Mammoth vs Big Bear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Mammoth vs Big Bear

i just returned from mammoth where i was able to get in on the last day of the season. it was my first time on groomed trails in a mtb park and i'm totally hooked. i especially liked the long downhill runs i could link together on the blues and sections of uncomfortable speeds on the diamonds.

sadly, mammoth is too far to go to on a regular basis from LA so i wonder if big bear has something similar in the way of maintained trails and long runs down. has anyone been to both? comparisons?

BM and PQ Trail Rep
    It is kind of like comparing a traveling carnival(Big Bear) to Disneyland(Mammoth).

At the carnival, it is a bit of a mixed bag that is not always consistent. You might get what you are looking for but then again, you just never know. Lots of mystery. That can be a good thing sometimes. Besides, it is much closer for you.

Disney works very hard at keeping a consistent level of entertainment. The rides are "as advertised". You can expect a completely cared for park that is kept in good running order.

Thing with Big Bear is the trails that are around the lifts are not serviced by Snow Summit. Some are forest service roads and trails, others are trails created by riders. Either way, you lift ticket does not guarantee a maintained trail. There are lots of options if you know the right people. You cannot ride on the Snow Summit ski trails and there are (supposedly) bike limitations.

So, if you want to save some money and drive time, go to Big Bear. With some exploration and knowledge, there is more than enough to keep you happy, but it is not easily obtained. Also lots of XC stuff if you are so inclined

Mammoth's trails are maintained by the ski resort. The money comes from the lift tickets. Most of the trails are within the ski resort's boundaries. There are trail maps and clear explanations of the trails. Since you just got back, I think you know exactly what I am talking about.
    The world does not revolve around you but your actions impact us all!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    exactly what i was looking for. thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Agree with what was said above but will continue to visit Big Bear as parr of a yearly trip due to proximity. They are both completely different experiences.

SS Pusher Man
    Mammoth welcomes mountain bikers......Big Bear really does not want us there.....but tolerates us.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono: