Macho culture in MTB? Is this the right term?- Mtbr.com
    Not a role model

Macho culture in MTB? Is this the right term?

What's this macho culture on MTB discussion forums? Examples:

Someone asking for opinions on 10-50 12spd cassettes. "Macho" replies: "you don't need a 50t cog, that's weak!" "I've been on 42t and I've never wanted more" "I've been on 36t" "people have been singlespeeding up that kind of stuff!"

Someone asks for opinions on a 120+mm FS bike. "Macho" replies: "I recommend this 100mm option, since it can do the same thing yet be better in case you want to race XC." "120mm is just XC with baggy clothes, get a real man's bike." "I pass people riding on these bikes with my 100mm HT at half the cost of that."

Someone asks for protective gear opinions. "Macho" replies: "I don't know how people and ride in all that stuff, do they not ride hard enough to sweat? It probably stinks" "I bought knee pads but I noticed that I never landed on them in a fall, which are rare. I've recently gone without them, and am happier." "I've seen some noobs that looked like a clown or storm trooper, ride off 1-2' drops. What a joke!"

Someone asks for upgrade opinions in general, examining weight and price, but curious about strength and reliability. "Macho" replies, "<ignores question about str and reliability> dude, spend that on your wheels, where you get actual performance, or just get more fit. Saving some weight there is like the equivalent of not eating some cookies." "<ignores everything and just blurts opinion> Looks flexy."

Someone brings up emtb... oh no...

I don't know what term really fits better than "macho" to describe that. There's the stuff on the opposite spectrum too, like people encouraging things in the other direction, manipulators who talk others into guinea pigging some new products based on some hack understanding of the marketing, that seems no less stupid. I wanted say they're conservative and progressive viewpoints, but that seems way too oversimplified (more open to argument), not to mentions opens another can of worms due to being political connotations.

Not implying it's unwelcome. I suppose I want to understand what I dislike about it. Seems to be jumping to conclusions to just say it's toxic or repulsive, as it could just be my personal reaction to such. From a neutral academic viewpoint, what is it?

- Prejudice?
    - Bias?
    - Ignorance?
    - Simplicity (lack of depth)?
    - Insecurity?
    - Boredom (keeping up some running joke/tradition)?
    - Insensitivity?

Is there a certain personality type that does this? Something like a Machiavellian type?

Is it bullying? Pressuring people to conform to some unwritten standard (something deserving of manly pride)?

No known cure
    It's a generational thing. Us smart asses who raced DH on rigid bikes with 50T chain rings answering questions asked by the flow crowd.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Its called "being men".

WillWorkForTrail
    Competitive spirit. Oneupsmanship. Being a dick. Whatever. I like my single speed and my eagle bike. Ride what you like.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Awesome strap- the medium temperature porridge in a bears cave. Just right.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Honestly, this forum is the worst about this. I don't see this level of insecurity nearly as much in real life or other online forums like reddit and pinkbike.

Cycologist
    You should see the guys on the badminton site.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Hitching a ride
    Ah, you've never hung out with roadies.

Wussy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    that's why I'm not on there any more. They are way too hard core. I switched over to the ping pong site.

Seriously, it is like that on many forums from bikes to running to cars and trucks. Eventually you will see a trend by what and how you ask the questions. Then you will see similar responses, generally by the same people. Those people will go and find posts just to leave a comment about how more bad ass they are than the rest of us. And typically do not answer the question anyways.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Up In Smoke
    Sometimes I forget how easily people are offended. But it’s a good reminder that I don’t have to try so hard. Call it “tough love”

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    that's why I'm not on there any more. They are way too hard core. I switched over to the ping pong site.

Seriously, it is like that on many forums from bikes to running to cars and trucks. Eventually you will see a trend by what and how you ask the questions. Then you will see similar responses, generally by the same people. Those people will go and find posts just to leave a comment about how more bad ass they are than the rest of us. And typically do not answer the question anyways.
    Hmm, connecting this to Vader's post, is this like validation? Newly hooked folks are typically after near-instant-gratification. No patience or willpower to do things the hard way, especially when they know an easier way exists. Old folks would be like, back in my day, we did it the hard way because we had no such resources. I suppose since I can't imagine, people would want me to feel it first hand?

Was hoping this was partly because there was some resistance against the industry marketing, because I can get along with that.

I blame marketing being too good. I don't want to be caught up in the whole incremental improvement trap, where the new iPhone or Lyrik is 5-15% better in some way, but the ad sticks in my memory and it gets repeatedly refreshed all over, cause I'm connected to the places where I go to learn more about related stuff. Sad when there's some feature purposefully omitted that you wish might make it to the next reiteration (or pay for a modification). I'm spoiled, and when I know better is out there I will feel compelled to get ahead of the curve and spend, justifying my purchase on curiosity.

Wish there were some more competitively priced lease or rental model going on, honestly. It'd be absolutely great if things were priced at 1-3% of something's value, for a 1 week rental, depending on how new it was, and how much maintenance and storage space it required. Dunno why everyone's expected to commit to huge financial purchases without knowing much about it, to the point people are asking strangers for advice. Plenty of other topics to discuss...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    Competitive spirit. Oneupsmanship. Being a dick. Whatever. I like my single speed and my eagle bike. Ride what you like.
    Lol
    You nailed it and then you threw in a macho brag at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Read my signature....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post

Was hoping this was partly because there was some resistance against the industry marketing, because I can get along with that.
    I get the impression you are looking for a grand answer and I think it depends on the individual. Some will be doing it for the bravado and to flex. Others just dislike marketing and think it's ridiculous to buy a 63 HTA bike with 160mm for green singletrack just because that's what the bros on the bike manufacturer video ride. I am sure there is some of both.....

slow
    Sometimes I see this sort of a response from an experienced rider who is refuting a post in which another newer rider makes a sweeping generalization or absolute claim such as "that can't be ridden without a certain piece of equipment / gearing / travel / style / brand etc."

mtbr member
    As far as I'm concerned everybody on this site is a giant pu**y. Grow some testicles ninjichoir
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    The other thing I'll add is that cycling seems to be inherently more "macho" than other sports I've been involved in. Even many women in the sport talk about "suffering" and testing your limits, and being hardcore. I've played basketball, baseball and raced motocross. Even in MX, there is not this suffering worship that I've seen in cycling - most people do MX to have fun, don't worship epic 6 hour rides, and don't create mental blocks about being able to ride certain terrain because their bikes don't have certain geometries, components, etc. Don't get me wrong, I have a blast mountain biking but a lot of the culture, I just won't buy into.

Not a role model
    There's a lot of excuses in this sport. For example, I'm unsure about growing testicles because that would make sitting down less comfortable, and potentially painful.

There's reason for the mental blocks:
    - penalty for failure, including the self-consciousness kind (embarrassment)*, on top of the pain/injury
    - estimation of physical fitness and skill required is beyond what I currently have
    - fear of the unknown, perhaps not knowing anything about it makes me want to play it safe
    - trauma from past follies, not only the ones you experienced personally, but also those from others

If I have a clear goal that I'm aiming for, I will target the excuses. I don't have a clear goal with MTB, because it's a hobby. It's just something I sink my free time and money into. Fitness is the next to last thing I do biking for, next to financial benefit, where fun is the first. I find fun in nerding out. Maybe these reasons for riding are reversed for some people; people wanting sponsorships or youtube fame and fast times that they pain-stakingly earned.

