Light&motion or TurboCat headlight- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

New question here. Light&motion or TurboCat headlight

Hi,

I want to buy a HID headlight but I wander which one to choose.
    Can you help me out...?

* Light & Motion, - solo logic li-ion / Arc li-ion
    * TurboCat - S25

Cheers
    Jerome

Gravity Rides Everything
    the turbocat is probably more reliable. That L&M arc is a HID light right? Those have some issues, especially if you're prone to crashing or riding in rough areas (ie-most mountain biking). The bulbs can be very sensitive to shock and vibration, also, turning them on and off frequently can shorten the lifespan. The bulbs are expensive too.

I bought a turbocat dual source system about a month and a half ago, i have 5 flawless rides in absolute sh*t conditions with them. The last ride it rained the entire time, and the others were all sub-freezing temperatures. They're also very bright-they over-volt the bulbs to get an increase of about 20% in light output. Customer service is great too.

if you don't already have a helmet light I'd definitley look into the dual source setups, it's really the only way to go for technical riding. If you're doing mostly road riding a single bar light will be fine though...

good luck with your decision.

[paste title here]
    I just got my L&M Li-Ion HID a couple weeks ago and it has been great. Coming from a battery powered headlamp, this was birght! Ive done about 5 night rides with this light and its worked fine. At first I ran this light handlebar mounted but I didnt like it b/c I couldnt point it in the direction I wanted it to. Now I have it helmet mounted it works much better. Havent done long rides on this light yet, but will soon. The battery is very light, I opted for the Li-Ion one, and the beam pattern is pretty wide. It has two wattage types but I cant noticed the difference between 10 watt vs 13.5 watt, both bright.

But it is true what endurowanker said, the bulb life is decrease everytime you turn off and on and the bulbs are expensive. The light was also sensitive to (big) bumps when I had it HB mounted, would change yellowish color, but now its on my helmet it doesnt have any problems.

I have never tried the turbocat so I cant comment on that.
    Keep Pedaling

Aug 2004

light

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerdude87
    I just got my L&M Li-Ion HID a couple weeks ago and it has been great. Coming from a battery powered headlamp, this was birght! Ive done about 5 night rides with this light and its worked fine. At first I ran this light handlebar mounted but I didnt like it b/c I couldnt point it in the direction I wanted it to. Now I have it helmet mounted it works much better. Havent done long rides on this light yet, but will soon. The battery is very light, I opted for the Li-Ion one, and the beam pattern is pretty wide. It has two wattage types but I cant noticed the difference between 10 watt vs 13.5 watt, both bright.

But it is true what endurowanker said, the bulb life is decrease everytime you turn off and on and the bulbs are expensive. The light was also sensitive to (big) bumps when I had it HB mounted, would change yellowish color, but now its on my helmet it doesnt have any problems.

I have never tried the turbocat so I cant comment on that.
    i have the Li Ion ARC. IT kicks ass! Bright as hell, lasts long time, get it, you won't be disappointed!

Lazy People Suck

The Turbocat isn't an HID

Turbocat does not make an HID. I talked to them a couple weeks ago and they have no plans to make one. They feel that HIDs do not meet their standards for durability and repair costs are very high when they do break. I get the feel that they are waiting for LED technology to develop before they make any shift away from Halogens.

I have owned a couple of Turbocat lights and if you want a halogen light, you would be hard pressed to do better. Everything about their lights is top notch and well made and have great customer service.

As far as HIDs go, Light and Motion seems to be a very good option. I broke down and bought an HID at the end of last year and bought the Lume Lighting Strada and have no regrets. There have been no issues. It simply has worked when I need it to and is very bright and is cheaper than most of the other HIDs out there. It appears solidly constructed. They have an ad in the Hot Deals section of MTBR.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    the turbocat is probably more reliable. That L&M arc is a HID light right? Those have some issues, especially if you're prone to crashing or riding in rough areas (ie-most mountain biking). The bulbs can be very sensitive to shock and vibration, also, turning them on and off frequently can shorten the lifespan. The bulbs are expensive too.

