Looking for rollers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Looking for rollers

I am looking for a good trainer and think a cheap set of rollers will do the trick. I don't always have time to hit the trail so a quick 30-60 on rollers would help me get my endurance up since it is so sh!tty. I went to order some Minoura's out of QBP, but they are backordered with no clue when they'll be back in.

So, do you guys use any inexpensive rollers that you can recommend? I would like to buy a set for under $150. I have never used rollers so I can't really put any opinion into this. How do the PVC compare to the aluminums? I am not shelling out big money for a set of Kreitlers. I will use my road bike on the trainer so no worries of running slicks or anything on the mtb.

I see Nashbar sells some for 100-150, supergo has an alright looking set for <150 but is suppose to be in next week, jenson doesn't have any, performance has a couple sets for <150.

What do you recommend? What do you use?

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    I've got a set of Minoura's that I've been using for about 10 years +/-. They're holding up great. Take a close look at the Performance rollers - they used to be the same as Minouras, though I don't know if they still are. Ditto Nashbar.

Folding ones are great for getting them out of the way when you're not using them.

I've owned rollers with both Al drums and PVC ones. I thought the Al ones were a little slicker and a touch harder to ride. The PVC ones I had still had a little knurling from the lathe turning process, and that seemed to add just a little friction toward sideways movement. That set died due to poor axle/bearing design, but the drums themselves are still good, so longevity wasn't an issue. I got about 15 years out of them.

If you get and use one of those "sweat-net" sweat catchers that attaches to the handlebars and seatpost, it has the side benefit of acting as a mild steering damper, making it easier to ride.

The faster your wheels are spinning, the more stable you will be, so you want to be able to ride in a fairly high gear. However, you don't want to spin out in top gear, so getting some sort of resistance device is useful. Alternatively, underinflate your tires by 10 psi or so, which creates a lot of rolling resistance. I don't know if this hurts the tires, so don't use expensive ones. I have a magnetic resistance unit set on low.

Get yourself a big fan or two or three. You can overheat pretty easily working hard with no natural breeze. If you're sweating profusely and getting soaked, your body is shunting a lot of blood to your skin, desperately trying to keep itself from cooking. You won't be getting a good workout - just straining the system. I have a fan on a stand pointed at my head, and another on the floor pointed at my body. This setup works pretty well.

Watching TV isn't the best thing to do on rollers, depending on what you're watching. You tend to steer where your eyes lead you.... I like to listen to rowdy music instead.

Good luck!

Kathy :^)
    Last edited by Lucky; 02-08-2005 at 11:43 AM. Reason: remove quote
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks Kathy, I'll check today.

Nobody else uses rollers? I know the trail/road are preferred, but once or twice a week just to spin when I don't have time for a ride is what I need these guys for. Yes, I have read through the reviews, but the list is not that comprehensive and some replies are old- that's why I am asking here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    http://www.sportcrafters.com/

My wife and I bought a set of these last year and are very happy with them. Quality maybe not quite up there with Kreitler but they are half the price. If you are planning to ride a roadbike on them you will need the resistance unit for another $25 or so.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by diiulio

Nobody else uses rollers? I know the trail/road are preferred, but once or twice a week just to spin when I don't have time for a ride is what I need these guys for. Yes, I have read through the reviews, but the list is not that comprehensive and some replies are old- that's why I am asking here.
    If you post your question over on roadbikereview.com, you'll probably get a lot more responses since I think there are more roller users among the roadie crowd. You will probably get some folks who say you have to get Kreitlers and everything else is junk, but in my 25 years of experience using rollers every winter but 2, I think that's BS. BTW, I got a Nashbar sale flyer in the mail yesterday and they've got some Tacx on sale for $129. Have fun!

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Nothing here
    I have been using the performance aluminum rollers and they are great. They roll very smoothly and are quiet. It was only $120 and seems very sturdy.

mtbr member

Minoura Here...

I don't even use the resistance device. 5th gear and I'm smoked!! They have been excellent to me. paid $150. I got 'em here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...133473363&rd=1

Arrrr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furrner
    http://www.sportcrafters.com/

My wife and I bought a set of these last year and are very happy with them. Quality maybe not quite up there with Kreitler but they are half the price. If you are planning to ride a roadbike on them you will need the resistance unit for another $25 or so.
    I have Sportcrafters too, Colorado Cyclist has them for 220 now but on sale it's 180 or so, this is the second winter I have used them and I love them. PVC rollers bearings will wear out and get worn spots in the middle where the tire rolls. I had some Nashbar rollers and they were ok to learn on but the were done after a year or two.

I don't use a resistance unit, just high cadence and a HR monitor to gauge my workout. I usually ride 1 hour plus a mile for a good ride. Ends up being about 18-20 miles at 17 average. I also watch movies and try to ride the whole movie, but my butt is numb by the time I'm done. I did 370 miles in January, almost all inside, 100 miles so far in Feb.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check ebay for the sportcrafters rollers. Theres a gent selling them and they are slightly blemmished models. I paid $170 including shipping for mine, he even threw in an extra belt for free. Rode them 3 times so far and spin smoth as butter. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...133481319&rd=1
    Trying to enjoy the Ride!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by diiulio

I use them for the exact same reasons you list above. I have a cheap set of 15-20 year old performance rollers. I got them used for $20 and they work fine for me. Not the quietest, but I don't care.....

I also have a buddy who is building his own to custom fit a bike with odd wheelbase. I don't know much about that, but the idea is intreaging.

If it were me, I'd get the pair that is in your price range, and not worry about it..... If you ride them so much that they wear out, then you can justify more costly ones.

mtbr member

I'm happy with my cycleops

I got a set with aluminum drums from Greenfishsports (ebay) for $140. I think they are actually relabeled Sportscrafters. I used to have a set of performance technique rollers. They worked fine too, but made a lot more noise and were not as smooth. I also like the smaller drums on the Cyclops. Smaller drums give you a little more resistance and make them lower to the ground for easier mount/dismount. I use them alot so I wanted to get the aluminum for durability. My PVC performance ones were showing quite a bit of wear.

Hopping on and doing a quick 30-60 minute steady session will be a bit of a challenge at first. Maybe the first few workouts you will do a whole buch of quick 30-60 second sessions. That's how it worked for me anyway. If you do run into that problem, don't give up. You'll soon be able to ride as long as you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0