* there's some saying that immature folk go around worried about what others think of them, less mature/rebel folk go around not caring what others think about them, and mature folk realize no one thinks much about them

mtbr member
    Man. This is a totally wimped out sissy whiner thread. HTFU.
    Do the math.

Professional Crastinator
    There's a lot of excuses in this sport. For example, I'm unsure about growing testicles because that would make sitting down less comfortable, and potentially painful.

There's reason for the mental blocks:
    - penalty for failure, including the self-consciousness kind (embarrassment)*, on top of the pain/injury
    - estimation of physical fitness and skill required is beyond what I currently have
    - fear of the unknown, perhaps not knowing anything about it makes me want to play it safe
    - trauma from past follies, not only the ones you experienced personally, but also those from others

If I have a clear goal that I'm aiming for, I will target the excuses. I don't have a clear goal with MTB, because it's a hobby. It's just something I sink my free time and money into. Fitness is the next to last thing I do biking for, next to financial benefit, where fun is the first. I find fun in nerding out. Maybe these reasons for riding are reversed for some people; people wanting sponsorships or youtube fame and fast times that they pain-stakingly earned.

* there's some saying that immature folk go around worried about what others think of them, less mature/rebel folk go around not caring what others think about them, and mature folk realize no one thinks much about them
    Since everyone approaches the sport (or any sport) differently, chances are that the person will have some pre-conceived notion about how the sport should be enjoyed/conducted.

If all they can imagine is riding peacefully through a forest setting, that is what they will do and they will be completely satisfied with their level and type of participation.

Obviously, there are other people who participate at another level completely, whether self-motivated (like a lot of the veterans who may have thought they were the only guy out riding a bike in the woods), or those driven by marketing hype to shred the gnarliest gnar so they can post pix on Pinkbike. Most of them are cool about it, while others simply can't put themselves in another person's shoes and just generally lack any understanding.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

3 on the tree
    OP, the elusive term you are searching for is "douchebaggery." Separate the wheat from the chaff.
    Smog builds character.

mtbr member
    Ninja...I appreciate your contemplative style. However, on these here forums my best advice is to not overthink these things.

Learn to let it go and realize that most of us, in person, wouldn't be as harsh. But, you could certainly expect some good ball-busting, or what have you. It's part of the camaraderie.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I don't see it as s macho "culture" per se but people form groups and one must navigate if they belong or not. This can have real world consequences to the individual or group. Generally speaking, in the real world, I find most adventure athletes very VERY humble, especially rock climbers and mountaineers. You can either do it or you can't and this simple fact is very black and white to all in the group. Someone that can't but claims they can puts not only themselves but the group in very serious jeopardy. To a lesser extent this also applies to mountain biking...see the Moab thread. I understand how one can interpret this navigation as "macho" but I don't see that as a word that exactly fits. Of course most "macho" people in this context are simply and obviously overcompensating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Ninja...I appreciate your contemplative style. However, on these here forums my best advice is to not overthink these things.

Learn to let it go and realize that most of us, in person, wouldn't be as harsh. But, you could certainly expect some good ball-busting, or what have you. It's part of the camaraderie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    That, to me, seems more like a curmudgeon/minimalist aspect of the sport with people not feeling like you need things.

I think, more interesting to me, is the "macho" aspect of "bro" culture within MTB. At one time, MTB was a pretty crunchy sport in my experience. A lot of people who were backpackers, naturalists, climbers, mountaineers etc.. also liked to ride bikes in the woods. For lack of a better term the "granola" types who probably read the Monkeywrench gang and might kick around a hacky sack at the trailhead. Many of these people were probably liberal or maybe libertarian politically and would consider themselves "green."

I think that a heavy Moto ( and maybe BMX) influence has really changed this though as the sport has progressed over the years. The increasing ability of the bikes and the increasing speed/amplitude at which we're capable of riding has made it have a lot more of an appeal to bro-culture, adrenaline junkie types. In my area, this is also a result of it being much easier to access MTB trails than moto areas. And I'll stereotype is pretty much dominated by the people at the highest levels of the sport, especially in DH and Enduro. While at one time it seemed like a bunch of hippies were riding bikes in the woods, you're just as likely to see a dude driving a massive gas-guzzling truck burning coal and plastered with Fox Racing, Trump, and NRA stickers.

Anyway, not complaining, but I think it's interesting. My perception of the evolving culture of MTB could also be colored by where I was at, personally, when I first got into the sport in the 90s and where I'm at, personally, as I've reentered the sport in my 40s.

Formerly of Kent
    Being a guilty party for at least one of the "macho" actions described, I have to ask:

Why is suggesting that someone CAN do something on an alternate piece of equipment a bad thing? Are we supposed to feel bad for making suggestions outside of what the majority would use for a given task, because it might offend someone? On the other side of the coin, why do people get upset when someone suggests something that doesn't align with their personal preferences?
    Death from Below.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Short answer: guys can be dicks.

I vote MTBR adds a Philosophy subforum and Ninjichor for Moderator.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Testosterone. Some like to flail it. Some don’t have enough of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Does anyone know where I can find a pair of faux-leather minimalist sneakers? Asking for a friend, thanks.

Interplanetary Poultry

Someone asking for opinions on 10-50 12spd cassettes. "Macho" replies: "you don't need a 50t cog, that's weak!" "I've been on 42t and I've never wanted more" "I've been on 36t" "people have been singlespeeding up that kind of stuff!"

Someone asks for opinions on a 120+mm FS bike. "Macho" replies: "I recommend this 100mm option, since it can do the same thing yet be better in case you want to race XC." "120mm is just XC with baggy clothes, get a real man's bike." "I pass people riding on these bikes with my 100mm HT at half the cost of that."

Someone asks for protective gear opinions. "Macho" replies: "I don't know how people and ride in all that stuff, do they not ride hard enough to sweat? It probably stinks" "I bought knee pads but I noticed that I never landed on them in a fall, which are rare. I've recently gone without them, and am happier." "I've seen some noobs that looked like a clown or storm trooper, ride off 1-2' drops. What a joke!"

Someone asks for upgrade opinions in general, examining weight and price, but curious about strength and reliability. "Macho" replies, "<ignores question about str and reliability> dude, spend that on your wheels, where you get actual performance, or just get more fit. Saving some weight there is like the equivalent of not eating some cookies." "<ignores everything and just blurts opinion> Looks flexy."

Someone brings up emtb... oh no...

I don't know what term really fits better than "macho" to describe that. There's the stuff on the opposite spectrum too, like people encouraging things in the other direction, manipulators who talk others into guinea pigging some new products based on some hack understanding of the marketing, that seems no less stupid. I wanted say they're conservative and progressive viewpoints, but that seems way too oversimplified (more open to argument), not to mentions opens another can of worms due to being political connotations.

Not implying it's unwelcome. I suppose I want to understand what I dislike about it. Seems to be jumping to conclusions to just say it's toxic or repulsive, as it could just be my personal reaction to such. From a neutral academic viewpoint, what is it?

- Prejudice?
    - Bias?
    - Ignorance?
    - Simplicity (lack of depth)?
    - Insecurity?
    - Boredom (keeping up some running joke/tradition)?
    - Insensitivity?

Is there a certain personality type that does this? Something like a Machiavellian type?

