mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Looking for opinions for a Single speed

Iíve been trying to find a new Hardtail that is either a SS or I can change into a SS easily. My friends and I ride(try) a lot of trials type of stuff. I have a dedicated trials bike but I have more fun on the specialized fuse HT I use. I love that bike but worry about wrecking the derailleur and figure a single speed bike would be ideal. I looked into street trials bikes but used 26Ē bikes arenít that common and brand new ones are expensive. Iíve looked at DJ bikes and brand new theyíre not as expensive as a street trials bike. Iíve never rode one so Iím not sure if it would be ideal or not. I know most of them Iíd have to add a front brake. I saw the Surly Lowside but canít find a shop that actually carries one in stock. $1200 seems like a lot to drop on a bike I canít physically see or try. Iíve never ordered a bike without trying it first. How do the LBSs deal with the issue of ordering the bike and the customer changing their mind due to not liking it when it comes in? Also why is it that certain bikes can not be shipped if purchased online? The Lowside is one that canít be shipped so Iíd have to order from a LBS. Iíd like to hear opinions on the Surly Lowside or if you guys have used DJ bikes for this type of riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for opinions for a Single speed-ba090abd-a3a4-4112-a993-221c1203f9b8.jpg  

Looking for opinions for a Single speed-d21bb4f2-b45e-4f1a-b26d-2794fd63890f.jpg  

WillWorkForTrail
    Have you considered buying a frame and doing a parts build? Cheapest SS anywhere is usually whatever SS nashbar is selling. Usually for about what they sell for you can start to get a cheap frame somewhere, and if you're like most mountain bikers and have some parts laying around, you're about halfway there.

the discerning hooligan
    bikesdirect.com might be worth a look too.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Buy an extra derailleur because of your worries. Ride the Fuse.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Just get a shimano alfino tensioner and convert the fuse to SS.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Move this to the Singlespeed forum, please.

Also please break up that WALL of text into some paragraphs. It's really annoying to read.

Surly and other QBP brands are committed to keeping business in bicycle shops, just like Trek and Specialized, so you generally cannot buy bikes from those types of brands from online retailers.

How shops deal with returns depends on the policy of the individual shop. Some give you a week or a month while others no return period at all. Every bike feels weird on the first ride. You need to give yourself time to adjust to the bike.

Surly has a small market share and a ton of models, so finding them in a shop is rare.

XC singlespeed bikes are usually easy to find, and cheap, on the used market. Look for a used Surly 1x1, Redline Monocog, Vassago Jabberwocky, Soma Juice ,etc.

mtbr member
    Santa Cruz Chameleon. My LBS gives full refund if bike is not to your liking.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks for the replies. You guys gave me some good ideas to think about.

mtbr member
    changing your Fuse to single-speed would be cheap and easy- spacers, SS cog, tensioner. long-term, most people prefer a singlespeed-specific frame over a tensioner. if you don't like it, you can change it back.