I bought a turbocat dual source system about a month and a half ago, i have 5 flawless rides in absolute sh*t conditions with them. The last ride it rained the entire time, and the others were all sub-freezing temperatures. They're also very bright-they over-volt the bulbs to get an increase of about 20% in light output. Customer service is great too.

if you don't already have a helmet light I'd definitley look into the dual source setups, it's really the only way to go for technical riding. If you're doing mostly road riding a single bar light will be fine though...

good luck with your decision.
    5 whole rides? Reserve your feedback accordingly. After a few hundred hours with the L&M Arc set-up, many races and more crashes, I posit that you don't really have good data on the L&M HID setup. The HID buld is expensive - but you'll never have to replace it. Unless you Tinker X 10! Not sure why you think "rough areas" are a problem for the L&M Arc set up either - best guess perhaps? I've flailed the system so rigorously out here in rough & rocky terrain in the western US here and never had a moment of concern (regarding the light/performance).

What's funny is that even the most die-hard incandescent fans turn on a dime once they've used a good HID set-up, especially while racing in 24 hour events...

I guarantee there are few companies with better support than L&M too (if & when you need it).... awsome guys who care about the product & reputation.

My $.02
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Bodhisattva
    I owned the turbocats for 3 year years. 15 watt helmet spot & 12w bar flood.
    Great lights and served me flawlessly.
    Changed to a dual L&M ARC setup this year.
    I like the new setup much better.

Light output & reliability aren't a problem with the cats. But I couldn't stand the lack of a rapid smart charger and burn time is roughly 2 hrs, less in colder temps.

I get 3 solid hrs with the L&M HID's. They charge in a few hours and light output is definitely brighter. But they do have their nuances. The blue light isn't as pleasing to my eye as the yellow halogen, the light does stutter a bit when jostled (not a big deal), and I don't like being hesitant to turn them on & off at whim like you can with a halogen.
    I needed some customer service from both companies and both experiences were excellent so that's a toss-up.

Still...I'd recommend the HID.

Harrumph
    Turbocat's rock, and they are a great mom&pop sort of company. All their stuff is basic with no gimmics. You also can get replacement parts or upgrades very easily.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    5 whole rides? Reserve your feedback accordingly. After a few hundred hours with the L&M Arc set-up, many races and more crashes, I posit that you don't really have good data on the L&M HID setup. The HID buld is expensive - but you'll never have to replace it. Unless you Tinker X 10! Not sure why you think "rough areas" are a problem for the L&M Arc set up either - best guess perhaps? I've flailed the system so rigorously out here in rough & rocky terrain in the western US here and never had a moment of concern (regarding the light/performance).

What's funny is that even the most die-hard incandescent fans turn on a dime once they've used a good HID set-up, especially while racing in 24 hour events...

I guarantee there are few companies with better support than L&M too (if & when you need it).... awsome guys who care about the product & reputation.

My $.02

--5 rides plus all the good things I've heard. I trust these lights. If I have a problem, believe me, I'll be on here *****ing about it, but I don't see that happening with such a simple, well made system

--A lot of riders don't do 24 hour races. 24 hour races are well supported, and long battery life is a huge advantage. the average night ride is 1-2 hours, and there is nothing but rocks and trees out there, this is where a system like turbocat excels.

sounds like light and motion makes an excellent product though. Someone mentioned some company that *****ed out someone on here for posting a bad review. I kind of thought it was light and motion though... I might be wrong

Jan 2005
    Hmmm I see,

Thanks for your comments. It's a shitload of money for a bike light so I have to think about a bit more. The li-ion battery (and it's size/weight) are a big + for L&M.
    however I don't want to end up with big $ on spare parts.

I will mostly use the light in (very) busy traffic and about once a week on the track.

Has anyone compared the light output of the two?

I understand from you comments that both lights can take some rough handling but the TurboCat seems to be tougher.

It's gonna be a sleepless night....

cheers.

Jerome

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Actually, an HID is less likely to break from vibration and an incadecent bulb. In an incadecent bulb, the filament can break from vibration, an HID has no filament. Of course those guys running the Baja 1000 races could just be full of crap since they use HID lamps.

