Light weight full suspension cross country how much $?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Light weight full suspension cross country how much $?

I'm still riding a hardtail for cross country riding because last time I priced light weight full suspension bikes I would have had to spend $3500+ to get something lighter than my current hardtail. This was 5+ years ago granted.

My current hardtail comes in around 21 pounds. Can anyone give me some numbers off the top of their head I'd have to spend to come close to that with a full suspension these days? Thanks.

mtbr member
    That's a light bike. I think you might struggle.

Low weight is nice but it's not everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Double the 3500 might do it,Triple would.

mtbr member
    The Specialized epic is a light xc bike. Getting it to 21-22 lbs is either going to be the World cup or s-works editions starting at $7k.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Scott Spark 700 SL is about 21 pounds and MSRP is about $9000.

I wonder if anyone has tried a weight weenie build starting with a FS China carbon frame and China carbon wheels. Bet that could be pretty light and pretty inexpensive.

mtbr member
    My LBS has a Yeti ASR Carbon that weighs in at 22 lbs. without carbon wheels (Stan's Crest, iirc). I don't think it cost more than $5k.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    I wonder if anyone has tried a weight weenie build starting with a FS China carbon frame and China carbon wheels. Bet that could be pretty light and pretty inexpensive.
    And pretty likely to fold under you?

Let's face it. It's like saying 'I want an off-road truck that weighs the same as my sports car but I don't want it to be too expensive'. Yeah, ok.

Without spending serious money I reckon the only way you'll get close to that weight is if you can find a deal on a short-travel cross-country bike from a few years ago. Something like a 2010 Kona Hei Hei, only 24lb.

mtbr member
    I do not know about the other bikes, but with the Epics you would be at about double with the Epic Expert WC to be slightly above that and triple to be below that with the Sworks.

mtbr member
    What's wrong with another hardtail? I bought a new hardtail for this season, I ride/race XC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Only cheap xc I know is the Santa Cruz Superlight but haven't ridden one. Think they're about 26lbs. Start around $2200. Don't know how much the design has been updated.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Light weight full suspension cross country how much $?-img_2254.jpg

Nothing wrong with hardtail. Ive just always had a dream of riding a full suspension lighter than this.

Light weight full suspension cross country how much $?-img_2311.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A 2011- 2013 Scalpel Team/ 27.5 @ 20lbs out of the box with (2x10). I got mines in the ~18lb range with simple mods and a 1x system ( still have room for weight reduction).

Not much HT's out there let alone a FS comes close in weight-

You can pick up a used one in your price range or build one up for a little more.

Ohh and yes, its an excellent, fast climbing/ performing XC race
    rig with 100/ 80 mm travel- feels like a HT

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, bikes are expensive. I built up a carbon fatbike with carbon wheels. Is it 21lbs? No, but it's not much more. Expensive? Yep. I definitely wasn't able to build up such a bike my first-time around with fatbikes.

When 29er hardtails came along they all but killed the 3" travel 26er FS race bike. The 29er could keep momentum over rough terrain even better and of course it weighed less than an FS bike. For many people wanting to be competitive and not spend $6000 on a 23lb FS bike, it made a lot of sense. It still makes a lot of sense. You may be able to build up a 21lb FS bike, which would be nice, but you are going to spend a lot of money for that increased comfort, and you are likely not going to pick up any speed, unless you are so good that you constantly get in the top few spots in every race, in which case someone is probably going to want to sponsor you anyway. FS bikes are nice to not pound your body and do long rides, but they are not "necessary", so you really have to think hard. A 29er rolls over rough terrain very well, keeps it's speed up, etc. A light FS bike is a ton of money and it's much easier to build a light hardtail, heck, with a chinese fcarbon frame and wheels you can do it for a pretty amazing price, but it's all about priorities. I'd love to have a 23lb Turner Czar for racing, but I just don't have the cash for that. 21lbs starts to compromise the structure and ridability for all-around rides IMO.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    As the saying goes: Strong, light, cheap, pick two.
    *Not a real mountain biker