Is it bullying? Pressuring people to conform to some unwritten standard (something deserving of manly pride)?
    Personally, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt most of the time. When someone insists that you don't need a 50t granny gear I assume they live in a relatively flat area or they only climb fire roads. Maybe they simply can't relate to someone else being in worse physical condition than them, or maybe they are running a 28t front chainring. . . .
    Sometimes it's the other way around. A person new to the sport might not realize just how tough these bikes are and assume you need an EWS capable rig to ride the rocks on their local XC trails. I've seen plenty of guys who are new to the sport buy long travel enduro rigs and show up to the trailhead geared up for a WC downhill run. I get more frustrated with the bike shops than anything when I see that. Think of it this way, if someone asks you which weight of sledge hammer is best for hanging pictures, are you going to recommend a quality sledge hammer or are you going to point out that maybe it's not the right tool for the job?
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    1) Internet anonymity can turn people who would normally stay silent into total d-bags.

2) Internet anonymity can give d-bags a larger audience , which feeds their d-baggery.

On another forum, I got into a discussion/argument/debate that became rather heated. I always support my argument with facts. More than one of the other "combatants" had little more than feelings. He turned to the insult game, accusing me of being a parent's-basement-dwelling-Dorito-eating-mouth-breather who knew nothing of what he spoke and was lying about what he did for a living.

I posted my info and phone number, and invited anyone to call me if they wanted to have an actual conversation with me, instead of hiding behind their keyboard.

ONE guy called, and left me a message. I called him back within 5 minutes and he didn't answer. Same thing on 2 more tries.

Macho men. At least when they are hiding behind a keyboard and a screen...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Being a guilty party for at least one of the "macho" actions described, I have to ask:

Why is suggesting that someone CAN do something on an alternate piece of equipment a bad thing?
    IMO, it's all about the way the information is presented. In a lot of cases (not pointing out any in particular, just general trends I've seen here), there's an implication that you're less of a rider if you don't do it this particular way. I've actually observed it come out sometimes in in-person conversations. And not just two buddies giving each other a hard time.

My wife was actually told by a random guy in person at the trailhead that real cyclists ride with clipless pedals. What a shitty thing to say to someone, right? It was pretty priceless when he said that she could never do a bunny hop on platform pedals (and then demonstrated a level lift, not a true bunny hop) and then she repeated exactly what he demonstrated right then.

I've been around the block enough and I've spent enough time with beginner riders to see that there are some serious barriers to entry for mtb. Yes, mountain biking is hard, but people have to start it somewhere. In a lot of cases, yes, fitness is one of those barriers. Yes, bike handling skills are one of those barriers. Too many people here forget what it's like to be a new rider. It can be VERY un-fun to go out for a bike ride and wind up feeling so overwhelmed that you don't see a path to progress. Equipment changes (like lower gearing, which is the main place I see the toxic macho attitudes come out) can help those riders out just enough that they're willing to tough out the work necessary to improve their fitness. It's not wrong or bad for them to want that, and it can be very helpful in the long run. It doesn't really matter what a high fitness person CAN do at that point. That rider isn't likely to be there anytime soon, so what's more important is what THEY can do to help themselves progress and still enjoy riding in the meantime.

I will probably never reach the same level of fitness as you. Some riders will probably never attain the level of fitness that I have. I try hard not to forget that.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Don't over think it, ninjichor. If someone posts, asking for an opinion, well, then they'll get just that. Opinions. Good, bad, whatever.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I wonder how many years (decades?) it's been before this thread since I've read the term "macho." I think it's due for a comeback.

mtbr member
    On my last proper MTB ride I was cought during a climb ( one of those hour long ones ) by a dude on an old Giant hardtail. You know - 26" wheels, 3x8 drivetrain, barely any suspension. I was on my dual 7" travel, 63 HTA enduro rig.

And seriosly, I didn't consent to being passed, damnit. So I chased the guy, cought him and, spilling my guts, continued to gain on him.

But I lost steam some time later, and he passed me.

So I rushed, with heart racing, and cought him.

And thus he steamed on after me and got me some time later.

We traded places a few more times, without even uttering a word. We just mutually understood that by giving our best to chase the opponent, we also grow and become better. Even if just a bit.

After forty minutes, hammered, we arrived at the top, exchanged pleasantries and went on our respective ways

I'm 40 and about so was him. On our way we were swallowed by some racer type fellow half our age.

Shit happens ^
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Oct 2019

Hmmmm.
    I happen to be a psychologist. And my first take would be: various people do it out of various reasons. And even same person can do it for different reasons.

If I would have to chose one personality trait behind it, I would not go into Machiavelism (it can be some overlap, but that is not the best way to describe it/explain it). I would rather go for low Agreeableness. It is well documented, relatively broad, and it is not always a negative trait (at least it does have some positive effects).

mtbr member
    So are the Village People.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Wolf View Post
    I would rather go for low Agreeableness
    that's where you're totally wrong...

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Haven't seen this many grumpy old people since the buffet at Golden Corral ran out of shrimp.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It's more of a long, low, slack agreeableness.

mtbr member
    "Macho" has a small johnson and has to make up for his perceived lack of manliness and boost himself up by belittling others.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It's more of a long, low, slack agreeableness.
    HaHaHaHaHa

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    All right. Give us some (preferably) empiric arguments (or at least very articulated common sense ones) why I‘m wrong. And then give us some ideas, what is yours humble opinion on the topic.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I'll have to lol here since you don't need the rep, apparently.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Interplanetary Poultry
    ....I would rather go for low Agreeableness....Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    All right. Give us some (preferably) empiric arguments (or at least very articulated common sense ones) why I‘m wrong. And then give us some ideas, what is yours humble opinion on the topic.

Woooosh
    . . . . . . . .

Bikesexual
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Human shaped object
    Yeah the "MRBro culture" is strong. Disagree with someone, and it must mean that "you must not ride" or the riding you do isn't "really mountain biking". After that, the name calling. It is evidenced in some of the responses in this thread. I am sympathetic to the OP, he seems to be getting hit with it for trying to have a serious discussion.
    Don't call it being a man, that's a silly excuse to be toxic. Don't call it tough love, that's not love. It is pettiness, vanity, ego, and "sword shaming".
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works

Up In Smoke
    User beware: Post at own risk.

Have any of you opened with...never mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uzurpator View Post
    On my last proper MTB ride I was cought during a climb ( one of those hour long ones ) by a dude on an old Giant hardtail. You know - 26" wheels, 3x8 drivetrain, barely any suspension. I was on my dual 7" travel, 63 HTA enduro rig.

And seriosly, I didn't consent to being passed, damnit. So I chased the guy, cought him and, spilling my guts, continued to gain on him.

We traded places a few more times, without even uttering a word. We just mutually understood that by giving our best to chase the opponent, we also grow and become better. Even if just a bit.

After forty minutes, hammered, we arrived at the top, exchanged pleasantries and went on our respective ways

I'm 40 and about so was him. On our way we were swallowed by some racer type fellow half our age.
    I think he was flirting with you.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post

I posted my info and phone number, and invited anyone to call me if they wanted to have an actual conversation with me, instead of hiding behind their keyboard.

I'm pretty sure if you post your number here that Whalenard will call you. Do it. Do it!!!!

