky marketing campaign.
    But I'll be fine as soon as the new better 32" wheel bikes replace the 29er's...

Just kidding, my bike is better than the other guys bike and everybody knows this. I am still Top Dawg :P
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    "...maybe isn't the best of both worlds that a lot of manufacturers are claiming"
    [/video]
    27.5 is not "exactly in between" 26 and 29" like a few companies have led us to believe.

It is 12mm bigger in diameter, and under an inch taller than a 26" wheeled bike with the same tire size.

Draw your own conclusions like I did, but aside from companies coming out with "new geometry" honestly gives them something new to talk about, it's not "the best of both worlds" unless you are short and never played well on a 29er.

I love my 26"er and my 29"er. The bigger wheels crush the bigger/choppier/looser terrain. You just can't have more fun on an xc trail with the bigger wheels too. The 26 loves the park and jumps.

Ride all three bike and decide. 27.5 demos were not enough of a difference for me to spend a few grand to replace what I already have and love. Some of my friends love theirs, but they were ready for a new bike and that was their choice after demo. Some went 29er route for the bigger wheels. Ride and decide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I cannot get over how this topic keeps going and going. Bike marketing guys must be in heaven, the discussion never stops and then after all of the re-tread poost topics, the personal accounts, the smart ass statements, then out come the posts explaining the differences ibetween the wheel sizes. I used to hate these threads, but have come to love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GSJ1973 View Post

It is 12mm bigger in diameter, and under an inch taller than a 26" wheeled bike with the same tire size.
    Your math seems a bit off. What's the difference between diameter and "taller"?
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Kind of wacky that some of the fastest riders in the world are riding the slowest bikes, maybe they're just showing off?

mtbr member
    27.5 is the fastest size out right now. It is the fastest way the manufacturers have of separating you of your money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsj1973 View Post

it is 12.5 mm bigger in diameter[no, radius!], and under (no, exactly) an inch taller than a 26" wheeled bike with the same tire size.
    fyp

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    it is 12.5 mm bigger in diameter[no, radius!], and under (no, exactly) an inch taller than a 26" wheeled bike with the same tire size..... fyp
    Yes radius not diameter, but technically he is correct about being under an inch. 25mm = .98 inches, 25.4mm equals exactly 1 inch, but really, close enough.

Rock and/or Roll
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Kind of wacky that some of the fastest riders in the world are riding the slowest bikes, maybe they're just showing off?
    Not wacky. Just proves that good riders ride well on bikes that fit them, regardless of wheel diameter. The whole recurring wheel size argument is pretty rediculous, actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    Yes radius not diameter, but technically he is correct about being under an inch. 25mm = .98 inches, 25.4mm equals exactly 1 inch, but really, close enough.
    I knew someone would say that.
    2 hundredths off?
    lets just call it an inch, ferchrissakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradym77 View Post
    27.5 is the fastest size out right now. It is the fastest way the manufacturers have of separating you of your money.

Seems as if the consumer may play a role in your scenario. All a manufacturer can do is produce a product and promote it.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    As the UCLAN dude says, there's no statistical difference here, ride what's most comfortable. There's nothing really scientific to say about this study.

Though at the risk of someone going all Johnny Storm on me, the results do help the case that 622mm rims are quite likely a this point the best cost/benefit proposition for the vast majority of bike riders on or off road.

I would still think that there's a minimum height for which this applies,, although that case was not particularly strengthened by this exercise (or particularly weakened -the shortest rider in the study was 5'5"). Likewise if you're over say 7 feet tall then even 700c might be smaller than optimal for most routes.

mtbr member
    I want a bike with three wheels, all in line, not a trike - 1 26", one 27.5" and 1 29". That would be the best of all three worlds.

