Love for a bicycle.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Love for a bicycle.

So here I am having returned from a quick jaunt to Autozone on Sunset Blvd and Normandie avoiding hookers, dog feces, spit, urine, pan handlers and unknown stains on the sidewalk. Welcome to my neigborhood. Whew, what a trecherous 1/4 mile jaunt just to purchase some JB Weld. As usual, my friendly neighbor attempts to sell something, this time a 8' x 5' picture frame. The only trouble is, where the hell do I find something that big to install in that thing. Oh what ever, it's better than that 1970's Saturday night fever pants he tried to sell me yesterday and the 1970's crystal lampshade. (Shudder) So I gave him the usual, sorry, no money reply after we argue in a friendly manner amid drowning noises by buses and trucks that pass by. Then he goes, you got a minute? I wanna show you something.

He shows me his baybee. He tells me how he has seen my "Top of the line" Specialized Enduro. He murmurs how much he loves his bike and since he doesnt own a car it's his daily driver. hehe. He proudly shows off his paralax hubs coupled w/ some weinman rims. Then he tells me how his stx rc circa 1994 has many a times saved his ass from plowing behind a polluting Metro Bus on Hollywood blvd. Then he tells me, someday when he has money he will buy a shorter stem, a riser bar a newer seat and change his ridgid manitou fork. He also craves for some avid v-brakes. Someday he mutters again. Oh yeah, and he totally hates his cranks circa 1980's. He's totally in love w/ his frame. I can't identify it, and neither can he. It has a "custom skinz" identifying painted badge. He tells me over an over how much he loves his bike and he can't explain to me why he loves it so much.

So then, he sees a RST HI 5 MOZO underneath a pile of useless bike parts he has picked up within the 90027 zip code. So I say, well I don't think my Specialized Enduro can handle a fork like this. But tell you what, I maybe able to sell it on line for you. So then he burst into excitement babbling about how he can now have some money to repair his bike. Repair or upgrade some parts....i forgot. He say's he can't thank me enough.

Well, so here I am looking up information on an RST HI 5 MOZO and here is what came up.....

NEWS from CPSC
    U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
    Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Mark Ross
    March 17, 1999 (301) 504-0580 Ext. 1188
    Release # 99-080
    CPSC, Dah Ken Industrial Co., and RST USA Announce Recall of Bicycle Front Suspension Forks

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Dah Ken Industrial Co. Ltd., of Taiwan, R.O.C., and RST USA, of Aliso Viejo, Calif., are voluntarily recalling about 3,300 bicycle front suspension forks. These forks can break apart, causing the rider to lose control, resulting in serious injury.

CPSC and RST USA are aware of two reports of these forks breaking apart while in use. Injuries to riders include a broken nose, facial abrasions and lacerations, and broken teeth.

These Hi-5 and Hi-5 MOZO front suspension forks, which are used on mountain bikes', were sold in red, dark gray, purple, yellow, orange and silver colors. These forks have stickers on both fork legs reading, "RST Hi-5" or "RST Hi-5 MOZO."

Authorized RST USA bicycle dealers nationwide sold these forks between February 1997 and October 1998 for about $400. These forks also were sold on Haro, GT, Giant and Marin bicycles.

Consumers should stop riding bicycles equipped with these recalled suspension forks immediately. A free replacement fork will be installed at no charge by any authorized RST USA dealer. To locate your nearest dealer or for more information, consumers should call RST USA at (800) 227-6778 between 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. PST Monday through Friday.

Dah Ken Industrial Co. Ltd. manufactured these front suspension forks, and RST USA imported and distributed them in the United States.

Well, bummer. So he's waited a few years to fix that thing he calls a bicycle. Whats a few more years huh? By the way if you're a an excellent bicycle mechanic and live in the Los Angeles area and able to do a parts change for free...please reply here.
    Last edited by Fly Skywest Airlines; 08-04-2004 at 04:12 PM. Reason: cant read text, too small. I need glasses. Wait I am wearing some.

an orig. MTBR "Old Phart"

FREE replacement fork

So, I can buy that fork from your "buddy" for like, say, $20, then turn it over to an RST dealer (if there are still any?) and get a brand-new replacement fork? Okay, that sounds good to me.

Or, are you gonna be the cool neighbor and tell this guy that HE can get a free replacement fork?

And, Charles, watch your spending. You seem to be doing a lot of shopping these days.

Schwinng
    carpe diem while you can ...

Jan 2004

Good job! No questions asked, and free!

I had just finished dialing that number. They're wonderful. All you need to do is tell them you have an RST Hi5 MoZo and they'll send you a replacement fork. THat's no questions asked. I had it shipped to your bike shop. " You can just throw it inside a dumpster".