Location?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Location?

Former C-Dale addict

Location?

Most other forums have the users location under their avatar or name. It helps to put some things in context when reading. Is there any way to enable user location in the forum options?
    Clever Signature

local trails rider
    Agreed.

When discussing trails, my point of view is definitely affected by my location where things are different from what most others may take for granted. Knowing where I am would let others put my words in perspective.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Former C-Dale addict
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Agreed.

When discussing trails, my point of view is definitely affected by my location where things are different from what most others may take for granted. Knowing where I am would let others put my words in perspective.
    Yeah. It'd be a great thing to have.

For example, I'm the top guy in the pic, another member commented and I can see he's from the UK...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Location?-forum.jpg  

Clever Signature

I married a witch.
    I can see you're both from RCG.

I use that forum too, and find that feature useful. I was surprised it wasn't implemented here. It would help when someone is giving advice, to know if they're talking from an area with the same terrain, soil, etc as you are.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I know I'm new and was looking for the same thing

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K View Post
    Most other forums have the users location under their avatar or name. It helps to put some things in context when reading. Is there any way to enable user location in the forum options?
    I just check the user profiles
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I vote to remove the REP chiclets and add location.

unpossibles
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    I vote to remove the REP chiclets and add location.
    Amen, reputation was the worst feature to ever work its way into vBulletin.

Location showing in the postbit template is the default configuration of vBulletin so they must have changed this for a reason, though I can't fathom what that might be. With all of the technical issues this site has, I don't have much faith that the answer would make any sense.

Sincerely, a vBulletin and Server admin that often can't figure out what most other vBulletin/Server admins are thinking.

*awaits negrep doom*

mtbr member
    I would like the location feature as well. The metal working and machining board that I hang out on has everyone's location shown and it is a good feature.

People that are reluctant to post the actual city where they live can always just list a nearby large city. At least the reader can tell roughly where they are. I think it is particularly interesting to see where folks are from when offering different opinions. You can see what region of the country or part of the world they are from.

I have seen a few times on here where a poster gets slammed for grammar or spelling or such and it turns out that English is not their native language.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    *awaits negrep doom*
    Here you go!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Location?-one-million-neg-rep.jpg  

Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

Former C-Dale addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 11 Bravo View Post
    I would like the location feature as well. The metal working and machining board that I hang out on has everyone's location shown and it is a good feature.

People that are reluctant to post the actual city where they live can always just list a nearby large city. At least the reader can tell roughly where they are. I think it is particularly interesting to see where folks are from when offering different opinions. You can see what region of the country or part of the world they are from.

I have seen a few times on here where a poster gets slammed for grammar or spelling or such and it turns out that English is not their native language.
    Yep. It's silly that I need to check someone's profile to see where they're from. I hate reading something like "And that's how our main trail here is..." and I'm left wondering where 'here' is?!?!

And yes, another user on a similar thread mentioned that it had something to do with privacy or IP addresses... no. It's just a simple thing to be filled out when registering and the user chooses where to type in. For instance, I'm in Littleton, CO, however if I was worried about getting too specific, I'd just list it as Denver, CO.
    Clever Signature

AZ
    banned
    Most popular default reply;

"Its none of your business where I live."

Novice Rider
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    Amen, reputation was the worst feature to ever work its way into vBulletin.

Location showing in the postbit template is the default configuration of vBulletin so they must have changed this for a reason, though I can't fathom what that might be. With all of the technical issues this site has, I don't have much faith that the answer would make any sense.

Sincerely, a vBulletin and Server admin that often can't figure out what most other vBulletin/Server admins are thinking.

*awaits negrep doom*

I'm a moderator over on S10forum so I know a bit of what you're talking about. I agree that the location is very useful since most of the time, answers can vary depending on geographical area. It's always interesting to join a new forum and see the differences they have compared to others that you're currently on.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Agreed

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    I can see you're both from RCG.

I use that forum too, and find that feature useful. I was surprised it wasn't implemented here. It would help when someone is giving advice, to know if they're talking from an area with the same terrain, soil, etc as you are.

RCG has got to be the most nazi RC site out there lol. I used to be a frequent contributor at flying giants but since i havent flown for several years i quit trolling there.

but yeah, location in the profile would be nice to have.

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    RCG has got to be the most nazi RC site out there lol.
    You haven't been to Wattflyer...
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A local bike forum I'm on has location that is filled out by the user. It's very useful to me when I lurk the ForSale section. I like to see where they are to see if it's worth my time to buy or sell and item.

mtbr member
    I say loose the rep and add location, or just loose the rep system. But since the rep system is still here, I get the sense it will never removed.

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    You haven't been to Wattflyer...
    guessing thats an electric-only focused forum. nah, i have a couple of foamies, but generally im a 30%er pilot. love my big planes and gas engines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good idea. I'm from Phoenix

mtbr member
    Location would be good. Of course, you can always click on the profile. But then you are listed in the last 100 or whatever people to check the profile, which always makes me feel a little stalker-ish.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Pro Crastinator
    stalkers gonna stalk...

FWIW, i'm not from the east coast...

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean K View Post
    I don't know how this member did it but it's showing up.

http://forums.mtbr.com/9289346-post12.html
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Why dont you just change your "motto" under your avatar to your location? Or maybe add it to your siggy?

Edit- I just remember who posts in my local forum. I wasnt that interested in peoples location. Just cause theyre not from 'round here doesnt mean they cant advise me on RD adjustment or whatever.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Former C-Dale addict
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    RCG has got to be the most nazi RC site out there lol. I used to be a frequent contributor at flying giants but since i havent flown for several years i quit trolling there.

but yeah, location in the profile would be nice to have.
    Yeah, I'm on there because they have the best Sailplane section. RCG is quite strict, I'm banned from their politics/junk forum for calling some Rush Limbaugh drones screamingly ignorant.
    Clever Signature

Former C-Dale addict
    Clever Signature

Former C-Dale addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't know how this member did it but it's showing up.

http://forums.mtbr.com/9289346-post12.html
    I just figured it out.

In [My Account] go to the bottom of [Edit Details]

At the end, there is another location box; this is the one that shows in the forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Location?-loc.png  

Clever Signature

Keep pedaling
    Cool, I was able to add my location.

I married a witch.
    Added mine as well. Good work.
    My Riding Blog

local trails rider
    How come I didn't think of that...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Former C-Dale addict
    Keep the location wave going!
    Clever Signature

Huckin' trails
    You know it's funny cause I just discovered a brand new MTBR Forums feature along this new exciting Location tag !

It's called an infraction and you get it for displaying R rated location in your location tag

Learning something new everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Members who have read this thread: 0