Aside from whatever conclusions I might draw from this one study, I do take exception to the marketing hype of of something being the BEST of both worlds. It's just not true. 27.5 is going to lose some of the inherent stability and roll-over capability of the 29er, but be better than the 26er. The 27.5 will lose some of the quick handling and flickability of the 26er, but be better than the 29er in that regard. What you get is something in the middle, which might suit you nicely, but is not better in all regards. Plus, there are so many intangibles, that, as usual, it come down to this: ride what you like, that's all that matters. It's just a sport after all, not life and death.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    27.5 is the best and worst of both worlds. How could it be anything else?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I can't...
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

Don't Tread on Me
    The best thing about these types of studies is confirmation that free and unregulated market forces will always provide the best of choices. Evidence is that the current popular wheel sizes are each remarkably successful. The 26 inch wheel is successful. The 29 inch wheel is successful. I am sure the 650b will be successful. There is nothing wrong here. I love free market forces. I love choice. I love innovation. I don't need to "dis" your wheel size choice. The market will decide.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I knew someone would say that.
    2 hundredths off?
    lets just call it an inch, ferchrissakes.
    Ya, sorry, I couldn't help myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    27.5 is the best and worst of both worlds. How could it be anything else?
    Really now?
    27.5 is a compromise, it's not the best of any world.
    On a XC/enduro course the 29 is faster. On a technical decent the 26 is faster, plenty of independant tests online verify just that.
    27.5 isn't the best at anything, it's a compromise. I'd rather have a 26 or 29, I don't like compromises.
    As for fun, the majority of tests all conclude that the 26 is the most "fun" to ride. That much testing from different sources all can't be wrong.

Silence! I kill you!
    If bigger wheels + faster bike, I shall smoke all of you on this:

Name:  big wheeled bicycle.jpg
Views: 5504
Size:  46.2 KB
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SV11 View Post
    Really now?
    27.5 is a compromise, it's not the best of any world.
    On a XC/enduro course the 29 is faster. On a technical decent the 26 is faster, plenty of independant tests online verify just that.
    27.5 isn't the best at anything, it's a compromise. I'd rather have a 26 or 29, I don't like compromises.
    As for fun, the majority of tests all conclude that the 26 is the most "fun" to ride. That much testing from different sources all can't be wrong.
    I must admit that my only experience with 650b is with demos and I was always singularly impressed by how un-remarkably different the bikes felt in respect to a 26. This unlike 29, friend of mine has one and I have a lot of time on it, where the differences really show.

At the same time all the good comparisons I ever read, and by good I mean comparisons where people try to minimize the influence of unrelated factors as much as possible and compare bikes equipped with different wheels side by side, always showed the 26 to be (marginally) faster than 650b. Go figure why, with only 12mm in radius difference ...

Thankfully if so desired, either because the 26 are more nimble or stronger and lighter or apparently faster, for new buyers it is easy to convert a 650b to 26, unlike the other way around. Bunch of suggestions can be found here 27.5 - 650b to 26 conversion (!)- Mtbr.com and here http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/hd3-27-5...on-940482.html

the half breed devil
    blah blah blah blah monkey-nuts bleah.

i own both 29 and 27.5 and like them both a lot, for different reasons.

i think some lose sight of why most of us are in the mountain bike game.

F-U-N

banned
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

F-U-N
    What prompted you to reply to a thread that is over two and a half years old?

That’s funny.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post

F-U-N
    Part of the marketing team? lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brownpownow View Post
    What prompted you to reply to a thread that is over two and a half years old?

That’s funny.
    All the BS "moderating" on MTBR under new owners has driven users to replying to 3+ year old threads.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Co Springs
    shekky can be excused

because he speaks truTH
    Ain't no date code on that
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

Make America Bike Again
    None of the riders in the test had even rode a 27.5 before. Give me a break.

27.5 is by far the most versatile of all frames; you can put on 26 standard/voluminous tires, 26+ tires, 27.5 standard/voluminous tires, and with the right frame/fork, 29 standard tires or 27.5+ tires. You can more or less do it all on 27.5 frame. So if the 27.5 standard tires are the slowest, there are about 1/2 dozen different options above to change the tire/wheel size anyway.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    May 2014

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    None of the riders in the test had even rode a 27.5 before. Give me a break.

27.5 is by far the most versatile of all frames; you can put on 26 standard/voluminous tires, 26+ tires, 27.5 standard/voluminous tires, and with the right frame/fork, 29 standard tires or 27.5+ tires. You can more or less do it all on 27.5 frame. So if the 27.5 standard tires are the slowest, there are about 1/2 dozen different options above to change the tire/wheel size anyway.
    27.5” standard continues to die because of its lack of versatility and that it simply does not perform as well as 29ers on the trail or as well as a 26” at the park.