I bought an L&M Arc two years ago and it is great. There is no incadencent lamp that will put out the same amount of light for as long. Remember a turbocat will run 1-1.5 hours tops at 30 watts (which is close to the light output of the HID). HID you turn on and forget.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I have used both lights, sometimes together

I Have a Trubocat head mount and bar mount and three batteries each and I have a Arc HID LION. Both light systems kick butt. They are two totally different technologies but of equal worth. The turbocat is totally bombproof. Each halogen light is much brighter than nightrider halogen units I have used. They put out a very nice beam with ample light if used together, the systems are simple, no "chips" or anything but that is why they are totally reliable. They are adjustable and I have never had one fail on me in any way. They are great lights for rec. use or the occasional adventure race/24 hour race. The HID LION is a great "Race " light. The color is clean and the beam shape is very nice. The LION batteries are so light and small that it makes anything else seem like your hauling a bunch of rocks around with your bike. get a solo logix MV halogen which uses the same LIONbattery and you have a perfect set up IMO. Either way, can't go wrong. I really don't like Nightrider-really bad luck with 4 different systems over the past 8 years.

the cool nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    -. Someone mentioned some company that *****ed out someone on here for posting a bad review. I kind of thought it was light and motion though... I might be wrong
    that sounds like night-sun

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Go for the L & M

I bought mine two years ago and have had no problems. And I am not sure what people are talking about saying that they may have issues when using them on trails. I was hit head on by a car...went onto the hood and into the windshield and back to the ground. My helmet was done. Cracked in four places....ripped the rock lock off....even had guys at Giro impressed....the best thing was that my Arc light that was on the helmet still worked and has been working great for the last two years! Now if that does not say something about the quality of the product that L & M puts out....I don't know what does. They also have great CS and take care of you when you need it.

Jan 2005

Idea! i've decided: Light and Motion - Arc + NiMh

Finally I made up my mind.

Light and Motion - Arc + NiMh (HID)

Good price ($ 339) at "Beyond bikes" went for a commuter light as well for my girlfriend.
    Both batteries can be charged on the same Turbocharger (that comes with the Arc NiMh).

Is there only one Arc NiMh or are there different versions of it? ( '04 or even a '03 version)??

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,
    jerome

Harrumph
    Good luck with Beyondbikes....no reason.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member

Check out Lume

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitty
    Finally I made up my mind.

Light and Motion - Arc + NiMh (HID)

Good price ($ 339) at "Beyond bikes" went for a commuter light as well for my girlfriend.
    Both batteries can be charged on the same Turbocharger (that comes with the Arc NiMh).

Is there only one Arc NiMh or are there different versions of it? ( '04 or even a '03 version)??

Thanks for your comments!

Regards,
    jerome
    I purchased a Lume HID light for my wife for christmas. Very bright, nicely made and if you follow the hot deals link on the mtbr home page you can get one for $265 to $310. I felt like this light was the best deal and it has very good reviews.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    STAY AWAY FROM BEYOND BIKES!!!! If you want to mail order an L&M call Larry at Mountain high cyclery or Bill Larson at Cyclepath in Portland. Both will give you a great deal , ship when promised, and not charge more to your credit card than quoted over the phone. The same cannot be said for Beyond bikes. Do a search if you want some more info on why not to use them.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    STAY AWAY FROM BEYOND BIKES!!!! If you want to mail order an L&M call Larry at Mountain high cyclery or Bill Larson at Cyclepath in Portland. Both will give you a great deal , ship when promised, and not charge more to your credit card than quoted over the phone. The same cannot be said for Beyond bikes. Do a search if you want some more info on why not to use them.
    Ditto. Larry hooked me up with a price match a while back on the L&M Arc NiMH set-up for $325. Got the light as promised, for the price stated, making it a win-win deal.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Jan 2005

This is what it's all about!

Hi Glenz / CDMC

Did some more research and found amazing results about beyond bikes..... Mountain High pricematched Beyond bikes.

Looking forward to receive the lights!
    Thanks!

Jerome