Give'er!
    I'm a dumble**** so I kinda set my own pace. The funniest comment I got was "It isn't that cold yet!" while on a rail trail. The dude kept talking as he passed but I don't recall what he said after that! I remember thinking to myself "Well that was odd!"

I much prefer athletes over macho. Another time on a different bike I was winded and stepped off to the side of the trail when someone was coming up behind me and I was in disbelief! He politely thanked me when I watche him power up the steep loose climb that did me in!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    At one time, MTB was a pretty crunchy sport in my experience. A lot of people who were backpackers, naturalists, climbers, mountaineers etc.. also liked to ride bikes in the woods. For lack of a better term the "granola" types who probably read the Monkeywrench gang and might kick around a hacky sack at the trailhead. Many of these people were probably liberal or maybe libertarian politically and would consider themselves "green."
    Whoa, dude. I just had a flashback to 1981. It's like you can see right into my soul. What's your sign?
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    I'm pretty sure if you post your number here that Whalenard will call you. Do it. Do it!!!!
    Yeah, I'll go all Marty Finkle on your ass.
    https://youtu.be/Ra70O9nps6E

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Haven't seen this many grumpy old people since the buffet at Golden Corral ran out of shrimp.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

searchin for Animal Chin
    is "macho" even a word anymore? I was just reading a story on how big tech is making male and female emojis look the same, wut the

some weird crazed desert dweller.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I think he was flirting with you.
    On our way we were swallowed by some racer type fellow half our age.
    DUDE! This is a family forum!

DUDE! This is a family reunion!
    What state are you in?

mtbr member
    If you need to feel macho, just snap Into a slim Jim.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nothing new about this at all, though 1x may have made it worse.

Still, who are you going to believe, some "expert" on the Internet, or your aching knees?

I got a lot of that when I was starting out, and was looking for a way to get lower gearing on my bike, which came with a 26x30 "granny". Switched the granny ring to 24, which was as small as you could get back then. It wasn't enough. They all said just man up and push those gears and I'd get stronger in a month or two. I didn't get any stronger. My knees got sore instead. It was only when I switched to a 34 in back that I could ride without hurting my knees.

the half breed devil
    "Don't get me wrong, I have a blast mountain biking but a lot of the culture, I just won't buy into."

this. exactly this...

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    or this guy:

I never understood why he always wore ski goggles.

Wanna ride bikes?
    IDK, he holds that coffee mug like a tea cup, not very macho.

I'm thinking about starting a campaign to bring back tie dye. Who's with me?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

WillWorkForTrail
    Lol
    You nailed it and then you threw in a macho brag at the end.
    lol - not sure I'd call that a macho brag. What should I have said. I like my 2x11 and my eagle bike? And my SS. And my 1x11. And...wait. I got it. I like all my very different bikes. Yeah, that it. I like bikes.

Hitching a ride

What I got from this is that you are a very annoying person....the type who bumps up his cruise control so he won't get passed so the passing car is paced right off his bumper.....who gets in other trail users' way for what the **** ever reason. If you want to race, there are races available.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Why is suggesting that someone CAN do something on an alternate piece of equipment a bad thing? Are we supposed to feel bad for making suggestions outside of what the majority would use for a given task, because it might offend someone? On the other side of the coin, why do people get upset when someone suggests something that doesn't align with their personal preferences?
    Suggesting someone can do something on an alternate piece of equipment isn't bad or macho in itself but sometimes trying to be macho causes people to make those suggestions.

There was a member, can't remember his name, who used every opportunity he could as a springboard to say real men don't need suspension and dropper posts are for sissies. He even famously posted a picture of himself riding 'chunk' on his rigid on what looked like regular path in the woods. This guy was a bit over the top but he was giving people advice that might influence what bike they ride for years.

At some point I realized there were people on this forum giving bike purchasing advice for terrain they can't ride themselves. There was a thread I remember where someone was blasting people (on full suspension bikes) for not wanting to actually have to learn to ride their bikes anymore and how he rides rigid, etc...Well, it turned out that he admitted to never hitting more than a 3ft drop. It was obvious the guy had insecurities about his own riding and was trying to preserve his self image but anyone new to this forum looking for advice who doesn't necessarily know the guy behind the keyboard is full of bologna and giving out bad advice.

Hitching a ride
    Oh, the rigid bike people are hilarious. One of them on here didn't know that the purpose of suspension was for traction. He thought it was for comfort.....(for weaklings I'm sure).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    What I got from this is that you are a very annoying person...
    Internet. A place where you will always find people that always assume the worst intentions about anything.

mtbr member
    Because he's the 2nd greatest Intercontinental Champion of all-time! Ohhh yeeaahhh!!! (right behind The Honky Tonk Man)

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    Yeah the "MRBro culture" is strong. Disagree with someone, and it must mean that "you must not ride" or the riding you do isn't "really mountain biking". After that, the name calling. It is evidenced in some of the responses in this thread. I am sympathetic to the OP, he seems to be getting hit with it for trying to have a serious discussion.
    Don't call it being a man, that's a silly excuse to be toxic. Don't call it tough love, that's not love. It is pettiness, vanity, ego, and "sword shaming".
    It is strong on the internet. I have never seen it in real life between actual mountain bikers.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    It is strong on the internet. I have never seen it in real life between actual mountain bikers.
    This is the truth.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Woooosh
    Uh, yep!!

mtbr member
    Ummmm...where did Ninjachor go? I sense a Picard puppet...

Up In Smoke
    You are all really nice people, thanks for all the help and useful advice. Have a great day

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I'm thinking about starting a campaign to bring back tie dye. Who's with me?
    Tiedye never really left, but we could always use some more.

banned
    Oct 2019

I never saw it either. It‘s partly anonymity. Partly effect of indirekt communication. If we don‘t see and hear person we are talking to, we miss those non-verbal cues that clearly communicate emotions of others, and we tend to see others as more abstract entities. Hence it is easier to be harsh toward others online. And perceived anonymity gives us sense of being protected from potential retaliation of the victim, or negative reactions of others.

In person, most bikers are decent, helpful people. Now I‘m getting into philosophy - but I doubt that people are born inherently evil (or inherently good). Even psychopathic behavior of otherwise healthy individuals can be explained as a learned mechanisms of adaptations, wich happen to be dysfunctional on a social level. And cases of cruel behavior as a consequence of brain dysfunctions have also been well documented.

No one came to this world with the idea: Oh yeah, I‘m gonna do everything I can to make others suffer. It is simply (actually quite complicated) the case, for some people, that the way to obtain personal satisfaction, goes through other people‘s misery.

orthonormal
    Get off of my lawn!
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

9 lives
    Ya... all dick swinging until the dude gets chicked
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Opposite paradigm- If twinkle like me can do it, so can others....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Ya... all dick swinging until the dude gets chicked
    You said a mouthful there cyclelicious! I’ve seen it many times on group rides with guys that haven’t ridden with my wife, and she blows the doors off men half her age, even on the downs!

Btw......I have to spread some reputation around before giving it to cyclelicious again

banned
    Oct 2019
    Reading this thread I came to suspicion that being „macho“ perhaps does not mean the same thing in north America, and here where I came from (Europe).

Here, being a „macho guy“ means something more like „minding my own business“. At least, until someone directly asks for an opinion, or help. Yes, there are also here many who act in that aggressively opinionated way, but it would rather be called simply being an a**hole, a p*ick, or some similar curse word, than being a „macho“.