If you have a standard (non-plus) 27.5” your only real option is to run those tires. 26+ is not a realistic option as there is very little selection 26+ tires out there, 29er wheels won’t fit and most likely true plus tires (over 2.8” wide) will not fit either.

Going with a standard 27.5” means you get a slower bike with very limited versatility and now that we have had the chance to try the 27.5” wheel size most have caught on to the false hype from manufactures like Giant. (Whom are now adding agressive 29ers back into their line up.)

If you don’t believe me then the fact that 29er full suspension bikes doubled the sales of 27.5” full sus bikes over the last 12 months pretty much says it all.

“For example, sales figures for 29er full-suspension bikes and 27.5-inch full-suspension bikes have almost flip-flopped since last October. In October 2017, wholesalers shipped $10.1 million worth of 27.5-inch full-suspension models, and $5.3 million worth of 29er full-suspension bikes. This October, wholesalers sold $9.4 million in 29ers and $5.6 million in 27.5-inch bikes.”

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...h#.W_gk4qSIbYU

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    All I know is that when I commute on my 2008 Kona rigid winter bike with 1.8 26er studded tires, I ride with more steeze than any of my pimped out 29ers or 27.5s that I have owned. Manualling off curbs on that thing, even though it is a TANK, is effortless. Brake stands are a little trickier because of the smaller wheels but man, commuting on that thing is 1000000000x more fun than on my ultra light, ultra fast 3 season road bike. And...***gasp***...I fear it may be more fun than any of my current go-to bikes. Maybe not on a full on legit mountain trail, but I wonder...

I have been thinking about all of this, and am going to bring my 2007 Scott Ransom LTD. into my LBS and get it up and running so I have a 26er back in the quiver. Just because.

... maybe 27.5 isn't the best of both worlds that a lot of manufacturers are claiming-fullsizeoutput_20.jpg

Make America Bike Again
    27.5” standard continues to die because of its lack of versatility and that it simply does not perform as well as 29ers on the trail or as well as a 26” at the park.

You mean because it's 0.2% slower? lol

If you have a standard (non-plus) 27.5” your only real option is to run those tires. 26+ is not a realistic option as there is very little selection 26+ tires out there, 29er wheels won’t fit and most likely true plus tires (over 2.8” wide) will not fit either.

26+ tires are a realistic option, I have two of them, and they help a lot both with chunk rollover and rutted trails/fire roads. My 27.5 x 2.5 will get caught in ruts that the 26+ simply rolls right over. 27.5" bikes are for people that want the fun of a 26" in a modern package. Not all of us are about breaking some KOM by four seconds. Some of us actually ride for fun. Maybe that's a difficult concept to get around, and if so, sorry.

SteveF, XC racer on here:
    "29ers are huge around here but I never warmed up to them. My favorite part of trail riding is fast twisty stuff and I never liked how 29" wheels felt negotiating that sort of trail. I was happy riding shortish travel, 26" FS bikes and if 27.5" hadn't come along I would still be riding them. I do like the small but noticeable increase in roll over capability and stability that 27.5" offers though, and I have no plans to ride anything else. Even have 650b on most of my road bikes. The wheelsize just works on bikes my size. (16-17" mtbs, 52-54cm road bikes)"

Going with a standard 27.5” means you get a slower bike with very limited versatility and now that we have had the chance to try the 27.5” wheel size most have caught on to the false hype from manufactures like Giant. (Whom are now adding agressive 29ers back into their line up.)

False hype? Can you post the false hype from their advertisement?

If you don’t believe me then the fact that 29er full suspension bikes doubled the sales of 27.5” full sus bikes over the last 12 months pretty much says it all.

“For example, sales figures for 29er full-suspension bikes and 27.5-inch full-suspension bikes have almost flip-flopped since last October. In October 2017, wholesalers shipped $10.1 million worth of 27.5-inch full-suspension models, and $5.3 million worth of 29er full-suspension bikes. This October, wholesalers sold $9.4 million in 29ers and $5.6 million in 27.5-inch bikes.”

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/stud...h#.W_gk4qSIbYU

So the trend continues to move to 29" bikes. That's great. I'm happy for them. I'll continue to ride smaller bikes. I'm not trendy.

