Local MTB Companies, any in your area?- Mtbr.com
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Local MTB Companies, any in your area?

As a mountainbiker So. Cal. Can be a bummet what with these miserable 80 temperatures we had this weekend. We also have to deal with numerous MTB related companies within an hour or so, drive. For example we have Turner,Intense,Ellsworth,KHS,Crank Brothers,Santa Cruz and many more that slip my mind. It's a bummer knowing they are so close in case the urge or the need arises for a visit or a tour.
    Any I forgot chime in and if your area has such companies let's hear about them.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-09-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Even worse, I had to use sunblock this week.And Starbucks is raising their prices

mtbr member
    You think So Cal is bad, try Northern Virginia. 100+ temps with 100% humidity. We also have loads of lawyers and politicians that would love to save money and cut funding for national parks.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I'm going to have to agree with OP. SoCal does suck. But not for anything in particular, I'm just chiming to rep my obligatory Central-California-native "SoCal sucks" comment of the day.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

Afric Pepperbird
    Kardashians; Hollywood; Lohan; 9 out of every 10 movies made, etc.... yep, it sucks.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    Kardashians... Lohan... yep, it sucks.
    To which connotation of "sucks" are you referring?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Apparently todays schools aren't teaching very good comprehention skills. Not a single post after the original poster comprehended what was originally said.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well it was sarcasm! But I actually do think warm dry weather this time of year in socal sucks, all summer long i look forward to cool weather, green hills and tacky trails; this "season" started off promising with some early rain but now trails are back to dry, loose, blown-out conditions. Sucks. (i think i belong in the PNW)
    '18 banshee rune

Ha,ha...
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Don't forget Marzocchi N. America, I have to drive maybe 7 min. to get there, & deal with friendly enthusiastic technicians, & I'm forced to look at all kinds of new products. Sometimes I even have to endure personal mods & tuning tips for my suspension items.
    & then there's MB action; AXO &; Answer products, all in about the same area. I used to be close to Manitau, but thankfully they moved out of my area.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by kneecap View Post
    & then there's MB action;
    It really does suck!

Kardashians; Hollywood; Lohan; 9 out of every 10 movies made, etc.... yep, it sucks.
    don't forget Luke Walton..

Elitest thrill junkie
    That's exactly what I think when I fly into SoCal. I think that the pollution is completely out of control and the air quality is about dead last (I'm near phoenix, and that is one of the worst). I know people think it's a nazi-state with the emissions controls, but honestly it's completely out of control and we have to fly aircraft using "instrument" rules on bright sunny days, although they aren't all that bright and sunny.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Bakersfield is the place to be, mon ami.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

WIGGLER
    Road rage pollution TRAFFIC lawsuit happy Barbera Boxer Nancy Palosy tree huggers
    Closed trails No more DH in Big Bear GAS prices toll roads no drinking on the beach
    No riding on the beach.......I visit all the time
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

MR. 36er TROLL

I'm sorry what part of "BIGLY" didn't you understand?

... and if we just ...

And what does any of this have to do with local MTB companies in your area?
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.

J:
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    And what does any of this have to do with local MTB companies in your area?
    Walton should get a job at MBA

Afric Pepperbird
    DIRTJUNKIE, please post a disclaimer that you've changed/edited the title of the thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinDirt View Post
    Apparently todays schools aren't teaching very good comprehention skills. Not a single post after the original poster comprehended what was originally said.

DIRTJUNKIE, please post a disclaimer that you've changed/edited the title of the thread.
    Why you don't have a sense of humor? I'm sure everybody caught that. Besides the thread was going off topic I just changed it to get to what I originally intended the subject to be.cheers!
    Disclaimer : I took out "So.Cal. sucks" as That was sarcasm that very few picked up on. Happy!
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-10-2012 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    We have a few around here in the SLC area. Canfield is located here, moving them to the top of my dreambike list. Fezzari, too (their bikes look ok, but I can't get over the Italian-sounding name; maybe I'll give one of their road bikes a try someday). A few big parts/gear outlets, too -- HucknRoll is just a few miles from my office, makes getting/returning gear a lot easier and quicker, but I do have to pay sales tax.

And I have no problem with Luke Walton -- I hate the Lakers, but Luke is not one of their problems.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    It's a bummer knowing they are so close in case the urge or the need arises for a visit or a tour.
    Any I forgot chime in and if your area has such companies let's hear about them.
    Knolly is in my area. I find them very willing to give a tour of their facilities whenever I show up with a nice bottle of Whiskey.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Canfield (Layton, UT)
    QBP Distribution Center (Ogden, UT)
    Specialized (SLC, UT)

If you're going to list any company's in your area be sure to let us know what area you are talking about.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Uh.... Charlie Kelly and Gary Fisher live about forty minutes north.... Just on the other side of the bay..... Does that count?

(I'm not including the location because you should know. )

Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    Uh.... Charlie Kelly and Gary Fisher live about forty minutes north.... Just on the other side of the bay..... Does that count?

(I'm not including the location because you should know. )
    Hmmm "the bay" now what city could that be?
    Thanks for the clue!