Also, a guy being offended by, for example, women riding faster on the trail, would be considered as showing weakness, not as being „macho“. Being „macho“ would be considered more something like „ I could not care less about it“, or even more extreme „no one shall ever see me bothered or excited about anything“.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    You said a mouthful there cyclelicious! I’ve seen it many times on group rides with guys that haven’t ridden with my wife, and she blows the doors off men half her age, even on the downs!

Btw......I have to spread some reputation around before giving it to cyclelicious again
    I got her for both of us. I hardly ever ride with my younger sister who is 54 for this reason. She’s raced mtb and road for 26 years. I’ve never seen a guy beat her on any ride. I don’t like holding her up so I rarely ride with her.

One ring to mash them all
    I got her for both of us. I hardly ever ride with my younger sister who is 54 for this reason. She’s raced mtb and road for 26 years. I’ve never seen a guy beat her on any ride. I don’t like holding her up so I rarely ride with her.
    Fill her frame with sand when she's not looking.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
    — Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Hmmm...thinking. Probably still wouldn’t hold her back enough.

banned
    Oct 2019
    And also fill the tires with water, that shall do the trick

And also fill the tires with water, that shall do the trick

Here she is leading the pack in a race in Wyoming last year. Does it look like she’s breathing hard? Look at the expressions on the ones behind her. Lol

Macho culture in MTB? Is this the right term?-a31eaddf-b185-4579-b93c-479ae88c742a.jpg

Human shaped object
    I have to spread some reputation around before giving it to cyclelicious again
    I got her for both of us. .
    I rep'd her too. Double hit!

Hmmm...thinking. Probably still wouldn’t hold her back enough.
    No, but she may only need to wait for you on half the climbs.
    “Outside of a dog, a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
    — Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    I rep'd her too. Double hit!
    Me too. Trifecta!
    — Groucho Marx

since 4/10/2009
    Reading this thread I came to suspicion that being „macho“ perhaps does not mean the same thing in north America, and here where I came from (Europe).

Here, being a „macho guy“ means something more like „minding my own business“. At least, until someone directly asks for an opinion, or help. Yes, there are also here many who act in that aggressively opinionated way, but it would rather be called simply being an a**hole, a p*ick, or some similar curse word, than being a „macho“.

Also, a guy being offended by, for example, women riding faster on the trail, would be considered as showing weakness, not as being „macho“. Being „macho“ would be considered more something like „ I could not care less about it“, or even more extreme „no one shall ever see me bothered or excited about anything“.

A more current term that's more or less synonymous with "macho" is "toxic masculinity" and it pretty well covers what's being described.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    A more current term that's more or less synonymous with "macho" is "toxic masculinity" and it pretty well covers what's being described.
    Yes, I think that the term „toxic masculinity“ would more resonate with sort of behavior we discuss here. However I also think it is a mistake to see it as synonymous with „macho“. And here is why: „macho“ (in the broader sense of „traditional masculinity“ also contains strong component of stoicism (sort of „keep calm and carry on philosophy“). On the other hand, „toxic masculinity“ is more about destructive component of traditional masculinity.

Great deal of misuse of the term „toxic masculinity“, IMHO, comes from non-selective jamming of everything that is considered „traditionally masculine“ into that term (including stoicism), instead of focusing only on the destructive side of it. Still, it would be hard to argue that being able to control your emotions in the dangerous or desperate situations, is destructive (toxic).

The question is further complicated by the notion that destructive can be destructive in the sense of self-destructive, socially destructive, or both. To put it more obviously - one can behave in the way which is self-destructive, and yet, that self-destruction (as a sort of sacrifice) can be socially constructive. And term „toxic masculinity“ does not make good distinction between the two.

Here is one real-life example: unnecessary risk taking is seen as part of „toxic masculinity“. Yet, first vaccines were developed thanks to individuals ready to infect themselves, in order to test their effectiveness. Is that behavior self-destructive (as unnecessary risk taking)? - no doubt it is. But is it socially destructive? No, it is not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Say what!?!?!?!?!?! They have shrimp at those places? I've never been, oh man I'm gonna round up the family and head there pronto!!!!

since 4/10/2009
    Yes, I think that the term „toxic masculinity“ would more resonate with sort of behavior we discuss here. However I also think it is a mistake to see it as synonymous with „macho“. And here is why: „macho“ (in the broader sense of „traditional masculinity“ also contains strong component of stoicism (sort of „keep calm and carry on philosophy“). On the other hand, „toxic masculinity“ is more about destructive component of traditional masculinity.

Great deal of misuse of the term „toxic masculinity“, IMHO, comes from non-selective jamming of everything that is considered „traditionally masculine“ into that term (including stoicism), instead of focusing only on the destructive side of it. Still, it would be hard to argue that being able to control your emotions in the dangerous or desperate situations, is destructive (toxic).

The question is further complicated by the notion that destructive can be destructive in the sense of self-destructive, socially destructive, or both. To put it more obviously - one can behave in the way which is self-destructive, and yet, that self-destruction (as a sort of sacrifice) can be socially constructive. And term „toxic masculinity“ does not make good distinction between the two.

Here is one real-life example: unnecessary risk taking is seen as part of „toxic masculinity“. Yet, first vaccines were developed thanks to individuals ready to infect themselves, in order to test their effectiveness. Is that behavior self-destructive (as unnecessary risk taking)? - no doubt it is. But is it socially destructive? No, it is not.

What? that post is why I always thought my psych and sociology classes in college were a waste of my time.

in this discussion, stoicism is not part of the characteristics being described. For that matter, macho carries a pretty negative connotation in the US these days, which goes a lot way towards explaining why OP used the word in the first place. As others have indicated, it's mostly not used anymore. You can probably put some of the blame for that on Randy Savage's caricaturish persona that folks are referencing, too. Over-the-top hyper-masculine qualities, that colored US use of the word "macho" for a long time.

The OP is pretty much describing people (mostly men) being assholes. All I was doing was clarifying your confusion about word use.

Hitching a ride
    Internet. A place where you will always find people that always assume the worst intentions about anything.
    I'll be happy to acknowledge that your intentions were pure. However, if I caught you from way back and the you were some gadfly that kept getting in my way, your actions would make you highly annoying irrespective of why you were doing them. Hope this helps.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    What? that post is why I always thought my psych and sociology classes in college were a waste of my time.

in this discussion, stoicism is not part of the characteristics being described. For that matter, macho carries a pretty negative connotation in the US these days, which goes a lot way towards explaining why OP used the word in the first place. As others have indicated, it's mostly not used anymore. You can probably put some of the blame for that on Randy Savage's caricaturish persona that folks are referencing, too. Over-the-top hyper-masculine qualities, that colored US use of the word "macho" for a long time.

The OP is pretty much describing people (mostly men) being assholes. All I was doing was clarifying your confusion about word use.
    That is the point - we do not have Randy Savage (I have just learned about the guy) or Hulk Hogan here. The closest thing to them we had here in Austria was Arnold Schwarzenegger, and he moved to USA and almost became president of the country...

...sometimes I think my entire psychology studies were a waste of time. I should have become programmer like my dad, and then make a lot of money. But since I‘m not a quitter, I‘m actually thinking about my doctoral research (in that damned psychology)

Up In Smoke
    we do not have Randy Savage (I have just learned about the guy) or Hulk Hogan here.

