Marine/Boating grease bad on rubber seals, or OK?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Marine/Boating grease bad on rubber seals, or OK?

I've searched the net all over trying to find out if Castrol boating grease (blue) is ok on rubber/nitrile seals. I've read conflicting things on using lithium on seals, and this grease has lithium in it apparently (even though it'd not the typical white grease).

I want to use it to re-grease my SPD pedals (xtr 980) but have already had one set crap themselves, don't wantit to happen again just because I used the wrong grease. Park says 'polylube 1000', another site said teflon lube (but most of those I've looked at have heaps of lithium in anyway).

Will it stuff the seal?

Chamois Dropper
    I cannot see how a good marine grease would have any ill effects on seals. I was a boat mechanic for almost 20 years and have never had any issues like that. I will say that I was using Mercury's high end teflon grease ( the best in the industry IMO) on my bike, things like suspension pivots, headsets, etc and I found that is would get very runny in really hot weather. Switched to Phil Wood's grease and have been really happy.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

Bro Mountainbiker
    I would use it without sweating it.

You could always pick up some bike specific grease for peace of mind.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Pale Rider
    You'll be fine using it. The grease will not harm the seals.
    With my goldfish shorts swimming around my toes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks all. I just did one with the marine grease. Only downside is the seal wants to keep popping out. I put a bit too much into the pedal body like I thought you should, expecting the excess to purge. It did, but the seal came with it. Took a bit of tinkering. Maybe don't plan on purging any grease if using this thicker stuff, it doesnt seem to be able to easily burp past the seal.

I'm SUCH a square....
    That's why it's called a "seal", dude, it seals good stuff IN and bad stuff OUT. Truth, though, the easiest thing in the world is to overdo the grease. I see it from factories on bikes, just GLOBS of it on parts that take a whisper of it. Done it myself, from time to time, and just wind up wiping the excess.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    When I looked at the park website and an article by bike radar they said to quarter fill the body with grease after slopping it all over the spindle. The theory is that any old grease inside is purged out as they body is screwed back on. They used teflon grease though, so guess if it is thinner the seal burps earlier instead of having the pressure build up before blasting out the seal. Will be easier once I've done it a few times.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Marine grease applications are somewhat similar to those of a fork seal (always wet, varying temps, etc) so I would see no issues with using it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i use car bearing grease for everything on my bike. never had a problem.

Members who have read this thread: 0