Yeah it's crazy, there are so many MTB related companies here in So. Cal. that at any moment you could see one of thier vans. A couple years ago I was in a business park in San Diego and spotted an INTENSE van. It was obviously on of thier old ones that someone bought and was planning to use for another business. I say that because it was so faded and beat up. But it looks so familier I realized that it was the same van that was used in their advertisement broshure in 2002'. I snapped a photo and later dug out that broshure and compared and it was. I still had that broshure because that was the year I purchased my INTENSE. This is just one of the experiences that I have had with seeing different MTB related vans out and about.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-14-2012 at 09:36 AM.

And another time I'm driving a country road outside of San Diego and happen upon a nice house with a couple Ellsworth trailers parked on the property. I assume it's Tony Ellsworths house.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Here in Georgia I have Thompson (seat posts and stems) factory about 7 mi down the Hwy from my house. I ride their trails about once a week.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    It sucks here in the bay area, specialized, ibis, steve potts, soulcraft, wtb, soma fab and sycip to name a few.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

:
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC View Post
    It sucks here in the bay area, specialized, ibis, steve potts, soulcraft, wtb, soma fab and sycip to name a few.

mtbr member
    We also have to deal with numerous MTB related companies within an hour or so, drive. For example we have ...Santa Cruz and many more that slip my mind. It's a bummer knowing they are so close in case the urge or the need arises for a visit or a tour.
    Santa Cruz is down in SoCal? Funny, I thought they were up here in Santa Cruz, about 7 minutes from me. There are a few obscure companies around here like Easton-Bell and a little suspension company called Fox. Mountain biking hasn't really caught on up here yet.

mtbr member
    5.10 shoe factory/outlet is a few blocks from my house. Adidas just bought em but ya I get discounted shoes all day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cannondale & the East-coast REI Distribution Center are ~10 miles from my house. Granted, the Cannondale factory isn't really doing much these days, but I can order from REI and have it two days later.
    Funny enough we only have one LBS (most of the guys are from the factory though so they really know their stuff) & there is a very small outdoor community here as most people think camping takes place in trailers and the only thing to do outside is hunt.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Santa Cruz is down in SoCal? Funny, I thought they were up here in Santa Cruz, about 7 minutes from me. There are a few obscure companies around here like Easton-Bell and a little suspension company called Fox. Mountain biking hasn't really caught on up here yet.
    I wondered about that as well. Santa Cruz is just down the road from me. Oh, also Giro and the big S - Specialized.

There's also a new up and coming component manufacture in Santa Cruz X, XFuze? Fusion, sumptin' like that.
    Anyway, we've got a few mediocre trails like Soquel Demo, Anadel, Wilder Ranch and Skeggs. Hopefully the mt bike scene will take notice of us up here. I'm sure those knobby wheeled bikes could be the next big thing!

Oh yeah, at 70 degrees yesterday, I had to apply the sunscreen to watch the 49's send the Saints home. So sad. I miss the ice and snow.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive65 View Post
    Ha,ha good catch! It didn't dawn on me that I included Santa Cruz. Yeah right MTBing hasen't caught on up in Santa Cruz. Only one of the best MTBing community's in the country. Sorry for stealing part of your heritage.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Like 'em or hate 'em, the Bay Area has Volagi in Cotati, too. I have no idea where that is and I've never heard of Cotati, but Google Maps says it's about two hours from Specialized.

mtbr member
    Ha,ha good catch! It didn't dawn on me that I included Santa Cruz. Yeah right MTBing hasen't caught on up in Santa Cruz. Only one of the best MTBing community's in the country. Sorry for stealing part of your heritage.
    The ratio of Santa Cruz bikes to everything else on the local trails is very high around here. I swear that almost half of the bikes I see on the trails I ride are SC.

Sweep the leg!
    I don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't need to be 80 and sunny to run into cyclists. If I head 19.78 miles east I roll by the Trek factory. While they may have "The Farm" for their private testing of new geometries or suspension systems, I'm more likely to encounter an employee a the Kettles or CamRock. No, amend that. I'm more likely to encounter an employee walking their child to school or at the grocery or at the Thai place down the street.

I think I know what the OP was driving at, but there are plenty of cyclists out there who don't work at a factory riding on that 80 degree day. The trick is to be done with the ride before them and if you're at the trail head before them have enough beer to share.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No one has mentioned the North East yet? Pedro's tools, Sinister bikes, Seven bicycles, Downeast, Cannondale, Fat City cycles, Brooklyn Machine Works, I feel like there's more.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

Ride More, Work Less
    Close is relative in Minnesota. Park tools is 60 miles north but we consider it local.

slow
    A few quick ones that come to mind:

Used to be 5 blocks away, but now across town: Blacksheep
    HQ is about 6 blocks away: ERGON USA
    2.5 miles away: Niner
    15 minutes by bike: New Belgium Brewing Co (Fat Tire Ale is bike related, right?)
    20 minute drive: PUSH
    60 minute drive: Yeti and FUNK
    3 hour drive: MOOTS and Eriksen