Aw man, these guys are heroes!
    Macho culture in MTB? Is this the right term?-heroes.jpg

Human shaped object
    Poor Ms. Elizabeth, forced to choose between such fine specimens of chemistry.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Edit: I realize the OP took off. Picard must have a new account!

the half breed devil
    ***Here is one real-life example: unnecessary risk taking is seen as part of „toxic masculinity“. Yet, first vaccines were developed thanks to individuals ready to infect themselves, in order to test their effectiveness. Is that behavior self-destructive (as unnecessary risk taking)? - no doubt it is. But is it socially destructive? No, it is not.***

i'm a little confused. injecting yourself with a dangerous virus in the name of science is the same as jumping springfield gorge on a skateboard?!?!

banned
    Oct 2019

Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    ***Here is one real-life example: unnecessary risk taking is seen as part of „toxic masculinity“. Yet, first vaccines were developed thanks to individuals ready to infect themselves, in order to test their effectiveness. Is that behavior self-destructive (as unnecessary risk taking)? - no doubt it is. But is it socially destructive? No, it is not.***

i'm a little confused. injecting yourself with a dangerous virus in the name of science is the same as jumping springfield gorge on a skateboard?!?!

Well, they are both unnecessary risks. But hey, lets say you are the most famous skater in the world, and jumping over a gorge with your skateboard as a part of some sort „JumpAid“ humanitarian event, would help record number of people donate to battle against diphtheria in Africa - would you do it?

the half breed devil
    Well, they are both unnecessary risks. But hey, lets say you are the most famous skater in the world, and jumping over a gorge with your skateboard as a part of some sort „JumpAid“ humanitarian event, would help record number of people donate to battle against diphtheria in Africa - would you do it?

heh, how do i respond to that?

at any rate, i get your point of using machismo(?) behavior in some cases for the greater good.

mtbr member
    I'll be happy to acknowledge that your intentions were pure. However, if I caught you from way back and the you were some gadfly that kept getting in my way, your actions would make you highly annoying irrespective of why you were doing them. Hope this helps.
    Then the problem is between your ears, not mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

I took a road cycling female on her first mountain bike ride a few weeks ago. Going up, I couldn't come close to keeping up and I am the most fit in my regular riding group for sure...She could flat climb. Going down, she needs some work but will get plenty of practice since she can get to the top so easy...

Hitching a ride
    Then the problem is between your ears, not mine.
    No problem here, just observations.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    There was a member, can't remember his name, who used every opportunity he could as a springboard to say real men don't need suspension and dropper posts are for sissies. He even famously posted a picture of himself riding 'chunk' on his rigid on what looked like regular path in the woods. This guy was a bit over the top but he was giving people advice that might influence what bike they ride for years.
    Was it that one guy who typed as if he were JFK? "Droppahh posts are for sissies." "I don't need a dumb droppahh!" Classic east coast chest puffery like that? I forget his name too but I recall he got banned. Yeah, he was a bit cartoonish.

mtbr member
    There's a guy in my group, let's call him Randy, who thinks he's oozing machismo. He has a camo colored camelback and loves to burp when he drinks his post-ride beer. One time during a ride he farted and thought it was so funny but it really just smelled like a mixture of rotten eggs and a dead rotting skunk that had been festering under a hippie Frenchmen's armpit - GROSS! And get this, he even pees while standing up. #toxicmasculinity

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

You’re saying you’re an anti vaxxer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    That is the point - we do not have Randy Savage (I have just learned about the guy) or Hulk Hogan here. The closest thing to them we had here in Austria was Arnold Schwarzenegger, and he moved to USA and almost became president of the country...

...sometimes I think my entire psychology studies were a waste of time. I should have become programmer like my dad, and then make a lot of money. But since I‘m not a quitter, I‘m actually thinking about my doctoral research (in that damned psychology)

Yeah I think you’re forgetting about a guy you had there ...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Having read through this, here is my take....

https://youtu.be/F_SevwMZg9o

mtbr member
    Was it that one guy who typed as if he were JFK? "Droppahh posts are for sissies." "I don't need a dumb droppahh!" Classic east coast chest puffery like that? I forget his name too but I recall he got banned. Yeah, he was a bit cartoonish.
    LOL, yeah the droppaaah guy.

banned
    Oct 2019

Quote Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
    Yeah I think you’re forgetting about a guy you had there ...

That guy moved to Germany, and he did become president of the country (voted by Germans, on democratic elections). No one here gave him any credit before that, and I think he was not a „macho“ - he was rather a cu*t. He was completely non-athletic, he did not drink alcohol, he was against smoking and he advocated vegetarianism. How is that “macho”?

Or you refer to Mozart, or Freud? Well, Mozart popularized classical music more than anyone else, and Freud pretty much invented Psychoanalysis.

mtbr member

Stick with it...it's great stuff! Programming sounds like a boring-ass gig.

mtbr member
    Wow...what happened to this thread? And where is Ninjacore??

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Wow...what happened to this thread? And where is Ninjacore??
    Well, somehow we ended on Trump

However, I have not met any LBS snobs so far. Perhaps because I look like a fit biker, I’we never went into a shop with shitty bike, or asked a question without doing some online research first?

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    The bike store folks I’ve met were down to earth nice guys.
    Very helpful and open to suggestions of what I needed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What's with all the dumb questions. Do you even ride bro?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    There's a guy in my group, let's call him Randy, who thinks he's oozing machismo. He has a camo colored camelback and loves to burp when he drinks his post-ride beer. One time during a ride he farted and thought it was so funny but it really just smelled like a mixture of rotten eggs and a dead rotting skunk that had been festering under a hippie Frenchmen's armpit - GROSS! And get this, he even pees while standing up. #toxicmasculinity
    Having no manners is masculine now?

Nat
    mtbr member
    LOL, yeah the droppaaah guy.
    Yeah, WTF was his name???

Maxxis cult follower
    Honestly, this forum is the worst about this. I don't see this level of insecurity nearly as much in real life or other online forums like reddit and pinkbike.

Ironically, so many on here hate Strava, and yet the locals on Strava are 100 times nicer. Maybe because one day you actually meet them in real life on the trail or parking lot, instead of flaming behind a safe computer screen to someone 1000 miles away.
    We ALL have something to learn here. Post helpful solutions instead of flaming for your own sadistic need.

mtbr member
    Yeah, WTF was his name???
    I googled 'droppah mtbr' and found him...HacksawReynolds

Maxxis cult follower

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    This is the truth.

I've seen it, it's uncommon but it happens. So far it's always been in exactly one place, that's restricted, not 100% restricted but enough that it attracts 'adventurous' types. First time I ever met a mountain biker on the trail, he says "You know you are not supposed to be here." WTF does that mean, he's here too. So what, is he gonna gut me and leave me in the bushes. He looked that way, I didn't even know how to respond, I was completely frozen. So he opens up and starts ranting about F-the military base, F-the neighbors, he has told them to go to hell after parking right in front of their home and changing clothes in front of their 8-year old daughter. How he's been arrested twice on base and then let go, and he'd do it again, and he was a complete smartass to them. I'm like, wow...so this is a real mountain biker...oookkkk.

