Thread: Mark Weir

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Mark Weir

Jeez! The guy survived a Widow Maker @ 45.

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...-heart-attack/

Pay attention to your body, folks. He ignored symptoms for six weeks. It goes without saying that he's lucky to be alive.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Not very surprising. Working in the medical field as long as I have I've seen these several times. Widow maker isn't a joke and most don't survive one. Men are very stubborn about their health and won't do anything about it till towards the end. A lucky man indeed.
    Will swerve for leaves.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Jeez! The guy survived a Widow Maker @ 45
    I saw this in my FB feed and thought it was an older post at first since he had an incident with a tree a couple years ago aswell! 😬 Glad they were able to diagnose and catch it in time!👍😎
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    So eating lots of meat, drinking untill 2AM then riding all day is bad? Damn you cruel world!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    So eating lots of meat, drinking untill 2AM then riding all day is bad? Damn you cruel world!
    Yep, most of us ride all the time but eat like fat dudes.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Ok. I guess we can excuse him from riding an ebike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I think I could make an exception.
    Why Johnny Ringo, you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Make America Bike Again
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post

I eat red meat every single day, 1-2 lbs a day for almost 20 years. No heart disease, blood pressure normal, C-reactive protein inflammation level is zero.

That doesn't mean everyone in the world should eat red meat. It's not for everyone. It's for certain biochemical types and not others. If someone has a family history of heart disease, then chicken, turkey, tuna fish, etc. is probably better for them.

Drinking alcohol is even more complicated. Some heavy drinkers are actually helped by this, because the reduced stress levels can prevent a heart attack. Others die early from a multitude of different causes: cancer, accidents, violence, suicide, and yes, sometimes heart disease. It's really hard to know what an individual's limit is for drinks per day. Dozens of environmental and genetic factors that go into determining whether having several drinks a day is beneficial, neutral, or bad. Getting enough sleep may be more important than both of the 'bad' things above.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I eat red meat every single day, 1-2 lbs a day for almost 20 years. No heart disease, blood pressure normal, C-reactive protein inflammation level is zero.

That doesn't mean everyone in the world should eat red meat. It's not for everyone. It's for certain biochemical types and not others. If someone has a family history of heart disease, then chicken, turkey, tuna fish, etc. is probably better for them.

Drinking alcohol is even more complicated. Some heavy drinkers are actually helped by this, because the reduced stress levels can prevent a heart attack. Others die early from a multitude of different causes: cancer, accidents, violence, suicide, and yes, sometimes heart disease. It's really hard to know what an individual's limit is for drinks per day. Dozens of environmental and genetic factors that go into determining whether having several drinks a day is beneficial, neutral, or bad. Getting enough sleep may be more important than both of the 'bad' things above.
    I was being facetious and have a tremendous amount of respect for Mark Weir. I think he touched on the culprits pretty well between genetics and torching all those calories as a professional athlete.

One thing not on the forfront (just yet) of the lifestyle/genetic/medical puzzle is oxidative damage. Running your heart rate through the roof on the regular over a career of 30 years is most likely not healthy, at all. It may seem counterintuitive and not reflect what an athlete looks like on the outside but there is no overcoming the metabolic process in this context.

"Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger."
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtb'er
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    I've heard through the grapevine he has several ebikes and is a big fan... but maybe that's what you were alluding to.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    I've heard through the grapevine he has several ebikes and is a big fan... but maybe that's what you were alluding to.
    It's in the article. I noticed it quickly and expected it would get some air time.

“I’m eating clean, lots of vegetables and good fats, like I used to when I raced,” he said. “Being able to ride the e-bike has saved me, because of the ability to control how much load you’re putting on yourself. We’re all such sufferfaces—and I love to suffer—but exercise doesn’t have to hurt to have a good time.”

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Why do you guys call it the widow maker?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    No clue, you'd have to find a cardiologist and ask them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Because that specific blockage doesn't present as many symptoms then kills you FAST.....then there is generally a widow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    You mean he's paid by a company that makes e-bikes to talk highly about their products? This world is getting stranger by the minute.
    Hubbard Bike Club

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    And just like that, Mark Weir became the future highest paid voice of the eBike industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I eat red meat every single day, 1-2 lbs a day for almost 20 years.

Dang, that's like 8 quarter pounders a day! 50,000 or so over 20 years, impressive!

I'm with you about the alcohol too, I'm always telling my wife that my heavy drinking is actually good for my health and our marriage
    I brake for stinkbugs