Mapping program- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mapping program

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Mapping program

Is there mapping software that allows you to use Google maps to chart a course? I'd like to plan a route and want to check mileage, elevation, etc. Thanks.

mtbr member
    If you have an iPhone you should check out run tracker pro or Nike+ GPS. Both will do what you want. Not sure what is available on just the computer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There dozens. Search the forums and you'll come across tons of threads like this one: http://forums.mtbr.com/gps-hrm-bike-...es-629692.html

Frt Range, CO
    mapmyride.com does just what you want, works with the same database as google earth does.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks, but I guess I wasn't clear. I know Strava, MapMyRide, etc. Those are for tracking rides. What I'm looking for is planning a route pre-ride. I'd like to draw (or click/drag) a route following certain trails, and then be able to estimate the distance.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by moldau94 View Post
    ...What I'm looking for is planning a route pre-ride. I'd like to draw (or click/drag) a route following certain trails, and then be able to estimate the distance.
    That's what I use mapmyride for. I've entered routes anywhere in the world (no roads needed) and it gives distance, elevation changes etc. Entered routes can be downloaded into GPS devices to give directions in real time. I've imported maymyride routes into google earth, all the map programs use the same database.

Afric Pepperbird
    ridewithgps is head and shoulders above mapmyride!

(GPS not necessary)

since 4/10/2009
    I prefer standalone programs over web utilities for this sort of thing.

I have a couple different ones. The first one I had was National Geographic Topo! Backroads Explorer. NG Topo! has become something else because Topo! was crippled with old GPS usage models. But the topo maps are still out there in a different form, which i haven't used. They print really well and so it's good to make use of them when going somewhere new and remote in case your GPS dies and you need to find your way out old-school.

These days, I've migrated most of my planning to Topofusion. It's built with mountain bikers' usage models in mind by a forum member here (Krein) and it's a great software package. It has a lot of map options available, with the capability to add more (though in current form, that requires a bit of technical know-how).

Members who have read this thread: 0