A few months later, about a mile away from that incident, I'm getting off the trail to the pavement, I hear a lot of people yelling, 2 girls and 2 guys with mountain bikes. The women are more obnoxious than the men. Complaining about something really, really loud, I'm sure the neighbors were impressed. Part of me felt like saying "Jesus, would you STFU, no one cares to hear your stupid yelling about nothing." But of course I never said a word and just rode past them. I said hello to a neighbor across that street before that incident and he looked like he wanted to kill me. After these two incidents, I knew why, he lumped me in with them...

These cases are rare, BUT they reinforce the stereotype that mountain bikers should be banned from trails because they are obnoxious and deliberately break rules just to break them. 99% of us can be polite, it's that 1% that really hurts the MTB reputation.
    We ALL have something to learn here. Post helpful solutions instead of flaming for your own sadistic need.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    If you cannot make a post in the Macho-Man thread without getting political, don't bother posting...... sheeeeesh.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

Up In Smoke
    Its been a year to the day since Hacksaws been active. Kind of jealous of his username

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ahhhhhhhhh yeah that's it!!! HacksawReynolds!!! That guy was something. Haha!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Its been a year to the day since Hacksaws been active. Kind of jealous of his username
    Oh how funny. I hope the old curmudgeon is still out there on his rigid keeping it real.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    This is really not for snowflakes.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Mountain biking isn't for snowflakes. Gotta exercise year round to stay in shape so you can climb to earn the downhills. Oh wait, that's macho.

banned
    Oct 2019

Now Im kinda sorry for being a new member and missing that HackSawReynolds guy. I must say I watched a few Trump videos purely for the entertainment purposes (I don’t even live in America).

I think that the one who goes into MTB kinda proves its more of a mudflake than snowflake (to be honest)

Last edited by Tristan Wolf; 1 Week Ago at 08:05 AM.

Does my purse clash with this lycra?
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Outhouse View Post
    This is really not for snowflakes.
    yeah, we like crashing way too much... (too macho?)

Maxxis cult follower
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    If you cannot make a post in the Macho-Man thread without getting political, don't bother posting...... sheeeeesh.

I assume you have not seen the giant flag they are selling now with a certain blonde executive wielding an assault rifle in Rambo form, ripped muscles and all. Wonder what the neighborhood thinks when someone spends about $5000 planting that in their yard.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Does my purse clash with this lycra?
    Nope, it just makes you look like an Italian roadie.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I assume you have not seen the giant flag they are selling now with a certain blonde executive wielding an assault rifle in Rambo form, ripped muscles and all. Wonder what the neighborhood thinks when someone spends about $5000 planting that in their yard.
    Can you send me a link? I would like to see that atrocity.

Ahhhhhhhhh yeah that's it!!! HacksawReynolds!!! That guy was something. Haha!!!
    I suspect he’s still amongst us in one shape or another. Under a different user name of course. Laying low for awhile trying to build his rep under that name as a nice guy. True colors will show sooner or later.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I suspect he’s still amongst us in one shape or another. Under a different user name of course. Laying low for awhile trying to build his rep under that name as a nice guy. True colors will show sooner or later.
    Hmmmmm, very interesting idea. Who will it be?

I don’t know but they always make their way back somehow.

banned
    Oct 2019
    I don’t know but they always make their way back somehow.
    Just a thought: I happen to be here under my real name. Any others posting under their real name here???

Elitest thrill junkie
    Still in use

Macho culture in MTB? Is this the right term?-affd4dbe-ccaf-4e8c-b376-2ea40d16341a.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    [QUOTE=Tristan Wolf;14420159]Just a thought: I happen to be here under my real name. Any others posting under their real name here???

I thought I was the only one

Up In Smoke

I thought I was the only one
    You should have put a patent on your last name. Also, a lot is two words.

Sir Kayak-a-lot....if that is your real name

banned
    Oct 2019
    You should have put a patent on your last name. Also, a lot is two words.

Sir Kayak-a-lot....if that is your real name
    Hey this is another example of kinda macho MTB culture. A lot of nicknames here sound very masculine.

Now thinking about it - if I had some les masculine name, I would also probably post under something that sounds more rough & tough.

BTW Train Wreck would be an awesome name for a punk rock / hard core / heavy metal frontmen!

the half breed devil
    Hey this is another example of kinda macho MTB culture. A lot of nicknames here sound very masculine.

Now thinking about it - if I had some les masculine name, I would also probably post under something that sounds more rough & tough.

BTW Train Wreck would be an awesome name for a punk rock / hard core / heavy metal frontmen!

here is macho at :26...watch the guy jump off and what happens afterwards:

many of my friends in SF, especially those from my radio days know me as "shekky".

Up In Smoke

Train Wreck is my longtime favorite strain of marijuana.....there goes my credibility out the window

the half breed devil
    Train Wreck is my longtime favorite strain of marijuana.....there goes my credibility out the window
    i dunno man, it just went up a notch or three in my opinion...

banned
    Oct 2019
    i dunno man, it just went up a notch or three in my opinion...
    Hahaha I agree

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I use my real name Wolf. I ain't scared.

banned
    Oct 2019

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I use my real name Wolf. I ain't scared.
    Bravo!

BTW „Kuhl“ means „cool“ in German

Co Springs

IMO, This here sums up a lot of it; "Competitive spirit. Oneupsmanship. Being a dick. Whatever."

When someone is asking for input, ideas or opinions, it's an invite and many cannot resist an opportunity to _______ .

Make fun of or make a joke, put somebody down, rave about the brands or type of bike they have or just be a tit.

The cool thing is many diq weed responses go unnoticed or better yet, identify some as the worth and intelligence they demonstrate. On the plus side, usually comes some sensible feedback, helpful input or worthwhile keyboard stomping.

Quote Originally Posted by robbnj View Post
    On another forum, I got into a discussion/argument/debate that became rather heated. I always support my argument with facts. More than one of the other "combatants" had little more than feelings. He turned to the insult game, accusing me of being a parent's-basement-dwelling-Dorito-eating-mouth-breather who knew nothing of what he spoke and was lying about what he did for a living.
    Sorry about that. They obviously mixed you up with me. I'd recognize myself anywhere !

Because if he wasn't wearing them, you wouldn't know it was him ?

Here she is leading the pack in a race in Wyoming last year. Does it look like she’s breathing hard? Look at the expressions on the ones behind her. Lol
    That's awesome DJ !!
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

Co Springs
    What I got from this is that you are a very annoying person....the type who bumps up his cruise control so he won't get passed so the passing car is paced right off his bumper.....who gets in other trail users' way for what the **** ever reason. If you want to race, there are races available.
    I read it a bit differently. Guys keeping it a fun kind of competitive and one who isn't afraid to mention some details that could be ... belittling ? lol

"On my last proper MTB ride I was cought during a climb ( one of those hour long ones ) by a dude on an old Giant hardtail. You know - 26" wheels, 3x8 drivetrain, barely any suspension. I was on my dual 7" travel, 63 HTA enduro rig."
    bachman must spread some Reputation around before giving it to himself again. :madman:

Nat
    mtbr member
    BTW „Kuhl“ means „cool“ in German
    Okay, your leading quotation marks down low instead of up high are giving me anxiety.

banned
    Oct 2019
    Okay, your leading quotation marks down low instead of up high are giving me anxiety.
    That’s automatic on iPhone with German keyboard.

Nat
    mtbr member
    That’s automatic on iPhone with German keyboard.

