Locks (chain Locks)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Locks (chain Locks)

Anyone here try OnGuard bike locks, I've been looking at a chain lock and have a few questions.

If someone had a mamoth sized bolt cutter could they get throught the chain?
    What about if they cut at the pad lock, are uv locks all that tough?

I had my Kyrptonite, I believe 15mm, cable lock that had the number rubbed off so I thought I'd see if I could cut it with my 24" bolt cutters, it was like butter boys!

Not a problem at all about 2 seconds in 1 maybe 2 chomps!

Mar 2004
    If they want to steal your bike, they will... no way around it... you lock it to a rack, they'll break the rack, a tree... they'll cut the tree down. Maybe to a telephone pool or lamp post, but even then someone will figure out a way. best thing to do is not leave your bike where its going to get stolen (ie alley, dark place, remote place, ghetto place) and leave it in public places with lots of people around (bike stealers will generally not steal bikes if poeple are present). and bring your bike in at night. so i wouldn't worry about a bike lock and worry more about where you are locking it to. i ride a 1000+ dollar bike and use a master lock and a thin cable, which i lock when i'm at classes, but at night i bring it in. I never worry about someone stealing my bikes cuz i don't give them a chance to.

1946:2006:2066

to lock or not to lock...

once more into the breach of bike locking controversy.

Security spans the spectrum of...

No Security - unlocked, unattended, out in the open
    Max Security - chain locked to my piano, inside my locked house

The former is unacceptable, the latter unridable. Anything in between is a compromise.
    The question you have to ask yourself is "what compromise is acceptable to you?".

I accept that sometimes I will have to lock my bike and my level of compromise is a
    high security chain and high security shrouded padlock or disc lock, one of the following.

OnGuard Beast Chain ( 12mm ) ( 3' 6" )
    w/ Shrouded Padlock - $70.00 USD

Kryptonite New York FAHGETTABOUDIT Chain ( 12mm ) ( 3' 3" )
    w/ New York Disc Lock - $100.00 USD

Master Lock Street Links 4 Chain ( 12mm ) ( 4' )
    w/ Shrouded Shackle Pro Series Padlock - $100.00 USD

These chains are boron and manganese or titanium reinforced hardened steel that can
    withstand 30,000 lbs of cut force. The only problem is that each of the above weighs 9 lbs.

Sourcing a shorter chain and a different lock the weight can be reduced to about 5 to 6 lbs.
    without reducing the level of security. However, special ordering always comes at a premium.

YES...an equivalent U-lock will provide the same security but is limited in application.

AND...never use a cable lock...you are inviting disaster.

michael

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Un yeah

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblaster
    If they want to steal your bike, they will... no way around it... you lock it to a rack, they'll break the rack, a tree... they'll cut the tree down. Maybe to a telephone pool or lamp post, but even then someone will figure out a way. best thing to do is not leave your bike where its going to get stolen (ie alley, dark place, remote place, ghetto place) and leave it in public places with lots of people around (bike stealers will generally not steal bikes if poeple are present). and bring your bike in at night. so i wouldn't worry about a bike lock and worry more about where you are locking it to. i ride a 1000+ dollar bike and use a master lock and a thin cable, which i lock when i'm at classes, but at night i bring it in. I never worry about someone stealing my bikes cuz i don't give them a chance to.
    Nice but that doesn't answer any of my questions, I own more than one bike and I would like to chain up my bikes at home. I do go to work and am away from home for several hours. Can they get through the protection yeah we ALL KNOW THAT, but I'd like to make them earn it. IF I find a chain lock that can't be cut through with out major effort I can chain three of my bikes together along with a 45lbs olympic plate it might make it difficult. Among other ideas provided the chain is long enough!

So go back and read the original questions and if your not going to be helpful to the question or don't know, shut up. If you were truely trying to be helpful in some abstract way thanks.
    Last edited by Baldone; 10-16-2004 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thats a better response. -Anyone ever cut a chain or uvlock?-

Quote Originally Posted by mrdy
    once more into the breach of bike locking controversy.

Security spans the spectrum of...

No Security - unlocked, unattended, out in the open
    Max Security - chain locked to my piano, inside my locked house

The former is unacceptable, the latter unridable. Anything in between is a compromise.
    The question you have to ask yourself is "what compromise is acceptable to you?".

I accept that sometimes I will have to lock my bike and my level of compromise is a
    high security chain and high security shrouded padlock or disc lock, one of the following.

OnGuard Beast Chain ( 12mm ) ( 3' 6" )
    w/ Shrouded Padlock - $70.00 USD

Kryptonite New York FAHGETTABOUDIT Chain ( 12mm ) ( 3' 3" )
    w/ New York Disc Lock - $100.00 USD

Master Lock Street Links 4 Chain ( 12mm ) ( 4' )
    w/ Shrouded Shackle Pro Series Padlock - $100.00 USD

These chains are boron and manganese or titanium reinforced hardened steel that can
    withstand 30,000 lbs of cut force. The only problem is that each of the above weighs 9 lbs.

Sourcing a shorter chain and a different lock the weight can be reduced to about 5 to 6 lbs.
    without reducing the level of security. However, special ordering always comes at a premium.

YES...an equivalent U-lock will provide the same security but is limited in application.

AND...never use a cable lock...you are inviting disaster.

michael
    I should have mentioned this is for home use.

AGREED cables seem to suck! I read on On Guards site that they have a cable that is 30mm thick ( 1.2 inches approx). I also measured and noted that I would not be able to get my bolt cutters open wide enough to start on such a cable, is this particular cable heavy? No doubt! Will a bigger bolt cutter work, probably.

SO back to the original , anyone out there attempt to cut a Chain or EV Lock? What was it like is there a difference between quality of the chains from Krypto and ON Guard?