Barely in control
    Ahem, point of order. Making your bike more capable just makes the trails easier, so why not just ride your road bike if you want everything to be smooth and effortless? I think we have a ton of riders out there with performance inferiority syndrome who need to chill and enjoy the trails for what they are.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    [/B]

So the trend continues to move to 29" bikes. That's great. I'm happy for them. I'll continue to ride smaller bikes. I'm not trendy.
    Given that 29ers have been around since the beginning of this century and are still going strong and becoming even more popular shows that the 29er is a solidified standard for mtbs and in no way a “trend”. However, 27.5” wheel size on mtbs have only been around for a short time and have not proven themselves to get passed the “trendy” stage. This is why you are seeing less and less new 27.5” bikes. Manufactures don’t want to get stuck with a bunch of bikes that simply sold because of a new trendy wheel size. New only lasts so long and if new doesn’t prove itself to be better that what we already have then whatever that new thing is becomes a passing trend, exactly like 27.5” wheels.

But have fun jumping on whatever the new mtb trend is like 27.5” or ebikes. After all, new is usually exciting, especially when you have bought into the hype and believe what the seller tells you.

mtbr member
    going by overall diameter including tires, 27.5 can be the same size, or even smaller than, 26. It can be the same size, or even bigger than, 29. It can be somewhere in the middle too.

I have no idea what that guy is on about about versatility. Its the most versatile size, by a lot. run 2.1's if you want to mimick an old school 26er. Run plus if you want. Run 2.35's if you want. Narrow, wide, anything from 17mm to 50+mm, its all out there. Tires are available in compounds and sizes we never had before.

Theres this weird thing were people convince themselves that theres not many 27.5 bikes anymore. Theres more than ever, from every brand.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Going with a standard 27.5” means you get a slower bike with very limited versatility and now that we have had the chance to try the 27.5” wheel size most have caught on to the false hype from manufactures like Giant.
    Hmm. Wasn’t the world downhill championship and EWS just won on 27.5” bikes? If pros can compete and win vs 29” bikes I think they will perform just fine for the rest of us.

Bipolar roller
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    I have no idea what that guy is on about about versatility. Its the most versatile size, by a lot. run 2.1's if you want to mimick an old school 26er. Run plus if you want. Run 2.35's if you want.

Theres this weird thing were people convince themselves that theres not many 27.5 bikes anymore. Theres more than ever, from every brand.
    Hmm, what standard 27.5” frames are you talking about that can run 27.5”x 2.1 and a 29x2.35? I can’t think of one, but I can’t count the number of bikes that can fit 27.5+ and 29” wheels because there are so many out there.

I guess you could throw whatever size tire or wheel you want on any bike and call it versital, but it will probably ride like shit unless the geometry is designed to ride that size tire or close to it. Some might consider that versitlity, but you could the exact same on any 29er.

Since 26+ is not really a viable option and 27.5+ is, and 27.5+ doesn’t fit in standard 27.5” framess, but does fit in a 29er frame, then yes, 29ers are by far more versatile. Also, 29ers run the gambit from viable hardcore XC race bikes to hardcore DH bikes and everything in between. The same cannot be said for 27.5”. If dj/park is your thing, then your probably better off not riding either wheel size and sticking to the good ol 26”.

As far as people not thinking there are many 27.5” bikes out there anymore, I think that comes from the fact that almost all new bikes and all the new innovation is for the 29” wheel diameter, whether that be a true 29” or a 27.5+. There just isn’t anything really new or inovative for the 27.5” wheel size. Just take a look at the new bikes introduced on a mtb web site that actually has a significant amount of traffic like Pinkbike. Almost every new bike introduced on there is a 29er/27.5+ and if there is a new standard 27.5”, chances are it is a women’s specific design like the new canyon spectral wmn.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member
    Cheers for bumping this up, it's about time we thrashed out which wheel size is best once and for all, all over again.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Cheers for bumping this up, it's about time we thrashed out which wheel size is best once and for all, all over again.
    Agreed. Let's get er done. Once and for all. The battle to end all battles. A definitive outcome.

FWIW, from what I can see on the trail and at my LBS, it's all about 29ers in my neck of the woods. The only people buying 27.5s these days are very small in stature, who do not feel comfortable riding bigger wheels. The guys I know on 27.5s pretty much all want 29ers.

All that said, I suspect this may be a regional thing and that someone will point to data suggesting otherwise.