I was wondering about that. In the German language do you use low quotes?

banned
    Oct 2019
    I was wondering about that. In the German language do you use low quotes?
    Opening with low, closing with high.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Opening with low, closing with high.

Very interesting. I did not know that.

mtbr member
    Apparently you've never met me on the trail.

I'm a total dick.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

banned
    Oct 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Apparently you've never met me on the trail.

I'm a total dick.
    Im nice on the trail cause its a happy time for me.
    But annoy me when I work or wanna eat or sleep, then you have a problem.

Human shaped object

To sum up, never annoy a hungry or sleepy Wolf. Seems logical.

BTW, Matti isn't my real name, it's Matthew. The Thundrrr part is from my motosikkle and bass playing days. I used to bring da noise.

Meatbomb
    Is it normal for one of my testicles to be considerably larger than the other two?

CEO Product Failure
    The original post reads like the definition of a retro-grouch.

mtbr member

If you consider my username and avatar, then it might be apparent that I'm rarely serious. I chose "Curveball" to be lighthearted and goofy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Is it normal for one of my testicles to be considerably larger than the other two?
    Completely normal and nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Post up pics and let's see how macho this forum really is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

banned
    Oct 2019
    What!!! You have only three?!?!?!

Bikesexual
    He who has the most testicles, shall be named MTBR's Macho Man.

Actually, I just realized I ride a Macho Man.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been having some thoughts about this lately, actually...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    If you consider my username and avatar...
    Given your username, I really don't need to see your testicles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    He who has the most testicles, shall be named MTBR's Macho Man.

Actually, I just realized I ride a Macho Man.
    These two statements kinda freak me out

Rider
    Nov 2019
    Just a thought: I happen to be here under my real name. Any others posting under their real name here???Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ok, I'll bite. Am I not macho for doing this?

mtbr member
    As evidence of the OP's post, I give you this doozy of a thread

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...t-1119173.html

...which prompted me to pose these questions:

What's played out on this thread is is a sad and funny situation at the same time.

It's the same as the argument regarding gearing range. Those who can push numerically low gears e.g. big chainrings in a 1x set up, berate those asking for a 30T or 28T or 26T ring...and say stuff like "get get fitter", or, "just ride more". Some people are spinners not grinders, or don't have the time to ride more, or ride at high altitudes, or are genetically challenged. It's sad and hilarious that the "just get fitter" types can't or won't understand and accept other peoples reality. I see the same thing on this thread.

For those in the USA: Given the political challenges that those in the USA, the divisiveness and polarisation...I'm wondering if this intolerance and unwillingness to "stand in someone else's shoes" that we have in MTBR is:
    (1) a by-product of the current political environment, or
    (2) a driver and cause of the current current political environment?

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleDuck View Post
    As evidence of the OP's post, I give you this doozy of a thread

https://forums.mtbr.com/general-disc...t-1119173.html

...which prompted me to pose these questions:

What's played out on this thread is is a sad and funny situation at the same time.

It's the same as the argument regarding gearing range. Those who can push numerically low gears e.g. big chainrings in a 1x set up, berate those asking for a 30T or 28T or 26T ring...and say stuff like "get get fitter", or, "just ride more". Some people are spinners not grinders, or don't have the time to ride more, or ride at high altitudes, or are genetically challenged. It's sad and hilarious that the "just get fitter" types can't or won't understand and accept other peoples reality. I see the same thing on this thread.

For those in the USA: Given the political challenges that those in the USA, the divisiveness and polarisation...I'm wondering if this intolerance and unwillingness to "stand in someone else's shoes" that we have in MTBR is:
    (1) a by-product of the current political environment, or
    (2) a driver and cause of the current current political environment?
    well, these questions are going to make this thread a lot more "interesting".

Nat
    mtbr member
    Ibtl.

mtbr member
    Ibtl.
    interesting, why would the mods lock this, when they allow clear violations of MTBR's posting guidelines (https://forums.mtbr.com/site-feedbac...s-1077662.html) on the thread I referenced (as one example that sticks out)

Here are a couple of the key messages from MTBR's guidelines:

1st sentence of the blurb "Our mission is to help mtn. bike enthusiasts and foster a healthy community"

Posting guideline #1 "The message insults or degrades another member of the community."

My post isn't about politics (which I know isn't allowed), it's about how come MTBR has become a site where too many members lack basic respect for each other and e.g. shout others down. Compared to the main MTB forum here in Australia, MTBR is severely lacking in living it's charter.

I know that humans aren't perfect, but it's easy to be polite. I'm saddened by MTBR's relative demise.

Perhaps MTBR doesn't value this anymore and is intending to change it's guidelines, or is perhaps seeking to change it's business model...maybe to be funded by Central American war lords who love violence??

Something to ponder.
    Happy trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hogfly View Post
    That, to me, seems more like a curmudgeon/minimalist aspect of the sport with people not feeling like you need things.

I think, more interesting to me, is the "macho" aspect of "bro" culture within MTB. At one time, MTB was a pretty crunchy sport in my experience. A lot of people who were backpackers, naturalists, climbers, mountaineers etc.. also liked to ride bikes in the woods. For lack of a better term the "granola" types who probably read the Monkeywrench gang and might kick around a hacky sack at the trailhead. Many of these people were probably liberal or maybe libertarian politically and would consider themselves "green."

I think that a heavy Moto ( and maybe BMX) influence has really changed this though as the sport has progressed over the years. The increasing ability of the bikes and the increasing speed/amplitude at which we're capable of riding has made it have a lot more of an appeal to bro-culture, adrenaline junkie types. In my area, this is also a result of it being much easier to access MTB trails than moto areas. And I'll stereotype is pretty much dominated by the people at the highest levels of the sport, especially in DH and Enduro. While at one time it seemed like a bunch of hippies were riding bikes in the woods, you're just as likely to see a dude driving a massive gas-guzzling truck burning coal and plastered with Fox Racing, Trump, and NRA stickers.

Anyway, not complaining, but I think it's interesting. My perception of the evolving culture of MTB could also be colored by where I was at, personally, when I first got into the sport in the 90s and where I'm at, personally, as I've reentered the sport in my 40s.
    I think you skipped another driving force that changed things from the old hippie-ish days: the "dirt roadies" of late 80's/early 90s, when weight weenies and XC-racer wannabes ruled the sport and drove marketing and design. Much of the 'bro' culture that developed later was (and remains) a direct rebellion against the 'fitness, conformance and metrics' mindset that permeated the sport at that time.

I remember the looks/comments I used to get rocking baggies, riser bars, 100mm fork and 2.35" tires back in the 90s. Guys on garish Kleins with drillium cranks, pinner tires and ever more garish 'kits' loved to tell me how I was doing it all wrong.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    all this macho talk and not one mach man music video?

Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Bikesexual
    Post#33^^
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by downcountry View Post
    These two statements kinda freak me out
    ditto

Nat
    mtbr member
    "Bro, do you even macho?"

mtbr member
    Post#33^^
    Damn didn't see it. Guess I'm not macho enough

Bikesexual
    Damn didn't see it. Guess I'm not macho enough
    You are close!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Maybe it's time for a mustache. Will that do it?

Raleigh
    Maybe it's time for a mustache. Will that do it?
    ... works for my girl.
    2017 Santa Cruz TB3 CS
    2019 Salsa Cutthroat Rival 1