And like I said above, I personally am having a ball these days commuting on my 26er rigid, manualling the eff out of it...much to the chagrin of the $$$$$ 29ers sitting in my garage waiting for spring to get some ride time.

I had forgotten how easy (and fun) it is to manual a 26er, and how tough, relatively speaking, it is to do the same on the current generation of bikes (29er or 27.5) -- even those with the shortest of chain stays.

jcd's best friend
    [/B]

You are trendy. You ride an e-bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I had forgotten how easy (and fun) it is to manual a 26er, and how tough, relatively speaking, it is to do the same on the current generation of bikes (29er or 27.5) -- even those with the shortest of chain stays.
    Yep

That's why each time I try a 700 bike , I keep my credit card well hidden.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    May 2014
    False hype? Can you post the false hype from their advertisement?
    Here are two for you. In blue are Giant’s false hype about 27.5” and the charts in white show what the real calculation are. As you can see, Giant was sure throwing around a lot of false hype to get people to believe that the 27.5” is the best of both worlds.

... maybe 27.5 isn't the best of both worlds that a lot of manufacturers are claiming-311e0223-9deb-4a69-a483-21debcb85726.jpg

... maybe 27.5 isn't the best of both worlds that a lot of manufacturers are claiming-c8a5585b-69f7-49fb-937b-15f507fb4fa7.jpg

What’s really telling is that giant has completely removed this BS about 27.5” from their web site and are now adding more and more 29ers to their line up. They are even praising the “speed and control” of the 29” wheel now. Even more telling is when you go into the giant forum on this site, several of the most recent threads have been about Giant finally making 29ers again or when will a long travel full sus 29er from Giant come out.

And here is another thread talking again about giants false hype about 27.5” https://forums.mtbr.com/giant/giant-...ry-876176.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I own at least one bike of the 3 sizes. I prefer 27.5. Maybe I do give up a little on some terrain from riding my 29er, but the fact remains and the reason I ride is for fun and fitness, the 27.5ers, are better for that imo.

As far as the sales numbers are concerned, it's just the marketing hype that surround 29ers, the hype that many on this site scoff at.
    Don't get me wrong, I do like my 29ers, but prefer my 27.5ers much more. My 26ers are pretty much dead to me.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    27.5” has peaked and is now going to go the same path as the 26”.

Maybe it’s more of a regional thing now, but there are definitely places where you are going to have a hard time finding a 27.5” and that will quickly spread to all regions in a couple of years.

“Another retailer largely quit stocking 27.5-inch mountain bikes in favor of 29ers, which he said better suit his rocky Northeastern terrain. Ninety-eight percent of our bike sales are 29.”

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...r#.W_rUdSSIahB

Even Mr. “I think that 27.5” is going to be the end all wheel size” Adam Craig is now developing the future 29ers that will be replacing the standard 27.5” in Giant’s line up.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/eliot-...trance-29.html
    keepoaklandfresh

I'm gonna put on an iron shirt and ride my bike all over this eart'

Barely in control
    Here are two for you. In blue are Giant’s false hype about 27.5” and the charts in white show what the real calculation are.
    Giant is well known for blatantly lying in their adverts also in their aero road bike claims and road bike weight claims.

Anyone with a brain can look at that first figure and see that the differences in contact patch area are bs. Contact patches are identical in size for a given psi; its basic physics. They do differ in shape.

NedwannaB
    $hyte! I wish I would’ve seen this thread earlier I just got a new 27.5 “relic” it seems! Oh well it can run reg and + tyres too so I guess I’m covered til the next best wheelsize comes along....
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I feel like manufacturers should have just gone 29 and kept building 26in bikes as well.

29s are better for a lot of things but for freeriding, street and generally dicking around in the woods smaller wheels seem better. My next bike is going to be a small wheel hardtail cause I want something that is fun on pump tracks, dirt jumps and generally dicking around more then raw speed. I am pretty sure I am going 27.5 cause everyone has stopped making 26 frames and there seem to be fewer and fewer 26in tire choices.
    Niner WFO9, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 6KU single speed (town/workout bike)

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    In reality.. if your income (read: winning races) doesn't depend on getting the last 0.00001% of performance. Who really cares? Use whatever fits you, pleases your eyes and makes you happy and have fun.

26, 27.5, 29... some years on the future we'll have the same discussion with 34" or 35" wheels and so on.

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    I feel like manufacturers should have just gone 29 and kept building 26in bikes as well.

29s are better for a lot of things but for freeriding, street and generally dicking around in the woods smaller wheels seem better. My next bike is going to be a small wheel hardtail cause I want something that is fun on pump tracks, dirt jumps and generally dicking around more then raw speed. I am pretty sure I am going 27.5 cause everyone has stopped making 26 frames and there seem to be fewer and fewer 26in tire choices.
    Kinda. When 27.5 came out, technology was going to wide tubeless rims, through axles, and increased frame clearance. That made leaving 26 behind a lot easier for me because if you're going to change your wheels and frame to accommodate these things then a minor wheel size change was nothing, just a few obsolete tires.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post

You can still get plenty of new 26" bikes and frames, if of course you don't mind buying Chinese; some decent below:

BEIOU 3K Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Frame 26-Inch Glossy Unibody External Cable Routing T700 Ultralight MTB B005X $359

BEIOU Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Hardtail MTB 10.65 kg Shimano M610 DEORE 30 Speed Ultralight Frame RT 26-Inch Professional Internal Cable Routing Toray T800 Carbon Hubs Matte $1199

Many others but most are cheaper.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres, quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Back when 29ers first started the die hard 26er crowd blasted them and just really wanted them to fail.
    27.5 came along later and the die hard 29er fanboys just really want them to fail too.

If manufacturers go back to 26er's then what? The 27.5er's will want them to fail.

Just ride your bike. They are all fun.

Can't understand why people are so passionate about pointless shit like tire sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You can still get plenty of new 26" bikes and frames, if of course you don't mind buying Chinese; some decent below:

BEIOU 3K Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Frame 26-Inch Glossy Unibody External Cable Routing T700 Ultralight MTB B005X $359

BEIOU Carbon Fiber Mountain Bike Hardtail MTB 10.65 kg Shimano M610 DEORE 30 Speed Ultralight Frame RT 26-Inch Professional Internal Cable Routing Toray T800 Carbon Hubs Matte $1199

Many others but most are cheaper.
    I mean I wouldn't say no to Chinese made but hell no to XC geometry and/or carbon fiber.
    Niner WFO9, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 6KU single speed (town/workout bike)

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm Dave View Post
    Back when 29ers first started the die hard 26er crowd blasted them and just really wanted them to fail.
    27.5 came along later and the die hard 29er fanboys just really want them to fail too.

If manufacturers go back to 26er's then what? The 27.5er's will want them to fail.

Just ride your bike. They are all fun.

Can't understand why people are so passionate about pointless shit like tire sizes.
    I can’t understand why people are so passionate about people being so passionate in this forum, about pointless shit like tire sizes. Or anything else for that matter. Isn’t that part of the point of this forum? For dudes like us to have a place to discuss and debate shit that we can’t discuss with our significant others? Shit that only makes sense to us? The ultra enthusiasts in the crowd? As for passion, the more the better as far as I am concerned. It’s what makes these posts a great read at my end.

As for wheel size, as I said elsewhere, 27.5 is almost dead to me. I may try 27.5+ next on my Honzo, but 27.5...I probably won't buy another. In this lifetime or the next. Well...except for my daughter.

It's an accurate statement to say that most of the guys I know riding 27.5s right now, are lusting after a 29er. In my area, it seems that 27.5s are on a hard decline (except for physically smaller riders), and (unrelated to the wheel size debate) that hardtails are enjoying a renaissance of sorts.

Having a nice day!
    Meh...probably like a lot of folks here, I have both a 29er and a 27.5 and I get lots of grins out of both. The biggest limitation to either is me and how I'm feeling on any given day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Kinda. When 27.5 came out, technology was going to wide tubeless rims, through axles, and increased frame clearance. That made leaving 26 behind a lot easier for me because if you're going to change your wheels and frame to accommodate these things then a minor wheel size change was nothing, just a few obsolete tires.
    This is a good perspective that I hadn't considered. I agree that with all of the wholescale changes taking place in bikes at the time, that a change in wheel size was just part and parcel of all the other changes.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Until the past couple of years there were no 29ers that I was interested in. Now there are at least as many as 27.5s that I like.